5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

This actually looks like the Illinois Medical District station, thus the M designation. If you look at the station, you can tell it is in the median of the Ike, and the station design confirms its on the Forest Park branch.

A Blue Line rider can... I never rode the Blue Line. I know that Montrose is on Expressway level(Kennedy) and presumed this was the station. I thought the Medical District stop was elevated.

This actually looks like the Illinois Medical District station, thus the M designation. If you look at the station, you can tell it is in the median of the Ike, and the station design confirms its on the Forest Park branch.

That's right below the Ogden overpass. I thought he was referring to a different third rail fire.

A Blue Line rider can... I never rode the Blue Line. I know that Montrose is on Expressway level(Kennedy) and presumed this was the station. I thought the Medical District stop was elevated.

No. Illinois Medical District is not an elevated stop in the sense of being on elevated track structures like say the Green Line. It's an expressway level Blue Line stop on the Forest Park Branch. It was previously known as the Medical Center stop on the Forest Park Blue Line. I think you're probably thinking of the Polk stop on the Pink Line, which did used to be called Polk/Medical Center back in the days before the Pink Line was a separate line unto itself and that stretch was part of the 54th/Cermak branch of the Blue Line.

I did finally get to ride some 5000's.... not on the Brown Line, btw... I went downtown with a friend and took the Red Line. Coming back from Chicago/State, we got a 8-car consist of 5000's. I was in crowded pair 5147-5148. Honestly, the ride wasn't nothing to write home about. However as we approached North/Clark, the Operator really put the brakes on, which many of the standees(myself included) felt. I don't know if some of the Red Line Operators are still trying to adjust to the 5000's braking abilities, or if the Operator just applied the brakes late.

Some quick notes on the 5000's(at least this set):

-There were some transverse seats in this car set. I remember seeing some people facing the front and back of the car, not all facing the windows. Most of these people were near the doors.

-I was standing by the doors near where the cars are married at(that's not the technical term, but hopefully you get the image of where I was at). Anyway, the map display of the stops was either not working or present in this car as no LED dot showed up at the stations we were at/headed towards. The LED display that had the date and destination worked fine.

And we thought Chicago riders were the only ones that hated the bowling alley seats on the 5000s. How about those New Yorkers? Read this.

And we thought Chicago riders were the only ones that hated the bowling alley seats on the 5000s. How about those New Yorkers? Read this.

I don't see anything in that article that mentions "bowling alley" style seating. The article talks about "middle seats," but it also refers to "front-facing middle seats" which wouldn't be applicable, except on the "higher-speed commuter rail lines" (which would be Metro-North, LIRR and NJT).

The proposed layout still has plenty of longitudinal seating, but the seats are just better separated, because it has more to do with people not wanting to sit next to others than people not wanting to sit sideways.

Lastly, I'll grant that I haven't been to New York in a year and a half, but I could have sworn that the doors on their subway cars were already staggered so as not to be directly across from each other, thus encouraging standees to move throughout the car, but their diagrams seem to imply that the doors are all directly across from each other.

Why are a lot of 5000's going off the Red Line and being moved to the Green Line.

Looks like there trying to get the #2400's off the Green line altogether. Harlem Yard has barely any #2400's in it. (just a pair by the shop) They keep moving around Pink line cars too. (look for the update in the "L" roster thread.) By the time the Dan Ryan closure starts there shouldn't be any #2400's on the Green line. Oh BTW, the roll signs have shown up for the Red line to Ashland/63rd. (red sign) Now hopefully they programmed that into the #5000's.

This could be in preparation for that yard beginning to serve as a temporary car storage for the south side of the Green Line when the Ashland (Englewood) branch begins to be used exclusively by rerouted Red Line trains this May 19. At that point, all through-routed Green Line trains will only operate to the East 63rd branch. A temporary shack is being built at the 61st Yard to be used as a trainroom for motormen to receive their run number assignments. (There is no longer a shop building at 61st; that building was torn down in February 2010.)

I was wrong about the temporary shack being built for this purpose. Instead, as another member stated, 2200-series unit 2273-2274 will be used for this purpose. That saves construction costs.

Looks like there trying to get the #2400's off the Green line altogether. Harlem Yard has barely any #2400's in it. (just a pair by the shop) They keep moving around Pink line cars too. (look for the update in the "L" roster thread.) By the time the Dan Ryan closure starts there shouldn't be any #2400's on the Green line. Oh BTW, the roll signs have shown up for the Red line to Ashland/63rd. (red sign) Now hopefully they programmed that into the #5000's.

I thought the 5000's were going to use the regular Ashland/63 signs from what David (or some other member with nostradamus predictions of CTA operations :lol:) posted earlier in this thread or the 'L' roster and Ryan track project threads

I thought the 5000's were going to use the regular Ashland/63 signs from what David (or some other member with nostradamus predictions of CTA operations :lol:) posted earlier in this thread or the 'L' roster and Ryan track project threads

That got into the debate whether the image files could be edited, about which he did not have direct knowledge.

Red Ashland/63 rollsigns are in the 2600 series rail cars, not the 5000 series rail cars. So the statement that red signs are showing up is correct. I've seen them too!!! The OP went on to say "now HOPEFULLY they can be programmed into the 5000 series." I haven't heard anything different from the CTA that they can reprogram the 5000 series rail cars.. Have you?

Can't you read???????????????? Plain English...I wrote "I haven't heard anything different from the CTA that they can reprogram..." Means, I have only heard from the CTA that they cannot reprogram them. Learn to read!!

Well previously you claimed not to have heard but that you relied on something that See posted, which he later qualified.

Can't you remember what you posted??????????? Or do I have to post a link and then test your reading comprehension?

Here is a picture of the red line Ashland/63rd sign. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8539155687_374a53e20d_n.jpg Most likely the #5000 series will have these signs as well or that might be somewhat of an embarrassment to CTA. :wub: (They go out and order special signs yet they can't change the signs on the #5000's. )

Here is a picture of the red line Ashland/63rd sign. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8539155687_374a53e20d_n.jpg Most likely the #5000 series will have these signs as well or that might be somewhat of an embarrassment to CTA. :wub: (They go out and order special signs yet they can't change the signs on the #5000's. )

Somebody better pick up that box so that his or her grandchild can auction it off. :P Maybe call in The History Detectives and Market Warriors from PBS. :D

Well previously you claimed not to have heard but that you relied on something that See posted, which he later qualified.

Can't you remember what you posted??????????? Or do I have to post a link and then test your reading comprehension?

Only an idiot would go back to something posted in the past when there is a more recent post. My latest post...." I haven't heard anything different from the CTA that they can reprogram the 5000 series rail cars.. Have you?"

Only an idiot would go back to something posted in the past when there is a more recent post. My latest post...." I haven't heard anything different from the CTA that they can reprogram the 5000 series rail cars.. Have you?"

Only an idiot would spec electronic destination signs that could never be reprogrammed.
  • Upvote 1

Actually, there's no argument on that from me See Tea Eh...clever name by the way. Bigger idiot is the statement that those @%&$ seats can't be changed. We don't know how many options make up the 5000 series total order but in between one of the options those seats should be changed. Seats can be cantilevered if necessary. Hilkevitch would have had the power of the Tribune had he kept the fight going.