5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

When Yellow, Purple, and Red are universally 5000's, will there be any distinction as to which block of cars run on specific routes ?

If you look at my response to a similar question, I deduct the first two you listed.

Then, with the 5000s, (as opposed to the 7000 spec), you have the issue that mylar car cards are needed over the map display dot matrix. Hence, I don't think the situation will change from that up to about now --there may be a few interchanges, but otherwise people will start posting here "why are there Red Line maps on Purple Line cars?"

Then they should put some of the Orange Lines 3200s on the Pink Line

What's your fascination with wanting to put old equipment back on the Pink? If that's the case they could've left 2600s on the route. I think the Pink is fine with keeping its 5000s.

What's your fascination with wanting to put old equipment back on the Pink? If that's the case they could've left 2600s on the route. I think the Pink is fine with keeping its 5000s.

Besides that, that would mean for the next couple of years they would be running incompatible mixed 3200s [approximately 90] and 5000s [44] on the Orange.

The justification for Pink first was that they were trying the first bunch of cars on a small line. Assuming that whatever the problem at Tower 18 was, they fixed it, at this point Pink is all 5000s and almost in fleet order. Hence, there is no reason to spend more money shuffling cars.

My advice is to put all Orange 3200s to Blue (if Blue never gets 5000s), because 3200s has some Single seatings with extra room for luggage's for Airport travelers, especially operating to one of World's Busiest Airports.

My advice is to put all Orange 3200s to Blue (if Blue never gets 5000s), because 3200s has some Single seatings with extra room for luggage's for Airport travelers, especially operating to one of World's Busiest Airports.

As I indicated above, there is the question what happens to the Orange 3200s if Orange gets 5000s.

I think Brown Line had the 3200's for way too long. This is why the Brown needs the 5000's.

But what does that have to do with operational efficiency?

Heck, the Purple has had 2400s for decades longer.

Much as I like to see 5000's on the Brown Line, since I have yet to ride the new railcars, I agree with Busjack. Eventually, the Brown Line will get new equipment, either with later numbers in the 5000's or with the yet-to-be ordered 7000's.

Much as I like to see 5000's on the Brown Line, since I have yet to ride the new railcars, I agree with Busjack. Eventually, the Brown Line will get new equipment, either with later numbers in the 5000's or with the yet-to-be ordered 7000's.

Well before the 5000's came in, the Brown Line had the newest equipment (3200's; 2600's before the 3200's arrived). If history repeats itself then The Brown will probably end up with 7000's

Well before the 5000's came in, the Brown Line had the newest equipment (3200's; 2600's before the 3200's arrived). If history repeats itself then The Brown will probably end up with 7000's

Actually, that's not correct. Before the 3200's arrived, the Brown Line had 2400's and 6000's on it until 1991-92.

Ok, that must be a hole in my Brown Line history. I know they operated 2400's and 6000's until the 3200's arrived. Maybe they had 2400's, 2600's and 6000's?

Not exactly. The Ravenswood line actually operated 2400s until around 1983 when they were all reassigned to the West-South (Lake-Dan Ryan) route. 2600s replaced 2400s in Ravenswood service. After the retirement of the 6000s in 1992 (by which time all of the remaining 6000s in revenue service were numbered higher than 6600), the Ravenswood operated entirely with 2600-series equipment for a short amount of time until the arrival of the 3200s.

At the time of the 6000s' retirement, the 2400s were still all assigned to the Lake-Dan Ryan route. Two months later, the switch was made to create the present-day Red Line and Green Line, with all of the 2400s being reassigned to the Red Line and the Green Line receiving the old Pullman 2000s from the North-South route. (At the time, both lines also had 2600s mixed in with the earlier equipment.)

By the way, the Ravenswood had mostly 2700s, with a few upper 2600s mixed in, when it ran with 2600-series equipment. Later, 2900s were temporarily assigned to the route as the 3200s were arriving. All of the highest-numbered 2600-series cars (numbered in the 3100s up to 3200) were at the time assigned to the West-Northwest Route (the present-day Blue Line).

Not exactly. The Ravenswood line actually operated 2400s until around 1983 when they were all reassigned to the West-South (Lake-Dan Ryan) route. 2600s replaced 2400s in Ravenswood service. After the retirement of the 6000s in 1992 (by which time all of the remaining 6000s in revenue service were numbered higher than 6600), the Ravenswood operated entirely with 2600-series equipment for a short amount of time until the arrival of the 3200s.

At the time of the 6000s' retirement, the 2400s were still all assigned to the Lake-Dan Ryan route. Two months later, the switch was made to create the present-day Red Line and Green Line, with all of the 2400s being reassigned to the Red Line and the Green Line receiving the old Pullman 2000s from the North-South route. (At the time, both lines also had 2600s mixed in with the earlier equipment.)

By the way, the Ravenswood had mostly 2700s, with a few upper 2600s mixed in, when it ran with 2600-series equipment. Later, 2900s were temporarily assigned to the route as the 3200s were arriving. All of the highest-numbered 2600-series cars (numbered in the 3100s up to 3200) were at the time assigned to the West-Northwest Route (the present-day Blue Line).

Yeah, that sounds accurate, except the part about #6600's and up only running until the end. You are forgetting the heritage cars #6101-02 which in the last run a tear was put on it just below the headlights. There's a picture of it in one of the First and Fastest books from 1992. Chicago-l.org posted a story about it from Channel 5 on the internet. Link: http://www.chicago-l.org/multimedia/movies/ Here's a question for us railbuffs, Has the blue line ran all car numbers in service from the #2600's over the years?

I almost forgot, the #6000's came back briefly for the filming of the movie "Ali". I believe around 2000-01. Also in a First and Fastest publication. #6655-56 and some other cars from IRM was brought back and used on actual CTA elevated structure. A few railfan trips were ran while the cars were here before they were eventually shipped back to IRM.

I almost forgot, the #6000's came back briefly for the filming of the movie "Ali". I believe around 2000-01. Also in a First and Fastest publication. #6655-56 and some other cars from IRM was brought back and used on actual CTA elevated structure. A few railfan trips were ran while the cars were here before they were eventually shipped back to IRM.

I'm sorting out my collection of footage (All The 6000s You Missed) to decide if I should release it on DVD or on YouTube. I even have the loading out at Union, IL of the "Ali" cars.

DH

Yeah, that sounds accurate, except the part about #6600's and up only running until the end. You are forgetting the heritage cars #6101-02 which in the last run a tear was put on it just below the headlights. There's a picture of it in one of the First and Fastest books from 1992. Chicago-l.org posted a story about it from Channel 5 on the internet. Link: http://www.chicago-l.org/multimedia/movies/ Here's a question for us railbuffs, Has the blue line ran all car numbers in service from the #2600's over the years?

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my last post. When I stated "revenue service", I meant those cars that were used in actual passenger service until the end (as opposed to those cars that were reserved for charters).

The ceremonial last run of the 6000s in 1992 consisted of cars 6101-6102 at one end, 6599-6600 at the other end, and 6677-6678 in the middle. By that time, 6101-6102 and 6599-6600 had been very much reserved for charter use for several years.

The Blue Line has run something from all over the 2600-series over the years. When the 2600-series was first delivered, they had 2787-2916 and 3099-3200 assigned. When one-person operations started, the Blue Line had 2721-2780 or something close to that which were restricted to belly service. They started running most of the 2900's when the Green Line shut down back in 1994. They started using the 3000's during the period of the Alstom rehabilitation. And the 3100's have always been on the Blue Line except when 3157-3200 was assigned to the Pink Line. Overall, the only cars not to touch the Blue Line are a few of the 2600's and early 2700's not on the Blue Line now- probably around 50 cars.

• Upvote 1

The Blue Line has run something from all over the 2600-series over the years. When the 2600-series was first delivered, they had 2787-2916 and 3099-3200 assigned. When one-person operations started, the Blue Line had 2721-2780 or something close to that which were restricted to belly service. They started running most of the 2900's when the Green Line shut down back in 1994. They started using the 3000's during the period of the Alstom rehabilitation. And the 3100's have always been on the Blue Line except when 3157-3200 was assigned to the Pink Line. Overall, the only cars not to touch the Blue Line are a few of the 2600's and early 2700's not on the Blue Line now- probably around 50 cars.

One small correction:

A few cars numbered in the 3100s were temporarily assigned to the West-South (Lake-Dan Ryan) Route shortly after the route extended its weekend daytime consists from four cars to six cars in the late 1980s.