5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I'm not knocking that it may have been electrical issue as the spokeswoman said, but how does a problem with only two cars so far as we know get blown being a potentially serious event? While we want to be cautious, we don't want to cross that thin line into going alarmist. The headline of the article after all points to weather being the crux of the problem, but somehow it sounds like you're taking one sentence spoken by a CTA official out of context and blowing it into something it's probably not. Remember even before that issue with the trucks was discovered over the summer, that they tested these cars over the entire system and in winter months and conditions with little event. The fact that they point to it being the extreme icy conditions suggests that one of the older car sets could have run into the same issue, ice scrapers being on the new cars or not. I had to travel down to my job last night in the aftermath of the storm and it was very treacherous just about everywhere, enough to bring to my mind that you can build a machine to better deal with inclement weather but you really can't eliminate weather from the equation totally.

The two other things I figure:

• There was an icing event the previous week. No indication whether it hit the same areas, or affected any rapid transit cars.
  • One probably has to run it through the "stuff happens" website to translate what was given to the Sun-Times, and then discount it. See Hilkevitch's column today.

The two other things I figure:

• There was an icing event the previous week. No indication whether it hit the same areas, or affected any rapid transit cars.
  • One probably has to run it through the "stuff happens" website to translate what was given to the Sun-Times, and then discount it. See Hilkevitch's column today.

Sorry, but I was out of town this past weekend and couldn't monitor the rail systems during the ice event. The prior ice event showed nothing new. There were stuck trains on the Yellow and on the Green, more seriously on the Green. Mainly the result of inproper procedures and lack of application. They seem to have corrected the Yellow line problems by running four-car trains as illustrated in that thread over in the general CTA topics. Shouldn't that be moved over here??

Was the Sun Times new report longer then the two paragraphs. I can't seem to register to get anything over the Internet.

All CTA equipment have ice scrapers installed. At least ten sets of cars on each lines should also be equipped as "sleetfighters." If ice occurs at night or after regular hours, sleetfighter trains will operate during closed times.

DH

I think by April or May, another "L" line will start getting 5000's. My guess is down to these two...

Orange & Purple

Which might get them first? Yellow will eventually get them, but all they need is six and they're complete unless the CTA is going to double that roster to twelve.

I think by April or May, another "L" line will start getting 5000's. My guess is down to these two...

Orange & Purple

Which might get them first? Yellow will eventually get them, but all they need is six and they're complete unless the CTA is going to double that roster to twelve.

I would like to know what prompted your idea that another line has to start getting 5000's by April or May? I can't forsee any rational reason, prove me wrong, LOL.

David Harrison

• Upvote 1

I would like to know what prompted your idea that another line has to start getting 5000's by April or May? I can't forsee any rational reason, prove me wrong, LOL.

David Harrison

Speculation only. It has been a while since 5000's have been put on the Red Line. I know they are still going to get more as new cars come in, but I figure at some point this Spring or Summer, another line will start to get some 5000's. Green Line doesn't seem to be getting any newer cars, just swaps with the Pink Line back and forth.

Speculation only. It has been a while since 5000's have been put on the Red Line. I know they are still going to get more as new cars come in, but I figure at some point this Spring or Summer, another line will start to get some 5000's. Green Line doesn't seem to be getting any newer cars, just swaps with the Pink Line back and forth.

Thanks for the response. I was just wondering if you perhaps had an "inside connection." I see not.

DH

New interior lighting, and a few more cars tacked onto the order:

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=3144

Edit: Ninja'd!

Since the Press Release didn't say, I don't see what impetus there was for the additional 8 cars, which won't make much difference with the requisition for up to another 846, unless there were, in fact, enough credits to make this a freebee.

Update:

I saw this after See's post, so Hiklevitch did explain it in that manner. :o

Something weird I noticed while onboard #5005-06. Those cars have Purple line car cards in it.

Even though the Purple Line doesn't officially have 5000s assigned, why would this be weird given the Red, Yellow and Purple Lines are all managed and supervised through Howard yard? If you lost an item on either of those lines, for example, you'd still get transferred to the same place.

Map of the Purple line. Why would they put Purple line car cards in a car that supposed to be on the Red line? Do they plan on sharing a few Red line #5000 cars on the Purple line?

Well don't they share other cars back and forth between those lines anyway since as I pointed out, those lines along with the Yellow Line are based out of Howard Yard in terms of management and supervisory personnel? So in that sense its not really strange at all.

Well don't they share other cars back and forth between those lines anyway since as I pointed out, those lines along with the Yellow Line are based out of Howard Yard in terms of management and supervisory personnel? So in that sense its not really strange at all.

Indication that Purple Line may be next to receive the cars?