5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

So was a poster about 2-3 pages back correct that only 24 5000s have been assigned to the Red Line, as of now? Interesting I've yet to see one, but it probably doesn't help me that often a lot of times I ride the Red is during non-rush hours. Maybe the Red 5000s more likely run during rush hour service, a la the South Shore Line bi-level cars that seemingly only run on weekdays(and from what I heard, only inbetween Chicago and Michigan City).

There out there, the last few weeks one 8 car set has been in Howard yard though, even in the rush, I believe as a spare. I've never seen more than 2 trains in service at a time and I only saw that once. Last week though for the first time there were none in the yard but I still only saw one in service.

There out there, the last few weeks one 8 car set has been in Howard yard though, even in the rush, I believe as a spare. I've never seen more than 2 trains in service at a time and I only saw that once. Last week though for the first time there were none in the yard but I still only saw one in service.

Lately, I've seen 4 trains of 5000-series cars in Howard Yard. I usually pass through around 5 a.m. or 10 p.m.. Yesterday, I rode one set on the Red Line and rode in car 5163 which means the Green Line should be very close to being completely covered by the cars with a few 2400-series cars to spare. Also, more 2400-series cars have been reassigned back to the Purple Line it seems with some of their high numbered 2600-series cars back on the Red Line.

Lately, I've seen 4 trains of 5000-series cars in Howard Yard. I usually pass through around 5 a.m. or 10 p.m.. Yesterday, I rode one set on the Red Line and rode in car 5163 which means the Green Line should be very close to being completely covered by the cars with a few 2400-series cars to spare. Also, more 2400-series cars have been reassigned back to the Purple Line it seems with some of their high numbered 2600-series cars back on the Red Line.

I was actually able to ride the 5000 series on the Red Line (5092) from 69th to downtown.

Maybe conversely here, and others have brought it up in these fora. For instance, reference was made (uncontested) to it in this post, but the "Other Benefits" seems to have shrunk to just one.

You still haven't cited any evidence that "Claypool made the statement." How does it satisfy some personal need that you seem to have to keep repeating and repeating that "Claypool made such a statement."

DH

You still haven't cited any evidence that "Claypool made the statement." How does it satisfy some personal need that you seem to have to keep repeating and repeating that "Claypool made such a statement."

DH

OK, put it on some other CTA spokesperson. Apparently one felt the need to modify the project page.

I guess it was enough that he stood mute while Peterson was talking in the video.

How did Peterson get into this? YOU SAID "Claypool." Don't you know what/who YOU are talking about?

DH

I guess you are incapable of clicking the video on the project page.*

Or give an explanation why that point apparently was deleted, since I doubt that our members made it up from the whole cloth, while providing a link.

_________

*I clicked on it to see if there was any reference, but apparently not, but I found it interesting that Claypool, who is supposedly in charge, was just in the background, like he was standing behind Emanuel, who is not legally in charge of the CTA. Happy?

"OK" nothing...if YOU didn't know why did YOU say it in the beginning. Admit YOUR error.

DH

Only after you explain why the propaganda department at the CTA changed the web page. As a former employee, you should know.

EDIT: I'm not going to admit anything based on an altered record.

Only after you explain why the propaganda department at the CTA changed the web page. As a former employee, you should know.

EDIT: I'm not going to admit anything based on an altered record.

There's no need to admit anything NOW...intelligent people already realize more than you could ever admit to. Thanks, its been a pleasure.

DH

• Upvote 2

There's no need to admit anything NOW...intelligent people already realize more than you could ever admit to. Thanks, its been a pleasure.

DH

Then intelligent people figure that you shouldn't have asked, since again your intent was to violate the terms of service.

I don't want get too caught up in this latest minefield but in this case I don't think CTA or Claypool for that matter gave a false statement and actually said 5000s couldn't/wouldn't be run on the Red Line before the Dan Ryan project. The actual statement if I remember correctly in regards for reasons for the shutdown was that if they didn't do the shutdown and went with weekend only work it would mean "four more years that older equipment is used on that route" or something to that effect. One person interpreted that to mean they wouldn't or couldn't assign 5000s to the Red Line before the project and other folks took that analysis and ran with it spinning it to something that wasn't.

• Upvote 1

I don't want get too caught up in this latest minefield but in this case I don't think CTA or Claypool for that matter gave a false statement and actually said 5000s couldn't/wouldn't be run on the Red Line before the Dan Ryan project.

Commendable report, concise, accurate; good job sir. And no ambigious antecedents, LOL.

DH

• Upvote 1

Currently on a Red Line 5000 series train. The lead car marker lights are white, and the signage for the first 4.cars read Express. The last 4 cars displayed Howard signage, Howard in white on red background. I am in car 7, car 5124 which reeks of weed.

Update: It appears that the train was ending its express run as it pulled into my station (35th). When I alit at Jackson, all train signs displayed Howard.

• 2 weeks later...

Notify control he has criminal activity in progress on his train and wait for further instructions. From what I saw it was like nobody cared one way or the other. Good thing it didn't go bad or they might have had a news story to report. (Who knows if these guys had guns but that is a whole other issue.)

Okay that's all fine and dandy but what's to stop the two perpetrators in question from just leaving the train either way? At a time when CTA motormen already have enough on their plate as is especially with CTA no longer having conductors on the trains, I think we're getting to a point where we're getting too comfortable with thinking the motormen can do everything. As for that slight implication made about the technology not being of some form of service, don't be too shortsighted as to think that the video didn't get passed to proper authorities to do what they can with it in however they handle their patrols of the given community. In other words, giving the morons enough rope to hang themselves when and if they get swept up in the next area drug stings.

... BTW, I've been seeing something else weird going on when the train is in Oak Park. There always seems to be armed police in uniform (Oak Park Police) hanging around the Austin platform. One officer even rides the train to/from Harlem like there's something going on. I feel like asking him "Is there something I should know?"

Since there isn't a transit police force, other than Chicago Police Dept. officers assigned to the transit detail (see, e.g. here, and page 16 of the 2013 Budget Recommendations), someone with jurisdiction has to patrol Oak Park. Of course, I don't know whether it is out of an abundance of caution or a real threat.

Since there isn't a transit police force, other than Chicago Police Dept. officers assigned to the transit detail (see, e.g. here, and page 16 of the 2013 Budget Recommendations), someone with jurisdiction has to patrol Oak Park. Of course, I don't know whether it is out of an abundance of caution or a real threat.

Well there was reports of thefts and attacks on Green Line trains recently. I don't remember the most recent one(I think it was I-Phone robberies), although I believe one of the suspects was 7 feet tall.

It's actually Pink Line trains, but with transferring possible, maybe they think these theives ride the Green Line and switch to the Pink Line to rob riders.

Story

Well usually when there is a crime in progress the train can just stop between stations to let the proper authorities get to the next platform. It wouldn't take that long to do. What's the guy going to do, run down the right of way. In most cases he's trapped and don't know it. I understand the motormen may already have too much on their plate, but if a motormen can tell someone to put a cigarette out then it's possible to stop this. BTW, I've been seeing something else weird going on when the train is in Oak Park. There always seems to be armed police in uniform (Oak Park Police) hanging around the Austin platform. One officer even rides the train to/from Harlem like there's something going on. I feel like asking him "Is there something I should know?"

So basically stop a train between stations based on something that See already pointed out the motorman isn't necessarily going to notice because there isn't constant monitoring of the cameras and due his need to have his eyes and focus on the tracks in front of him and the upcoming signals along the way (those last two are mine). And this recommendation after the hypothetical you raised of the drug deal going bad and one or more of the dirt bags pulling out a gun. How does stopping the train between stations help your or the other passengers' safety at that point? Since this seems to be bugging you so much and you're the one noticing this, you can just as easily notify the cops yourself after getting yourself safely to your destination.

Or like Emanuel says you can "just drive" :D I'm pretty sure what I stated is the proper procedure, at least they apprehend the suspects. Since you seem to know everything, explain to me why would they put cameras in the motormen's cab if they didn't intend for him/her to use them.

I didn't say I know everything smart aleck, just pointing out the apparent flaw in your thought process. As for the monitors (not cameras) in the motormen's cab, no one said that he puts them to zero use but he's still not going to see EVERYTHING when his top priority is making sure that train gets to from point A to point B without crashing or running the train off the darn rails. He can't do that if he's doing CONSTANT monitoring of the video monitors and playing Inspector Clouseau as you seem to be expecting him to do. Now if he sees something suspicious fine. But as I stated before if this is bothering you so much and you were in a better position to see the illegal activity occurring since you didn't have double duty of operating the train and being the conductor, you can just as easily report the incident yourself after getting safely to your own destination. The video feed can serve as evidence if the cops so happened to arrest your drug dealers in question, or do you think the cameras that are also on the buses keep illegal activity from occurring there? I don't claim to be a transit expert, but I suspect the brass would expect to motormen to view their cab monitors more when the train isn't moving and focus more on the track and the track signals when it is moving.

It couldn't be any worse than what I saw on a Green line #5000 train about a week and a half ago. I witnessed two guys dealing drugs on the train. The whole exchange happened less than five feet from where I was seated. I was thinking where was the police, there supposed to have access to the camera system. So much for all this technology. :rolleyes:

Check first, what are the designed capabilities of the system and is it operational to the extent you're describing. Start with the CTA website http://www.transitch...ives/5000s.aspx

I seem to remember that the cameras are designed to give the operator a view on the cab monitor only "when the intercom button is activated in the car. Plus, has it really been officially announced that the cameras are working in the intercom mode yet??? I know they are not broadcasting pictures to police vehicles at this stage. If the CTA website does not provide sufficient answers, CALL them.

DH

• Upvote 2