5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

It looks like the Green Line has getting more 5000s before the Red Line received theirs.

The couple of trains on the Red Line were apparently to meet some arbitrary deadline given to the press--notwithstanding that they also said that they couldn't be run on the Dan Ryan segment until it was fixed.

Maybe CTA could explain how much money is being blown on all this car shuffling, instead of taking one line at a time.

The couple of trains on the Red Line were apparently to meet some arbitrary deadline given to the press--notwithstanding that they also said that they couldn't be run on the Dan Ryan segment until it was fixed.

Maybe CTA could explain how much money is being blown on all this car shuffling, instead of taking one line at a time.

Yeah, I agreed.

The same might be true with the #4300's. Press releases state they would arrive in Dec. Maybe the same applies at Pace too with the Axess'. As far as the car shuffling, the most recent cars #5165-66 have both Pink line car cards and Green line. Now that's thinking ahead!! :lol: (but they needed to put a Red line one on the other side)

The same might be true with the #4300's. Press releases state they would arrive in Dec. Maybe the same applies at Pace too with the Axess'. As far as the car shuffling, the most recent cars #5165-66 have both Pink line car cards and Green line. Now that's thinking ahead!! :lol: (but they needed to put a Red line one on the other side)

Perhaps having both Pink & Green cards is related to the Red Line shutdown next year?

With Ashland yard needed for some of the 95th yard Red Line trains the Green Line allocation from there will need to be moved. 54th Yard on the Pink line is underutilized with just the cars for the Pink Line so maybe the Ashland allocation will move to Harlem and 54th and there will be even more intermixing of Green and Pink cars.

Perhaps having both Pink & Green cards is related to the Red Line shutdown next year?

With Ashland yard needed for some of the 95th yard Red Line trains the Green Line allocation from there will need to be moved. 54th Yard on the Pink line is underutilized with just the cars for the Pink Line so maybe the Ashland allocation will move to Harlem and 54th and there will be even more intermixing of Green and Pink cars.

I've spotted #5153-54 on the Green Line today heading to Harlem terminal. It also has Green and Pink Line car cards as well.

I've spotted #5153-54 on the Green Line today heading to Harlem terminal. It also has Green and Pink Line car cards as well.

There should be another 2 cars floating around, they usually deliver those in 6's. BTW, I noticed #5019-20, #5039-40 still has the amber signs so I upped my count to 20. (#5013-14, #5019-22, #5039-40, #5043-46, #5053-54, #5069-70, #5075-76, #5113-14)

There should be another 2 cars floating around, they usually deliver those in 6's. BTW, I noticed #5019-20, #5039-40 still has the amber signs so I upped my count to 20. (#5013-14, #5019-22, #5039-40, #5043-46, #5053-54, #5069-70, #5075-76, #5113-14)

You're right. It should be some more on the line, but it's hard to say. I also seen 5019-22, #5043-46 and the rest of the cars have amber signs. Hope by the end of the year, all of the 5000s will have colorized LED signs.

Today, I spotted more 5000s on the Red and Green Lines. On the Red Line at 47th Street station, I spotted 4-car 5000s #5163-64 and #5169-70 headed northbound with "Not In Service" signs on them. Also, I ride them headed northbound to Roosevelt from 69th Street station. And on the Green Line, I spotted 6-cars #5145-46 (Lead Cars), #5161-62 and #5167-68 headed southbound to Cottage Grove/63rd terminal as well.

Apparently the people sw mentioned will like them, but they didn't install the toilets like on Metra. B)

I call it like I see it(or in this case read it). There used to be a site with all sorts of CTA stories called "The Weekly Breakdown", and I've read stories in there of homeless picking up the section of seats some deem "Hobo Corner" in a railcar, squatting and suddenly the whole car smells like a port-a-potty. This was the story where a unfortunate passenger in said car called the motorman to inform him, he went to the car to check it out(the homeless person left the car before he got there) and he walked out of that car gagging on the stench of the pile left behind.

Unfortunately, this is common practice on the Blue and Red Lines to this day because they are the only lines that operate 24/7 allowing the homeless free reign during the less trafficked hours(10p-5a). And CTA security apparently does nothing about removing them at the end of the lines(O-Hare and Forest Park on Blue, Howard and 95th on Red) as many ride, sleep, eat, urinate, deficate on them all night long. Again, yes it can happen on any rail line, but all the other ones end by 2a at the latest.

#5145-46 and #5161-62 were out on the green line yesterday. Strange enough I couldn't locate any #2400's on the Green line, either in harlem yard or in service.

I've just ride the 2400s yesterday on the Green Line. They're were four-cars #2417-18 and #2437-38 was heading to Cottage Grove terminal. And also the 5000s car #5167-68 was also on the Green Line along with #5145-46 and #5161-62 since last week. On the Red Line last week, I've seen 4 cars #5163-64 and #5169-70 have signs read "Not In Service" on them.

I did say last month that the #2200's would make it to 2013. With the delivery slowdown as well as the decrowding mentioned above being contributing factors it would be a foregone conclusion that this were going to happen. Maybe if they can get deliveries going faster they can retire those by the Spring, but the #2400's should easily make it to 2015.

Since reports here are through the 5150s (except the for 10 prototypes, apparently out for a lengthy convalescence), does anyone know if the there a big holes in the supposed block of numbers for undelivered cars? Chicago-l.org indicates that as of Nov. 12, 144 cars have been shipped, which would be enough to retire the 2200s, minus any fleet growth for the decrowding plan.

Since reports here are through the 5150s (except the for 10 prototypes, apparently out for a lengthy convalescence), does anyone know if the there a big holes in the supposed block of numbers for undelivered cars? Chicago-l.org indicates that as of Nov. 12, 144 cars have been shipped, which would be enough to retire the 2200s, minus any fleet growth for the decrowding plan.

CTA has stated that they are not going to retire cars one for one and have a bigger fleet. This is most likely reflected in them dragging there feet on retiring the #2200's. If you figure in the decrowding extras from your figure of 144. That would still leave 50-70 cars needed. So they appear to be where they want to be on car retirement.

So was a poster about 2-3 pages back correct that only 24 5000s have been assigned to the Red Line, as of now? Interesting I've yet to see one, but it probably doesn't help me that often a lot of times I ride the Red is during non-rush hours. Maybe the Red 5000s more likely run during rush hour service, a la the South Shore Line bi-level cars that seemingly only run on weekdays(and from what I heard, only inbetween Chicago and Michigan City).

So was a poster about 2-3 pages back correct that only 24 5000s have been assigned to the Red Line, as of now? Interesting I've yet to see one, but it probably doesn't help me that often a lot of times I ride the Red is during non-rush hours. Maybe the Red 5000s more likely run during rush hour service, a la the South Shore Line bi-level cars that seemingly only run on weekdays(and from what I heard, only inbetween Chicago and Michigan City).

In the latter case, only because that's the only time the capacity is needed, and because of electric supply and overhead line issues east of there. So, CTA would need another excuse.

So was a poster about 2-3 pages back correct that only 24 5000s have been assigned to the Red Line, as of now? Interesting I've yet to see one...

It's all about percentages, 2200SeriesFan. If you look at the rosters, you have 76 2400's and 266 2600's on the Red Line roster. You only pick up one 8-car set and without actually doing the math, the odds are you would get a set of 2400's, 2600's, or a mixed train of both rather than a 8-car set of 5000's.

Now if you went to the Green Line, you'd have a better chance of getting 5000's as they have 40 2400's and 100 5000's on their roster.