5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Would be surprised if the Green & Pink Lines operated like the Brownage (Brown & Orange Lines combination) with trains operating between 54th/Cermak & changing to Green Line 63/Ashland or Cottage Grove trains at Ashland doing the same at Loop-Bound trips from either Green Line 63rd Branches at Harold Washington Library to 54/Cermak with an announcement at Roosevelt/Wabash stating that this a Pink Line Train to 54th/Cermak with the next stop being Harold Washington Library & announcing its transfer connections

couldn't be I saw 5014-5015-5145-5146 not in service on the Red Line northbound at 11:45 at Bryn Mawr. All the Red Line stations being redone up north have concrete platforms except Lawrence.

Check your numbers. You must have one wrong. 5014-5015 are not married -- at least not to each other. 5014 is paired with 5013, and 5015 is married to 5016. Must have been getting ready to go in service Sunday.

There are two 4 car sets of 5000-series cars in Howard yard this morning including 5091-5092. There is another track in the northern part of the yard with what looks like an 8 car train, but couldn't tell if it was 5000s or 3200s because it was still somewhat dark.

Most likely 5000's(if it had those fluted sides). All 3200's are assigned to the Brown and Orange Lines.

Are the side door windows on the 5000's a little narrower than on the 3200's ?

At least the side windows should be.

The functional difference is that while the 2600s and 3200s used the door pockets also as ventilators for the brakes (there is a vent grille next to the door), the 5000s are supposed to have a separate chase for the ventilators.

Im guessing they swapped cars with the green line, since the green line had a few sets of 2400's in service today... more than i have seen in a couple of weeks

That seems correct based on the scattered numbers, but unless this is some sort of test, doesn't make much sense.

That seems correct based on the scattered numbers, but unless this is some sort of test, doesn't make much sense.

Agreed. Once a line gets allotted a full complement of the new cars to fit number of total cars needed to operate that line, it should no longer have older cars. I wonder the reason for the back track here.

Some of the 2400s are back on the Green Line today. I spotted #2437-38, #2455-56, and #2467-68. I was on car #2468 heading to Cottage Grove. They're back from the Red Line.

This situation should be temporary since there are currently not enough 5000s on CTA property to fully equip both the Pink and Green Lines plus two 8-car trains on the Red Line. The 2400s should be completely gone from the Green Line within the next several weeks to two months.

But even with more 2400s on the Green Line than there were just a week ago, the majority of Green Line runs still consist of the 5000s.

This situation should be temporary since there are currently not enough 5000s on CTA property to fully equip both the Pink and Green Lines plus two 8-car trains on the Red Line. The 2400s should be completely gone from the Green Line within the next several weeks to two months.

But even with more 2400s on the Green Line than there were just a week ago, the majority of Green Line runs still consist of the 5000s.

Is there some sort of slowdown for deliveries?

Is there some sort of slowdown for deliveries?

Well Bombardier did have a strike recently(I don't know if it's over at the time of posting). The Tribune article here says that the estimation of how many 5000's will be on CTA property by the end of 2012 is down a little bit from Bombardier predictions. That's probably because of the following:

-2 recalls and emergency repairs(first for brakes, second for dangerous wheels that could've derailed)

-Strike mentioned above

The switch from amber LED signs to colored might have caused a brief delay, but I don't know if it would. But definitely the top two are culprits for any slowdown for deliveries.

Quote from Chicago Tribune article:

By year's end, the CTA estimates that a total of 155 to 165 cars will have been delivered, based on Bombardier's production schedule. That's down from earlier projections of about 180 cars.

So if we're up to 5143-5144 only(minus a few missing units), look for beween four to fifteen more married pair units to finish 2012 off, according to the CTA's numbers.