5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Before you go all "off" about the cameras...well, I guess it's too late for that. You should check first, what are the designed capabilities of the system and is it operational to the extent you're describing. Start with the CTA website http://www.transitch...ives/5000s.aspx

I seem to remember that the cameras are designed to give the operator a view on the cab monitor only "when the intercom button is activatd in the car." So when you spied the "activity" going on, did you excuse yourself and tiptoe through the "activity" to get to the intercom button in the car and push it?? Plus, has it really been officially announced that the cameras are working in the intercom mode yet??? I know they are not broadcasting pictures to police vehicles at this stage. If the CTA website does not provide sufficient answers, CALL them.

DH

Thanks for that extra info. I didn't recall just how much the design specifications called for these cameras to see and when, but I still had the feeling more was being expected from these cameras and the motormen themselves than what CTA brass in this case was expecting to get from either.

Thanks for that extra info. I didn't recall just how much the design specifications called for these cameras to see and when, but I still had the feeling more was being expected from these cameras and the motormen themselves than what CTA brass in this case was expecting to get from either.

Thanks, but of course my comments were aimed more to BusHunter

The statement of record was, "....police, there supposed to have access to the camera system. So much for all this technology." The wireless capability with police vehicles properly equipped for reception is years off. You've got to note how all the CTA press releases are written in future tense. That helps distinguish what is now and what is years off.

Actually I dug into it a little more.....train operators are never meant to have any access to the monitoring function of the camera system on the 5000 series cars other than monitoring any car inwhich the intercom button has been pushed. In other words, the operator's job is to drive the train and not monitor the individual cars in the consist. The worry was that if some "nice skirts" boarded.....they want the operator to keep eyes and mind on the road ahead and not watch the "eye candy." At some future date when the wireless capability is enabled, rail control should have the ability to monitor individual cars in the consist at their own choosing. Way, way out in the future, properly equipped police vehicles would be capable of monitoring the 5000 series cameras.

Meanwhile, the 5000 series cars might be recording just like the cameras aboard buses. Notice I said "might" because I don't know for sure. Should the need arise, the video images could be pulled, or like the buses, if unneeded, the images are erased and recorded over.

DH

• Upvote 3

Well then I guess the operator I heard aboard a train is indeed psychic because he told someone to put out there cigarette. As far as twisting my words and needling my statements to make me sound inferior to you and your friend. Go ahead make my day!! :lol: It not like it's the first time this has happened. (your history on here says it all) That says something about your personality. I'm glad I don't know you!!! :rolleyes: I thought my information was helping out others. If I am going to be cyber bullied on here and made to sound like an idiot, then I need to post somewhere else.
Thank you for your response. You made a statement about the capability of the 5000 series camera systems that was in error. The fact that the camera reponds only to the intercom activation is clearly explained in two places, both available for easy reading: Chicago L .org and the CTA website. I only spoke up after the wrong information kept getting repeated. That's not bullying.

As regards the operator telling someone to stop...I have no idea what car the person was in, what car you were in...best chances are that the smoker was in the first car, easily seen by the operator through his windows. Or maybe a departing passenger made a remark from the platform. Or someone might have pushed an intercom button. You weren't too clear.

DH

Oh come on now Bushunter. No one is cyber-bullying you. Well I can say that I'm not. We're just giving opposing views to each other over an issue you introduced to the forum. Nothing more. But if it felt like I was coming at you disrespectfully in any way then I'll apologize for it because that's never my intent toward anyone here.

Speaking of 5000s, I spotted cars #5157-58, #5155-56 and #5087-88 on the Red Line today.

Seems like all the new deliveries are going straight to the Red Line. Cars 5171-5172 and 5175-5176 have been sitting at Howard Yard now for the last two weeks. Also, it seems like the more older 2600 series cars are coming back to the Red Line from the Blue Line. I rode in 2611 this afternoon on the Red Line. I think they're trying to make the Red Line all 2600 series cars again because the Purple Line has switched back to nearly all 2400 series cars.

So since your the camera expert, and I'm not. How can a police car receive a live feed from a camera if it is not operational, (you said those only activate when you press the intercom button) That makes no sense. I guess the vandals have nothing to worry about then. So in my drug dealing scenario I'm supposed to press the intercom and tell on the drug dealers that's sitting right next to me. Or pass through cars that say it is forbidden. This camera system is pure lunacy. BTW, next time before you start class teacher, learn how to spell respond. (3rd sentence)

No one said the police can NOW receive a live camera feed.

I clearly said the operator can only receive a camera feed when an intercom button is pressed and explained WHY that is so. It's unknown if that feature is even operative yet.

As for interfering with the drug dealers, that is strictly your call. No one is recommending you do that.

"repond" to any intelligent reader looks like a typo and not a spelling error.

DH

I'm going to offer my two cents' worth briefly...

BusHunter: This video I believe brings to light your mentioning about cameras and Chicago Police. It doesn't mention if it's a 24/7 feed, but from what I get, they can view car interiors.

chicagopcclcar: Everyone makes grammitical mistakes. We are members who report on buses and trains in various topics. Nobody on this forum is the grammar police. I have seen multiple errors in spelling and punctuation on topics throughout the forum, but I don't correct it.

I hope this clears up any tension you both have so we can get back on topic in this thread, which is about the 5000's.

I'm going to offer my two cents' worth briefly...

BusHunter: This video I believe brings to light your mentioning about cameras and Chicago Police. It doesn't mention if it's a 24/7 feed, but from what I get, they can view car interiors.

chicagopcclcar: Everyone makes grammitical mistakes. We are members who report on buses and trains in various topics. Nobody on this forum is the grammar police. I have seen multiple errors in spelling and punctuation on topics throughout the forum, but I don't correct it.

I hope this clears up any tension you both have so we can get back on topic in this thread, which is about the 5000's.

Thanks sw4400. I had already edited my posts. Others would have to use their edit functions to follow suit.

The CTA video was an excellent suggestion. The narrator clearly uses "will have" indicating that the features he describes were not presently in the cars but were scheduled to be included in a future time. And this in addition to the fact that he was describing the prototype cars and not the production cars.

In my first post I pointed out the same fact...."The statement of record was, "....police, there supposed to have access to the camera system. So much for all this technology." The wireless capability with police vehicles properly equipped for reception is YEARS OFF. You've got to note how all the CTA press releases are written in future tense. That helps distinguish what is now and what is years off."

Finally, the video wasn't too clear I admit, you have to dig for it, but the narrator again described the video monitoring capability as being connectd to the intercom feature. An operator cannot simply just "dial up" a car. But is the intercom capability working now...a current CTA operator needs to inform us. I don't know, I'm not an operator.

DH

Do you folks know if any of the 5000s have been wrapped yet?

I thought I saw a wrapped pair on the Loop L not long ago. I think they were on a Pink Line train.

Gene King

I believe 5073-74 are wrapped with an ad for Remy Martin. They were on the Green Line for a while, but I saw them on a Pink Line train today in the loop

Finally, the video wasn't too clear I admit, you have to dig for it, but the narrator again described the video monitoring capability as being connectd to the intercom feature. An operator cannot simply just "dial up" a car. But is the intercom capability working now...a current CTA operator needs to inform us. I don't know, I'm not an operator.

DH

Okay. If a passenger presses the intercom (referred to as the PIU (Passenger Intercom Unit)), the operator may only see the video feed of the car from which the PIU was activated if the train is completely stopped. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the cars go through a maintenance mode and a Red PIU with a line through it will appear on the operator screen and when that occurs you can't get a video feed from that car, so if the operator doesn't get a response from whomever pressed the PIU, they still have to physically check the train to see if anything is going on. I hope this answers some of the questions/concerns/theories of how it works currently.

Okay. If a passenger presses the intercom (referred to as the PIU (Passenger Intercom Unit)), the operator may only see the video feed of the car from which the PIU was activated if the train is completely stopped. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the cars go through a maintenance mode and a Red PIU with a line through it will appear on the operator screen and when that occurs you can't get a video feed from that car, so if the operator doesn't get a response from whomever pressed the PIU, they still have to physically check the train to see if anything is going on. I hope this answers some of the questions/concerns/theories of how it works currently.

Yes, thanks for the detailed explanation. Do the cameras have a recording feature like the CTA buses?

DH

Basically, that is the same that happens on all the cars. (CTA procedure not unique because these are #5000's) Where I got screwed up before is that I was under the understanding that the cameras recorded live. On the buses they do record live, I'm told the hard drive can store up to two weeks feed. But there is a save event button that can be pressed if someone wanted to keep the video that just recorded like in a rape case or whatever where the suspects were riding the bus. If no save button is pressed the information ultimately is lost. So if rape suspects were riding the train and no PIU was pressed no one could identify them. A very fallable system. Hopefully now I got this right.

Basically, that is the same that happens on all the cars. (CTA procedure not unique because these are #5000's) Where I got screwed up before is that I was under the understanding that the cameras recorded live. On the buses they do record live, I'm told the hard drive can store up to two weeks feed. But there is a save event button that can be pressed if someone wanted to keep the video that just recorded like in a rape case or whatever where the suspects were riding the bus. If no save button is pressed the information ultimately is lost. So if rape suspects were riding the train and no PIU was pressed no one could identify them. A very fallable system. Hopefully now I got this right.

At least with regard to the buses, the impression I got is that all they did was record, and the cameras were basically for the purpose of identifying the suspect after the fact. The ones on the 5000s seem to do a bit more than that, according to others' descriptions, but not much.

I believe the cameras do record constantly as on the buses. I know they have a hard drive and it was explained to me that if someone presses the PIU or pulls a door, those events trigger a "save event" just like the buses have a save event button. So if a rape case occurred and no PIU was activated, they'd just have to review the camera feeds on the hard drive around the approximate time it happened,within the time frame before it gets written over, it just wont be bookmarked!

Just saw 5179-5180 and 5177-5178 in service on the Red Line. Looks like they may have all four sets of 5000-series trains assigned to the Red Line in revenue service today. All that's left in Howard Yard are eight spares broken down into two sets of four. Oddly, they're all the lowered numbered cars of the group assigned to the Red Line...probably preparing to head back over to the Pink or Green Lines.

Just saw 5179-5180 and 5177-5178 in service on the Red Line. Looks like they may have all four sets of 5000-series trains assigned to the Red Line in revenue service today. All that's left in Howard Yard are eight spares broken down into two sets of four. Oddly, they're all the lowered numbered cars of the group assigned to the Red Line...probably preparing to head back over to the Pink or Green Lines.

There are five 8-car sets of 5000-series cars in Howard yard today and one set included the prototypes 5011-5012.

There are five 8-car sets of 5000-series cars in Howard yard today and one set included the prototypes 5011-5012.

It's about time!!! I thought 5003-5012 fell off the face of the earth or something. I thought they would've been the first back since they were already built, all they would've needed was replacement wheels.

With the 5000's coming in it's not too late to start talking about future cars after those right? with that being said I wonder what the next series will be numbered my guess being the 5800 series. As far as how they'll look I'm sure they'll have the same stainless steel exterior with the sides or as I like to call them "ribs" like the 3200 and current 5000 series, but the more interesting question is how will the front end caps look as far as design is concerned cause I know they won't look exactly like the 5000's for example the 24 and 2600 series. They pretty much have the same design for the exception of the front end caps. So my guess for the 5800's they'll probably resemble the 2400's or even cooler the 2000's to sorta bring back that old school look, and paying homage to the classic cars. But it's just a thought as well as wishful thinking lol.

As far as how they'll look I'm sure they'll have the same stainless steel exterior with the sides or as I like to call them "ribs" like the 3200 and current 5000 series,

To rail fans they're know as fluted sides and fluted sides is a 'trademarked" design related to the Budd Rail Car Company, now out of business. The 2600 series CTA cars were the last cars built by Budd at their Red Lion plant in Pennsylvania, although part of the 2600 series was built under the name Transit America. CTA's 2200 series Budd cars with fluted sides are among the three oldest transit cars fleets still running today, including New York's R32's and Philly's PATCO cars that cross over the Franklin Bridge to suburban Lindenwold, NJ.

The O scale layout at the Museum of Science & Industry had fluted metal around its sides. The metal was donated to the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL when the layout was dismantled and replaced with the present Great Train Story, an HO scale model railroad.

DH