5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I believe the 5000's might go to the Brown for a week at the end April because of the bridge

They didn't before, so I wouldn't bank on it in about two weeks' time.

When the Orange gets the 5000's is the Brown going to barrow some at rush hour or if the Brown Line continues to Midway and the Orange Line continues to Kimball

That's a possibility. But any Orange Line stock could be Brownage trains. They won't have all 5000's, they'll also have 2400's(for the moment) and 3200's.

A couple weeks ago a 2600 Series on the Blue Line blew up and got caught on fire

There was no headline about a 2600-Series railcar anywhere blowing up and catching fire. If that happened, there would be mass injuries and possibly fatalities, especially on a line as busy as the Blue Line.

I believe the 5000's might go to the Brown for a week at the end April because of the bridge

Sam, 5000 series cars cannot be assigned to different routes willy nilly. In order for the 5000 series cars to operate on a route, the operators on that route must be trained and qualified to operate them. So far, only Pink, Green, and most Red line operators have been trained and qualified. Brown line operators are not trained and qualified to operate 5000 series cars so you won't see 5000s on the Brown line. It takes four to six months to qualify operators on a line. Three weeks ago, there were still some Red line operators not qualified and they had to swap runs if a 5000 series train is departing on their scheduled time out.

The older cars can be swapped around because ALL operators know how to operate them. And most important, all operators know how to troubleshoot them in case of breakdowns. The biggest limitation to swapping the older cars are the roll signs and the marker lights. And the 2200 series Budds are locked in to Blue line operation. But the 5000s are a whole different operation and a whole different troubleshooting requirement, so they cannot be swapped around willy nilly. Yes, I know that during testing the 5000s operated on every line. But the test trains had extra personnel on board to help operators. The personnel included training instructors, a special class of supervisor and personnel from Bombardier, especially in the first months.

How important is qualification?? Every day there is an out-of-service train running from Howard to Ashland/63 just to qualify Red line operators on the characteristics of the incline out south and the Green line to Ashland/63. The train is called the "training train" and all Red line operators must qualify before the May 19 reroute. There were "training trains" for Orange line and Brown line operators to learn about the Red line subway for the bridge reroute.

Now I know I said there can be no Brown line 5000s. Understand this ONE exception. During the last Wells St. Bridge Project, gap trains ran between Belmont and Merchandise Mart. A gap train is an extra train substituted in when needed. The gap train originated from Howard St. yard. The gap train waited just north of Clark Tower to be called into service. The gap train carried Brown line signs, but it was operated by a Red line crew. Red line crews are familiar already with the line between Belmont and Merchandise Mart. Every once in a while a 5000 series train was used as the gap train. So you might get lucky and get to ride 5000s between Belmont and Merchandise Mart, but remember, it may have Brown line signs but it is a Red line train operated with a Red line operator. The gap train could not go into the subway, because it did not have "Roosevelt" signs. But it had standard Brown line signs.

The 5000s are the worst thing that has happened since November 9, 1997.. The sideway seating is very uncomfortable. I refuse to sit down on them, I am not Duddly Do Right.

No wonder sometimes when I catch a Red Line, I do see people yapping at Train Stops that they rather waste their time to wait for an old car to ride because they don't want to be squeezed in on an 5000

I also heard the Brown Line is getting the 7000 Series on October 15 2020

I'm going to assume you're speculating, and you're wrong. Let's try to get a bidder or seven first.

I believe they might go on the Blue or Brown in a year or two or in a couple years.

What's your reasoning for this?

Sam, 5000 series cars cannot be assigned to different routes willy nilly. In order for the 5000 series cars to operate on a route, the operators on that route must be trained and qualified to operate them. So far, only Pink, Green, and most Red line operators have been trained and qualified. Brown line operators are not trained and qualified to operate 5000 series cars so you won't see 5000s on the Brown line. It takes four to six months to qualify operators on a line. Three weeks ago, there were still some Red line operators not qualified and they had to swap runs if a 5000 series train is departing on their scheduled time out.

The older cars can be swapped around because ALL operators know how to operate them. And most important, all operators know how to troubleshoot them in case of breakdowns. The biggest limitation to swapping the older cars are the roll signs and the marker lights. And the 2200 series Budds are locked in to Blue line operation. But the 5000s are a whole different operation and a whole different troubleshooting requirement, so they cannot be swapped around willy nilly. Yes, I know that during testing the 5000s operated on every line. But the test trains had extra personnel on board to help operators. The personnel included training instructors, a special class of supervisor and personnel from Bombardier, especially in the first months.

How important is qualification?? Every day there is an out-of-service train running from Howard to Ashland/63 just to qualify Red line operators on the characteristics of the incline out south and the Green line to Ashland/63. The train is called the "training train" and all Red line operators must qualify before the May 19 reroute. There were "training trains" for Orange line and Brown line operators to learn about the Red line subway for the bridge reroute.

Now I know I said there can be no Brown line 5000s. Understand this ONE exception. During the last Wells St. Bridge Project, gap trains ran between Belmont and Merchandise Mart. A gap train is an extra train substituted in when needed. The gap train originated from Howard St. yard. The gap train waited just north of Clark Tower to be called into service. The gap train carried Brown line signs, but it was operated by a Red line crew. Red line crews are familiar already with the line between Belmont and Merchandise Mart. Every once in a while a 5000 series train was used as the gap train. So you might get lucky and get to ride 5000s between Belmont and Merchandise Mart, but remember, it may have Brown line signs but it is a Red line train operated with a Red line operator. The gap train could not go into the subway, because it did not have "Roosevelt" signs. But it had standard Brown line signs.

Excellent explanation. I would add this possibility. Because of syetemwide picks, it is possible that there are Brown Line operators (for example) that ARE qualified to operate 5000s (though it may be few in number). There are operators that have been qualified on multiple routes (not including the 13th St incline, though there may be some operators that did the old Howard-Englewood Jackson Pk route still around) either because they were on extra board, or due to bouncing around the system over the years. In any case, there may be training or retraining necessary to requalify an operator for a route or the 5000s.

Excellent explanation. I would add this possibility. Because of syetemwide picks, it is possible that there are Brown Line operators (for example) that ARE qualified to operate 5000s (though it may be few in number). There are operators that have been qualified on multiple routes (not including the 13th St incline, though there may be some operators that did the old Howard-Englewood Jackson Pk route still around) either because they were on extra board, or due to bouncing around the system over the years. In any case, there may be training or retraining necessary to requalify an operator for a route or the 5000s.

Thank you. I didn't want to really, really complicate my explanation. In my old days, it was called "foreign roads qualification." But over the span of years, operators could lose their qualification with the passage of time and they would have to be requalified. I'm sure anyone who ran the Howard-Englewood-JPk have lost their qualifications by now.

I did finally get to ride some 5000's.... not on the Brown Line, btw... I went downtown with a friend and took the Red Line. Coming back from Chicago/State, we got a 8-car consist of 5000's. I was in crowded pair 5147-5148. Honestly, the ride wasn't nothing to write home about. However as we approached North/Clark, the Operator really put the brakes on, which many of the standees(myself included) felt. I don't know if some of the Red Line Operators are still trying to adjust to the 5000's braking abilities, or if the Operator just applied the brakes late.

Some quick notes on the 5000's(at least this set):

-There were some transverse seats in this car set. I remember seeing some people facing the front and back of the car, not all facing the windows. Most of these people were near the doors.

-I was standing by the doors near where the cars are married at(that's not the technical term, but hopefully you get the image of where I was at). Anyway, the map display of the stops was either not working or present in this car as no LED dot showed up at the stations we were at/headed towards. The LED display that had the date and destination worked fine.

-I was standing by the doors near where the cars are married at(that's not the technical term, but hopefully you get the image of where I was at). Anyway, the map display of the stops was either not working or present in this car as no LED dot showed up at the stations we were at/headed towards. The LED display that had the date and destination worked fine.

The LED map display is not by the doors. It's in the middle of the car.

I just seen one 8-car set of 5000s parked at the 61st Street yard on the Green Line.

This could be in preparation for that yard beginning to serve as a temporary car storage for the south side of the Green Line when the Ashland (Englewood) branch begins to be used exclusively by rerouted Red Line trains this May 19. At that point, all through-routed Green Line trains will only operate to the East 63rd branch. A temporary shack is being built at the 61st Yard to be used as a trainroom for motormen to receive their run number assignments. (There is no longer a shop building at 61st; that building was torn down in February 2010.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3-RFeSe5jw

thats the youtube video of the train "blowing up" the guy was talking about.

When did this happen??? I don't recall any articles in the news about this... I'm going to have to see if I logged it even in my Rail Alerts(if it happened while I wasn't out or busy).

If it happened on the day it was uploaded, 3/30/13, I don't have anything about it.

Ok, now I found it... apparently the train hit a tire on the tracks which started this fire. the "M" threw me. I thought this was Montrose. Story

In hindsight, it looks bad, yes... but it's just the tire making contact with the live 3rd rail causing the arcing, flames and smoke. The train was not blowing up as the YouTube Video and the poster said.

When did this happen??? I don't recall any articles in the news about this... I'm going to have to see if I logged it even in my Rail Alerts(if it happened while I wasn't out or busy).

If it happened on the day it was uploaded, 3/30/13, I don't have anything about it.

Ok, now I found it... apparently the train hit a tire on the tracks which started this fire. the "M" threw me. I thought this was Montrose. Story

In hindsight, it looks bad, yes... but it's just the tire making contact with the live 3rd rail causing the arcing, flames and smoke. The train was not blowing up as the YouTube Video and the poster said.

The Montrose story was at Belmont where all the water drips on the third rail. That was on the news. Why was the tire out there in the first place? The train looks to have suffered electrical damage, the horn blowing was obviously it shorting out and the headlights went out as well. I wonder if that was #2631. The problem looks terminal.

This could be in preparation for that yard beginning to serve as a temporary car storage for the south side of the Green Line when the Ashland (Englewood) branch begins to be used exclusively by rerouted Red Line trains this May 19. At that point, all through-routed Green Line trains will only operate to the East 63rd branch. A temporary shack is being built at the 61st Yard to be used as a trainroom for motormen to receive their run number assignments. (There is no longer a shop building at 61st; that building was torn down in February 2010.)

I also have a video of them at the 61st Street yard. http://youtu.be/2-n0CFpjleU.

The Montrose story was at Belmont where all the water drips on the third rail. That was on the news. Why was the tire out there in the first place? The train looks to have suffered electrical damage, the horn blowing was obviously it shorting out and the headlights went out as well. I wonder if that was #2631. The problem looks terminal.

This actually looks like the Illinois Medical District station, thus the M designation. If you look at the station, you can tell it is in the median of the Ike, and the station design confirms its on the Forest Park branch.