5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Actually, there's no argument on that from me See Tea Eh...clever name by the way. Bigger idiot is the statement that those @%&$ seats can't be changed. We don't know how many options make up the 5000 series total order but in between one of the options those seats should be changed. Seats can be cantilevered if necessary. Hilkevitch would have had the power of the Tribune had he kept the fight going.

I think the CTA is standing pat with the seating arrangements on the 5000-Series railcars. Customers did complain and I believe send some petition about the seating, only to have it all shot down by Claypool and Co.

What would be interesting is the 7000-Series which should start to appear in late 2016, if a manufacturer is selected in the next year and starts working with the CTA on conceptualizing the design of these cars. I remember reading somewhere on the forum(either directly from a member or a link to a article) about the CTA being open to seating arrangements for the 7000-Series.

Like it or not, the 5000-Series will be all bench-style seats. There might be hope for the 7000-Series, however...

Only an idiot would go back to something posted in the past when there is a more recent post. My latest post...." I haven't heard anything different from the CTA that they can reprogram the 5000 series rail cars.. Have you?"

Only an ##### would realize the logical flaw that the converse is not always true.

And since you acknowledge that what See says above is true, maybe you should tell us who the idiot source was that told you. I bet there isn't any. Also admit that you do not have direct knowledge.

By now I expect an apology,and also that your alley under the 59th interlocking comment is also withdrawn by EXPRESS WORDS.

Only an ##### would realize the logical flaw that the converse is not always true.

And since you acknowledge that what See says above is true, maybe you should tell us who the idiot source was that told you. I bet there isn't any. Also admit that you do not have direct knowledge.

By now I expect an apology,and also that your alley under the 59th interlocking comment is also withdrawn by EXPRESS WORDS.

Wait at 5900 south, 300 east; for that to happen. And bring that other idiot who thinks there is a 16 car subway train in New York.

This comment stands for itself, both for what it does say and what it does not. Enjoy violating the Community Guidelines, David Harrison.

How about we just wait these 3-4 weeks till the project starts to see what happens with the 5000's signs.... plenty of us ride the Red Line I'm sure (I myself am in an area where I can observe how nearby metra trains, the shuttles and southern LSD routes will assist in the project providing eyewitness and proof as a rider.) and see what happens then if discussion and speculation about the signs and other things are going to lead to "meet me under the "L" and these flame wars. Starting to wonder if I'm one of the old and mature ones here :lol: (definately not by age ;))
  • Upvote 1

562445_449754918447470_1214329794_n.jpg

There is much to be learned from examining the CTA structure from below at 5900 South, 300 East as shown in this official CTA photo showing some of the work being preformed last weekend in preparation of the Red line reroute over the Green line tracks to Ashland/63 beginning in mid May. The south side main that originally went to Jackson Park is on the left in this view of the alley looking south. This original line was built in 1893. The branch to Englewood veers off to the right, opened in 1905, it featured a shuttle run to the first station State St. The Englewood branch was completed all the way to Loomis Blvd. terminal in 1907. Note that the Jackson Park line is built next to the alley which is part of the origin of "Alley L." Over half of Chicago's 'L' lines are located at the rear of properties, next to the alley. That was because of the "build through the blocks" stipulation in their original charters from the city. The Englewood branch to the right is not built next to the alley because almost all of the alleys are perpendicular to the 'L'. The 'L' built west at the quarter point of each crossing city block which lined up with about one block's worth of alley between Prairie Ave. (300 E.) and Princeton Ave. (400 W.) where the Englewood turned south. Next we clearly see the difference in the style of steel structure of the 'L', the centered spread columns of the Jackson Park branch and the "X" towers of the Englewood branch. Dr. J. Waddell advocated the "X" design saying all other designs lacked rigidity. The same design is found beneath the Ravenswood, Stockyards, and northside main 'L'. The original tower was located over the alley, connected to the Jackson Park structure, but in line with the Englewood branch going west. That way the towerman could see down both branches. In the 60's, this junction was automated using a "first-in, alternate routing" whereby trains did not have to carry identification like the Identra junctions on the west side.

I could go on but best to save some for our get-together, LOL. Keeping on topic, it is now predicted that the Green line will be 100 percent 5000 series rail cars by the May reroutes, possibly due in part to less cars needed.

• Upvote 2

I like that.

Here's a trivia question to keep this on topic. When Red line goes to Ashland/63 will 59th St. Jct. be automatic or manned and why?

Hmmm... seem to remember something about that switch automatically switching points after every set, so the assumption is that every other set takes (and possibly comes from) each of the two branches - and than any deviation requires a manual override and/or a call-in. Since there will be more Reds than Greens during reroutes, that won't do. So either manned or a new type of switch based on destination somehow. (Is there even a manned tower at 59th St. Jct. anymore??) So my official answer is: "I have no clue"

I like that.

Here's a trivia question to keep this on topic. When Red line goes to Ashland/63 will 59th St. Jct. be automatic or manned and why?

Hmmm... seem to remember something about that switch automatically switching points after every set, so the assumption is that every other set takes (and possibly comes from) each of the two branches - and than any deviation requires a manual override and/or a call-in. Since there will be more Reds than Greens during reroutes, that won't do. So either manned or a new type of switch based on destination somehow. (Is there even a manned tower at 59th St. Jct. anymore??) So my official answer is: "I have no clue"

I think the answer comes from this quote from here...

59th Junction was created when the Englewood Branch began operation to State Street, leaving the South Side Main Line at 59th Street. On April 25, 1965, a new automatic interlocking was put in service at 59th Junction. The new interlocking automatically sorted trains on an alternating basis: one Englewood train, one Jackson Park train, one Englewood train, and so on. Unlike Paulina and Loomis junctions, trains did not carry indentra-coils, transponders, or other sorting devices that identified the trains' identity. The new interlocking had a tower at 59th Junction and could also be remote controlled by 61st. Street Tower. On July 4, 1965 tower operation at 59th Junction was discontinued and the junction was converted to fully automatic operation.

It also says here that the 61st. Street Tower can control the 59th St. Junction and access to 63rd Lower Yard.

Actually your reasoning is 100 percent correct. All places labeled as interlockings or junctions have a manned tower capability. It's in that metal house at trackside. Or on the expressways, up over the tracks. Plus 61st St. Tower always had remote capability to operate 59th St. But a towerman at 59th would have better visibility. You won. The imbalance between the two lines would make the automatic interlocking unworkable. There will be more Red trains than Green trains.

According to Chicago-l.org, the 61st street tower can remotely run 59th junction. I know places like Loomis Jun. have wayside selectors in which you can select your lineup (destination) like if you wanted to go to 54th/Cermak.

According to Chicago-l.org, the 61st street tower can remotely run 59th junction. I know places like Loomis Jun. have wayside selectors in which you can select your lineup (destination) like if you wanted to go to 54th/Cermak.

True, interlockings and junctions where there will be some level of movement and the CTA doesn't want to hire towermen, they have selectors. But there are panels inside the buildings at every interlocking and junction, even where there are selectors so that that location COULD be operated with a towerman. Nowadays this is used mainly for single tracking at night. So the priority top to bottom is: towerman all times...part time....selectors.....panel inside house. Tower 18 can control Tower 12 was included in the work done recently.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the 5000-series delivery is in a small hiatus now because of the Red Line project. It seems like it has been over 3 weeks since a new car has hit the rails.

Maybe those post #5245-46 cars haven't been programmed for Ashland/63rd Red line service yet, among the other sign changes.

My guess is that we have more 5000's on CTA Property, but probably stored at Skokie Shops or Rosemont Yard as Howard Yard is probably overfilled with railcars from 98th Yard currently. The only way anything beyond 5245-5246 may see service right now is if they give some newer cars to the Pink and Green Lines or train another rail yard's Operators on how to run the 5000's and temporarily assign some to another line for use during the Dan Ryan shutdown. With Purple and Yellow using Howard Yard, that would be impossible as the aforementioned overflow of cars from 98th Yard. That leaves Blue, Brown and Orange as the only options for 5000's that might be sitting unable to be used on the Red Line due to overstock at Howard Yard.

My guess is that we have more 5000's on CTA Property, but probably stored at Skokie Shops or Rosemont Yard as Howard Yard is probably overfilled,,,

Even if 61st is now full, there is still room to store out of service cars at 54th. Also, now no reason (except for IRM) not to get the scrap haulers up to the loading ramp.

Makes more sense to store scrap than new cars, not that that ever affected CTA..

What was the last 5000 acknowledged as received and the date? I'm hearing a rumor that I can't pass on.

BusHunter has the last units 5245-5246 as being delivered 4/13 and being placed in service 5/5/13 on the Red Line. 5247-5248 and beyond have yet to be seen. My guess is some are here, but might be on long-term hold due to the Red Line South Reconstruction.