600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

Was reading in the original contract that it says that they can build up to 12 or 13 towers for charging the proterras. They have the money to do that it's part of the contract. So I know of 3 towers, should be 4 at least. I wonder if they really plan on building the other 8 towers. Maybe it was meant for future expansion. 

16 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Was reading in the original contract that it says that they can build up to 12 or 13 towers for charging the proterras. They have the money to do that it's part of the contract. So I know of 3 towers, should be 4 at least. I wonder if they really plan on building the other 8 towers. Maybe it was meant for future expansion. 

Hmmm 8 towers? Seems like a stretch for an unknown fleet and it's potential longevity. I could assume they would be strategically built for certain routes. 79th street comes to mind as you could eaily build 3 at each terminal. 103rd and Stony Comes to mind for the 15 and 28. Then there's Ashland and Western pick your poison with those two routes. There's 8 possible towere right there that come to mind. 

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The next best places for charging stations and towers are the major bus/train terminals. Midway, Jeff Pk & 95th are the best choices, are there are a bevy of short routes to deploy electrics on via one or two chargers. A lot of other terminal spots would be good as well, such as Grand/Latrobe, Central/Harrison, Cicero/24th Pl, 74th Garage, and possibly 35th/Archer and maybe 47th Red Line as well (especially if a charger goes at 103rd Garage)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The next best places for charging stations and towers are the major bus/train terminals. Midway, Jeff Pk & 95th are the best choices, are there are a bevy of short routes to deploy electrics on via one or two chargers. A lot of other terminal spots would be good as well, such as Grand/Latrobe, Central/Harrison, Cicero/24th Pl, 74th Garage, and possibly 35th/Archer and maybe 47th Red Line as well (especially if a charger goes at 103rd Garage)

I think Jeff Pk is a good choice you can interline so many routes with one on either side of the terminals.95th is a tough spot to build anything that won't get torn up and cause a bottleneck for other routes. The 47th Red line has to much activity that isn't suitable for something as precious as these #600s are. The Kedzie orange line seems a bit more suitable and more forgiving for possible hiccups.35th and Archer is another good spot, lots of space over there depending on the routes used.

47 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I think Jeff Pk is a good choice you can interline so many routes with one on either side of the terminals.95th is a tough spot to build anything that won't get torn up and cause a bottleneck for other routes. The 47th Red line has to much activity that isn't suitable for something as precious as these #600s are. The Kedzie orange line seems a bit more suitable and more forgiving for possible hiccups.35th and Archer is another good spot, lots of space over there depending on the routes used.

95th wouldn't be bad if you have charging stations in both sides of 95th.  Or at least the north side    

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Other places I was thinking of were Howard Station, Devon/Kedzie, Clark/Arthur, Belmont/Halsted, Grand/Nordica, 31st/Komensky, 63rd/Kedzie, Ford City, 79th/Western, 79th/South Shore. Other possible places to put charging stations are termini of busy and frequent routes, such as the 8, 9, 20, 49, and 77.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

95th wouldn't be bad if you have charging stations in both sides of 95th.  Or at least the north side    

Yeah it could work but knowing the landscape over there it just doesn't seem suitable yet, I'd have to see a detailed visual depiction of how that would be constructed. The northern works though especially for the 29.

8 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

Other places I was thinking of were Howard Station, Devon/Kedzie, Clark/Arthur, Belmont/Halsted, Grand/Nordica, 31st/Komensky, 63rd/Kedzie, Ford City, 79th/Western, 79th/South Shore. Other possible places to put charging stations are termini of busy and frequent routes, such as the 8, 9, 20, 49, and 77.

The only routes that I see that working well with is the 63 except kedzie,65 and 79. The 53,63,82,151/156 have small terminals with little real estate to work with. The 8,9,20 and 49 are a toss up.

15 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

I was trying to pick routes where a round-trip could be completed on a charge (so short or maybe medium length) because otherwise, there would need to be an additional charger (or in some of these cases, electric buses, like 79th/South Shore). For example, the 65 could work, since there's a charger at Navy Pier, but probably not any route out of 31st/Komensky without a second charger somewhere

Why not just put a charger in a centralized location like at jeff on the layover lane on the north terminal or at midway out by 59th where the layover buses hang out this way all the buses can use them and if they dont charge usually theres a another bus to take while they wait. All big terminals should have a charger.