600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

31 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

looks like the seats are also made by Freedman seating up in humboldt park

I took a closer look at the seats when i zoomed in on the picture. They are obviously plastic but they might not be the hard plastic which they use on the novas. It may be like the seats new flyer #1342 has on its bus. 

1 hour ago, John7 said:

I took a closer look at the seats when i zoomed in on the picture. They are obviously plastic but they might not be the hard plastic which they use on the novas. It may be like the seats new flyer #1342 has on its bus. 

if you look on the 7900’s and 8325’s you’ll see they look the same except for no blue color to them on the sides and and stuff

10 minutes ago, $100KBusoperator said:

Looks like theses bus will go in service with the Spring Pick

IMG_20200114_120027.jpg

Possibly.   CTA had to accept the prototypes and accept the deliveries, which may depend,  in part, on successful charging at one or both ends of the route.   But this does bring the Proterras one step closer. 

Somewhat related,  I saw one of the Prudential Proterras turning east onto Washington from Canal.  If I hadn't seen it,  I wouldn't have known it was there.   That's how quiet this bus was.  Sometimes I know a bus is nearby by its sound,  even if it is not in immediate sight.  That won't be possible with these.  If you happen to hear the electric motors, more than likely you have already missed the bus.

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

both buses have been moved to inside of SS maybe painting? i seen em while circling around 77th tryna spit them today sorry but no pictures didn’t wanna step into a tresspass

They've been moving around quite a bit lately but there not even close to getting any livery put on them yet. They don't even ventra card readers or fareboxes placed in them yet. 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

They've been moving around quite a bit lately but there not even close to getting any livery put on them yet. They don't even ventra card readers or fareboxes placed in them yet. 

I remember before the production models started arriving there was a demo on the property at Chicago. I figured that was so maintenance, mechanics, etc could get a feel for them early on, resulting in a speedier entry to service.

Boy was I wrong...

10 hours ago, WCR said:

I remember before the production models started arriving there was a demo on the property at Chicago. I figured that was so maintenance, mechanics, etc could get a feel for them early on, resulting in a speedier entry to service.

Boy was I wrong...

chances are they waiting till the charging station is done at chicago/austin then install card reader and farebox then they start testing in the new livery

6 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

chances are they waiting till the charging station is done at chicago/austin then install card reader and farebox then they start testing in the new livery

That doesn't correlate to the charging stations construction, Bus operators still have to receive training on them before they're placed in revenue service. The buses have been in CTA's possession for several months now and as of today they haven't received the full order of the proterras. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, MrH345 said:

Any word if this new construction at Navy Pier has anything to do with installation on the over head charging stations?

It's long overdue but I can't confirm that may be what's going on. However it does raise an eyebrow since the ground work is nearly complete at Chicago and Austin.

40 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

It's long overdue but I can't confirm that may be what's going on. However it does raise an eyebrow since the ground work is nearly complete at Chicago and Austin.

I’ve been waiting my layover time on Grand all week. They have the lane where all the C buses layover blocked

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

probably the livery cta has on every bus

Maybe not. The current livery dates back 30 years, debuting with the 4400-series TMC RTS buses and the 5300-series Flxibles. The only change to this livery was the replacement of the "speed lines" logo with the current "meatball" logo beginning with the 1000-series New Flyer D40LF's in 2006. These may debut an all-new livery which may become the new standard livery for the next several years or decades. This is speculation.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

Maybe not. The current livery dates back 30 years, debuting with the 4400-series TMC RTS buses and the 5300-series Flxibles. The only change to this livery was the replacement of the "speed lines" logo with the current "meatball" logo beginning with the 1000-series New Flyer D40LF's in 2006. These may debut an all-new livery which may become the new standard livery for the next several years or decades. This is speculation.

What I would love is for CTA to return to the "Green Limousine." I would take either the livery starting with the 1000/7400 series GMC GMC fishbowls or the 7000 series MAN articulated buses.  That scheme continued through the 9800/1600 series Flyers and the 4300 series MAN Americanas.  I suppose the dark green of the 300s, 3500s would also work 

A less desirable option would be to take the schemes from the ORD Parking lot shuttles which depict the city colors and theme. 

Somehow I think CTA will differentiate the electric fleet from the rest with either a modified version of the current livery or a special wrap.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

I thought it debuted in 1987 by starting to repaint the 4000-Series M.A.N. Americana buses, the 1000-Series, 7400-Series, 9000-Series, 9600-Series GM Buses, 7000-Series and 7100-Series buses M.A.N. Articulated buses and the 1600-Series and 9800-Series Flyer buses.