Pace New Flyer buses

Pace831

• 2 years later...

20455 sounded really weird when I rode it about a month ago, sounds like these XD40’s are starting to give age 

also this bus shut off randomly during the layover while it did a layover for 5 mins (and no the driver didn’t shut it off and pace buses don’t shut off during layovers for that long normally)

here’s a start up clip https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/617224005493194764/1108207969264467999/IMG_2886.mov

and here’s a clip of it in action driving

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/795487277174095923/1108538847073161246/trim.B0B4CE71-719C-413B-8C56-0B20DA0F5DBA.mov

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

20455 sounded really weird when I rode it about a month ago, sounds like these XD40’s are starting to give age 

also this bus shut off randomly during the layover while it did a layover for 5 mins (and no the driver didn’t shut it off and pace buses don’t shut off during layovers for that long normally)

here’s a start up clip https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/617224005493194764/1108207969264467999/IMG_2886.mov

and here’s a clip of it in action driving

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/795487277174095923/1108538847073161246/trim.B0B4CE71-719C-413B-8C56-0B20DA0F5DBA.mov

If the bus driver doesn't engage the fast idle while laying over, the bus will automatically shut down after a few minutes of low idling.  They are designedtodothat to protect the engines..

37 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

If the bus driver doesn't engage the fast idle while laying over, the bus will automatically shut down after a few minutes of low idling.  They are designedtodothat to protect the engines..

Also. most municipalities don't let buses idle any longer. That was an issue in Evanston.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Oh I didn’t know that so that’s actually normal when it does that if it’s not fast idle

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

An unknown XD40 has caught on fire after a Tesla has rammed into it, that  might as well be the first XD40 that is retired because that fire is major.

Unit that caught on fire is #20459, which to my surprise is the one XD40 i rode on the 307 yesterday. Here’s a photo of it from yesterday morning 

IMG_5346.jpeg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

(my picture) post terrible (possible fatal) fire of 20459

40CE30C9-B5AE-4773-9E1D-A38DA94E6D34.jpeg

This is terrible.   I'm guessing this is a total loss.   The question is what kind of fire was it?.  My initial guess would be an engine compartment fire.  While I think suppression systems are in place, this is only good whie the engine compartment or wherever the fire is continues to be contained with no exposure to air.  Once the driver ir fire department opens that engine door, that fire is going to spread rapidly weakening the frame.   This bus is barely 3 years old.

On 7/4/2023 at 8:44 AM, artthouwill said:

This is terrible.   I'm guessing this is a total loss.   The question is what kind of fire was it?.  My initial guess would be an engine compartment fire.  While I think suppression systems are in place, this is only good whie the engine compartment or wherever the fire is continues to be contained with no exposure to air.  Once the driver ir fire department opens that engine door, that fire is going to spread rapidly weakening the frame.   This bus is barely 3 years old.

Judging from the fact CFD responded to this and the overpass, thinking this happened out by O'Hare?

2 hours ago, rotjohns said:

Judging from the fact CFD responded to this and the overpass, thinking this happened out by O'Hare?

I had figured that it was probably on the 330.    My initial reaction was engine fire but being so close to the Intermodal facility  it's looking more like a brake fire.

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I had figured that it was probably on the 330.    My initial reaction was engine fire but being so close to the Intermodal facility  it's looking more like a brake fire.

That was on the 330 that day cause I knew only 330 would run by that area I also thought of 332 but didn’t think 332 goes on that highway

• 2 weeks later...