Pace New Flyer buses

Pace831

Well I finally got to ride one of these Xcelsiors at Pace. Mechanically the bus runs good still feels like the body roll is higher than a conventional bus. The one thing I do not like about the bus is who authorized that seat purchase? They must never have sat in those seats. They are horrible. The seat back incline angle makes it impossible to sit back because the lower back pushes you forward. That ruins the whole experience. It's a shame the seats that were in the 6262s were among the best ever at Pace for comfort and these rank the worst. They seem to be showing the dirt as well. Was noticing CTA is putting fiberglass seats in the seat bottoms and inserts in the top of its seats. They are actually getting seat colors that match. I like the seat color of the #5000 series. It doesnt even look like its fiberglass. Was noticing the #7000s seem off. Why not stick the #5000 inserts in those seats? Do they not fit or they are not the same seats? 

10 minutes ago, RenardoRedNorth said:

I saw 20503 Pace Bus 353 going NB on Cottage Grove @159th St.

I don't like the legroom between the seats.  If I turn around my knees hit the seat in front of me.   CTA New Flyers don't have that problem,  but the seat pattern is slightly different. 

I don't feel the body roll you say you feel.  MCI buses are known for their rolls when turning.  I think the turning radius is pretty good considering MCIs are the worst in that department.   Prevost and VanHool have excellent tight turning radii.  Overall I still like the Pace New Flyers.   You are right that the Pace NABI had the best seats but I wonder if that contributed to the lack of seats in those buses.  A forty ft bus should have more than 33 seats but i loved the seats and the legroom on those buses. 

On 9/24/2020 at 8:25 PM, ycu2455 said:

Today's 20500 on 349. (LED off)

DSC01308.thumb.JPG.1b89f0419077cbfb1c8b9971b1567e88.JPG

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

20503 is an Eldorado Axxess bus, not a New Flyer.  It is a new CNG bus.

3 hours ago, RenardoRedNorth said:

I saw 20503 Pace Bus 353 going NB on Cottage Grove @159th St.

2 hours ago, RenardoRedNorth said:

Oh ok. I saw it in passing and i wasn't able to get a pic to get a look at what model it was. Thanks artthouwill.

This is probably what you saw.

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't like the legroom between the seats.  If I turn around my knees hit the seat in front of me.   CTA New Flyers don't have that problem,  but the seat pattern is slightly different. 

I don't feel the body roll you say you feel.  MCI buses are known for their rolls when turning.  I think the turning radius is pretty good considering MCIs are the worst in that department.   Prevost and VanHool have excellent tight turning radii.  Overall I still like the Pace New Flyers.   You are right that the Pace NABI had the best seats but I wonder if that contributed to the lack of seats in those buses.  A forty ft bus should have more than 33 seats but i loved the seats and the legroom on those buses. 

I wonder who makes those seats in the Pace NFs.? I wonder if #20400 has those seats. I wasnt crazy about no stop request cords either. The cords are there for a reason now you must get up and try to get to the push button before you miss your stop. The concentration is broke up on maintaining your balance in a moving vehicle. I see more falls on board. Remember the old grumman's. They actually had a push bar button built into the walls of the bus. This way you could push it in your seat. Smarter and safer. But they soon wore out. Most didnt work after awhile. Funny in my bus your not supposed to move the bus while the occupants are standing. Yet in the transit world standing is the norm. 

22 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder who makes those seats in the Pace NFs.? I wonder if #20400 has those seats. I wasnt crazy about no stop request cords either. The cords are there for a reason now you must get up and try to get to the push button before you miss your stop. The concentration is broke up on maintaining your balance in a moving vehicle. I see more falls on board. Remember the old grumman's. They actually had a push bar button built into the walls of the bus. This way you could push it in your seat. Smarter and safer. But they soon wore out. Most didnt work after awhile. Funny in my bus your not supposed to move the bus while the occupants are standing. Yet in the transit world standing is the norm. 

I don't mind the stop request buttons.  It seems to reduce my prr peeve of passengers pulling the cord too early.  When the driver stops, the passenger tells him sorry, but they actually want the bext stop.  It was also frustrating to have cut cords.  Corda can be a safety hazard for children..  i don't know if the cordless route was a New Flyer or Pace idea

11 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't mind the stop request buttons.  It seems to reduce my prr peeve of passengers pulling the cord too early.  When the driver stops, the passenger tells him sorry, but they actually want the bext stop.  It was also frustrating to have cut cords.  Corda can be a safety hazard for children..  i don't know if the cordless route was a New Flyer or Pace idea

The #700s have pull cords so it's not in relation to Xcelsiors in general. Wow the grab handles on the back transverse seats are plastic. Wow things are so cheap nowadays. I'm waiting for plastic grab bars throughout the bus. Having pull cords is not a necessity but having a way to make a stop request without getting out of your seat is. Could you imagine that on a crowded #22. You would go half a mile before you could get to the stop request button. Lol!! Heaven forbid if it dont work. Usually a veteran operator can hear a cord being pulled even if the stop request bell is broken. But a button I dont know. 

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The #700s have pull cords so it's not in relation to Xcelsiors in general. Wow the grab handles on the back transverse seats are plastic. Wow things are so cheap nowadays. I'm waiting for plastic grab bars throughout the bus. Having pull cords is not a necessity but having a way to make a stop request without getting out of your seat is. Could you imagine that on a crowded #22. You would go half a mile before you could get to the stop request button. Lol!! Heaven forbid if it dont work. Usually a veteran operator can hear a cord being pulled even if the stop request bell is broken. But a button I dont know. 

There are enough poles with the buttons so that you are not more than a row away from the nearest stop request buttons. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Freedman Seating makes the seats in the XD40's and they're the exact same design as the ones in CTA's 2014-2019 Nova LFS buses. 20400 has the same seats as the rest of the XD40 fleet.

43 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Freedman Seating makes the seats in the XD40's and they're the exact same design as the ones in CTA's 2014-2019 Nova LFS buses. 20400 has the same seats as the rest of the XD40 fleet.

True. In fact, the old-school seats such as the Freedman Angel and the American Seating (AMSECO) 6468 were eventually discontinued. At AMSECO, the default seat choice is now the InSight Classic (it was just called InSight when the CTA and Pace ordered the buses that they were installed in) - the same design as the ones in the current 30-foot Eldos and most of the 1000-series CTA New Flyers.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 11:33 AM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Not what I saw unless #20420 has something different. The backs in these recline back more. Maybe the rear bench seats are different. 

23 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

There haven't been any more XD40's since 20476 on September 28 on the tracker but 20480 was shown on a post above. So the deliveries have slowed or 20477 is a ghost bus.

I wonder what was the purpose of ordering another 10 buses? They look the same as the other 76. The nabis are already gone, so they really dont need them. Wait until the 2021  budget year starts there really gonna have a surplus then. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...