8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

48 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

When in the hell is 74th getting some of the newer novas is what I wanna know. And why do 77th always getting new buses over 74th ?.

7 is the golden child that's why they was skipped on first dips to help FG & 3 out now 7 getting their dibs & now the 7900's gonna get sent to 6 before heading west so get ready to fix alot of buses 

6 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

When in the hell is 74th getting some of the newer novas is what I wanna know. And why do 77th always getting new buses over 74th ?.

Maybe because 74th is getting the nod for more electric buses in the future along with having a younger fleet average age than 77th. These newer Novas aren't worth all the hype. They're slower on acceleration than the current fleet of 7900s we have and this back door is the most annoying thing about them to me at least. Its like the rear interlock was stolen from the #4000s and placed on these #8350s.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

You’re not alone, between 2000 and 2002 77th got some #6400’s in hand before 74th. Archer was first with the base order of the #1000’s in 2006 before 77th and Kedzie I think. 74th along with 77th and 103rd have beaten the sand out of these #1000’s.  I remember there used to be a mix of 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 models throughout the southside of the city before the rehabs in 2014. 77th had some #1930’s, 103rd had the #1800’s  and at least 30 #1700’s were given to 74th to spare the #6000’s due to their breakdowns. Now after the rehabs was completed with the #7900’s coming in to start phasing out the #6400’s, we’re stuck with these 2006 and 2007 models down south, while the 2008 and 2009 models got switched up north that 103rd, 74th and 77th lost during the moves.

Edited by Bus1883

7 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

You’re not alone, between 2000 and 2002 77th got some #6400’s in hand before 74th. Archer was first with the base order of the #1000’s in 2006 before 77th and Kedzie I think. 74th along with 77th and 103rd have beaten the sand out of these #1000’s.  I remember there used to be a mix of 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 models throughout the southside of the city before the rehabs in 2014. 77th had some #1930’s, 103rd had the #1800’s  and at least 30 #1700’s were given to 74th to spare the #6000’s due to their breakdowns. Now after the rehabs was completed with the #7900’s coming in to start phasing out the #6400’s, we’re stuck with these 2006 and 2007 models down south, while the 2008 and 2009 models got switched up north that 103rd, 74th and 77th lost during the moves.

While the South Side has the bulk of the older 1000s, it's the NEWER  model 1000s that are crapping out. That is creating a dilemma for CTA.   I'm sure they would prefer to retire the older models first, but they have so many higher numbered buses that probably aren't fit for service THAT TAKE might have to rethink their strategies going forward 

8 hours ago, William Miles said:

Do anyone know what the update with the 8350 series. Because i haven't see any, new ones on the street since yesterday  when i rode 8529 on route 8 Halsted. 

I had #8529 and it was annoying to say the least. I was getting passed left and right by #1000s. 

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

How do you get passed with these big gaps in service?

From the UIC Blue Line to Grand/Milwaukee I was passed by my followers all due to heavy congestion and high ridership. I rode tail end Charlee on them. It took 3 of us 20+ to inch from Lake Street to Grand. Yesterday was bad but today was even worse with Greek Fest going on.

27 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

From the UIC Blue Line to Grand/Milwaukee I was passed by my followers all due to heavy congestion and high ridership. I rode tail end Charlee on them. It took 3 of us 20+ to inch from Lake Street to Grand. Yesterday was bad but today was even worse with Greek Fest going on.

So it was the congestion. Not the new bus?

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So it was the congestion. Not the new bus?

A combination of both. I was on time for the most part after leaving Root but once I started to enter the UIC area the traffic, ridership and overall mechanical drawbacks of the bus really began to slow me down. The slow acceleration and rear doors were my biggest issues.  The #1000s have the best interlock system, it's old school and fast. Takes less than a second to close the rear doors before I accelerate. The #8350s rear interlock takes about 3 - 5 seconds. 

Honestly if K sees further 1000s displaced by Novas, I still would prefer it be by 8350s than 7900s because the A/C on the 7900s has been crappy for the entire time CTA has had them. Lately whenever I get the 7 into downtown to make my connection to either the 136 or 147 the rest of the way home from work, more often than not the bus serving the trip has been a 7900. And each time, I felt like I was roasting by the time I made into downtown. It was even worse last week with the record high temps and triple digit heat index readings. At first, I was chalking it up to the 7900s not having tinted windows like the 8350s. But today dater riding yet another 7900 on the 7, it's even more obvious that 7900 A/Cs are incredibly bad. You barely can feel any air running from them. That's not the case so much with 8350s, and the tinted windows are basically an added bonus.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Honestly if K sees further 1000s displaced by Novas, I still would prefer it be by 8350s than 7900s because the A/C on the 7900s has been crappy for the entire time CTA has had them. Lately whenever I get the 7 into downtown to make my connection to either the 136 or 147 the rest of the way home from work, more often than not the bus serving the trip has been a 7900. And each time, I felt like I was roasting by the time I made into downtown. It was even worse last week with the record high temps and triple digit heat index readings. At first, I was chalking it up to the 7900s not having tinted windows like the 8350s. But today dater riding yet another 7900 on the 7, it's even more obvious that 7900 A/Cs are incredibly bad. You barely can feel any air running from them. That's not the case so much with 8350s, and the tinted windows are basically an added bonus.

Ima say this, the #6400s had the best AC out all the other series I had rode on in the past and present and they never had tinted windows. However the #8325s and the upcoming #8350s are doing pretty good compared to the #7900s, there could be problems with the hoses somewhere. Could they still get an midlife overhaul as the oldest batch are currently 9 years old? Which was the age the #1000s were getting rehabbed. I’m pretty sure a lot of bus servicers and operators from the garage are complaining about them. If not we’d have to suck it up for the next 3+ years before any are eligible for retirement.

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

I guess K has figured out how to deploy the Novas.  Put them on routes with lighter ridership.  We know how bad the ac is on these buses and that is with a light load.  Once the bus becomes crowded it becomes an oven.  Mix in the high hot Temps and you have a rolling sauna.  The high temps will be back this weekend.

The worst place to sit is the rear of the bus.  You may want to consider another bus route or the Blue Line  

On 8/28/2023 at 9:00 PM, artthouwill said:

I guess K has figured out how to deploy the Novas.  Put them on routes with lighter ridership.  We know how bad the ac is on these buses and that is with a light load.  Once the bus becomes crowded it becomes an oven.  Mix in the high hot Temps and you have a rolling sauna.  The high temps will be back this weekend.

The worst place to sit is the rear of the bus.  You may want to consider another bus route or the Blue Line  

On 8/28/2023 at 5:41 PM, Bus1883 said:

Ima say this, the #6400s had the best AC out all the other series I had rode on in the past and present and they never had tinted windows. However the #8325s and the upcoming #8350s are doing pretty good compared to the #7900s, there could be problems with the hoses somewhere. Could they still get an midlife overhaul as the oldest batch are currently 9 years old? Which was the age the #1000s were getting rehabbed. I’m pretty sure a lot of bus servicers and operators from the garage are complaining about them. If not we’d have to suck it up for the next 3+ years before any are eligible for retirement.

The 8200s were manufactured in 2016 so they're technically going on 7 years old right now but nonetheless they shouldn't have that bad of an issue in regards to the A/C. The #7900s were next in line after the #4300s to get an overhaul so maybe in the next year or so once the pending deliveries of the #8350s are complete. 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:55 PM, jajuan said:

I'm still puzzled by how 77th is some how getting #8350s before Kedzie. No matter how small the amount is those newer buses outside of #8405 should of been given to Kedzie. Sadly the #7900s are only good for heating because it has been well documented over the years with how bad the A/C is on them during the summer months. 

On 8/30/2023 at 8:49 AM, YoungBusLover said:

The 8200s were manufactured in 2016 so they're technically going on 7 years old right now but nonetheless they shouldn't have that bad of an issue in regards to the A/C. The #7900s were next in line after the #4300s to get an overhaul so maybe in the next year or so once the pending deliveries of the #8350s are complete. 

I'm still puzzled by how 77th is some how getting #8350s before Kedzie. No matter how small the amount is those newer buses outside of #8405 should of been given to Kedzie. Sadly the #7900s are only good for heating because it has been well documented over the years with how bad the A/C is on them during the summer months. 

Well I can tell you that the A/C on the 8200s are just as bad because virtually every Kedzie Nova from my mentioned encounters on the 7 has been one of the former FG assigned Novas received in that recent swap between K and FG.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Well I can tell you that the A/C on the 8200s are just as bad because virtually every Kedzie Nova from my mentioned encounters on the 7 has been one of the former FG assigned Novas received in that recent swap between K and FG.

The 2016 model of the LFS received a few new modifications in the rear that was suppose to help with circulating the air better during the summer months in regards to the A/C but I guess they haven't. The rear window setup might be the biggest flaw with the #7900's. CTA had the option to go windowless but didn't which after 2018 is probably why 8325 - present doesn't have the rear window along with better climate control on the roof as well.  I hope they can replace those HVACs during the rehabs with newer ones currently on the 8350s.