Starting Young

MY elementary school goes up to 8th grade, i'm in 8th grade. Yes, i've taken those bus routes, i'm not stupid and I have knowledge about CTA's routes.

In support here, I started into buses at the age of 3...yes 3. That was nothing more than looking out the window at buses travelling on Western Ave, and throwing temper tantrums when I could not ride. I used to go to school studying the route map. I probably knew more about CTA when I was 9 then most people would ever care to know...that was simply by writing letters to the information department and then waiting for the mailman to deliver me replies. I studied the route map on the way to school. I had an uncle who was a bus driver and on one special Friday took me through Archer, the old Kedzie and Keeler garages, plus a trip on the old Lake Dan Ryan L end to end. I had another uncle who would quiz me on routes by throwing numbers out of the blue and I would have to say the route and where it went.

As I got older, it was Sunday excursions using the old supertransfer. All I ever wanted to be was a bus driver, but the fear of landing on Madison Street at 1am was enough to deter me from going CTA way (Madison was a little bit more notorious in the 60's and 70's that it is today). However, I got my chance with Pace in Aurora after striking out twice with Nortran (to this day, I still don't know why)...which is where I spent time in between railroad gigs.

The moral of this long and perhaps boring story...although Timmy may be young and at time irritating (yes, sometimes you are admit it), he may know as much as anybody and in many ways may know more...and perhaps someplace down the road on a computer forum, will be the voice of reason who has the garage list of the Sim City bus system to refer explaining why the batteries on the entire fleet of 90 foot hybrid buses failed to power the neon destination signs under the bike racks that fell off the front of the bus after stopping at a stop where the electronic bus stop went dark (a strange referral to perhaps the future). ;)

My Bus obsession started when I was 3 years old after I saw the 1994 movie "Speed", I also loved riding the CTA and Pace buses. Sometimes driving around town we would spot Work Buses and my Dad talked to the Ironworkers and they would let me sit on the driver seat and honk the horn, I remember getting on a GMC Fishbowl behind the Blockbuster at Milwaukee/Wabansia and a Flyer D901 at Chicago/Franklin. I also memorized the route map and my uncle who was a driver out of NP would always quiz me.

Does anyone remember seeing a GMC Fishbowl work bus with eyes spray painted on the back windows?

I started at 3 also. I had a friend who had this massive collection of schedules, and pamhlets. I remembered he had a pamhlet about the 7100's that I liked.

Living on the north side, I was exposed to a lot of buses. Especially since I lived on the lakefront, I managed to see various buses, from the Orion I (from the 210), to the 7100's on the 145 express.

I guess being young, I started investing in making my own schedules (of bus routes that don't exist), and designing my own buses. Later, I've searched for computer games and video games that had buses, and that had fed my love for it.

Yes, if one starts looking into buses at a young age, then the experience and the knowledge will pay off in the future.

My Bus obsession started when I was 3 years old after I saw the 1994 movie "Speed", I also loved riding the CTA and Pace buses. Sometimes driving around town we would spot Work Buses and my Dad talked to the Ironworkers and they would let me sit on the driver seat and honk the horn, I remember getting on a GMC Fishbowl behind the Blockbuster at Milwaukee/Wabansia and a Flyer D901 at Chicago/Franklin. I also memorized the route map and my uncle who was a driver out of NP would always quiz me.

Does anyone remember seeing a GMC Fishbowl work bus with eyes spray painted on the back windows?

I started my son on buses when he was three. On the weekends when I'm with him, I take him on whatever bus he wants to go on.

And yes, I remember that fishbowl with the eyes. I've been in that bus at least six times. I miss it.

In support here, I started into buses at the age of 3...yes 3. That was nothing more than looking out the window at buses travelling on Western Ave, and throwing temper tantrums when I could not ride. I used to go to school studying the route map. I probably knew more about CTA when I was 9 then most people would ever care to know...that was simply by writing letters to the information department and then waiting for the mailman to deliver me replies. I studied the route map on the way to school. I had an uncle who was a bus driver and on one special Friday took me through Archer, the old Kedzie and Keeler garages, plus a trip on the old Lake Dan Ryan L end to end. I had another uncle who would quiz me on routes by throwing numbers out of the blue and I would have to say the route and where it went.

As I got older, it was Sunday excursions using the old supertransfer. All I ever wanted to be was a bus driver, but the fear of landing on Madison Street at 1am was enough to deter me from going CTA way (Madison was a little bit more notorious in the 60's and 70's that it is today). However, I got my chance with Pace in Aurora after striking out twice with Nortran (to this day, I still don't know why)...which is where I spent time in between railroad gigs.

I started getting into buses when I was about 2 years old. I remember #5499 is my very first bus ride ever. I was a 1 year old at that time and didn't care about buses. I really start liking the buses when the NOVAs arrived and my interest hasn't dimmed since then. I remember one time when I threw a tantrum in 2002 when I had to ride a Flxible (really didn't like them at the time) on #76 Diversey, but I grew to like them from that time and now i'm upset that they're retiring. I will be much more upset when the 6000s retire because it'll mean the end of Flxibles in Chicago.

The moral of this long and perhaps boring story...although Timmy may be young and at time irritating (yes, sometimes you are admit it), he may know as much as anybody and in many ways may know more...and perhaps someplace down the road on a computer forum, will be the voice of reason who has the garage list of the Sim City bus system to refer explaining why the batteries on the entire fleet of 90 foot hybrid buses failed to power the neon destination signs under the bike racks that fell off the front of the bus after stopping at a stop where the electronic bus stop went dark (a strange referral to perhaps the future). ;)

One question: how'd you know my name? Also, I have my reasons as into being irritating, but it's not on purpose (please pm me if you want to know). BTW, I don't care about Sim City's transit system :lol:.

I probably remember buses from about when I was 6 or so, and that was in Hammond. My mother didn't drive, so we used the bus a lot. She once accused me of saying "choo choo" when we were on a bus stuck by a train (which often happened there), p.o.ing the other passengers.

At that time, one wondered why the signs on the Hammond buses were so nondescriptive--i.e. you would take a bus in Downtown Hammond that said "HAMMOND" and didn't go straight down any street. Most of the routes snaked around, and, for instance, you needed to transfer from a #1 to #5 to get from Calumet Ave. on the south side to the north side. So, some issues don't change in a child's eye.

I noticed bus numbering when the numbers jumped from 519 to 2906-2911. I though that meant the company had 2911 buses, but was told no, it was only 78 or so. About 50 years later it was explained that the difference was that the company had become part of ATC and was using its numbering system.

At that time, they had very old GMs with square windows, newer GMs with rounded window bottoms, and then, starting in 1959, smaller New Looks. Again, it was a bit strange that some of the 2900s were old looks and the last couple were New Looks. In the later years, some old buses cycled through, and it was, again much later, explained that this was due to ATC shuffling its fleet.

During road construction, the bus was rerouted in front of my house, and I would hold it up for my sisters, who were slow. Fortunately, it was near the end of the route.

We would occasionally visit Chicago, and again the 8600s on the South Side looked strange, but I couldn't put my finger on the difference (the parallelogram windows) until I moved to Chicago in 1968. Also, the round logo for the CTA looked a lot like the one for HFC (Household Finance Corp). The passenger island [formerly] at 67th and Stony Island also looked strange; I wondered why we had to go to the right of it to get to the Museum of Science and Industry.

One question: how'd you know my name?
Don't put it in your digital signature if you don't want us to know.

This might have been flip elsewhere but fits here--the real question is how you are becoming younger agewise? Or were you in fifth grade during the bus driver hoax?

My Bus obsession started when I was 3 years old after I saw the 1994 movie "Speed."
Didn't Homer Simpson say that the name of that movie was "The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down?" :o

Don't put it in your digital signature if you don't want us to know.

This might have been flip elsewhere but fits here--the real question is how you are becoming younger agewise? Or were you in fifth grade during the bus driver hoax?

I want it there, but i'm just suprised that anybody used my name. I'm not becoming younger, i'm getting older. I was in fifth grade from September 2004 to June 2005, so not really. I would say I started the hoax when I was in sixth grade (September 2005 to June 2006).

My interest in buses started when I was fairly young, but I can't pinpoint an exact age. I rode the #62 Archer frequently with my grandparents. I wasn't a fan of the Fishbowls at that time due to their age and eagerly looked forward to their replacement. It was always a very nice treat to ride a MAN Articulated, as I enjoyed them due to their size and modern design. While during the week these ran only on the #62 express service (which I never rode), they would often run on the local service on the weekends.

My most "intimate" experience with buses came when I was around five and the driver of a Fishbowl lost control of the vehicle, sending it directly into the building where I lived. Luckily, I lived on the second level and was not affected by the crash. Nevertheless, it was certainly an interesting experience that I'll never forget.

My most "intimate" experience with buses came when I was around five and the driver of a Fishbowl lost control of the vehicle, sending it directly into the building where I lived. Luckily, I lived on the second level and was not affected by the crash. Nevertheless, it was certainly an interesting experience that I'll never forget.

WOW! That's intense! I wonder what happened after that.

My interest in buses started when I was fairly young, but I can't pinpoint an exact age. I rode the #62 Archer frequently with my grandparents. I wasn't a fan of the Fishbowls at that time due to their age and eagerly looked forward to their replacement. It was always a very nice treat to ride a MAN Articulated, as I enjoyed them due to their size and modern design. While during the week these ran only on the #62 express service (which I never rode), they would often run on the local service on the weekends.

Wow, we have a lot in common! I used to ride the 62 Archer almost every day with my parents, just to know the places, and to go shopping sometimes! I also knew a lot of the CTA system when I was young, but no one really cares (people who know me that is), so I'm starting to forget everything!

My first memories of being fascinated with buses were from age 3 or 4. I started out mostly with riding the GMC fishbowls and Flxible 3700s on 12 Roosevelt and 94 S. California when going shopping with my mom. I remember how their drive trains made them sound similar while accelerating with the 3700s having a deeper 'voice' than the fishbowls. As I got older, I pictured it as them being like people where the 3700s had a deep masculine voice while the fishbowls had a feminine voice to them. The fishbowls were my favorite up to the point of the Americanas arriving.

I remember the first time I saw an Americana when returning to Chicago in late summer of 1985 from a visit to my grandmother during summer vacation. It was on Columbus on the lakefront during one of the early training drives after their first arrivals. It was love at first sight. I was intrigued by its similarities to the old 7100s but it was in a single unit form. The sound of that engine put in the mind of the power behind that of a truck's engine. I'd see them almost daily on the 12 Roosevelt, which the route on which I first saw them in passenger service. I never got to ride them though during those early days because a fishbowl would always come when waiting for a bus on that route. It wasn't until Americanas went into service on the 94 about a year and or so later that I got a chance to ride one for the first time. After that, it was the just about the only bus I rode most of the time on nonaccessible routes. My first experience with them on an express route was on a 6 Jeffery Express when going to the Museum of Science and Industry in high school. What a rush.

I wasn't much into buses until age 5 or 6 when my parents moved to a house on Pulaski. Seeing the buses drive by everyday I got more and more infatuated with them. I started to notice buses that weren't so frequent on the route (bicenntennial flxibles to this day I don't know which ones) and when I got to ride one it was pure heaven. I started noticing other buses (#300's at Forest Glen I think) with their roar of the engine. I felt like I was riding a rocket ship. (Oh God what I wouldn't give to bring back those days). Since then my desire grew and grew. I learned about bus numbers and understood what that mean't. Toward the end of elementary school I started venturing around the city alone to see the various types of buses. I got to see the #7100's and couldn't get over how the two bus halves stayed together. In high school my desire for more information started. I started to keep a log on what buses I seen and where they were stationed. Toward the end of high school I started researching the history of the CTA. It's amazing how much you can learn from reading books and gathering facts. I took notes and started up my own personal history of the CTA. After high school in my free time I would keep contributing to what I call an archive with newer facts. I started thinking you know when you are old the things that you could have to look back upon. The search never ends because there is always something new to note. Presently I have alot of information and am always looking for new sources of information. This website is my latest source. I was hesitate to join at first but I kept feeling the need to contribute and have my questions answered because I don't know everything but I would like to. Hopefully together we can find what we are all looking for!!

My memory of my first ride comes from the mid-1980's on the #77. That route was full of Flyer D901's(my favorite bus). The very first bus I ever boarded was a Flyer, I would've loved to have boarded one before they retired in 2002 for one last farewell, but I never had the chance, and I doubt if any WB's are left, the ironworkers would let me board to take a few quick pics of the interior.

I did board some Fishbowls and Americanas, but not as often as the aforementioned D901's. These were my favorite buses!!! :(

In memory of the first CTA bus I ever boarded... I know you've been gone for several years from revenue service, but I didn't have the chance to get one last ride. Farewell D901's, your impression will always be everlasting in me.

BTW, OT here: If anyone has a link that'll get me a CTA Flyer Paperbus, I'd appreciate it.

My memory of my first ride comes from the mid-1980's on the #77. That route was full of Flyer D901's(my favorite bus). The very first bus I ever boarded was a Flyer, I would've loved to have boarded one before they retired in 2002 for one last farewell, but I never had the chance, and I doubt if any WB's are left, the ironworkers would let me board to take a few quick pics of the interior.

I did board some Fishbowls and Americanas, but not as often as the aforementioned D901's. These were my favorite buses!!! :(

In memory of the first CTA bus I ever boarded... I know you've been gone for several years from revenue service, but I didn't have the chance to get one last ride. Farewell D901's, your impression will always be everlasting in me.

BTW, OT here: If anyone has a link that'll get me a CTA Flyer Paperbus, I'd appreciate it.

The last WBs are sitting in the 77th yard. I took pictures and posted a link to them a few weeks ago. I also have the roller curtain from a Flyer. For a paper bus: search "paper bus connection" on google. The site has some paper Flyers. No D901s, but you can modify a few of the models using Microsoft Paint to make them into CTA Flyers.