Spring Pick Route Moves

Kevin

... Alot of #4400's have now transferred to kedzie, practically all the #4400's (the #4400- #4499 ones) only #4500's and a couple #4600's are now at Np. ... I counted up the total numbers for North Park yesterday I'm coming up with about 297 buses there. That's almost 70 buses less. Wow!! Kedzie has roughly about 312 buses now.
The above observation, if correct, is consistent with rmadison's prediction "that North Park will not have any TMCs left by the time the new hybrid artics start arriving." However, while consistent with that NP would go below 300, it does not seem consistent with the post that a purpose of the move was to assure "that no garage would have a fleet allocation over 300 buses," as well as of Kedzie's supposed capacity of 250. I await further updates.

I have a few more changes that I would love to see happen: The #9 Ashland bus route should be moved from 74th to Archer and shortened to the Ashland Orange line station because it is a crosstown route like the #49, and there should also be a #16 South Ashland bus route that should operate out of 74th and between the Ashland Orange line station and 95th; the #71 bus route should be moved from 77th Garage to 103rd Garage because the south terminal at 112th and Torrence looks closer to 103rd Garage than 77th Garage; the #6 express route should also be moved from 77th Garage to 103rd Garage and its south terminal should be moved from 79th and South Shore to 92nd and Buffalo; and the 74th/75th Street bus route should be split in two and shortened to the 79th and Perry bus terminal and moved from 74th to 77th, and there should be a 75W West 74th bus route that should be operated out of 74th and terminate at the 79th Red line station.

I have a few more changes that I would love to see happen: The #9 Ashland bus route should be moved from 74th to Archer because it is a crosstown route like the #49; the #71 bus route should be moved from 77th Garage to 103rd Garage because the south terminal at 112th and Torrence looks closer to 103rd Garage than 77th Garage; the #6 express route should also be moved from 77th Garage to 103rd Garage and its south terminal should be moved from 79th and South Shore to 92nd and Buffalo; and the 74th/75th Street bus route should be split in two and shortened to the 79th and Perry bus terminal and moved from 74th to 77th, and there should be a 74W bus route that can be operated out of 74th and its east terminal should be at the 79th Red line station.

Ok interesting ideas. But how would you cover the 9 with this move. Archer already is operating the 49, X49, 50 and 60 along with some other lengthy bus routes. Where would the extra buses needed to cover such a change come from? As it stands now, Archer is already short on buses right now as we speak with the latest transfers and route reassignments. That's part of why folks have been reporting Optimas being assigned to busy routes such as the 62 in the Archer Optimas thread. How would they be able to handle such a long route like the 9 Ashland when they already have to handle the longest bus route in the system, X49, along with the 49 local and other long routes?

Earlier today, I saw a #11 Lincoln bus going northbound with a run number in the P09X range (I can't remember what the last digit was). A little later I saw a #11 going southbound with a run number P347.

Then later in the evening I saw 2 #152 Addison buses with run numbers F561 going westbound by Wrigley and a few blocks later one going eastbound with run number F55x (again can't remember the last digit). Both Addison buses were Novas, and both Lincoln's were Flyers.

Seemed a bit odd since Addison's runs are supposed to be in the 800's and Lincoln's in the 500's

Earlier today, I saw a #11 Lincoln bus going northbound with a run number in the P09X range (I can't remember what the last digit was). A little later I saw a #11 going southbound with a run number P347.

Then later in the evening I saw 2 #152 Addison buses with run numbers F561 going westbound by Wrigley and a few blocks later one going eastbound with run number F55x (again can't remember the last digit). Both Addison buses were Novas, and both Lincoln's were Flyers.

Seemed a bit odd since Addison's runs are supposed to be in the 800's and Lincoln's in the 500's

Could be interlines.

Could be interlines.

Some runs operate different routes on either both platforms (like if a driver does 93 Cali on first half & 11 Lincoln on the second half) or they might do interlining doing 2 or even multiple routes on one platform (like if a driver's doing a NB 56A route leaving Jeff Park to Devon and doing a full round-trip on the 86 Narragansett and come back and do the SB 56A to Jeff Park to end one of the platforms).

As for the new schedules, I saw the new schedules 68 Northwest Highway. I guess that ends the 45 Minute headway sunday service. But the route still runs 30 minutes on Sundays. Also for the spring pick moves, 53A is Added as well.

And I saw #5417 on #82 Kimball-Homan just a few days the pick. That's amazing knowing its at Chicago now. I also can't wait to see #5553, #5709 and #5439.

You can add #5579 and #5602 to Chicago garage, #5579 was on either the #53 or #54, and #5602 was on Diversey. i rode #5602. To me the bus seemed in better shape than what Chicago had, it still had that bounce in it that the #5300's had, like it still had good shocks. I wonder if Chicago is retiring their #5300's and taking Kedzie's #5300's or keeping them both. In other news, Busjack was complaining that Kedzie had more than 300 buses, guess what they have even more than that!! I saw #7718 and #7725 on the #148 and #145 yesterday, along with #4700 on #145. So they are also getting buses from 103rd too.

So it is safe to assume the the 7710?-7725 are now at Kedzie. I believe they were at NP and 103rd. SO how many NABI do 77th have now? I remember 7686-7709? And of course the numerical sequence is out the window.

Did 74th assume the am trips for 108 or is 103rd doing all trips?

I see that the 2 PM NB tirps and the X28 ends earlier now. I guess the those previous trips on the #2 were 103rd trip and went to the X28 or 14 in the PM.

So it is safe to assume the the 7710?-7725 are now at Kedzie. I believe they were at NP and 103rd. SO how many NABI do 77th have now? I remember 7686-7709? And of course the numerical sequence is out the window.

Did 74th assume the am trips for 108 or is 103rd doing all trips?

I see that the 2 PM NB tirps and the X28 ends earlier now. I guess the those previous trips on the #2 were 103rd trip and went to the X28 or 14 in the PM.

Yeah, #7711 - #7725 are at Kedzie. #7711 - #7717 was formerly at NP and #7718 - #7725 was formerly at 103rd since last April 2007. Before then they were at 77th. As for what 77th has, Kedzie felt sorry for them and gave them #7685, so 77th now has #7685 - #7710. The way things are shaping up at 77th, they'll be most likely getting #600's to replace what TMC's they have. So soon they should have about 40 more artics there.

Yeah, #7711 - #7725 are at Kedzie. #7711 - #7717 was formerly at NP and #7718 - #7725 was formerly at 103rd since last April 2007. Before then they were at 77th. As for what 77th has, Kedzie felt sorry for them and gave them #7685, so 77th now has #7685 - #7710. The way things are shaping up at 77th, they'll be most likely getting #600's to replace what TMC's they have. So soon they should have about 40 more artics there.

I hope you right about 77th getting more artics.

They can run a few more on King Dr in the evening. :D

This morning I rode bus #1255 on the 100 Jeffery Manor Express. That bus was very fast and from 77th, so does this mean 77th and 103 will eventually trade flyers, or is it because 103 has two more routes from 77th and needs help?

Hello! Is anyone out there? I asked a question three days ago and still no answer. Why am I being ignored?

Hello! Is anyone out there? I asked a question three days ago and still no answer. Why am I being ignored?

From what I understand from the posts regarding CTA's bus consolidation plan among garages, there's no plan to trade New Flyers among 77th and 103rd. It's quite possible that 1255 was just a loan to 103rd on that day since 100 is still listed as assigned to 103rd. Rmadison should be able to answer this better than I can since he has better access to the information regarding the consolidations. Despite that I hope this did help you out somewhat.

I haven't had a chance to observe 145/148 since last Friday's PM rush due to my return to work from vacation. At the time, there mostly NABIs operating both routes from where I was making my observations on Wilson during the early evening and on State/Van Buren earlier in the rush . Earlier that week, during the AM rush when I observed them there were mostly TMCs. Has Kedzie mixed it up a bit to get some New Flyers included in there during the week? The only time I had a chance to observe New Flyers on either route after the spring changes was on 145 on the very first day of the changes.

I haven't had a chance to observe 145/148 since last Friday's PM rush due to my return to work from vacation. At the time, there mostly NABIs operating both routes from where I was making my observations on Wilson during the early evening and on State/Van Buren earlier in the rush . Earlier that week, during the AM rush when I observed them there were mostly TMCs. Has Kedzie mixed it up a bit to get some New Flyers included in there during the week? The only time I had a chance to observe New Flyers on either route after the spring changes was on 145 on the very first day of the changes.

I don't know about 148, but 145 has been exclusively artics mid-day through early evening when I am headed to and from work. (1:30-2:00 in and 7:30-8:00 out). Quite a few artics on 151 too. Last Saturday there were both Kedzie and North Park 151s on the Inner Drive south of North Ave.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about 148, but 145 has been exclusively artics mid-day through early evening when I am headed to and from work. (1:30-2:00 in and 7:30-8:00 out). Quite a few artics on 151 too. Last Saturday there were both Kedzie and North Park 151s on the Inner Drive south of North Ave.

From what I've seen of the 148, 40 footers are used a lot during the morning rush, but it's almost exclusively artics in the evening rush. For the 145 it's been pretty much like you've seen, a mix of 40 footers and artics in the morning and just about exclusively artics in the afternoon rush on through the rest of the evening, except for a stray TMC or Flyer here and there in the late part of the PM rush. Since those evening artics on both routes are packed to the gills a lot of the time, it looks like the passenger load is way more heavier in the PM rush than the morning.

For anyone who's interested new updated 3/23 schedules are now posted for 63 ... now too.
For 63, it obviously doesn't have to do with a garage change, but it appears that nearly half of the weekday buses now short turn at Kedzie. Is this something new?

BTW, I haven't seen a need to archive schedules up to this point.

For 63, it obviously doesn't have to do with a garage change, but it appears that nearly half of the weekday buses now short turn at Kedzie. Is this something new?

BTW, I haven't seen a need to archive schedules up to this point.

It's not so much a need as much as satisfying a curiosity. There were members who were curious as to how different schedules would change after the garage changes, so this bit of info is more for them than anything. Not all info given or discussed has to necessarily be justified because of a 'need'. :lol:

Curiosity should also suffice.

BTW I know 63 doesn't have to do with a garage change. I included it for completeness.