Man Americana CTA Bus

Archon

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I dont remember it being a race issue. It was more an issue of how the stevenson exit was designed in relation to lsd. The fact that the car was dragged under the bus several feet without it stopping and slamming into a pole, does make one wonder if the drivers reaction time was slow. I wouldve looked at his dtiving hours and seen if maybe he was tired cause the reaction time is slower. I once had a similar issue happen to me had a guy come to a complete stop at the dan ryan skyway split sb. I had to stand on the pedal to get it to stop was doing 45. I had a full load which will push the bus. I got the bus stopped. Sometimes driving can be physical. I believe that you can muscle the bus to stop. If you dont have the foot pressure you will not stop. Now with him having an artic thats more weight yet, so maybe he did all he could and the bus pushed him. You have to figure your reaction time though. Like they tell us where I work. 90 percent of the time the auto is a fault because they dont know that you cant stop on a dime. It was a bad day.

How much effect would a hill have in this case because if it’s by soldier field then it’s a pretty moderate downgrade at that point as well. They say the car jumped out in front and I’ll say even though I haven’t driven a bus, being on the road on both car and bike I can tell you the way some people jump over from another lane into your path whether due to impatience or overall bad judgement In allowable space to make the maneuver, some cases take having a psychic on your side to predict. 

• Upvote 1

T

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I dont remember it being a race issue. It was more an issue of how the stevenson exit was designed in relation to lsd. The fact that the car was dragged under the bus several feet without it stopping and slamming into a pole, does make one wonder if the drivers reaction time was slow. I wouldve looked at his dtiving hours and seen if maybe he was tired cause the reaction time is slower. I once had a similar issue happen to me had a guy come to a complete stop at the dan ryan skyway split sb. I had to stand on the pedal to get it to stop was doing 45. I had a full load which will push the bus. I got the bus stopped. Sometimes driving can be physical. I believe that you can muscle the bus to stop. If you dont have the foot pressure you will not stop. Now with him having an artic thats more weight yet, so maybe he did all he could and the bus pushed him. You have to figure your reaction time though. Like they tell us where I work. 90 percent of the time the auto is a fault because they dont know that you cant stop on a dime. It was a bad day.

Then another thing…. Why were 7 people in a Cadillac? I’m sure that doesn’t help visibility 

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I don't know if you remember,  but SB Columbus merged into SB Lake Shore Drive.   As a frequent rider of the 6 and thev14, the bus drivers tried to get across from the right lane to the left lanes as quickly as possible because the right lanes would be backed up with cars trying to exit at the Stevenson ramp.  The middle lane usually had traffic that would merged to thr right exit lanes at the last minute.   The left lanes were free flowing.  There were no traffic signals on SB LSD like there were on NB LSD. 

IMAGINE a fully loaded artic changing lanes and building speed.  I believe the far left lane had traffic turning into Soldier Field parking lot.   Umagune this one car realizing he's in the wrong lane and decides to stop to try to get in that left lane, not realizing that LSD is more like an expressway than a wide suburban road.  With 6 other passengers in the car, he can't see in his rear view mirror a big bus is behind him.  Sad 

But I certainly remember Channel 1 sent out reporters to clock speeds if the bus drivers. 

Remember a few years ago when an officer in the north burns was found dead.  He had reported he was tracking a couple of suspects, I think two were black and one was white?  All the neqa told you was how great a cop and family nan he was.  It took an independent investigation to uncover the this was an orchestrated suicide as a result of an internal investigation of him stealing funds from a police youth group. Point us the media sensationalized things for ratings and can't be trusted. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if you remember,  but SB Columbus merged into SB Lake Shore Drive.   As a frequent rider of the 6 and thev14, the bus drivers tried to get across from the right lane to the left lanes as quickly as possible because the right lanes would be backed up with cars trying to exit at the Stevenson ramp.  The middle lane usually had traffic that would merged to thr right exit lanes at the last minute.   The left lanes were free flowing.  There were no traffic signals on SB LSD like there were on NB LSD. 

IMAGINE a fully loaded artic changing lanes and building speed.  I believe the far left lane had traffic turning into Soldier Field parking lot.   Umagune this one car realizing he's in the wrong lane and decides to stop to try to get in that left lane, not realizing that LSD is more like an expressway than a wide suburban road.  With 6 other passengers in the car, he can't see in his rear view mirror a big bus is behind him.  Sad 

But I certainly remember Channel 1 sent out reporters to clock speeds if the bus drivers. 

Remember a few years ago when an officer in the north burns was found dead.  He had reported he was tracking a couple of suspects, I think two were black and one was white?  All the neqa told you was how great a cop and family nan he was.  It took an independent investigation to uncover the this was an orchestrated suicide as a result of an internal investigation of him stealing funds from a police youth group. Point us the media sensationalized things for ratings and can't be trusted. 

In alot of ways, the traffic still has the same problems. Now the nb has a lane that ends on the right. Everyone tries to go around the slow bus. Its aggravating, I find myself changing lanes there. The narrative you point out sounds accurate, add in that the kids are probably all talking, so they are distracted. They are essentially new drivers and dont have the experience the road will teach them. 

The media will sensationalize, thats how they get viewers. They will always make a big deal out of something. Its just like with Rittenhouse. How is that a racial crime. Its white on white crime. They stir the pot in alot of ways and make things worse than they are. I have friends that dont watch the news. Im just glad they seem to be stopping talking about covid. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, busfan2847 said:

The 7300 were one year older that the 7100s and between 17-19 years old when they moved to cta in 1999-2001. They were not built with, or ever had, air conditioning and were longer than the cta ones (MAN SG310-18-2 rather than 7100 SG310-16.5-2A).

The 7000s were withdrawn before 1994. 7219 was withdrawn in 1985 (2 years old - fire?), the rest of the 7200 between 1995 & 2002 except 7167 withdrawn 2003 and 7143 withdrawn 2004. The 7300 were withdrawn 2003/2004 as the NABI 60-LFW were delivered.

What was the difference between the 7000's and 7100's? 

On 12/17/2021 at 7:01 AM, Sam92 said:

7100 were all done here in the states. 7000s we’re made overseas but finished over here and were test buses from what the site says. Picture wise they look the same

The 7000s were a result of the 1972 Urban Mass Transportation Administration Superbus project, which examined the use of articulated buses in transit service. MAN and Volvo each sent an articulated bus demonstrator to the United States for evaluation. (The MAN one was used by cta for a period of time between 1974-6). AM General got the contract in 1976 for 398 articulated buses that were delivered to 12 cities in 1978/9. AM General, the only manufacturer to submit a bid, had partnered with MAN to produce the buses. The SG220 were built in West Germany and assembled in the United States.

When the partnership with AM General ended, MAN formed their United States division MAN Truck and Bus Corporation in 1980. They opened their own manufacturing facility in Cleveland, North Carolina and began producing the SG310 (7100 & 7300).