6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

6402(removed and reinstated as a Workbus 12/22/13)

6404(removed and reinstated as a Workbus 12/22/13)

6420(removed from service 6/1/13)

6450(removed from service 12/22/13)

6531(removed from service 11/2012)

6568(removed from service 2009)

6610(removed from service 7/20/09)

6726(removed from service 2008)

6738(removed from service 2008)

6832(removed from service 11/6/06)

10 Novas retired total before the 7900's started to arrive.

You forgot #6522 and #6647.

You forgot #6522 and #6647.

I didn't really(I did err on the omission of 6522, but I corrected that)... I was answering the question how many Novas were retired prior to the 7900's arrival, and 6647(out of service 6/8/14) went out after at least 7900 arrived.

7900 arrived 2/3/14.

6402(removed and reinstated as a Workbus 12/22/13)

6404(removed and reinstated as a Workbus 12/22/13)

6420(removed from service 6/1/13)

6450(removed from service 12/22/13)

6522(removed from service 5/2013)

6531(removed from service 11/2012)

6568(removed from service 2009)

6610(removed from service 7/20/09)

6726(removed from service 2008)

6738(removed from service 2008)

6832(removed from service 11/6/06)

11 Novas retired total before the 7900's started to arrive.

Additional removals to 11/6/14:

6463 from C

6540 from C

6469 from F

6596 from F

6741 from F

6409 from 6

6418 from 6

6607 from 6

6612 from 6

6631 from 6

6647 from 6

total 11

• Upvote 3

Additional removals to 11/6/14:

6463 from C

6540 from C

6469 from F

6596 from F

6741 from F

6409 from 6

6418 from 6

6607 from 6

6612 from 6

6631 from 6

6647 from 6

total 11

So they did retire an amber nova!! Interesting!! I know #6732 one time was blowing oil into the passenger compartment or it was a really crappy maintenance (probably the first) The floor in front of the rear bench seat was all oily like it was blowing through that silver access panel that's back there. It's a wonder someone didn't get oil on their clothes. I haven't really seen too much of that bus lately. #6503 has kind of a groan to the trans and the seats were never fixed. It's like the only one in the first batch of 77th Novas to Fg that's like that. I was thinking maybe that would be considered to go. Then there's #6665 that has trans groaning sounds but has good power to it still.

Interesting also only 11 buses are gone when they have received around 70 #7900's plus the 2 #700's.

So they did retire an amber nova!! Interesting!! I know #6732 one time was blowing oil into the passenger compartment or it was a really crappy maintenance (probably the first) The floor in front of the rear bench seat was all oily like it was blowing through that silver access panel that's back there. It's a wonder someone didn't get oil on their clothes. I haven't really seen too much of that bus lately. #6503 has kind of a groan to the trans and the seats were never fixed. It's like the only one in the first batch of 77th Novas to Fg that's like that. I was thinking maybe that would be considered to go. Then there's #6665 that has trans groaning sounds but has good power to it still.

Interesting also only 11 buses are gone when they have received around 70 #7900's plus the 2 #700's.

It's better than nothing mate!

#6409 #6414 #6416 #6418 #6463 #6469 #6527 #6596 #6607 #6612 #6616 #6631 #6741 along with 2 more from 74th and 2 more from Chicago are confirmed retired. There is one more that I can't determine because I couldn't see the Garage code sticker in the windshiled. They do have signs in some windshileds stating "Do not use. Bus on hold. #30 (one one of them) scrap!"

So will this retirement process go the same as usual with the slowest and high maintenance buses going first or just pick and choose which buses will go?

You would have to ask maintenance that because I really don't know. I don't call the shots about anything nor determine that because I don't work for them.

So will this retirement process go the same as usual with the slowest and high maintenance buses going first or just pick and choose which buses will go?

Whatever needs the most money to make it operable will be retired first. For example, if a bus needs a rebuilt/new transmission, it becomes a scrap bus as opposed to just needing a radiator or a fuel return line.

#6409 #6414 #6416 #6418 #6463 #6469 #6527 #6596 #6607 #6612 #6616 #6631 #6741 along with 2 more from 74th and 2 more from Chicago are confirmed retired. There is one more that I can't determine because I couldn't see the Garage code sticker in the windshiled. They do have signs in some windshileds stating "Do not use. Bus on hold. #30 (one one of them) scrap!"

I wonder if the flip dot nova signs are interchangeable with the amber signs. I don't know what it is but I have a hard time seeing the destination signs on these flip dot buses and my vision is 20/20. Kind of crappy, I never got to see #6409's goofy seats, they almost look the same as what's in the #700's. I don't know what to say about the additional buses. Are they new to South Shops? Does #6414, 16, #6527 have do not use signs specifically or just the others cause the roster tends to say different. I don't know if those could be in for repair, but maybe not if they are with the others.

I wonder if the flip dot nova signs are interchangeable with the amber signs. I don't know what it is but I have a hard time seeing the destination signs on these flip dot buses and my vision is 20/20. Kind of crappy, I never got to see #6409's goofy seats, they almost look the same as what's in the #700's. I don't know what to say about the additional buses. Are they new to South Shops? Does #6414, 16, #6527 have do not use signs specifically or just the others cause the roster tends to say different. I don't know if those could be in for repair, but maybe not if they are with the others.

Well all of them are in the back along with the retired ones and the Flxibles. Most of them have the signs for scrapping and most bike racks and Ventra readers have been removed. The ones that I couldn't get the numbers are behind the retired ones but I saw the garage code stickers on the right side of the windshields. I guess they didn't want to scrap the ones that were retired earlier until more arrives. About the amber destinations being interchangeable, I'm guessing that it has to be some specific wirings to adjust or installed for it to be compatible for any Nova #6708 and lower.

They changed the Luminator ones on the 6000s, but at that time they projected maybe 4 more years use of the buses.

I suppose that the TwinVision ones could also be swapped (since nobody makes flip dot ones currently), but unlike the old Luminator flip dot signs, those have an LED behind each flip dot so they should be easier to see, and besides those buses only have about a year left.

CTA could go back to the MAN solution of paper signs in the windshield, although with all the interlining lately, that's not going to work so well, either.

They changed the Luminator ones on the 6000s, but at that time they projected maybe 4 more years use of the buses.

I suppose that the TwinVision ones could also be swapped (since nobody makes flip dot ones currently), but unlike the old Luminator flip dot signs, those have an LED behind each flip dot so they should be easier to see, and besides those buses only have about a year left.

CTA could go back to the MAN solution of paper signs in the windshield, although with all the interlining lately, that's not going to work so well, either.

Well if #6428 at Chicago is any indication they can actually run both type signs at the same time. I believe that one has a front amber destination and side flip dot signs. They still have this goofy font on #6445 or #6428 for that matter. I wonder could those be different signs because the programming is unaffected on the other amber buses. If they intend to keep a few #6400's around past the 450 #7900's, I hate to see any of those be flip dot signs. I think my problem in not seeing the signs lies in the fact that the signs don't seem to be backlit or CTA just doesn't want to repair that aspect of the sign. I notice some of the same problems with backlit signs on the railcars with roll signs. Alot of those seem to be dark too.

Well if #6428 at Chicago is any indication they can actually run both type signs at the same time. I believe that one has a front amber destination and side flip dot signs. They still have this goofy font on #6445 or #6428 for that matter. I wonder could those be different signs because the programming is unaffected on the other amber buses. If they intend to keep a few #6400's around past the 450 #7900's, I hate to see any of those be flip dot signs. I think my problem in not seeing the signs lies in the fact that the signs don't seem to be backlit or CTA just doesn't want to repair that aspect of the sign. I notice some of the same problems with backlit signs on the railcars with roll signs. Alot of those seem to be dark too.

The 6000s ran both kinds of signs at once, as only the front ones were changed.

It was noted at the time that there were several experimental types of signs on 6400s.

Flip dot signs were never back lit. The florescent tube on most of them was in front. As I said before, the Twinvisions did not use florescent tubes, but LEDs in each flip dot (hence they were called LEDot). This was noticeable in that the LEDs from the run box reflected off the windshield.

It was noted at the time that there were several experimental types of signs on 6400s.

Flip dot signs were never back lit. The florescent tube on most of them was in front. As I said before, the Twinvisions did not use florescent tubes, but LEDs in each flip dot (hence they were called LEDot). This was noticeable in that the LEDs from the run box reflected off the windshield.

Hmm, I swear I have pictures of backlit signs (by florescent tube) now you have me curious. So if the signs are LEDot then they must be failing because they can't be seen at night unless the bus is within 50 feet. I have a picture on another pc that's a night shot of how the sign is supposed to look I'll see if I can upload that later. I don't know if I have a picture of the current status but I could take a picture of it.

They would have to do a 5800-Series style rehab like you seen on some of the later 5800's got(both front and side Flip-Dot Displays replaced with LED Displays), but that would be a lot of $$ shelled out for just a year to a year and a half tops left of service. A lot of the LED's on the Amber Novas are getting tired no doubt as I've seen some functioning, but still having paper signs. They would probably need to order new kits and tear out the existing destinations and put in the LED's.

Doable, yes.... but too much $$ and work given their age and active status.

The interlining issue doesn't seem to deter Kedzie from using the paper sign solution if a bus has a malfunctioning destination sign as evidenced on the 134 and 156. Several PM rush runs on both those routes are interlined with something else. I remember seeing a 134 pull up at the Franklin/Jackson stop with a paper sign and noticed that the operator had a paper sign for the 125 taped on the other side of the 134 sign as well as a paper sign for 156 hanging behind his seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Many 6400's have failed signs. Sometimes whole sign is dark, sometimes part of display is "frozen" while rest changes, and even more curious are the ones that have mismatched front and side readings, for different routes, yet both are cycling! Every day buses go out from FG with window cards, sometimes even in addition to working signs.