6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

10 hours ago, sht6131 said:

Your last sentence could not be more true. In addition to that I think we are going to see flux of downtown office space for sale or converted to apts.

Possibly. I was watching a documentary about the evolution of technology and artificial intelligence  they said something that struck a chord with me. They said the more technology evolves the less we do as humans. The computers are slowly taking over and we are doing less whether it's working on an auto assembly line, grocery shopping online, order an uber on an app that picks you up and drops you at your destination, robotics assisting in surgeries. Pretty soon us humans wont have anything to do. The scary part is when A. I. takes over. It's a real life rise of the machines. And guess what they cant catch Covid-19 either!!!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Im sure the mayor will address this at a later time. If and when things die down. Like most of us, she sure isnt a fan of big waste. IMO, the meter maids should go away. Theyre so corrupt. 

Yea fuck them meter maids 1 gave me a now I got a ticket or being parked at a fire hydrant which I didn't trip about that but I cussed her out for not writing jumpout Boyz a ticket for being parked at the fire hydrant which it wasn't a emergency they was on lunch 

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea fuck them meter maids 1 gave me a now I got a ticket or being parked at a fire hydrant which I didn't trip about that but I cussed her out for not writing jumpout Boyz a ticket for being parked at the fire hydrant which it wasn't a emergency they was on lunch 

Again with the language.... 

4 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yeah things have gotten so bad on chicago streets I dont want to park on them. I look for parking lots and risk the tow. For the most part though I do most of my business in the suburbs. Paid 1.36 for gas today. (Whoa I was just looking at the gas prices Kenosha, wisconsin's gas is .99 cents at most stations at least 5 including the Sam's club!!)

57 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah things have gotten so bad on chicago streets I dont want to park on them. I look for parking lots and risk the tow. For the most part though I do most of my business in the suburbs. Paid 1.36 for gas today. (Whoa I was just looking at the gas prices Kenosha, wisconsin's gas is .99 cents at most stations at least 5 including the Sam's club!!)

1 of the guys that's subbed to my YouTube channel said he paid 69cent for gas in Milwaukee & yea I hate them also hard to find free parking this 1 of the reasons I miss my Crown Vic I use to park wherever I wanted too & it wouldn't be a problem can't do that in the sonata 

• 5 months later...

The light setups in these old Novas are funny ?.I rode 6803 today, the headlights in the front were off but all the interior lights were on, even the front ones. On OMSI 2 I learned that when the headlights are off but the interior lights on, only the first bank of lights on each side are off but the rest are on. In July, I rode 6784 and all the interior lights were off but the headlights were on. Also what I noticed is that the rear light placement is interesting too. On 6784, both rear red lights are like 2 inches away from the end of each other. But on 6776, they are like 5 inches apart, which is real interesting. This is the most interesting fleet in the CTA and I wonder what other buses have silly and interesting sightings.

42 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The light setups in these old Novas are funny ?.I rode 6803 today, the headlights in the front were off but all the interior lights were on, even the front ones. On OMSI 2 I learned that when the headlights are off but the interior lights on, only the first bank of lights on each side are off but the rest are on. In July, I rode 6784 and all the interior lights were off but the headlights were on. Also what I noticed is that the rear light placement is interesting too. On 6784, both rear red lights are like 2 inches away from the end of each other. But on 6776, they are like 5 inches apart, which is real interesting. This is the most interesting fleet in the CTA and I wonder what other buses have silly and interesting sightings.

That is intresting. Next time I see a old nova I'll look

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I have never driven a Nova, so I can't say what the set up is for sure.  I don't know if there buses came with daytime running lamps standard.  My guess is that the New Flyers are. In the old buses,  the outer lights were operated from the run control.  One turn notch was the engine running and the next notch activated the headlights,  rails and the markers.   I think the run position also operaed the markers only.  The interior lights operated on a different switch altogether, usually marked dome 

As far as the positions if the lights outside. That may have to do with repairs where sections of a bus are replaced with parts from another bus.  The panels may come from another Niva, or could come from a New Flyer and customized to fit. I've seen side panels on buses where the striping was slightly off compared with the rest of the bus 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I have never driven a Nova, so I can't say what the set up is for sure.  I don't know if there buses came with daytime running lamps standard.  My guess is that the New Flyers are. In the old buses,  the outer lights were operated from the run control.  One turn notch was the engine running and the next notch activated the headlights,  rails and the markers.   I think the run position also operaed the markers only.  The interior lights operated on a different switch altogether, usually marked dome 

As far as the positions if the lights outside. That may have to do with repairs where sections of a bus are replaced with parts from another bus.  The panels may come from another Niva, or could come from a New Flyer and customized to fit. I've seen side panels on buses where the striping was slightly off compared with the rest of the bus 

What's really mind blowing is the running of buses with flip dot signs still. The green ones. Saw one today on addison you couldnt even read the destination. Then the supervisor was over checking on #6678. #6784 was there too at the hip turnaround. Why would fg even run those on the weekends? The buses have got a gazillion miles. By me we havent even run the old buses since March. The maintenance is good too. Only have needed the mechanics for a flat tire. Work smart not hard!!

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

What's really mind blowing is the running of buses with flip dot signs still. The green ones. Saw one today on addison you couldnt even read the destination. Then the supervisor was over checking on #6678. #6784 was there too at the hip turnaround. Why would fg even run those on the weekends? The buses have got a gazillion miles. By me we havent even run the old buses since March. The maintenance is good too. Only have needed the mechanics for a flat tire. Work smart not hard!!

Use em till they blow thats what cta doing 

On 8/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, CTA5750 said:

I dont know why it irks me everytime I see it. But this morning while waiting for a Pulse bus!,Yeah! A Pulse bus! YUKKKK! :)   I see 6730, I cant stand looking at where the side number is placed almost to the rear  It just looks like it dosent belong there!  LOL!  

6730's not the only one anymore?

IMG_4370.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I got #6826 and #6835. 6826 makes some loud hissing sound when we are accelerating and this hissing sound is real loud it blocks the engine a little bit. The number inside the bus is placed a bit lower than usual on the right side (where many 66 and 67's have/had) rather than right above the mirror. This bus is actually faster than 6835. 6835 was a slow bus and sounded strange when braking. The bus operator didn't get to 4th gear at all while he did a lot in 6826. This was the same bus operator by the way too lol on the 90 harlem. I haven't seen a nova with a broken non-functional interior display since 2019 in 6710 lol. 6835's number is placed normally above the mirror where many other 68 buses have it placed.

unknown[1].png