6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

4 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

This is actually a pretty cool idea for CTA!. I wonder why they wouldnt take advantage of such an idea. A money saver in the long run! 

That idea's been on my mind ever since the 1st time I've heard of CCW. & I totally agree. CTA should look at this option. It would save them a real good chunk.

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Just got back from running Flx 6163 this morning. Took this shot of 6488 parked in the training yard at C. Also, anyone know about the Proterra inside C.?  I couldn’t get a pic of it. It’s a plain white unit.  Judging from the amount of dust collected on it. It’s been sitting there a while 

5F1CC15D-D2DD-450D-AD9A-DD10D9D46D89.jpeg

That is the mechanical trainer. I don't believe it's the prototype, but the buses are so expensive it may very well be so. It's been around for over a year.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That is the mechanical trainer. I don't believe it's the prototype, but the buses are so expensive it may very well be so. It's been around for over a year.

Yea I think it's down going on with that 1 it's just been there too long & yea 6488 still looks good last time I was in C 1 of em of running & moved to the shop area

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah fg just cant seem to get rid of #6820 and #6869. They still have them. Been seeing a few old fg buses back where they started #8220 was out the other day and #8218 I saw today. #8090 has been around and I think #8089. I wonder why 74th has buses up here. The good ones too. You would think chicago could loan some more buses they aren't that far from fg and they have the most 7900s. They got quite a few artics for the #20. So thinking maybe they could now spare something. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah fg just cant seem to get rid of #6820 and #6869. They still have them. Been seeing a few old fg buses back where they started #8220 was out the other day and #8218 I saw today. #8090 has been around and I think #8089. I wonder why 74th has buses up here. The good ones too. You would think chicago could loan some more buses they aren't that far from fg and they have the most 7900s. They got quite a few artics for the #20. So thinking maybe they could now spare something. 

Nice seeing a few of the 82's back at FG where they started

49 minutes ago, John7 said:

Worst part is, the new electric buses cta just got has all plastic seats.

Though you lose comfort with plastic seats,  you can at least SEE what's on the seat before you sit in it.  The padded seats were another story.  A warm butt in a seat can resurrect smells from whatever the cloth has absorbed.   

CTA once experimented with a standing room only train car on the Brown Line,  but was scuttled due to weight limit concerns affecting the structural integrity of those cars.  Maybe its time for CTA to develop buses and train cars with accessible seats and standing room only.  Only drawback is that it would be easier for pervs to tub people the wrong way. 

Some cities have the one seat per row (typically on the door side) layout between the front and rear doors. It would be nice if CTA went that route.

Some of the buses have the longitudinal seating in the front, but it can be awkward to sit in the open seats surrounded by others.