6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Though you lose comfort with plastic seats,  you can at least SEE what's on the seat before you sit in it.  The padded seats were another story.  A warm butt in a seat can resurrect smells from whatever the cloth has absorbed.   

CTA once experimented with a standing room only train car on the Brown Line,  but was scuttled due to weight limit concerns affecting the structural integrity of those cars.  Maybe its time for CTA to develop buses and train cars with accessible seats and standing room only.  Only drawback is that it would be easier for pervs to tub people the wrong way. 

It's not the fact they're plastic.  It's the design of the seats plus the plastic.  On the "L" they're actually still comfortable for me fabric or plastic 

40 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

I can still remember breaking the 6800s in at FG back in 2001!  Whether you love them or hate them, the Nova LFS unarguably lasted the test of time!  Twenty years of hard service!. I think this is testament to the quality of the NovaBus brand. I can only imagine the quality of the new models. They will be around for a long time!  While Im not a big fan of the low floor design, I still wish the high floor models would come back. But I do like the design of the new Novas, particularly the 8325s with no rear window  When the first Novas arrived I thought they were going to be a joke! Going up against long time builders Flxible TMC and Flyer. Im sure Nova is giving the current bus builders a run for their money!  The New Flyer Low Floor design hasant really changed much since they came out way back in the late 1980s  In fact I still have copies of "Bus World" magazine!!!! LOL!  The Low Floor designs began appearing in their issues back then. Originally I thought they would only be used for airport service. 

Yea I remember when they first came out me & my pops was waiting on the Cicero bus at Madison & we was early so we had time to kill & my pops was like naw we will wait for the next bus & the bus driver was like come on let your son ride the new bus & we did & it was 6621 I remember it real good 

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

I can still remember breaking the 6800s in at FG back in 2001!  Whether you love them or hate them, the Nova LFS unarguably lasted the test of time!  Twenty years of hard service!. I think this is testament to the quality of the NovaBus brand. I can only imagine the quality of the new models. They will be around for a long time!  While Im not a big fan of the low floor design, I still wish the high floor models would come back. But I do like the design of the new Novas, particularly the 8325s with no rear window  When the first Novas arrived I thought they were going to be a joke! Going up against long time builders Flxible TMC and Flyer. Im sure Nova is giving the current bus builders a run for their money!  The New Flyer Low Floor design hasant really changed much since they came out way back in the late 1980s  In fact I still have copies of "Bus World" magazine!!!! LOL!  The Low Floor designs began appearing in their issues back then. Originally I thought they would only be used for airport service. 

I remember driving my first low floor bus.  It was a 1993 New Flyer.  They had a very fast take off.  Since I (and everyone else) was accustomed to high floor buses, I had to pay close attention to curbs.  With the high floors, you could take the bumper over a curb to curb the bus.  Doing so with the low floor could cause damage underneath the bus, even damaging the accessible ramp.

I remember riding the Novas for the first time.  Even though I lived on the South side and the Novas debuted at 77th, my first ride was actually on the 65 Grand from Navy Pier to the Red Line.  Thought it was a funny looking bus, from the front even thought the rear layout was weird.  The 2001 Orions that Pace had didn't change my mind.  Surprisingly they have lasted almost 20 years.  Yet there are a few 2003 Pace NABIs trying to keep up but I'm sure Pace won't keep those past this year.

2 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

My first LF buses I drove were the 5800 series NFs from North Park  I was at that garage only six months. Being on the extra board. I worked every inch of that place from its downtown and Evanston routes, training on the MAN artics and the vaults. 

How did you like the 5800s?

6 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

I recall my first time driving the Nova before we got them at FG. They gave me a borrowed #6758 on the 54A  I thought it was alright.  But I remember saying to myself that I preferred my #6000 series Flxible Metros  LOL! 

Lol yea I was happy to get one it cuz 5527 was right behind it 

56 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

How did you like the 5800s?

They were a bit weird getting used to!  But It wears off with time   Had to keep driving them  I didnt really like them. Especially when driving a long route like 22 Clark.  

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

No, I left CTA in 2005 to join the fire dept. I only worked at NP for six months back in 1999. I left NP on the system pick at the end of 99 to FG where I stayed until my final day in Feb, 2005 working 54A N. Cicero 

Aw ok cool bro I'm here until CPD  let me know when I can enter the academy

So I've compiled a list together of what is currently at South Shops and what has been moved in regards to the #6400s. I'll try to update the list again in thecoming days as a majority of these buses have been sitting in the shops or along the south fence for quite some time now. Some were slated to be overhauled and become instruction buses while others have unknown fates at this point.

Note -

This list doesn't include any retired #6400s currently sitting in the boneyard awaiting to be scrapped.

6470 Instruction bus

6472 Community bus
6474 Instruction bus
6477 Instruction bus
6488 Instruction bus Currently at Chicago Ave
6671 OOS
6553 OOS
6558 OOS
6562 OOS

6564 OOS
6579 OOS
6586 OOS
6705 OOS
6758 OOS
6692 OOS
6694 OOS
WB1 6585
WB2 6696
6697 OOS
6699 OOS
6737 OOS

6771 OOS
6802 OOS

6810 OOS
6824 OOS
6836 OOS 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

So I've compiled a list together of what is currently at South Shops and what has been moved in regards to the #6400s. I'll try to update the list again in thecoming days as a majority of these buses have been sitting in the shops or along the south fence for quite some time now. Some were slated to be overhauled and become instruction buses while others have unknown fates at this point.

Note -

This list doesn't include any retired #6400s currently sitting in the boneyard awaiting to be scrapped.

6470 Instruction bus

6472 Community bus
6474 Instruction bus
6477 Instruction bus
6671 OOS
6553 OOS
6558 OOS
6562 OOS

6564 OOS
6579 OOS
6586 OOS
6705 OOS
6758 OOS
6692 OOS
6694 OOS
WB1 6585
WB2 6696
6697 OOS
6699 OOS
6737 OOS

6771 OOS
6802 OOS

6810 OOS
6824 OOS
6836 OOS 

I seen em in the boneyard at the gate near 77th side & a few at the gate or on the side where 4119 use to sit

On 4/18/2020 at 8:08 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Note -

6470 Instruction bus

6472 Community bus
6474 Instruction bus
6477 Instruction bus
6671 OOS
6553 OOS
6558 OOS
6562 OOS

6564 OOS
6579 OOS
6586 OOS
6705 OOS
6758 OOS
6692 OOS
6694 OOS
WB1 6585
WB2 6696
6697 OOS
6699 OOS
6737 OOS

6771 OOS
6802 OOS

6810 OOS
6824 OOS
6836 OOS 

FG still has some in the yard. I was under the impression they were all being withdrawn from service earlier than planned 

22 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

FG still has some in the yard. I was under the impression they were all being withdrawn from service earlier than planned 

Naw they was only taken out of service cuz they don't have no type of shield they gone be back in service when this bad case of the flu over with 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yep the only reason some active ones went to 77th is because to make storage for the bunch of flyers FG got from all garages 

3 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Well some active ones were sent back while others are scattered across south shops getting work done. 

What would happen to all the garages if the 6400s never went back in service when bus service across the board goes back to normal and no new buses are ordered? What would all the garages be forced to do? CTAs been through the situation with Nabi, I think CTA can handle being short like 70 buses and be able to move bus routes around if they have to. There are a surplus of artics, possibly make some NP routes 100 percent artics at all times and that’s about 30 1000s NP can give up. NP has enough artics to make the 22, 135, 136, 146, 147, 148, 151 all artics with no 40 footers at all. Possibly run some artics on the 50 at all times too.

2 hours ago, Javi78 said:

What would happen to all the garages if the 6400s never went back in service when bus service across the board goes back to normal and no new buses are ordered? What would all the garages be forced to do? CTAs been through the situation with Nabi, I think CTA can handle being short like 70 buses and be able to move bus routes around if they have to. There are a surplus of artics, possibly make some NP routes 100 percent artics at all times and that’s about 30 1000s NP can give up. NP has enough artics to make the 22, 135, 136, 146, 147, 148, 151 all artics with no 40 footers at all. Possibly run some artics on the 50 at all times too.

Not sure they have enough to do all those if the 134, 136 and/or 148 are active as well, but overall I think it was pointed out that if the 6400s didn't go back into service, at most what would happen is some garages would need to send FG a couple buses and there might be more rotating of buses. FG was the only garage that used the 6400s anyway and not even all of them. I'm happy to be wrong.

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Not sure they have enough to do all those if the 134, 136 and/or 148 are active as well, but overall I think it was pointed out that if the 6400s didn't go back into service, at most what would happen is some garages would need to send FG a couple buses and there might be more rotating of buses. FG was the only garage that used the 6400s anyway and not even all of them. I'm happy to be wrong.

If you've noticed how all businesses are using shields, if they don't get shields on the buses they are probably done. I don't expect them back. We should be getting the electrics soon. That will retire a few. There's no need for them now until school goes back, and we don't know when that will be. They could probably do a pick where they could change a few routes around and they would be ok. Can't help but wonder if all the running of the buses will end up with a budget shortfall. Realistically, we might be hearing about service cuts for budget year 2021 and if that happens they may lose not only the #6400's but a few #1000's as well. Still alot hasn't happened yet to there finances, the sales tax revenue they rely on is a few months behind. It's definitely going to be an interesting future. Like 911, some things may change permanently. More jobs will probably work from home. The internet could make mass gatherings like schools a thing of the past. Alot will depend on what happens in the fall, but you can't deny the infrastructure is slowly getting in place to do just that.

9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

If you've noticed how all businesses are using shields, if they don't get shields on the buses they are probably done. I don't expect them back. We should be getting the electrics soon. That will retire a few. There's no need for them now until school goes back, and we don't know when that will be. They could probably do a pick where they could change a few routes around and they would be ok. Can't help but wonder if all the running of the buses will end up with a budget shortfall. Realistically, we might be hearing about service cuts for budget year 2021 and if that happens they may lose not only the #6400's but a few #1000's as well. Still alot hasn't happened yet to there finances, the sales tax revenue they rely on is a few months behind. It's definitely going to be an interesting future. Like 911, some things may change permanently. More jobs will probably work from home. The internet could make mass gatherings like schools a thing of the past. Alot will depend on what happens in the fall, but you can't deny the infrastructure is slowly getting in place to do just that.

I think CTA had to borrow to keep running.  NYMTA got an infusion of federal aid and they are asking for $4 billion more.  I also believe they had to borrow money. CTA is only collecting fares from rail passengers at this point.  That's a serious blow during a time when ridership has nosedived during this time

NYMTA has lost 90% of its ridership in a city heavily dependent on transit.  NYMTA also has a high number of employees with COVID-19. 

The way things are going, America is in for a transportation collapse.  Not only is public transportation at risk, air travel is also at risk.

42 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Your last sentence could not be more true. In addition to that I think we are going to see flux of downtown office space for sale or converted to apts.

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think CTA had to borrow to keep running.  NYMTA got an infusion of federal aid and they are asking for $4 billion more.  I also believe they had to borrow money. CTA is only collecting fares from rail passengers at this point.  That's a serious blow during a time when ridership has nosedived during this time

NYMTA has lost 90% of its ridership in a city heavily dependent on transit.  NYMTA also has a high number of employees with COVID-19. 

The way things are going, America is in for a transportation collapse.  Not only is public transportation at risk, air travel is also at risk.

Cta has borrowed 40 million for operating. It loses 4 million a day on operations in it's current state. 40 mill is the max they can borrow. It's up to the feds to save them but Pritzker is getting ppe from China himself if that's any indication of a federal response. Theres too many hungry mouths at the dinner table and you can only feed so many. The longer this goes on the more likely we will see a collapse. 

Had an interesting conversation in my uber car with a city of chicago meter maid/ticket writer. He said they are only working one day a week and getting paid for 5. Man the city of Chicago sure knows how to waste money. Guess they are not worried they can always raise taxes.