More Bus Moves

sw4400

Also if you can make out the grab handles on the #6000's inside the front door those are yellow versus black on the #5300's. That was one of the things that was new starting with those buses.

You are indeed right about that but I wouldn't be able to see that because it's too far to see from the back yard fence on 77th. All I can see that were close was a lot of Optimas and both 900 and 906.

#4128 on #92. I don't see why this route isn't a candidate for North Park full-time.

I would guess, like Addison, a school run.

The North Park quandry is the usual one that the line that passes the garage doesn't use that garage, but that's no different than the old days with route 4 past the old CMC/CTA garage at 52nd at Cottage or 24 when it went to the old Beverly garage, for that matter, 29 now being from 103. It appears that FG got and mostly had most of the E-W traffic, while NP got the downtown traffic.

I would guess, like Addison, a school run.

The North Park quandry is the usual one that the line that passes the garage doesn't use that garage, but that's no different than the old days with route 4 past the old CMC/CTA garage at 52nd at Cottage or 24 when it went to the old Beverly garage, for that matter, 29 now being from 103. It appears that FG got and mostly had most of the E-W traffic, while NP got the downtown traffic.

That can be reasonable but I only spotted one on the bus tracker. Interesting info indeed. It's strange how #8 dealt with three different garages in which that's very unusual.

That can be reasonable but I only spotted one on the bus tracker. Interesting info indeed. It's strange how #8 dealt with three different garages in which that's very unusual.

Not to mention that originally it and 9 were split between Limits (Clark-Schubert) and 77 (8) and 69 (9). Kedzie didn't really enter into the picture until Limits closed, and it seemed strange that K inherited a lot of Limits routes.

Not to mention that originally it and 9 were split between Limits (Clark-Schubert) and 77 (8) and 69 (9). Kedzie didn't really enter into the picture until Limits closed, and it seemed strange that K inherited a lot of Limits routes.

I think because Kedzie was one of the most flexible garages without that much of conflict with certain routes.

To clarify further, yes Kedzie entered the picture when Limits closed, but Kedzie didn't operate the 8 until March 23, 2008 during that year's spring pick and 14 years AFTER Limits closed and passed a lot of routes on to Kedzie. Before that, the 8 was operated by 74th Garage, 69th's successor. In the 2008 garage reassignments, the premise was to even out the work among the garages. 8 went to Kedzie presumably to help 74th. Kedzie also picked up 143, 145 and 148 to ease the load on North Park. This is also the point we saw the start of the 6, 29, 71, and 95W transitioning from 77th to 103rd. The latter three would be shared between the two at various stages up until how they are presently assigned. Back to the 8 though, it was completely operated by Kedzie from March 2008 until February 2010 at the time of the cuts that retired the 6000s and closed Archer Garage. At that point and because of the need of the other garages to pick up Archer's routes and buses, 74th would get some runs back and thus shared operations of the 8 with Kedzie up until December 16, 2012. That was when we saw the start of more cuts under Claypool's De-Crowd initiatives, in which supposedly lower ridership routes and route segments would be cut to beef up service on busier routes, Garmon you can go back to the Service Changes of December 16, 2012 thread to pick up why a lot of us thought the routes picked for complete or partial elimination were ill chosen and pretty much became an exercise on which locally elected officials in the city council has more clout and a similar one among local congressmen. At any rate, it was at this point that the 8 went back to 77th and this time around not shared with another garage. And even with the recent pick up of NFs in small transfers at 77th, the route is still heavily operated with some of the system's oldest and in some cases most beat up Novas.

To clarify further, yes Kedzie entered the picture when Limits closed, but Kedzie didn't operate the 8 until March 23, 2008 during that year's spring pick and 14 years AFTER Limits closed and passed a lot of routes on to Kedzie. Before that, the 8 was operated by 74th Garage, 69th's successor. In the 2008 garage reassignments, the premise was to even out the work among the garages. 8 went to Kedzie presumably to help 74th. Kedzie also picked up 143, 145 and 148 to ease the load on North Park. This is also the point we saw the start of the 6, 29, 71, and 95W transitioning from 77th to 103rd. The latter three would be shared between the two at various stages up until how they are presently assigned. Back to the 8 though, it was completely operated by Kedzie from March 2008 until February 2010 at the time of the cuts that retired the 6000s and closed Archer Garage. At that point and because of the need of the other garages to pick up Archer's routes and buses, 74th would get some runs back and thus shared operations of the 8 with Kedzie up until December 16, 2012. That was when we saw the start of more cuts under Claypool's De-Crowd initiatives, in which supposedly lower ridership routes and route segments would be cut to beef up service on busier routes, Garmon you can go back to the Service Changes of December 16, 2012 thread to pick up why a lot of us thought the routes picked for complete or partial elimination were ill chosen and pretty much became an exercise on which locally elected officials in the city council has more clout and a similar one among local congressmen. At any rate, it was at this point that the 8 went back to 77th and this time around not shared with another garage. And even with the recent pick up of NFs in small transfers at 77th, the route is still heavily operated with some of the system's oldest and in some cases most beat up Novas.

Well this is interesting to take notes of but all I'm saying is that #8 should've stayed with 74th.

Well this is interesting to take notes of but all I'm saying is that #8 should've stayed with 74th.

Originally, the south end was assigned to 77th, which is about 2 blocks from the Halsted-79 terminal. jajuan has the history, but apparently 77 got it back when 74th got a lot of the far southwest side routes from Archer, and K has to cover some of Archer's northern territory.

I don't why they still have it in the yard if all the parts are tgiveaways to something else.

I think CTA should watch one of the hoarders shows and scrap anything like that that certainly doesn't have any value.Those should have been gone about 5 years ago.

Originally, the south end was assigned to 77th, which is about 2 blocks from the Halsted-79 terminal. jajuan has the history, but apparently 77 got it back when 74th got a lot of the far southwest side routes from Archer, and K has to cover some of Archer's northern territory.

I think CTA should watch one of the hoarders shows and scrap anything like that that certainly doesn't have any value.Those should have been gone about 5 years ago.

Well, you just clarify that very well. Thanks. That's crazy though; they can strip that 5800s but they couldn't scrap the flxible that I've mentioned a couple days ago. Now that's just really backwards and pathetic.

Garmon, if you'd been around back in early 2008 back when the 8 first got shifted away from 74th, you'd have seen the discussions on how 74th just wasn't keeping up with the slack for this route and saw several members' reports of how the 8 was almost always plague with wicked rush period delays under 74th's solo coverage. But Busjack makes the valid point of that it and Kedzie finally lost coverage to 77th after both had to take on more coverage of Archer Garage's old territory under the de-crowd changes, Kedzie taking on northern territory and 74th Archer's Midway area routes. Kedzie was still the lead garage covering the 8, so I think it was more Kedzie taking on the 35 and the 39 after post-Archer prior assignments to 77th that sent the 8 back to 77th since 74th was already covering the Midway routes since the day Archer officially closed.

• Upvote 2

Garmon, if you'd been around back in early 2008 back when the 8 first got shifted away from 74th, you'd have seen the discussions on how 74th just wasn't keeping up with the slack for this route and saw several members' reports of how the 8 was almost always plague with wicked rush period delays under 74th's solo coverage. But Busjack makes the valid point of that it and Kedzie finally lost coverage to 77th after both had to take on more coverage of Archer Garage's old territory under the de-crowd changes, Kedzie taking on northern territory and 74th Archer's Midway area routes. Kedzie was still the lead garage covering the 8, so I think it was more Kedzie taking on the 35 and the 39 after post-Archer prior assignments to 77th that sent the 8 back to 77th since 74th was already covering the Midway routes since the day Archer officially closed.

You forgot 62 also before it shifted to 74th.

The 8 Halsted was originally operated out of 77th AND Limits garage. The 9 Ashland was a shared route also, between 69th and Limits. The 52nd/Cottage Grove garage operated the 1,2,6 Jeffery Express, 14 S Lake Shore Express, and 43. When Cottage Grove was closed, all routes except 43 went to 77thand 43 went to Archer. As a result, 77th gave up the 8, 42 Halsted/Archer and 71st to 69th, which eventually became 74th garage. The 8 was still shared between 69th and Limits until Limits closed. As a result, the 8 and 9 became exclusively 74th, the 49 (which was shared between 69th and NP) went to archer. The majority of Limits routes went to Kedzie, with the 36 Broadway short turns going to NP.

The 8 Halsted was originally operated out of 77th AND Limits garage. The 9 Ashland was a shared route also, between 69th and Limits. The 52nd/Cottage Grove garage operated the 1,2,6 Jeffery Express, 14 S Lake Shore Express, and 43. When Cottage Grove was closed, all routes except 43 went to 77thand 43 went to Archer. As a result, 77th gave up the 8, 42 Halsted/Archer and 71st to 69th, which eventually became 74th garage. The 8 was still shared between 69th and Limits until Limits closed. As a result, the 8 and 9 became exclusively 74th, the 49 (which was shared between 69th and NP) went to archer. The majority of Limits routes went to Kedzie, with the 36 Broadway short turns going to NP.

We already noted that the 8 and the 9 for that matter were shared routes between Limits and 69th (9) or 77th (8). Well Busjack made note of that detail anyway. The only thing that we didn't note explicitly in our conversation above was that somewhere between being split between Limits and 77th and being exclusively assigned to 74th, the 8 was shared to a certain extent with Limits still for part or all of what time it spent at 69th before its successor garage 74th opened. Picking up on what went where from Limits after its closure, 8 and 9 were 69th, later 74th. 36 135 and 145 became exclusively North Park routes. And the 37 (in its Sedwick/Ogden form), whatever runs Limits operated on the 121-125 (up till 2002 at least these didn't have a set assignment to just one or two garages), and the 151 short trips and 156 all went to Kedzie.

A shocking discovery is on the #3. #1093 has moved from FG to 77th. It may be a strong possibility now that FG is all nova. The question is what have they received? The only difference I spot so far is #6852 has came over to Fg, it's on Central. So if FG has lost the remaining NF's, then what did it get #6400's? Now that I'm looking at it #1190 and #1197 are both on the #3 or #4 and #1092 is at Ford city on the #79 also.

It looks like a trade now between 77th and 74th. #6406 and #6403 are on the #63. #6400 is on the #44, #1152 is on the #53A, so it appears 77th is trying to go all or mostly NF

You can also add #1159 NF bus on the #3 King Drive route. I've saw it today too. :)

If we still see this in place on Monday then yeah there may be something going on between 74th and 77th. Saying anything is trading with 77th gets more tricky because of the South Shops being down there. At any rate, maybe they're looking to set up 74th as being first for 7900s when deliveries start up in earnest in a couple of months given what's left at 77th among the Novas are pretty much the oldest clunkers. And if the Nova to NF ratio does increase significantly at 74th that would really be dropping 74th's average bus age after a swap out of old Novas for 7900s.