More Bus Moves

sw4400

As I indicated above, sending higher number buses back to FG indicates that they probably will get the 7900s last.

However, this seems less discriminatory than what appeared to the be original allotment of 1000s at 74th, which was either zero or 30. FG at least until 2007 had the lowest average age, and I bet by the time this round is over, it again will.

Maybe you're right, BJ. I guess the return of 6819-6839 to FG could be a significant marker.

But assuming that FG is the last barn to receive the 7900s (whether or not the CTA exercises the second option), I'd think it would be wise to send more NFs to FG as they become available. Meanwhile, I'd assume that 77th would be keeping at least some 6709s. (I could envision many of the ones now at FG being reassigned months from now as the 7900s arrive.

Well this was unexpected. #7681 is a goner for good.

If the number is correct (and it sure looks like a NABI, all of which were taken out of service), it should have been a goner for good 3 years ago. So what's the source of the picture?

• Upvote 1

If 6829-6838 is back at Forest Glen, then why #6829 is on #79???

I see what you mean, Garmon. 6830 got left behind as well.

Other higher-numbered 6800s are appearing on FG routes on BusTracker, though. As a write, 6841 is operating on Belmont. 6834-5&9 are out there somewhere, too.

If the number is correct (and it sure looks like a NABI, all of which were taken out of service), it should have been a goner for good 3 years ago. So what's the source of the picture?

Himself lol. I was pumping gas and saw some NABIs getting towed myself. The one's at 103rd are gone but there are still some at 77th waiting to be scrapped and towed (can get a glimpse of them from Perry and even the Red Line) Plus he did just take a another picture of a NOVA on 79th at that same spot asking why it was there instead of FG.

Himself lol. I was pumping gas and saw some NABIs getting towed myself. The one's at 103rd are gone but there are still some at 77th waiting to be scrapped and towed (can get a glimpse of them from Perry and even the Red Line) Plus he did just take a another picture of a NOVA on 79th at that same spot asking why it was there instead of FG.

The "holy S***" implied something else, such as that it hit something near the gas station.

Thus, the "goner for good" is saying nothing unexpected (to use a double negative), except that is going to the final executioner (not much different than today's Pearls Before Swine).

holy S*** I was walking from that gas station when that happened!! and judging from by this and all your other sightings it sounds like you and I live not to far from each other...

Oh wow!!! Lol I used to live out there but I moved back to the suburbs. My girlfriend lives out there though and that's why I be out there a lot.

Those were exactly my pics that I took with my iPhone. It is indeed #7681 and hey you may be right about it supposed to gone a while ago. However, when I started mentioning about the estimate of them they were a mix of 7500s, 7600s, and a few 7700s.

That's a shame to see such new looking buses hitting the shredder. Looks like it still has alot of good parts on it. CTA did well though, they got their money back on those and then some, so they are not disappointed. But I can't help but look at that bus and think this is why NABI bus went out of business and was bought by New Flyer. Soon probably the name won't even exist.

That's a shame to see such new looking buses hitting the shredder. Looks like it still has alot of good parts on it. CTA did well though, they got their money back on those and then some, so they are not disappointed. But I can't help but look at that bus and think this is why NABI bus went out of business and was bought by New Flyer. Soon probably the name won't even exist.

NABI was pretty much out of business when Cerebrus bought it from the bankrupt Hungarian holding company. The only thing that can be said is that apparently Cerebrus turned it around sufficiently and settled the CTA lawsuit that it became worthwhile for New Flyer to buy it.

I'm basing my presumption off of the moves of New Flyers from FG to 77th, jajuan. I'm thinking CTA is planning to make FG an all Nova LFS Smart Bus garage and move the stock of Nova LFS at FG throughout other garages, retiring the older Nova LFS at those garages. Otherwise, why are the New Flyers being transferred from FG to 77th for Novas?

I'm simply pointing out that making any one garage all Smart buses is more complicated than it sounds, even moreso if all they get is 300.

At this point (with the exception of anyone on this board who might have an inside track with the CTA), can we be sure that the 77th-FG shuffle will continue? Personally, I don't think that the one-bus-type-per-garage option is good planning. It ultimately leads to an unbalanced distribution of equipment by age and mileage as well as inflexibilty with shuffling equipment among garages as needed. Had Archer remained open, maintaining an entire fleet of 12-to-14-year-old Novas 24-7 might have presented some major headaches. In the meantime, FG didn't remain an all-Nova fleet, although that seemed to have been the original plan.

Also, the FG roster will be expanding this spring by about 20 buses. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the additional buses being anything other than NFs (likely 10 each from Kedzie and Chicago, give or take). Now maybe --- just maybe--- tradition will be broken and FG will receive the first allotment of 7900s. (77th's most deteriorated 6400s would be temporarily replaced by returning 6500s from FG). Just a guess.

Wordguy, you and BH alluded to some of how much more complicated it can be. Though BH, I'm not too sure where you're getting that Kedzie needs to get rid of 20 buses because FG is picking up the 76 from Chicago. The only thing that's changing with Kedzie is that Chicago will help out on selected AM rush trips of the 12 (of which it's not reported how many trips Chicago will help out on and may only be one way as is happening with Kedzie helping on the 66 in the AM rush), and that Kedzie will regain AM rush coverage of the 151 short triips from Chicago. So I don't see how Kedzie loses 20 buses from that.

I see what you mean, Garmon. 6830 got left behind as well. Other higher-numbered 6800s are appearing on FG routes on BusTracker, though. As a write, 6841 is operating on Belmont. 6834-5&9 are out there somewhere, too.

#6835 and #6838 were on the #56 yesterday and #6831 was on the #78 on saturday night.

I'm simply pointing out that making any one garage all Smart buses is more complicated than it sounds, even moreso if all they get is 300. Wordguy, you and BH alluded to some of how much more complicated it can be. Though BH, I'm not too sure where you're getting that Kedzie needs to get rid of 20 buses because FG is picking up the 76 from Chicago. The only thing that's changing with Kedzie is that Chicago will help out on selected AM rush trips of the 12 (of which it's not reported how many trips Chicago will help out on and may only be one way as is happening with Kedzie helping on the 66 in the AM rush), and that Kedzie will regain AM rush coverage of the 151 short triips from Chicago. So I don't see how Kedzie loses 20 buses from that.

The #37's going from kedzie to chicago too. Paired with the other changes that's not too wild an assumption. The whole reason the #76 is going to fg is to ease overcrowding at kedzie

The #37's going from kedzie to chicago too. Paired with the other changes that's not too wild an assumption. The whole reason the #76 is going to fg is to ease overcrowding at kedzie

And 37 doesn't really use all that many buses. The 76 has nothing to do with Kedzie since it's currently a Chicago route, not a Kedzie one. So your numbers are still a bit off if you consider that what pressure is relieved by Chicago doing some #12 AM rush runs is offset by Kedzie turning around and taking back the AM rush #151 short trips (which are on a 6 to 8 minute headway) back from Chicago. Now if Kedzie stopped doing its AM #66 runs which are interlined with the 120 and 121, then I'd be more inclined to see Kedzie giving up 20 buses.

And 37 doesn't really use all that many buses. The 76 has nothing to do with Kedzie since it's currently a Chicago route, not a Kedzie one. So your numbers are still a bit off if you consider that what pressure is relieved by Chicago doing some #12 AM rush runs is offset by Kedzie turning around and taking back the AM rush #151 short trips (which are on a 6 to 8 minute headway) back from Chicago. Now if Kedzie stopped doing its AM #66 runs which are interlined with the 120 and 121, then I'd be more inclined to see Kedzie giving up 20 buses.

I thought someone on here said K stopped doing trips on 66 with Chicago converting it to artics?

I thought someone on here said K stopped doing trips on 66 with Chicago converting it to artics?

I don't remember that. However, I do remember a question getting asked about whether Kedzie would stop doing so now that Chicago has artics to operate the route, but according to the current schedule those trips are still in place since I don't see Chicago starting #66 EB trips at Sacramento instead of Pulaski, as trips pulling out from that garage still start. Chicago converting the route to artics wouldn't be enough of a reason to end Kedzie operated trips since Kedzie does in fact have artics.

• Upvote 2