More Bus Moves

sw4400

Here is a shot of WB2 taken at Chicago and Mozart the other day.

That proves garmon was right that there are Novas converted into work buses and that he saw them when he was bus viewing down at 77th. I still find it interesting that they converted buses from a model that's still in revenue service into work buses. We haven't even seen the current Novas' replacement model yet and already they converting some into work buses.

That proves garmon was right that there are Novas converted into work buses and that he saw them when he was bus viewing down at 77th. I still find it interesting that they converted buses from a model that's still in revenue service into work buses. We haven't even seen the current Novas' replacement model yet and already they converting some into work buses.

If one believed CTA announcements, 100 Novas should have been scrapped already once 100 buses were taken off Red Line service, and 2 of them were sold to Olive Harvey for $1 each. This is as much an active series as the 6000s when suddenly 74th got 30 1730s because 30 6000s were dead. The rest weren't dead until 2010.

Besides that, unless CTA was going to keep the 6000s work buses in perpetuity, the Novas are the only ones left.

If one believed CTA announcements, 100 Novas should have been scrapped already once 100 buses were taken off Red Line service, and 2 of them were sold to Olive Harvey for $1 each. This is as much an active series as the 6000s when suddenly 74th got 30 1730s because 30 6000s were dead. The rest weren't dead until 2010.

Besides that, unless CTA was going to keep the 6000s work buses in perpetuity, the Novas are the only ones left.

Granted a significant number may or should be dead, but whether it's CTA's announcements or the various rosters on the roster thread that are accurate we're still talking about approximately 370-470 buses. So I would still call that an active bus series, especially given that the Americana CTA series as a whole, which the Novas helped knock off, was 362 buses. And the 6000s became work buses just four years ago, so a few more months as work buses shouldn't have hurt unless the remaining 6000s at the time of their mass retirement in the 2010 cuts were not in all that great a shape as some on the forum were lamenting.

...And the 6000s became work buses just four years ago, so a few more months as work buses shouldn't have hurt unless the remaining 6000s at the time of their mass retirement in the 2010 cuts were not in all that great a shape as some on the forum were lamenting.

Which essentially is the question. Why maintain a 19 year old salvage job when there is a surplus of 14 year old ones?

Which essentially is the question. Why maintain a 19 year old salvage job when there is a surplus of 14 year old ones?

Which also even gets to the question I posed in November and December. Why try to hold on to the surplus (which at that time was still about 100 buses) of 14 year buses?

Yeah I was close guessing #6404, garmin should have wrote the registration down for Wb-1. Although that could be #6450. Seems these work buses are fairly new.

It would've been impossible for me to determine which two Nova busses were converted into work busses. It would've been a different story if I was working for the CTA but I don't access to all that information. I really appreciate everybody feedback about it though. :)

It would've been impossible for me to determine which two Nova busses were converted into work busses. It would've been a different story if I was working for the CTA but I don't access to all that information. I really appreciate everybody feedback about it though. :)

The point is someone does. :P No problem, looking back at your pictures wb-1 doesn't seem to have a registration visible anyway. I'm sure we'll find out in the future, now that everyone's curious. :lol:

The point is someone does. :P No problem, looking back at your pictures wb-1 doesn't seem to have a registration visible anyway. I'm sure we'll find out in the future, now that everyone's curious. :lol:

I know right?!?!?! This have been very interesting but yeah man, I hope that somebody can figure out the two numbers also.

I can't imagine the CTA doing any maintenance to the 6000 series work buses once they knew novas would be available. Does the conversion to work bus take anything more than a number change? I imagine they have some sort of tool and material storage aboard?

I can't imagine the CTA doing any maintenance to the 6000 series work buses once they knew novas would be available. Does the conversion to work bus take anything more than a number change? I imagine they have some sort of tool and material storage aboard?

Well I'm sure there are internal modifications done such as removal of some or all seats to make room for whatever equipment they carry and store in the work buses as well as removal of destination signs and the obvious removal of fareboxes.

Spotted Kedzie's artic 4049 on 147 this afternoon northbound.

I'm afraid you're late on this observation. 4049 is no longer a Kedzie bus. It's assigned to NP now. it's part of the block 4043-4049 that got switched from Kedzie to NP about a week ago during the Jan. 18-19 weekend.

Forum Members,

What would you do to combat the dirty buses and "L" cars & how would you deal with the 24-hr. homeless hotels that are the Blue and Red Lines? Smoking, illicit drug use, personal bathroom use, sleeping on trains, etc.... put yourselves in the CTA President's shoes and share your insight.... right now CTA says they don't want to be overly critical of "loitering" on CTA property, but want to keep trains clean... :huh:

Sadly, the $1.4 million 5000-Series currently being delivered are turning into $1.4 million potty sheds slowly on the Red Line. Yes, they can be disinfected, but this shouldn't be... CTA should remove homeless or have CPD remove them if reports of defecation come in to the Rail Operator. It'll cause delays, but that is a health hazard if allowed constantly. As it stands now, it seems CTA will not remove them, even at the end of the lines.

Story

Here are the busses that are temporary out of service at 77th Garage as of 01/30/14 (busses may vary depending on whether or not some are in line of a major rehab, retirement, and/or would be released back to their respective garages):

500*, 501***, 502, 508, 510, 512, 513, 518, 521, 522, 525, 530, 531, 535, 538, 541, 542, 803**, 901, 902, 903, 1087, 1128, 1156, 1208, 1432, 1468, 1538, 1540, 1570, 1619, 1670***, 1817, 4000, 4009, 4107, 4115, 4165, 4346, 6427, 6492, 6570, 6631**, and 6735.

Work Busses:

Flxible (6000s) WB-1 and 2

Nova WB-1 (Former 6402 thanks to the bar code tag on the right side of the bus)

Notice: That's not all of the busses though. There are some NF artics, NABI 7500s (About 50 left referring to Busjack's question), 2 Optimas by the fence on 77th, all three NF 5900s, some Novas (6568 is officially retired), and some NF D40s in the back on 77th/Perry St side.

*In process of retirement

**On a test run

***Inside the shop adjacent to 79th (there are 3 other NFs inside)