More Bus Moves

sw4400

Oh I see. Thanks. I haven't been on this topic in a while. What's up with these busses being switched to different garages???

New pick started today, which means it was time for another quarterly shift of buses to where they're more needed for this time of year.

New pick started today, which means it was time for another quarterly shift of buses to where they're more needed for this time of year.

My whole entire life in Chicago, Chicago Garage finally have artics. I like that decision but it only makes 74th Garage the only garage (if I'm not mistaking) to not have artics because of the fact that it's too small to have them inside.

My whole entire life in Chicago, Chicago Garage finally have artics. I like that decision but it only makes 74th Garage the only garage (if I'm not mistaking) to not have artics because of the fact that it's too small to have them inside.

You're forgetting Forest Glen... that garage never had artics. As far as 74th, I believe they did have artics when the 7000's and 7100's were around as they were only 55' long, not the 60' length the artics of today are(or 62' if you have Nova Artics).

You're forgetting Forest Glen... that garage never had artics. As far as 74th, I believe they did have artics when the 7000's and 7100's were around as they were only 55' long, not the 60' length the artics of today are(or 62' if you have Nova Artics).

Actually, Forest Glen did have a few 55-foot MAN artics, however briefly. It was 74th that was never officially equipped with artics even though it was designed to handle the 55-footers the CTA had at the time the garage was built.

Back to the subject of artics based at Chicago Garage:

Most of them (as of this morning) are running on the #66, with one or two artics each on the #72, #74 and #76. The only ex-Jeffery Jump-wrapped 4000 Chicago Garage got was 4098, which is on the #74. And 77th sent a bit more artics to Chicago than we originally thought: Chicago received 4300s numbered as low as 4378. With the loss of 17 artics to Chicago Garage, 77th's remaining artics are now apparently limited to the #79 route (the #3, #4 and #8 do not appear to use any artics this AM rush).

And with the conversion of the #66 to mostly artic operation, the supplemental AM rush period short trips operated by Kedzie are no longer being operated.

Actually when Chicago opened back in 1995, it had the MAN 7100 series artics that were formerly assigned to Archer Garage. It used those artics for service on the Green Line temporary route #23 Washington Express, which before Chicago's opening was assigned previously to Kedzie

And with the conversion of the #66 to mostly artic operation, the supplemental AM rush period short trips operated by Kedzie are no longer being operated.

I was wrong there. The supplemental short trips are still being operated. Now, Kedzie started using more of its artics on those short runs.

I was also wrong about the #3 and #4: There is one artic on each of those two routes this morning.

And the #72 and #76 appear to use artics only in the eastbound direction during the AM rush period. I would expect a couple of artics to run westbound on North Avenue and Diversey Parkway/Avenue during the PM rush period. (In other words, expect the #72 and #76 to use a couple of artics in the peak direction during rush periods.) The #74 uses a couple of artics in both directions - at least during the rush periods.

..As far as 74th, I believe they did have artics when the 7000's and 7100's were around

as they were only 55' long, not the 60' length the artics of today are(or 62' if you have Nova Artics).

There might have been when the 38 Green Line replacement ran (unless they ran out of 77th), but that would have been out of 69th. Certainly none at 74th after it opened in Sept. 1995.

I was wrong there. The supplemental short trips are still being operated. Now, Kedzie started using more of its artics on those short runs.

BusTracker indicates about half low 4000s on 66. Are they just K runs or did some get transferred?

BusTracker indicates about half low 4000s on 66. Are they just K runs or did some get transferred?

They are still K runs (the lower 4000s and 4320s-4330s). The 4070s, 4100s and upper 4300s are all Chicago Garage runs.

Now I know why 4395-4399 was at Chicago Garage all these months since the reopening of the Red Line's Dan Ryan branch without officially going into revenue service until now: Those five buses were used to train drivers at that garage for revenue artic operation which officially began with the December 22 (yesterday) pick.

• Upvote 1

I thought the 7000s artics were dominated by 77th, 103rd, and North Park back then. Which routes on behalf on 74th needed those artics? Between 74th and Forest Glen (You're absolutely right about FG not having artics), Forest Glen would have a better shot of having artics even though that's not going to happen for who knows how long.

Actually when Chicago opened back in 1995, it had the MAN 7100 series artics that were formerly assigned to Archer Garage. It used those artics for service on the Green Line temporary route #23 Washington Express, which before Chicago's opening was assigned previously to Kedzie

I remembered that route but I was so young back then.

At least three Optimas appear to have migrated from FG to 77th. BusTracker shows 500 on 43rd and 504 on Wentworth. I'm assuming 502 was moved as well.

In the meantime, 6498 showed up on Belmont this morning. So it looks as if FG received at least 14 Novas from the Chicago barn. (The loaner Novas, 6535, 6547, and maybe 6497 may have returned to the Chicago garage). Also: only 5 or 6 Optimas are filling FG runs this AM, as opposed to the dozen or so in recent weeks. I'm wondering if a few more Optimas got dumped.

CTA's oldest artics are only five years old. Notwithstanding the NABI experience, why would CTA retire a five-year-old bus?

I was not speaking of the artics sir. If you reread my full post, you will see from the context, I was clearly referring to the Novas. As wordguy pointed out, that was a typo on my part which I will correct soon enough.

There might have been when the 38 Green Line replacement ran (unless they ran out of 77th), but that would have been out of 69th. Certainly none at 74th after it opened in Sept. 1995.

I think sw's mistakenly mixing a memory of artics on the 23 Green Line replacement that I mentioned above with what was used on the 38. Those artics on the 23 as I mentioned were the former 7100s previously assigned to Archer and transferred to Chicago briefly to be expressly used on the 23 after that temporary route got transferred from Kedzie to Chicago upon Chicago opening in July of 1994 (not 1995 as I mistakenly put above) to replace the old Lawndale Garage which closed that day Chicago opened and the old North Avenue garage which had already closed years prior.When the Green Line reopened and the 23 taken from service the Chicago artics got transferred mainly to North Park with maybe a few going to 103rd. 74th never had any artics and as far back as I can remember, I don't think its predecessor 69th had any either. The 38 was operated almost exclusively with Americanas originally and then with an almost even split of 6000s and Americanas upon 74th opening and replacing 69th along with the 76 highest Americanas originally at 69th at the time going to NP to make room for the assigned Flx's during 69th's equipment switch to 74th.

It looks like with this pick the Stony Island/63rd short trips on the 6 have been expanded into the weekdays. At this present time in the early part of the afternoon, half the trips on the 6 start and end at 63rd and the other half are full trips between downtown and 79th/Lake Shore. A look at the schedule, shows that every other trip in either direction during the weekday midday hours are short trips.

That LFR on the #74 was 4382. The #74 had two attics this morning.

Do they store a lot in those attics??? :P:lol:

This chicagobus.org outtake is brought you by "That Damn Spellchecker!!!" ©. Ever wanted to tell that special someone in your life you love them, but when you text it to them, it says "I loathe you." Blame it on "That Damn Spellchecker!!!" ©. Then buy some roses and a nice "I'm Sorry" card to make up for the typo.