More Bus Moves

sw4400

One possibility is that the operator of bus 4391 picked up his bus at 77th and deadheaded downtown to do his 65 Grand run. I have seen this plenty of times when a bus from another garage originates his run from 77th. Usually that bus has been at 77th either as a loaner or more likely coming from South Shops, One recent late night I saw a bus from Chicago Ave (can't remember the bus number) deadheading from there to the Chicago AVe garage. But again, I've seen P.M. rush pull outs and A.M. rush pull ins at 77th with buses from other garages.

I do agree that there are technical issues with the Tracker at times, occurring very sparingly, but yet do occur. Since I did not have hard evidence from my original claim and have not found any since, I'll have to discard it.

I am always very careful with what I post, but this time I did not include evidence on this, so a mistake on my part. Thanks everyone for all your responses and legitimate arguments.

At this point could be nothing more than 77th doing the historical move of using whatever is on hand, with what's vailablr on the property at the time sometimes being from other garages, considering the South Shops is on property and the Shops is where all revenue buses go for more extensive heavy maintenance that's not done at garage level. In light of garmon's post in the 1000's rehab thread about seeing 1630 on 79th leaving 77th garage and his suspicion that 1630 possibly getting rehabbed, it could be that 1124 was down at 77th for rehab work at the Shops and 77th decided to use it for a run on the 79. If that is the case, 1124 is still a 74th bus and 77th decided to use it because it was there.

They were probably fill-ins, as a lot of different garages provide extra service for other garages' routes on New Year's Eve in past years. I remember in recent years Kedzie provided a lot of additional Navy Pier service, with runs on the 29, 65, and 66. This year may have been slightly different, with Forest Glen doing some additional runs (saw 1236 myself running the 65 last night and thought that was an interesting sight).

They were probably fill-ins, as a lot of different garages provide extra service for other garages' routes on New Year's Eve in past years. I remember in recent years Kedzie provided a lot of additional Navy Pier service, with runs on the 29, 65, and 66. This year may have been slightly different, with Forest Glen doing some additional runs (saw 1236 myself running the 65 last night and thought that was an interesting sight).

Yeah that's most likely what it was, part of the extra service for New Year's Eve. 65 is one of those routes that sees extra service traditionally for New Year's Eve because of the annual fireworks at Navy Pier to ring in the New Year.

So NP parked its artics again today and did so on New Year's Day. Does anyone know if this is going to be set weekend/holiday policy for NP? The other garages are using their artics so it's iffy in my mind about this being for this weekend's snowstorm.

So NP parked its artics again today and did so on New Year's Day. Does anyone know if this is going to be set weekend/holiday policy for NP? The other garages are using their artics so it's iffy in my mind about this being for this weekend's snowstorm.

It's probably more because of the snowstorm. Most of NP Artics are run on Lake Shore Drive routes, so they'll probably be down until Monday. I doubt it's due to passenger counts on weekend/holidays, since today,1/4/13 is not a holiday. If the weather improves next weekend, check the tracker at that time and see what's running on NP routes then.

It's probably more because of the snowstorm. Most of NP Artics are run on Lake Shore Drive routes, so they'll probably be down until Monday. I doubt it's due to passenger counts on weekend/holidays, since today,1/4/13 is not a holiday. If the weather improves next weekend, check the tracker at that time and see what's running on NP routes then.

Sorry but I still don't think that's it completely or otherwise the other artic garages would have parked theirs. Not to mention NP would have pulled them all in the night of New Year's Eve, the same evening all this snow started and they didn't. Most of them also would have been parked on the 2nd if it were more to do with the weather, and that wasn't the case either. As for today not being a holiday, I know that otherwise I would not have said is it in part a WEEKEND/HOLIDAY thing? As in possibly in part because today is part of the weekend. The holiday part referred to the 1st.

Sorry but I still don't think that's it completely or otherwise the other artic garages would have parked theirs. Not to mention NP would have pulled them all in the night of New Year's Eve, the same evening all this snow started and they didn't. Most of them also would have been parked on the 2nd if it were more to do with the weather, and that wasn't the case either. As for today not being a holiday, I know that otherwise I would not have said is it in part a WEEKEND/HOLIDAY thing? As in possibly in part because today is part of the weekend. The holiday part referred to the 1st.

They wouldn't want to pull artics off on new years eve especially downtown. I would have to agree with sw on this one. Everyone is worried we are going to have LSD mayhem part two even going as far as pulling buses off the drive to avoid it. Frankly I don't know if we'll see too many on monday either with the extreme cold. If we have the winds we had last night most likely not because there is just too much black ice to risk it with all the snow drifts and LSD in places is open territory for extreme wind.

Let's visit this again on a weekend where there is no snowstorm.... both today and New Year's Day, we had big snows occurring. This is inconclusive right now... NP, for a fact, does run artics on it's Lake Shore routes, and it has quite a few of them...

• 135: Clarendon/LaSalle Express
  • 136: Sheridan/LaSalle Express
  • 146: Inner Drive/Michigan Express
  • 147: Outer Drive Express
  • 148: Clarendon/Michigan Express

There is no Holiday Schedule in effect right now. It's the normal Mon-Sat schedule CTA has right now.

Let's visit this again on a weekend where there is no snowstorm.... both today and New Year's Day, we had big snows occurring. This is inconclusive right now... NP, for a fact, does run artics on it's Lake Shore routes, and it has quite a few of them...

• 135: Clarendon/LaSalle Express
  • 136: Sheridan/LaSalle Express
  • 146: Inner Drive/Michigan Express
  • 147: Outer Drive Express
  • 148: Clarendon/Michigan Express

There is no Holiday Schedule in effect right now. It's the normal Mon-Sat schedule CTA has right now.

Again you are missing my point as I said I KNOW IT'S NOT A HOLIDAY so do please do stop repeating that. It is still the WEEKEND. when neither the 135, 136, and 148 still DON'T run. Reread my original post when I said could it be possible that it's could become a WEEKEND/HOLIDAY thing for NP. As in it's not a regular WEEKDAY when those other three Lake Shore Express routes are in operation and when 146 and 147 need more buses period regardless of length. If it were mostly because of the snowstorms, all the other artic garages would not have exercised normal weekend artic deployment today or normal holiday deployment on Wednesday, and just parked most or all of their artics as well. Christmas saw no where near as much snow, maybe a relative dusting by comparison, and NP still parked its artics. So as I said the snow alone can't be the only factor.

I sort of agree with Jajuan's conclusion: that the snow isn't the only factor. But I think that anticipated ridership over any weekend or holiday could be the major factor. So the decision to deploy artics from NP could probably vary from one weekend to the next. As always just speculating, but I believe it's happened in the past. Policies seem to vary among garages.

If my memory serves me, more than one NP artic jack-knifed on North Lake Shore Drive during the Blizzard of 2011. So maybe BusHunter and sw4400 are right, too. Still, almost no artics operated on either the 22 or the 151, neither of which use LSD. (Weirdly, two artics actually DID operate today, according to BusTracker: 4125 on the 151, and 4196 on the <gasp> 147!).

I sort of agree with Jajuan's conclusion: that the snow isn't the only factor. But I think that anticipated ridership over any weekend or holiday could be the major factor. So the decision to deploy artics from NP could probably vary from one weekend to the next. As always just speculating, but I believe it's happened in the past. Policies seem to vary among garages.

If my memory serves me, more than one NP artic jack-knifed on North Lake Shore Drive during the Blizzard of 2011. So maybe BusHunter and sw4400 are right, too. Still, almost no artics operated on either the 22 or the 151, neither of which use LSD. (Weirdly, two artics actually DID operate today, according to BusTracker: 4125 on the 151, and 4196 on the 147!).

Thank you. Which is also part of my point. At least two other artics were on the 147 by the way. As I recall, other big snows and slick road conditions of the past caused more than one past jack-knifed artic on the 6 and what was still at the time the 14, yet both 6 and J14 saw heavy artic usage the whole day as one would expect on a Saturday based on the past few years history of artic deployments. (This applies more to the 6 as artics would expected on J14 anyway with that route now having BRT-like qualities.) As I stated before with the other garages, the same was true of the 12, 66, 79 and the Kedzie 151 runs. If it was mainly the snow, wouldn't we have seen far fewer, though not necessarily zero, artics on those other routes instead of heavy to complete artic coverage (depending on the route)? Or at the very least wouldn't the smaller artic deployments be restricted more to 146 and 147 in NP's case and 22 and 151 still get more artics deployed? There's also that wrinkle of it still be far easier a time of parking the artic fleets at the other artic garages than at NP despite NP no longer having more than 120, close to 130, artics assigned to get around as well as there being no huge snow event on Christmas though NP still the only garage that parked almost all its artics then as well. With the north side having the larger population density over other areas of the city you'd think it more likely there would be a significant drop in weekend OR holiday artic use at one of the other garages before NP.

6748 also showed up on the 22 Clark this morning. Also 4359 in service on the J14. I thought 103rd (if it had it during the Dan Ryan shutown) sent that one to 77th.in the artic shuffle that came after the Dan Ryan portion of the Red Line reopened.