More Bus Moves

sw4400

What's makes it even more curious, is that the person recording, must have had some knowledge that it could happen. Perhaps the driver threatened the kid, "Next time you get on my bus, I'm going to beat you up", and made good on his threat. And the comment of "here it comes" seems to make that even more plausible.

Why did this Bus Operator decide to leave his bus and attack this passenger? Clearly from the video, the aggressor was the Operator, not the passenger(did he do something to provoke the driver, maybe? But I don't think he should've reacted in this way).

Video

It seems something jumped off between the driver and that particular person before the phone video was made. The cell phone user and his friend apparently knew something was going to happen when the bus pulled up. The guy in the Konerko jersey must've recognized the driver as he tried to lose himself in the crowd waiting for the bus. Whatever could've happened on the bus, the driver is defenseless behind the wheel. People tend to react differently when the driver is not behind the wheel.

Years ago I was driving a bus in Indianapolis where the roadway went from two lanes (in one direction) to one lane. I merged into the one lane, much to the chagrin of a man who didn't want to be stuck behind a bus. When I pulled over to park once I reached my destination, the guy pulls up next to me and starts cursing and waving his finger as if scolding me. I jumped out of the bus and went to his car and asked him to repeat what he said. Of course he sped off quickly.

I'm trying to figure out where this incident happened.

UPDATE: Scrolling through the YouTube comments, that was the bus turnaround at 47th/Lake Park. I can't determine if it was going to be a WB 47th, or a SB 28.

From the quick flash of "to ORANGE LINE" showing in partial view on the destination sign it was a WB 47th. But even if the driver did come out his bus in self defense (which from what was shown in the clip I tend to doubt and agree with sw on this one), he put his job at risk nonetheless. All any supervisor or management level employer has to do is look at that clip, see the driver pull up to the stop and immediately proceed to jump out and confront this man, and conclude like sw that the driver and not the other man was the aggressor in that incident.

#6497's on the #152. Could they finally be starting to retire some Novas? I haven't seen too many lower #6500's/upper #6400's lately

Well 6501 was on the 20 Madison going WB on a pullin trip to Chicago Garage this morning, 6481 and 6486 are currently on the 9 Ashland right now, and I believe 6487 was on the route as well but as a SB pullin trip to 74th. 6490 is on the 4. 6478 is on the 8. 6470 is on the 24. 6489 is on the 51. 6520 is on the 81. And 6513 is on the 78. Upper 6400s/lower 6500s are still around, but from the looks of it scattered about at several different garages more than what we saw just after the mid-fall special pick after the Dan Ryan Red Line reopened.

... But even if the driver did come out his bus in self defense (which from what was shown in the clip I tend to doubt and agree with sw on this one), he put his job at risk nonetheless. All any supervisor or management level employer has to do is look at that clip, see the driver pull up to the stop and immediately proceed to jump out and confront this man, and conclude like sw that the driver and not the other man was the aggressor in that incident.

These YouTube clips are too complicated for me to figure out, but I generally figure that if the driver was under some sort of threat, he should use the Orbital device to get police help. That's why it's there.

Also, besides YouTube, there are now all those bus security cameras.

• Upvote 1

Clicking on the Garages I note that 1,K, and P do not have Novas. Will CTA shuffle their buses in contemplation of the forthcoming delivery of Novas in 2014?

Anything can happen and probably will, but there has been the trend over the past 5 or so years to consolidate series at particular garages. Also, the 3 you cited mostly use artics, so there wouldn't be any current need for 40 foot buses, nor to fragment their 40 foot existing fleets. On the other hand, since Archer is out of the picture, 77 usually gets new buses.

Undoubtedly any prognostication would need to take into account whether CTA intends to award a contract on the outstanding artic solicitations and rumors about making Chicago garage artic compatible.

Clicking on the Garages I note that 1,K, and P do not have Novas. Will CTA shuffle their buses in contemplation of the forthcoming delivery of Novas in 2014?

Well 6501 was on the 20 Madison going WB on a pullin trip to Chicago Garage this morning, 6481 and 6486 are currently on the 9 Ashland right now, and I believe 6487 was on the route as well but as a SB pullin trip to 74th. 6490 is on the 4. 6478 is on the 8. 6470 is on the 24. 6489 is on the 51. 6520 is on the 81. And 6513 is on the 78. Upper 6400s/lower 6500s are still around, but from the looks of it scattered about at several different garages more than what we saw just after the mid-fall special pick after the Dan Ryan Red Line reopened.

A likely scenario is that 77th, 74th, and FG get 100 each of the scheduled 300 Novas. 77th is at the top of the list as it still has the oldest Novas. Another scenario could put 75 new buses at 77th, 74th, Chicago, and FG, or there could be a scenario that gets 77th the fewest new buses because of artics and possibly Chicago Ave (if it gets any artics).

I was thinking more about the novas from Chicago. First #6535 shows up on the #77 and now #6497 on the #152. That sounds to me like something could be happening with that block of buses from Chicago. They have these artics at Chicago now, maybe they intend to start using those now and transfer a few buses to fg. We are really close to the nova smart bus delivery anyway. If not then maybe they are loaners to try and get more fg new flyers rehabbed.

For the past three weeks or so, at least three out-of-sequence Novas have been operating out of FG: 6497, 6535, & 6547. I'm assuming that they're loaners because all of the post-Red Line Project bus moves have maintained the numerical blocks, no matter how small. It doesn't seem as if any Novas were retired after the mid-fall pick, but it looks like many Optimas were withdrawn --- possibly as many as 20. Maybe those oddball Novas are filling in for deceased Optimas.

A likely scenario is that 77th, 74th, and FG get 100 each of the scheduled 300 Novas. 77th is at the top of the list as it still has the oldest Novas. Another scenario could put 75 new buses at 77th, 74th, Chicago, and FG, or there could be a scenario that gets 77th the fewest new buses because of artics and possibly Chicago Ave (if it gets any artics).

My post had nothing to do with speculating where the newer model Novas will go. There is some logic to your post though.

I was thinking more about the novas from Chicago. First #6535 shows up on the #77 and now #6497 on the #152. That sounds to me like something could be happening with that block of buses from Chicago. They have these artics at Chicago now, maybe they intend to start using those now and transfer a few buses to fg. We are really close to the nova smart bus delivery anyway. If not then maybe they are loaners to try and get more fg new flyers rehabbed.

OK. You didn't mention a specific garage in that regard so I thought you were literally and generally speaking of Novas numbered in the upper 6400 through lower 6500 range.

These YouTube clips are too complicated for me to figure out, but I generally figure that if the driver was under some sort of threat, he should use the Orbital device to get police help. That's why it's there.

Also, besides YouTube, there are now all those bus security cameras.

Which is why I agreed with sw that the operator was completely in the wrong in how he handled whatever the situation was almost three years ago, looking at that March 2011 date.

This is why you shouldn't text and operate a CTA bus... :o .... j/k.... seriously, I don't know how this happened or when, but it looks like a doozy and to quote the late Desi Arnaz, "Someone has a lot of 'splainin' to do."

I don't know. Just as soon as Cook County installed new light poles on Lake Cook Road, someone knocked down and crumpled one of them. This just seems to be a puny tree. Now, if a bus had knocked down one of the old iron trolley poles still used as street lamp poles on Belmont....

On the other hand, they illustrate several of the hazards of the seats on the 5000s here and here.