More Bus Moves

sw4400

Looks like Kedzie is making another rare weekend use of one its 40-foot hybrids. 803 is out on the 126 today.

In fact, three of the 40-foot hybrids (all of the 800-series parallel hybrid type) are in service today. In addition to 803 on the #126, 800 is on the #82 and 805 is on the #60.

In fact, three of the 40-foot hybrids (all of the 800-series parallel hybrid type) are in service today. In addition to 803 on the #126, 800 is on the #82 and 805 is on the #60.

Perhaps they're figuring out that there's no real reason to park the 800s at least during the weekends when they have artics of similar hybrid drive that they have on the road every weekend and have been doing so for years.

• Upvote 2

Well everyone it's December and you all know What that means right?? Well incase you don't sometime this month we should start seeing the prototype bus of the brand new Nova bus LFS. I for one hope I'll see them at 103rd soon too.

Yes, delivery of the LFS Smart bus is slated for Feb 2014. We might see the Xcelsiors soon as well but they probably will do some internal testing before they hit the street.

Spotted 4396 Monday turning NB on Austin from WB Jackson. It was an Instruction Bus. The run number in the run boc started with 5.

So maybe what Bushunter heard about 4395-99 being at Chicago is true. Also would explain why those buses haven't been sighted on the street. Operators out of that garage would only be used to driving 40 foot buses since that's all that garage as had these past 18 years after it opened.

Well everyone it's December and you all know What that means right?? Well incase you don't sometime this month we should start seeing the prototype bus of the brand new Nova bus LFS. I for one hope I'll see them at 103rd soon too.

Prototype model should be here sometime soon. I'm anxious to see what number series they are ... I'm holding onto 3500 or 8000 as possible numbers. 4400 would be a longshot as I believe the 4000 block is being held for Hybrid Artics, and this will probably become the next number series of Artics when ordered and delivered.

As for garage assignments, look for the most prominent Nova LFS Series I garages to get them first. Forest Glen, 74th and 77th are high on my list.

So maybe what Bushunter heard about 4395-99 being at Chicago is true. Also would explain why those buses haven't been sighted on the street. Operators out of that garage would only be used to driving 40 foot buses since that's all that garage as had these past 18 years after it opened.

Sounds like they are training most of the Chicago operators to be qualified to drive an artic. Maybe the absence of the buses has to do with a (trained) manpower shortage, but operators can move between garages, so they should have some artic qualified drivers there, Maybe they are using those to help with training, but they would have to be promoted to line instructor.

Prototype model should be here sometime soon. I'm anxious to see what number series they are ... I'm holding onto 3500 or 8000 as possible numbers. 4400 would be a longshot as I believe the 4000 block is being held for Hybrid Artics, and this will probably become the next number series of Artics when ordered and delivered.

As for garage assignments, look for the most prominent Nova LFS Series I garages to get them first. Forest Glen, 74th and 77th are high on my list.

I'd be surprised if FG got anything. I wouldn't doubt 77th and 74th gets most of the order. They could raise the artic total at Chicago with a few displaced #4300's or a few #1000's. Fg will probably get the #6800's back from 77th retiring most of the first 309 novas buses with the older green destination signs. Too bad they couldn't just shake up the assignments and give NP and 103rd Novas. That would be really cool for the fans. I'm tired of seeing Novas on the NW side.

BTW, if we don't already know, the Nova Smart LFS' are going to have 37 seats. I guess that eliminates longitudinal seating I hope. :P

The only hitch in that though is artics 4333-4399 aren't hybrids. If the broader sense is that they'll hold remaining fleet numbers beginning with a 4 to artics of any type, even that doesn't hold up to any sort of precedent because of the fact that during the time of CTA's original artic buses, 7000s and 7100s, they also had GM fishbowls 7400s in service for much of those artics time of service (though the 7000 series of artics were retired some years before the retirements of the 7100s and 7400s).

The only hitch in that though is artics 4333-4399 aren't hybrids. If the broader sense is that they'll hold remaining fleet numbers beginning with a 4 to artics of any type, even that doesn't hold up to any sort of precedent because of the fact that during the time of CTA's original artic buses, 7000s and 7100s, they also had GM fishbowls 7400s in service for much of those artics time of service (though the 7000 series of artics were retired some years before the retirements of the 7100s and 7400s).

The 7400s were first (1973). The often unanswered question was why CTA left a hole under them.

The 7400s were first (1973). The often unanswered question was why CTA left a hole under them.

True. Though I was making the larger point that CTA has had artics and standard length buses whose fleet numbers began with the digit in service simultaneously before and that there's no guarantee that they wouldn't or couldn't do it again in current times or further in the future.

1020 is running on route 146 this afternoon.

I thought that was 1020 rolling down Foster going eastbound this morning when I was on the 50 Damen a little after 7 AM. I thought perhaps it was deadheading down Foster to either become a 148 or 136 (for which buses turn north on Broadway towards Devon) when I spotted rolling down Foster as most 40 foot NFs from NP do weekdays if you spot them deadheading from the garage along Foster that time of morning.

Kind of a strange story on the red line tonight. This mexican girl showed up at howard on the train but was unresponsive. They couldn't get her off the train so someone in a cta vest rode with her around the howard loop. When the train was ready to go to back to 95th they still couldn't wake her up and the whoever was controlling the pullouts to 95th ordered the man in a cta vest off the train. He was also with a concerned citizen who probably brought the situation to his attention. Both men got off the train as ordered and the train went to 95th. The man in the vest said "we tried" but he was just following orders. I was waiting for a purple line in route to 35th red line so I picked up the same train at belmont. For some reason the purple line didn't catch that train until lawrence and it was only 5 minutes ahead at the most The girl was still unresponsive until we got to Grand. Then she woke up for a minute and was out again. She didn't do anything else until 35th where I left her. Hopefully she was alright. You hear these stories of people found dead on the train. We'll if they are just leaving people there no wonder. The train was run #919 rear car #2923 pullout from howard 3:50 pm sb if anyone wants to know.

Kind of a strange story on the red line tonight. This mexican girl showed up at howard on the train but was unresponsive. They couldn't get her off the train so someone in a cta vest rode with her around the howard loop. When the train was ready to go to back to 95th they still couldn't wake her up and the whoever was controlling the pullouts to 95th ordered the man in a cta vest off the train. He was also with a concerned citizen who probably brought the situation to his attention. Both men got off the train as ordered and the train went to 95th. The man in the vest said "we tried" but he was just following orders. I was waiting for a purple line in route to 35th red line so I picked up the same train at belmont. For some reason the purple line didn't catch that train until lawrence and it was only 5 minutes ahead at the most The girl was still unresponsive until we got to Grand. Then she woke up for a minute and was out again. She didn't do anything else until 35th where I left her. Hopefully she was alright. You hear these stories of people found dead on the train. We'll if they are just leaving people there no wonder. The train was run #919 rear car #2923 pullout from howard 3:50 pm sb if anyone wants to know.

Why didn't you call 911? Pretty sure the CFD amublances know how to find red line stops.

Why didn't you call 911? Pretty sure the CFD amublances know how to find red line stops.

Real question is why crew didn't call 911, or were they afraid that a real "medical emergency" alert would be posted? Or maybe she didn't have yesterday's CTA Tattler app, but I doubt that was the reason.

Guest ctafan630

Real question is why crew didn't call 911, or were they afraid that a real "medical emergency" alert would be posted? Or maybe she didn't have yesterday's CTA Tattler app, but I doubt that was the reason.

Seems like the CTA was more concerned about keeping a schedule than it was about a passenger's safety. They could have easily called ahead and had a paramedic crew waiting at a station to take this woman off the train.

• Upvote 1