More Bus Moves

sw4400

I'm wondering, since when did Yellow Line trains have automated announcements for stops other than Howard? I was on a 5000-series train to Skokie on Saturday, and was surprised to hear Mr. CTA say, "Welcome aboard Yellow Line run 594. Oakton-Skokie is next." I was on the Yellow Line northbound back in July, and I only heard a manual announcement. It's interesting how there seems to be a longer pause between Oakton and Skokie in the announcement, when compared with announcements for other stations with hyphenated names.

The one you took earlier must have had problems. Even when the only stops were Howard and Skokie (Dempster) one would be announced as the next stop pretty much as soon as it started its trip.

...It's interesting how there seems to be a longer pause between Oakton and Skokie in the announcement, when compared with announcements for other stations with hyphenated names.

The announcements for Morgan are similar. There is a noticeable gap between the sentences on the announcements.

"Clinton is next. Doors open on the right at Clinton."

"Morgan is next. ...... Doors open on the right at Morgan."

When the 2400s were on the Green Line, the gap was smaller, but still larger compared to other station announcements.

Those #1270's have been at 103rd since the ryan shutdown. #1269-65 also went to NP. FG recently received #1080's and 90's to compensate. I've been told half the FG Optimas are not even going out on a daily basis. They need repairs. I guess those buses really are junk.

Actually NP has up to bus 1270 from FG.

Yeah it probably was a loaner from 77th, but about a week ago I saw nova bus 6502 on the 15 so maybe 103rd garage getting a few Novas considering the new pick starts on the 20th. As a 103rd Operator I personally hope we get a few cause I would love to drive one lol. That's the only bus I haven't drove in the current fleet of buses.

I will hope that 103rd will get some brand new Novas when they arriving next year.

Those #1270's have been at 103rd since the ryan shutdown. #1269-65 also went to NP. FG recently received #1080's and 90's to compensate. I've been told half the FG Optimas are not even going out on a daily basis. They need repairs. I guess those buses really are junk.

Some already rusted out like Most Detroit DDOT Fleet, They're pretty much on their way out of the CTA's Picture.

I think they will probably go to places that aiready have Novas. But you never know places like fg may become all new flyer. I just hope they don't get stuck with all of the oldest buses. (1000's through 1200's) I don't think they are getting any Novas off this order. There's not enough and they always get new equipment last.

I already haven't seen a few Novas from 77th in a while. Alot of them are low #6400's. Some of them are #6401-04, #6407 which I haven't seen lately.

Anyone think CTA is not only going to lose buses, but lose railcars? The Dan ryan is now going to be 3 times faster. That could translate to about 1/6 of the Red line fleet not being needed or around 50 cars. That may just fall in line with the awarding of 70 #2400 cars for scrap Busjack was referring to before. That contract was awarded but i have yet to see more than about 20 cars go to the long term hold list. This may be when that changes. The recent addition of #2400's on the Orange line leads me to suspect some #2400 cars might be leaving there soon as well.

That's weird because I never seen any 2400's on the Orange at all, I guess they don't run during Off-peaks or on weekends.

I think they will probably go to places that aiready have Novas. But you never know places like fg may become all new flyer. I just hope they don't get stuck with all of the oldest buses. (1000's through 1200's) I don't think they are getting any Novas off this order. There's not enough and they always get new equipment last.

Which Garages do you think are mostly getting Newer Nova's or which one that should get new Nova's? I think Kedzie should be one of them. I hope not 77th.

If North Park (which Should) or maybe Chicago Ave. gets some New Nova's then they should transfer some of their 1900s to FG. But I think half of Drivers at FG are used to Nova's a bit more so I think FG should have a turn to get a new Equipment. NF 1900s are already 5 years old. But who knows though, Maybe FG will never get a "Brand New" equipment until they get a new inside Garage.

If North Park (which Should) or maybe Chicago Ave. gets some New Nova's then they should transfer some of their 1900s to FG. But I think half of Drivers at FG are used to Nova's a bit more so I think FG should have a turn to get a new Equipment. NF 1900s are already 5 years old. But who knows though, Maybe FG will never get a "Brand New" equipment until they get a new inside Garage.

If anyone were laying bets, it would be that Novas would be replaced in place. Setting aside whether 77th's will be replaced by artics (4300s or the next order), it would appear that FG and 74th would be next in line, and maybe C.

FG did get new buses with 6756 or so and above in 2002, even though it had traded its 1991 Flxs to K in return for getting K's 1995 Flxs, which had the preheaters, and thus if stuff were to have been replaced based on the theory used in 2000-2002 (i.e. average age maintained by having 5300s and Novas), K should have received the Novas. So, until 2007, FG had the newest average fleet age.

Except for very small intervals (such as when part of 49 Western was turned over to NP from Archer and the traffic signal priority experiment was still going on), there seems to have been a concerted effort to keep NP "Nova Free." Don't forget that a huge chunk of NP's fleet is DE60s, so its average fleet age is newer than what you imply by only mentioning the 1900s. For that matter, it seems like that newest bus at 74th is in the 1700s.

As far as outdoor "garages" are concerned, FG and NP are in the same boat.

Looks like 103rd got back 4078 and 4079 from NP. Also, 4325 is on the #151 (likely a Kedzie run) this afternoon.

And Kedzie got back the 1160s from 74th, and also picked up 1279-1282 from 77th.

It looks like Kedzie may have picked up 4325 this weekend. BusTracker has it among to the 151 Belmont trips, which are typically all from Kedzie on weekends. And interesting that Kedzie would get buses back from 74th now when cooler weather picks it's the other way around since Kedzie usually needs less buses than in spring and summer. But then again the south side garages needed buses during the Red Line South Project for which this is the final day. Also interesting that 77th is shedding off more 1000s again. There are already so few of them there. They must plan on adding to the artics there because it, not to mention Forest Glen, is already Nova heavy.

Other moves:

I believe 103rd got back some of its lower 1540s from 74th.

Also, 4327 is showing up on the #12 Roosevelt. Ex-Kedzie 4355 and ex-103rd 4339 and 4361 are on the #79 79th this morning.

With the end of the Dan Ryan Branch reconstruction project, it looks like the 4300s are being assigned in a (somewhat) numerical fashion: Generally speaking, lower-numbered hybrids at 103rd, higher-numbered hybrids at Kedzie and most (if not all) of the diesels at 77th. In fact, this first Sunday since the reopening of the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line, the #79 is operated entirely with artics (just like the #12 on weekends).

Other moves:

I believe 103rd got back some of its lower 1540s from 74th.

Also, 4327 is showing up on the #12 Roosevelt. Ex-Kedzie 4355 and ex-103rd 4339 and 4361 are on the #79 79th this morning.

With the end of the Dan Ryan Branch reconstruction project, it looks like the 4300s are being assigned in a (somewhat) numerical fashion: Generally speaking, lower-numbered hybrids at 103rd, higher-numbered hybrids at Kedzie and most (if not all) of the diesels at 77th. In fact, this first Sunday since the reopening of the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line, the #79 is operated entirely with artics (just like the #12 on weekends).

Almost entirely artic run on the 79. 1940 and 6437 were showing up on the route.Looks like you're right on the split. 4330 also showing up on the 12 Roosevelt though 4322 does show up on the 6 for 103rd.

If anyone were laying bets, it would be that Novas would be replaced in place. FG did get new buses with 6756 or so and above in 2002, even though it had traded its 1991 Flxs to K in return for getting K's 1995 Flxs, which had the preheaters.

Fg didn't have a newer fleet by choice that was because of the preheaters. They did receive a couple optimas new but I think this time they will just keep the #6800's as all other novas garages get the nova replacements. If cta doesn't order more artics then fg wouldn't be all new flyer.

Fg didn't have a newer fleet by choice that was because of the preheaters. They did receive a couple optimas new but I think this time they will just keep the #6800's as all other novas garages get the nova replacements. If cta doesn't order more artics then fg wouldn't be all new flyer.

Of course, we never know about these things. If it was like the 1000s, that obviously would take shoving some buses out of some garages* and giving new Novas to garages that never had them before. Nonetheless, I suppose that no garage ever had this type of Nova before. The specs said that they would have to have urea dispensing service for the "blue" diesel engines, which might constrain allotments.

The budget states that the procurement of 50 artics is still on the table for 2014, for whatever that's worth. If one considers the 4300s part of the current procurement, they would be about 80 buses short for replacing all Novas, and about 120 short for replacing them and the Optimas. However, there are still 150 options for Novas, too.

Obviously, the 6800s would be the last to replace, although by now they would be eligible.

_______

*But no one first figured that Archer, after getting the first 1000s, then would be converted to all Nova, then closed.

I'm not reading too much in this but 74th seems to be making very light use of Novas today.

I saw 6 on BusTracker this afternoon, but still a very small percentage of what is out there.

77th routes seem heavier with 6400s, though.

Perhaps they might be holding back 4388-4399 (12 buses) for that? I haven't seen any of those 12 buses in service today since the route changes.

That would seem to make sense especially if 103rd is getting more buses from 74th. With 77th losing Novas and NF's, it looks like they will be retaining most of the artics they had, which kind of surprises me. if they go back to 79th and Cottage Grove having artics and a few on King Drive. I still count 20 buses extra, but that may explain the bus transfers from 77th. Maybe they are going to do Halsted more now with artics. It could use them. BTW, i haven't seen novas higher than #6450 so far from 77th. (aside from the #6800's)