More Bus Moves

sw4400

Apparently there doesn't need to be a more concentrated usage on those two like on the 79 which never seems to have a slow down moment in ridership like those two except maybe in night time hours.

Doesn't look like it. Not to the degree that one would expect based on the alderman and the Walmart were making a big stink with CTA not yet honoring the agreement to provide some form of bus service to the shopping complex.

• The point was that 103rd was not free of Optimas.
  • What basically does one expect, with a one stop route just slapped up there? 200 people an hour going just to and from Walmart by bus, and usually needing a transfer to do it? Both of the Walmarts in Niles are served by the Niles Free Bus, which is only 30 foot, too.

• The point was that 103rd was not free of Optimas.
  • What basically does one expect, with a one stop route just slapped up there? 200 people an hour going just to and from Walmart by bus, and usually needing a transfer to do it? Both of the Walmarts in Niles are served by the Niles Free Bus, which is only 30 foot, too.

On the first bullet, true but I was the one making that point. Sam wasn't doing so directly but in response making the observation that comes to your second bullet and in part getting at a point I was already alluding to. That point being, the alderman made a huge stink that got in the newspapers like this big influx of people were waiting for the luxury of not having to hoof it a few blocks between the closest bus stop and the Walmart when the actual number doesn't seem to justify using larger than a 30 foot bus.

I also notice 1590 is on the 22 after operating on the 148 this morning.

...That point being, the alderman made a huge stink that got in the newspapers like this big influx of people were waiting for the luxury of not having to hoof it a few blocks between the closest bus stop and the Walmart when the actual number doesn't seem to justify using larger than a 30 foot bus.

The alderman's only point was that he had pushed for about the only major development in his ward, and the CTA intended to breach a contract to serve it.

As I mentioned, if CTA was so worried about inefficiency, it could have merged 111A with 111 or 115 last Sunday, but decided to fulfill its contract in this manner.

But the alderman didn't guarantee that hordes from the food desert were dying to transfer at 111th and King Dr. Especially, as Tracy Swartz pointed out on the first day, the bus didn't show up.

The alderman's only point was that he had pushed for about the only major development in his ward, and the CTA intended to breach a contract to serve it.

As I mentioned, if CTA was so worried about inefficiency, it could have merged 111A with 111 or 115 last Sunday, but decided to fulfill its contract in this manner.

But the alderman didn't guarantee that hordes from the food desert were dying to transfer at 111th and King Dr. Especially, as Tracy Swartz pointed out on the first day, the bus didn't show up.

Sunday wasn't the start of a regular seasonal pick though so that wasn't going to happen anyway. This is still the fall pick that started August 25th, technically speaking. Sunday was only to bring things back to normal with the reopening of the Dan Ryan leg of the Red Line so only schedules and route changes related directly to that were going to change. Folding the 111A into the 111 or 115, if either of those is what CTA decides to go with, is a change that would wait until the normal December start of the winter pick. I do wonder if the exchange was also a rare chance to stick it to Emanuel given the mayor was also scheduled for yet another photo op that week and given his penchant for making a show at micromanaging everything.

The low ridership on the #111A is a direct result of it not connecting to the Dan Ryan or at least some strong N-S corridors like Halsted. If they don't do this probably the route will fail. I don't know if CTA was too enthusiastic about it in the first place. The mayor practically forced it upon them.

• Upvote 1

Just speculating, but it looks to me like a few additional Optimas may be biting the dust. As RJL6000 observed, the UofC routes are now being operated with 40-footers.

However, at least two Optimas (509 & 512) remain at 103rd; both have recently been tracked on the Walmart Shuttle. At least two others, (501 & 504) are now at FG. (Both are currently running on #205). I'm assuming that they're replacing retired units, not adding to the fleet. (Likewise with the recently reassigned Novas).

In recent months, less than half the Optima fleet has been operating at any one time, even during rush hours. This has been the case at both 103 and FG. That itself is a testament to their reliability and their popularity. Only one FG route uses Optimas exclusively: # 205, with three. The majority of #54A's five or six runs are also filled by Optimas. Other than that, they're very scarce these days. Two or three might show up on the Jefferson Park feeder routes during the rushes, but that's it.

As far as I know, they're not subject to the FTA-mandated 12-year service minimum. So I'm guessing that the surviving Optimas will become a memory once the new Novas begin to arrive. Bye!

As far as I know, they're not subject to the FTA-mandated 12-year service minimum. So I'm guessing that the surviving Optimas will become a memory once the new Novas begin to arrive. Bye!

Apparently only because it was state money (RTA grant according to the Press Release).

Just speculating, but it looks to me like a few additional Optimas may be biting the dust. As RJL6000 observed, the UofC routes are now being operated with 40-footers.

However, at least two Optimas (509 & 512) remain at 103rd; both have recently been tracked on the Walmart Shuttle. At least two others, (501 & 504) are now at FG. (Both are currently running on #205). I'm assuming that they're replacing retired units, not adding to the fleet. (Likewise with the recently reassigned Novas).

In recent months, less than half the Optima fleet has been operating at any one time, even during rush hours. This has been the case at both 103 and FG. That itself is a testament to their reliability and their popularity. Only one FG route uses Optimas exclusively: # 205, with three. The majority of #54A's five or six runs are also filled by Optimas. Other than that, they're very scarce these days. Two or three might show up on the Jefferson Park feeder routes during the rushes, but that's it.

Well it appears today only the 54A is exclusively Optima operated. The 205 is running two out of three runs with 40 foot buses, one NF (1207) and one Nova (6590). 542 is the Optima.

Well it appears today only the 54A is exclusively Optima operated. The 205 is running two out of three runs with 40 foot buses, one NF (1207) and one Nova (6590). 542 is the Optima.

There were 3 Optimas about 2 hours ago, but I guess 2 hit the "garage."

There were 3 Optimas about 2 hours ago, but I guess 2 hit the "garage."

That or there's an interline perhaps with 54A to explain it maybe? And has anyone seen any indication that 77th gave up more than just 6878-6883 to 74th as part of the move of 40 foot buses there to make room for the 34 extra artics it added to its previous 28?

That or there's an interline perhaps with 54A to explain it maybe? And has anyone seen any indication that 77th gave up more than just 6878-6883 to 74th as part of the move of 40 foot buses there to make room for the 34 extra artics it added to its previous 28?

6877 is on the 9 this evening going northbound.

510 is the bus on the 111A today

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a story for the ages...

I was taking an EB #78 Montrose bus back home this evening, and I guy boards and puts his Transit Card with $10 on it into the money slot on the machine, where it proceeded to eat it. He expected the Bus Operator to be able to do something, which he said "there's nothing I can do." The guy told the driver it should've been turned around so he can see what slot is for what(pardon me, but I think the slots are clearly marked... coins, bills, transit cards). When he leaves the bus at his destination, he tells the Bus Operator rudely "Thanks for nothing!".

People, pay attention to where you're putting your fares!!! This Operator did nothing wrong here that I could see.