More Bus Moves

sw4400

So will 103rd be losing artics. They can only gain five possible artics from Chicago unless NP is giving them some.

I still figure that there are 100 out there freed up from the Red Line project ending, with the only big allocation so far being to 77th, mostly to convert 79th (and the occasional 3 and so).

Looks then like this pick will debut artics in service at Chicago. I guess it took them a whole pick to train drivers and get them certified. Somehow I expect fg will pick up there novas and either some will retire or they will work on getting rid of some optimas. 103rd seems to be working today with what's left. I wonder could they be getting a few more 77th #4300's?

Looks like there was an exchange between Chicago and 103rd cause not too long ago saw buses 1474 and 78 inside 103rd garage. It would be nice see some novas here at 103rd rather old or new cause i personally would like to drive one and it's a few other operators who never drove one in regular service as well.

So will 103rd be losing artics. They can only gain five possible artics from Chicago unless NP is giving them some.

On that point about NP, if NP was giving up some it would explain why these past few days routes that usually see heavy artic use have been operated with more 1000 series NFs than normally seen. 136 has seen up to half it's runs operated with 1000s on more than one occasion. I've also seen 135, 146, 147 (mainly its PM trips that begin at Randolph) and 151 using a few more 40 footers than I've seen them use before. Even late evening and weekend service on the 22 has seen less artics.

It looks as if Chicago Avenue has received a few artics from NP as well as additional ones from 77th and some from 103rd as mentioned by Mr.cta85.

The following 40-foot NFs, all transferred from Chicago Ave., appeared on Bus Tracker this evening assigned to runs out of 103rd, 77th, & NP:

103rd: 1473 & 1475

77th: 1338 & 1340

NP: 1856 & 1858.

The roster of artics now at Chicago Avenue may look something like this:

4074-4079 from 103rd (based on Mr.cta85's observations)

4106-4112 " " "

4113-4115(?) from NP

4387(?)-4399 from 77th.

That's about 29 overall; probably just enough to fully equip Chicago Avenue (the route).

This is great news. So has anyone seen any 4000's and 4000's at or in Chicago Ave. Garage? This is exciting news. I've been waiting for years for Chicago to get artics. I wonder where they will store them?

As of this morning:

The #66 Chicago Avenue route is running four of the artics - 4077, 4106, 4109 and 4385. There may be other buses on that route not yet detected on BusTracker.

Edited by RJL6000

You might have been correct. Now I see 4395 on that route. I thought I saw 4385 earlier.

Yeah it keeps blinking in and out on the Tracker map. But it's official though that Chicago Garage now has artics and is using them on Chicago Avenue thus far. I guess we'll find out tomorrow if other routes besides the 66 will see artic usage.If they implement full artic coverage on the 66 from Chicago Garage's end, then the only 40 footers we'll be seeing will be from Kedzie during Kedzie's AM rush runs since not all of the Kedzie 66 runs are artics.

In addition, artic 4391 and 40-footer 2026 are now showing up on BusTracker on Chicago Avenue.

Turning to another route, the #151 Sheridan:

As of today, the Sunday trips going to/from Belmont/Halsted now start at around 10:30 am instead of 9:30 am - one hour later than before the pick.

Yes 2026 is now filling in a gap I was seeing on the eastbound side of things. 4391 confirms that 77th did release some 4300s since the only 4300s originally unaccounted for after the Dan Ryan reopened and soon confirmed to be at Chicago after plenty of rumors were 4395-99.

Looks like wordguy was right in his estimation of how the artic count for Chicago Garage would possibly look. I find it interesting though that CTA is apparently opting to continue to run a 100 bus surplus rather than begin retiring some of its oldest Novas*. Perhaps the retirements of the current Novas will come when the Nova Smart buses begin to come in.

Edited to reflect my original intent to type Novas rather than artics as I had mistakenly typed originally.

It looks as if Chicago Avenue has received a few artics from NP as well as additional ones from 77th and some from 103rd as mentioned by Mr.cta85.

The following 40-foot NFs, all transferred from Chicago Ave., appeared on Bus Tracker this evening assigned to runs out of 103rd, 77th, & NP:

103rd: 1473 & 1475

77th: 1338 & 1340

NP: 1856 & 1858.

The roster of artics now at Chicago Avenue may look something like this:

4074-4079 from 103rd (based on Mr.cta85's observations)

4106-4112 " " "

4113-4115(?) from NP

4387(?)-4399 from 77th.

That's about 29 overall; probably just enough to fully equip Chicago Avenue (the route).

Thanks for the mention but I said 4074-79 were at 103rd not Chicago garage, 1473-79 are at 103rd from Chicago. Unless you meant 4074-79 went from 103rd to Chicago.

Has 4170 been back in service yet? Its been MIA for a while now and was even said to possibly be at 103rd (haven't seen it on their routes but after the prediction about Chicago gaining 103rd's unwrapped 4000's coming true [albeit half a year later :lol:] I'm not writing it off as too out of ordinary)