More Bus Moves

sw4400

Took a nice walk around 77th Garage and spotted peek-a-boo NF DE60LF #4323 lol and plenty of Nabi 7500s. When are they ever going to get rid of them? Also, there's a retired Nova but converted to a WB-1.

I take it they got rid of the 6000-series Flxible which was previously WB-1. I recall seeing that bus at an L station in the North Side in the summer of 2011.

So all of the other flxibles are gone but those three mentioned?

Yes the rest of them are gone. It's only 2 of them at 77th that I've mentioned. They never had any 5300s Flxible converted to a work bus. Also, I'm not sure if they still have the fresh market 6000s flxible but it would be cool if they do.

The question is what is the Nova bus WB-1's original bus number? Unless that's #6450 or #6402 or #6404, the rest are wrecked or in service. #6402 and #6400 were supposed to go to Olive-Harvey College, but I notice #6400 is still in service. It was on I believe the #3 or #4 today. The destination sign looks to be different than a regular #6400 sign. Maybe it's something taped to the inside of the destination sign cover. :huh: I guess there will be many more Nova work buses coming soon, when they get this smart bus order.

The question is what is the Nova bus WB-1's original bus number? Unless that's #6450 or #6402 or #6404, the rest are wrecked or in service. #6402 and #6400 were supposed to go to Olive-Harvey College, but I notice #6400 is still in service. It was on I believe the #3 or #4 today. The destination sign looks to be different than a regular #6400 sign. Maybe it's something taped to the inside of the destination sign cover. :huh: I guess there will be many more Nova work buses coming soon, when they get this smart bus order.

Man, that's a good question. I forgot to tell you all that there are two Nova work busses, but I didn't see the other one. The "NOT IN SERVICE" sign is patched. They removed the original flip-dot sign. However, they didn't remove the flip-dot sign on the back of the busses because it also set as "NOT IN SERVICE" in which it's strange because 1. the letters fit perfectly width wise and 2. I have never seen it like that when I see Novas that are not in service out of nearly 13 years of them being on this fleet.

Take your pick...

6404,6420,6450,6531,6522,6568,6610. They don't need many work buses, so all these may eventually become workbuses.

I know it is hard to get an estimate through the fence, but there were originally about 150 sitting at 77th, so how many do you think are left?

One is too many left :blink::rolleyes:^_^ . I wonder if they are using parts from them to fix the New Flyer DE60LF, New Flyer DE60LFR and New Flyer D60LFR buses. While the engines are incompatible(Detroit Series-50 vs. Cummins ISL and ISL9). Other parts might be interchangeable(like the Alcoa rims). Save a $$ here and there by using parts on a basically useless bus. At least the NABI 60-LFW's have some use right now, if this speculation is true.

Take your pick...

6404,6420,6450,6531,6522,6568,6610. They don't need many work buses, so all these may eventually become workbuses.

One is too many left :blink::rolleyes:^_^ . I wonder if they are using parts from them to fix the New Flyer DE60LF, New Flyer DE60LFR and New Flyer D60LFR buses. While the engines are incompatible(Detroit Series-50 vs. Cummins ISL and ISL9). Other parts might be interchangeable(like the Alcoa rims). Save a $$ here and there by using parts on a basically useless bus. At least the NABI 60-LFW's have some use right now, if this speculation is true.

It's not 6568 for sure because it was at the back of the garage on the northeast side. Idk about them using Nabi 7500s parts for the NF's but what the heck; I like your speculation about it.

The proposal was to haul them off and junk them. If CTA said they were unrepairable because (1) they were garbage, and (2) they had been sitting in the yard since 2010 (now 4 years), CTA would have to be insane to try to cannibalize them.

Besides that, NABI, now New Flyer, agreed to pay with new parts from their part operation.

The real question is that CTA never posted who had the scrap contract, and what time the bidder had to haul the carcasses out of the yards.

And since you want to go in this direction, is Jewel selling surplus Safeway Kitchens food? I'm not being facetious, as I know another store that did (also Wegman's) and called out the owner on it.

In the meantime, the question was directed to Garmon.

Man, that's a good question. I forgot to tell you all that there are two Nova work busses, but I didn't see the other one. The "NOT IN SERVICE" sign is patched. They removed the original flip-dot sign. However, they didn't remove the flip-dot sign on the back of the busses because it also set as "NOT IN SERVICE" in which it's strange because 1. the letters fit perfectly width wise and 2. I have never seen it like that when I see Novas that are not in service out of nearly 13 years of them being on this fleet.

Are you sure the rear sign's not patched? Usually the flip dot buses default to CTA I believe when they are not in service. It's the #6709's that have specialized signs that say not in service or some other message. So there are no Optima work buses? :P

The proposal was to haul them off and junk them. If CTA said they were unrepairable because (1) they were garbage, and (2) they had been sitting in the yard since 2010 (now 4 years), CTA would have to be insane to try to cannibalize them.

Besides that, NABI, now New Flyer, agreed to pay with new parts from their part operation.

The real question is that CTA never posted who had the scrap contract, and what time the bidder had to haul the carcasses out of the yards.

And since you want to go in this direction, is Jewel selling surplus Safeway Kitchens food? I'm not being facetious, as I know another store that did (also Wegman's) and called out the owner on it.

In the meantime, the question was directed to Garmon.

You have a valuable point indeed but my concern is about CTA going to have them all scrapped soon and/or their parts are worth keeping. Also, I forgot to mention that they removed the back LED signs but I'm not sure if they kept it for parts. I didn't know New Flyer took over NABI.

Are you sure the rear sign's not patched? Usually the flip dot buses default to CTA I believe when they are not in service. It's the #6709's that have specialized signs that say not in service or some other message. So there are no Optima work buses? :P

No, it's still the green flip-dot sign. I know what you're talking about when you mentioned #6709. 6400-6708, except 6441 and 6515 (Both LED's), shows a blank sign when their sign indicates not in service. No Optima work busses at this time.

#6709-higher not in service sign in two rows: WB-1 and 2 in one row with a smaller font:

NOT IN |NOT IN SERVICE|

SERVICE

You have a valuable point indeed but my concern is about CTA going to have them all scrapped soon and/or their parts are worth keeping. Also, I forgot to mention that they removed the back LED signs but I'm not sure if they kept it for parts. I didn't know New Flyer took over NABI.

On New Flyer buys NABI, the discussion is here.

But I get back to the question whether you have an estimate how many NABIs were left in the yard.

On New Flyer buys NABI, the discussion is here.

But I get back to the question whether you have an estimate how many NABIs were left in the yard.

Thanks for the link. You stated that it was approximately 150 of them were in the yard. I stated that about 70-75 are left in the yard but I'll try to have a complete estimate when I go back to the south side when it's daylight. The yard is bombarded with a mix of Novas, NF D40s/DE60s, and, believe it or not, the 5900s NF's.

I'm guessing for history relevance (museum) but I don't know.

They certainly aren't in shape for any museum.

The only thing I can conceive is that there was some condition on the test of the fuel cell buses. but they are about 19 years old, and as I indicated above, sitting at 77th for probably 15 (although I remember them more in the lot facing Perry. so apparently they had some reason for moving them).

Those have been there at least 15 years. It is head scratching why they would keep obviously unusable stuff around.

They probably hate to get rid of them. They are worth 1.4 million each AFAIK. They may also have special parts that can't be disposed of in a general way. I thought I read those were the first Ballard test buses in service anywhere so maybe someone at Ballard would be interested in them. So there are no #5800's around? I thought CFD was interested in one, but I never heard what became of it. There's also that #4900 that's been retrofitted into a police/terrorist command bus. I wonder what happened to it?

They probably hate to get rid of them. They are worth 1.4 million each AFAIK. They may also have special parts that can't be disposed of in a general way. I thought I read those were the first Ballard test buses in service anywhere so maybe someone at Ballard would be interested in them. So there are no #5800's around? I thought CFD was interested in one, but I never heard what became of it. There's also that #4900 that's been retrofitted into a police/terrorist command bus. I wonder what happened to it?

They may have cost that, but they certainly aren't worth that. Also, IIRC, there was a solicitation to convert them to diesel, but that went nowhere.*

On New Flyer's front, apparently the fuel cell bus idea remained dormant until the 2010 Olympics (Press Release).

5750 had posted pictures of a 5800 converted by CFD to basically an oxygen dispensing emergency center.

*We had also earlier surmised what that would mean for the two battery buses, if their 1 year trial turns out similar to the fuel cell ones.