More Bus Moves

sw4400

Huh that's weird. I wonder what happened to the Olive harvey buses? One is still in service and the other ones a work bus. Also if #500-#502 is at south shops, what is 77th using for Optimas? #519 is the last one left over there.

I haven't tried to get information about the Olive Harvey busses because I'm not an expert on that. I don't why the Optimas are going back and forth to 77th in which I'm really confused about it. As far as #519, it might be one of the two in the back by the fence adjacent to 77th Street.

I got the Olive harvey info from Andrethebusman. It must be two others. Are you sure the 77th optimas are not tied to the garage and not the shop? I guess I'll have start scanning my 43's. Lol!!

Lol wow! Most of the Optimas are in the front parked by the fence adjacent to 79th Street. I can't declare what's going to happen to them in the future and I don't know why #501 is inside the shop.

Forum Members,

What would you do to combat the dirty buses and "L" cars & how would you deal with the 24-hr. homeless hotels that are the Blue and Red Lines? Smoking, illicit drug use, personal bathroom use, sleeping on trains, etc.... put yourselves in the CTA President's shoes and share your insight.... right now CTA says they don't want to be overly critical of "loitering" on CTA property, but want to keep trains clean... :huh:

Sadly, the $1.4 million 5000-Series currently being delivered are turning into $1.4 million potty sheds slowly on the Red Line. Yes, they can be disinfected, but this shouldn't be... CTA should remove homeless or have CPD remove them if reports of defecation come in to the Rail Operator. It'll cause delays, but that is a health hazard if allowed constantly. As it stands now, it seems CTA will not remove them, even at the end of the lines.

Story

The unfortunate truth is that CTA does not have the resources to enforce current rules [like no soliciting for example]. Also, I have the feeling that CPD does not place evicting homeless people a high priority (unless they commit violent crimes).

Forum Members,

What would you do to combat the dirty buses and "L" cars & how would you deal with the 24-hr. homeless hotels that are the Blue and Red Lines? Smoking, illicit drug use, personal bathroom use, sleeping on trains, etc.... put yourselves in the CTA President's shoes and share your insight.... right now CTA says they don't want to be overly critical of "loitering" on CTA property, but want to keep trains clean... :huh:

Sadly, the $1.4 million 5000-Series currently being delivered are turning into $1.4 million potty sheds slowly on the Red Line. Yes, they can be disinfected, but this shouldn't be... CTA should remove homeless or have CPD remove them if reports of defecation come in to the Rail Operator. It'll cause delays, but that is a health hazard if allowed constantly. As it stands now, it seems CTA will not remove them, even at the end of the lines.

Story

The unfortunate truth is that CTA does not have the resources to enforce current rules [like no soliciting for example]. Also, I have the feeling that CPD does not place evicting homeless people a high priority (unless they commit violent crimes).

And there is also the factor that they're already trying to walk the tightrope of balancing keeping homeless people from staying on the trains long enough to use them as rolling Port-A-Potties and being seen by some in the Chicago community as being overly cruel to the least fortunate in our city during what has been shaping up to be a very nasty winter season. So the issue is a lot more complicated than a sentiment that a bunch of homeless bums are messing the brand new pretty trains.

I think the CTA has their priorities wrong... they disciplined over a dozen Rail Operators for dirty rail cars!?! Um.... I believe that is what the janitors are for!!! They have the waste bags and the tools to clean up dirty rail cars with food and drink spilled throughout(not to mention some bodily waste). I think Union Chief Kelly has a leg to stand on in this argument.

Story

Probably most are concerned with the dirty salt laid floors. I have to admit the buses and trains do look nasty, but what are you going to do? You are fighting the elements. These new rehabbed buses are coming out with floors like that, but not as bad, so at least someone is cleaning the buses during rehab. I don't buy that buses are being mopped every 16 days though. Usually what cleans those floors unfortunately is a good rainstorm with people tracking in the water.

They claim that the salt is no good for lifts on the bus, with people tracking this in I'm surprised they don't have more lift problems, but the weather is not really good for wheelchairs or strollers either. BTW, I've been noticing some gunk on these new rehab bus seats they are putting in the buses. What are they doing getting the glue for the seats on the seat?

I wonder if it is a possibility for the CTA to be more active in removing homeless from the trains, but then take some retired buses, drive them to certain places, and use them as warming buses? Perhaps with heat powered by large batteries, so that the engine isn't running all the time? I'd think there would be organizations that would help fund and staff these "warming buses". This way they could reduce the problem of homeless staying on trains and "relieving themselves" aboard, and at the same time, improve their image to the community. Maybe a porta-potty near the warming bus too?

I wonder if it is a possibility for the CTA to be more active in removing homeless from the trains, but then take some retired buses, drive them to certain places, and use them as warming buses? Perhaps with heat powered by large batteries, so that the engine isn't running all the time? I'd think there would be organizations that would help fund and staff these "warming buses". This way they could reduce the problem of homeless staying on trains and "relieving themselves" aboard, and at the same time, improve their image to the community. Maybe a porta-potty near the warming bus too?

Only problem is most retired buses have been through the scrapper and no longer exist. What handful that's survived as work buses are in no condition to transport people outside of the maintenance personnel who use them as the seats on those buses have most likely been removed to make remain for the crews' work equipment.

Guess what? There have been reassignments between 77th and Forest Glen starting yesterday: 77th gave back 6819 and some of the 6820s to FG while 77th picked up 1258-1265 from both FG and NP. In addition, FG's routes today do not appear to use any New Flyers assigned to that garage (or FG might have lost all of its remaining NFs to other garages).

In addition to the above, Kedzie picked up 4321 and 4322 from 103rd as of yesterday. (4320 is still at 103rd, running on the #6.)

Finally, today three of the five artic garages (77th, Chicago, North Park) held their artics back from service. Only Kedzie and 103rd are running artics this morning.

Guess what? There have been reassignments between 77th and Forest Glen starting yesterday: 77th gave back 6819 and some of the 6820s to FG while 77th picked up 1258-1265 from both FG and NP. In addition, FG's routes today do not appear to use any New Flyers assigned to that garage (or FG might have lost all of its remaining NFs to other garages).

In addition to the above, Kedzie picked up 4321 and 4322 from 103rd as of yesterday. (4320 is still at 103rd, running on the #6.)

Finally, today three of the five artic garages (77th, Chicago, North Park) held their artics back from service. Only Kedzie and 103rd are running artics this morning.

1246-1247, 1258-1265 (10) FG to 77th, 6819-6828 (10) 77th to FG

And I thought I was only one that witness that. I spotted it at Central/Harrison Terminal about an hour ago.

I see they're back to acting as if south side doesn't have crowded routes. The artic count at 103rd and 77th garages are so low at this point they can only cover one or 2 routes with them seeing as the routes that use them use a hefty amount forcing them to neglect the other routes that need them.

I don't know for sure, but I bet it was some sort of trial to determine if they wanted them for some later series.

That can be reasonable but the whole entire fleet is dominated with 6468s and InSights. It's crazy how Nova had 3 different types of seats i.e. 6468s, Metropolitan (#6409), and I don't know what kind of seats #6673 have.

I don't know if this means anything but if you look under the vendors receiving CTA payments on the CTA website, CTA has started making payments on 1/31/14 to novabus on the nova smart lfs bus contract. Would they make payments on something that they don't have? Curious enough they have yet to make a payment on the all electric Excelsiors from New Flyer.

"officially", and I say this with some trepidation as this has less and less to do with reality it seems, there are 7 500's that are out of service: 503,506, 514, 515, 516, 529, 532

"Live" ones are as follows:

77th 500-502, 504, 518-522

103rd 505, 507-513, 517

Forest Glen - 523-528, 530, 531, 533-544

I've been BusTracking the Optimas periodically since late October. It looks as if the number of Optimas actually in service is far fewer than the ones still on the official roster. BusHunter has suggested that the idle ones may be kept on hand for parts which are no longer being ordered. Makes sense. Anyway, here's what's been showing up on BusTracker:

77th: Nothing since early January. Before then, 500, 502, 504, & 519 (4)

103rd: 505, 508-509, 511-512, & 517 (6)

FG: 525-527, 530, 533-534, 536, & 539-540 (9)

• Upvote 2

Actually I spotted and rode 4119 briefly on the 146, but yeah for the most part NP has parked its artics again this weekend. It seems the weekend pattern is if the weather is or has been dicey, the artics get parked while on better weather weekends the routes that normally see artics on a weekend run about 50/50 between artics and forty footers.