More Bus Moves

sw4400

If your child becomes a repeat offender like that, the first responsibility is on the parent. Now, if it is something else like someone getting shot for dissing a gang or while trying to make a buck shoveling snow, that's something else.

Valid point, but I don't think his worry was that any of his kids would become some sort of juvenile repeat offenders as much as there is the natural worry that a child will be influenced by some form of negative peer pressure in doing something dumb that gets him arrested for a first time. But gatmon does have a point that this city is lacking in giving teenagers something constructive to do with their free time out of mom or dad's presence. Let's be real that parents can't be everywhere or with their kids 100% of the time. Kids do have to go to school, and parents do have to work.

Valid point, but I don't think his worry was that any of his kids would become some sort of juvenile repeat offenders as much as there is the natural worry that a child will be influenced by some form of negative peer pressure in doing something dumb that gets him arrested for a first time. But gatmon does have a point that this city is lacking in giving teenagers something constructive to do with their free time out of mom or dad's presence. Let's be real that parents can't be everywhere or with their kids 100% of the time. Kids do have to go to school, and parents do have to work.

And it's hard enough already when I have to travel back and forth from the west suburbs to the south side just to see my kids without dealing with inadvertent altercations or randomly getting shot. A solid point indeed from you.

I boarded the Red Line northbound at Cermak sometime between 7:20 and 7:30pm. When the train arrived [didn't get the run #] I got on car 5247 [which was empty at the time]. Leaving the station I surmised why the car was empty. There was a STRONG odor of FECES in the car :angry: . I changed cars at Roosevelt.When I got to Howard I told the operator who guessed that was why people were running from car to car. :( I don't know if a gallon of Pine Sol would take car of that smell.

I boarded the Red Line northbound at Cermak sometime between 7:20 and 7:30pm. When the train arrived [didn't get the run #] I got on car 5247 [which was empty at the time]. Leaving the station I surmised why the car was empty. There was a STRONG odor of FECES in the car :angry: . I changed cars at Roosevelt.When I got to Howard I told the operator who guessed that was why people were running from car to car. :( I don't know if a gallon of Pine Sol would take car of that smell.

Well, the newspapers warned the paying passengers.

There should be caution signs on the stations of the Blue and Red Line for this reason...

CAUTION: If A Railcar Is Empty, DO NOT BOARD IT!!! Write Down The Car # And Contact The Rail Operator As Soon As Possible

Thank You For Riding The CTA

This disgusts me about brand new cars assigned from the manufacturer to the Red/Blue Lines. They go to s**t right away(pun intended in this case). You don't hear much about the urination and defecation problems on any other lines but these two. CTA doesn't seem to want to toss off the homeless, even at the end of the lines at Forest Park and O-Hare(Blue) and Howard and 95th(Red). The only times they will is when it's time to pull the trains into their respective rail yards for the night. I believe an article in the past about it said they felt bad doing so, but I guess they feel it's ok to have human waste on their railcars daily.

There should be caution signs on the stations of the Blue and Red Line for this reason...

CAUTION: If A Railcar Is Empty, DO NOT BOARD IT!!! Write Down The Car # And Contact The Rail Operator As Soon As Possible

This disgusts me about brand new cars assigned from the manufacturer to the Red/Blue Lines. They go to s**t right away(pun intended in this case). You don't hear much about the urination and defecation problems on any other lines but these two. CTA doesn't seem to want to toss off the homeless, even at the end of the lines at Forest Park and O-Hare(Blue) and Howard and 95th(Red). The only times they will is when it's time to pull the trains into their respective rail yards for the night. I believe an article in the past about it said they felt bad doing so, but I guess they feel it's ok to have human waste on their railcars daily.

The problem is that CTA personnel are not enforcing the rules when it comes to passengers going from one train to another at the end of the line whether they're homeless or not. By law in the city, a passenger cannot go from one train to another at the end of the line without re-entering the station through the turnstiles unless he or she is transferring to another line (Howard).

And again the CTA is already in a Catch-22 with this issue, nor is it as simple as you're making it out to be. You want to keep trying to write this off as the CTA doesn't care that some of the homeless have been using railcars of ALL models (why keep venting your outrage only about the new cars getting messed up?) getting used as rolling Port-A-Potties. But you can't ignore that we're talking about the two busiest rail lines on the system in most of the cases. Nor can you keep overlooking that this has been one of the more brutal winters we've seen in decades resulting in even more homeless passengers riding the rails in attempts to stay warm, that CTA has been doing more outreach to relevant social agencies for help in trying to convince homeless riders to make use of shelters and other social services, and that the other passengers of the system pretend not to see a homeless rider until after that rider has committed the offensive act and don't make a move to alert the train operator that a car has been defecated and/or urinated in. As mentioned by other members and CTA officials themselves, the operator can deactivate the controls on that car to keep passengers from boarding it. The two busiest lines on the system, yet no one ever sees a person peeing and/or defecating at the doors of a rail car? There is the Facebook photo you linked that someone had snapped of the lady peeing right there on the floor of the car. But who hit took that call button to tell the operator when obviously there was time to snap of photo of it happening? In Gene's example, everyone else kept hopping from that car to other cars but never alerted the operator so he could've kept from opening the doors on that car letting folks in and thus avoiding the musical cheers with that car. And the minute the CTA moves to kick homeless folks of the trains in this very brutal winter, and you've got every homeless activist you can think of as well as members of the general populist going to the nearest newspaper and TV news station lodging complaints that the CTA is being insensitive to the plight of the homeless. So seriously, what more do you expect the CTA to be able to do with this situation?

• You work in a business that serves the public. Do you have a sign saying "if this Jewel is empty, there is Mariano's to serve you in Roscoe Village?" Or is it "cleanup in aisle 5?"
  • As the above indicates, it is CTA's responsibility to maintain the premises.
  • Pretty soon, the hobos win and there is no car in which one can board, except...
  • I'm sure a good number of CTA riders can't read, or there wouldn't be stuff like the picture of the open car end door.

In the search to find a Nova LFS Smart Bus pic for my Bus Rosters page, I came across a few interesting ones of #6572. What caught my eye is there are no logos whatsoever on the bus, just the blue and red striping. Any idea when this pic might've been from and where???

Not sure about the when.... But i'm guessing it's either at 77th/South Shops or NP seeing as there's an NABI mixed in along the Novas and those are the only 2 garages to have both Nova's and Artics at the same place. (would've seen a lot of 1000's and 500's if it was K or 103rd. or maybe even some 4400's and 5300's if the pic's that old).

In the search to find a Nova LFS Smart Bus pic for my Bus Rosters page, I came across a few interesting ones of #6572. What caught my eye is there are no logos whatsoever on the bus, just the blue and red striping. Any idea when this pic might've been from and where???

That bus was used for filming Stranger than Fiction.

It was in a movie can't think of the name but I know will ferrel and Emma stone star in it

It starred Emma Thompson, not Stone.

The fact that there is a NABI parked next to those other Novas means the when definitely would have been at least six years ago.

Not sure about the when.... But i'm guessing it's either at 77th/South Shops or NP seeing as there's an NABI mixed in along the Novas and those are the only 2 garages to have both Nova's and Artics at the same place. (would've seen a lot of 1000's and 500's if it was K or 103rd. or maybe even some 4400's and 5300's if the pic's that old).

The garage in question would have likely been 77th since that's the only garage that had Novas and NABIs within the same facility. KedziePink's mention that the movie everyone was trying to guess had this bus prominently in a scene was Stranger Than Fiction pretty much confirms the when part. The where definitely would not have been North Park because North Park is an outside garage facility for one thing and didn't get Novas until the 6000s were retired along with the closure of Archer Garage in 2010, two full years after the NABIs got pulled from service and also considering that NP originally had 6688-6707 only before 6688 went to 74th and a few of those others got traded for 64xx's meaning NP would not have had 6572. And it wouldn't have been Kedzie either because Kedzie never had Novas until 2008 during that few days of emergency loans of Novas because the NABIs got pulled so quickly that infamous day. The above mentioned movie debuted two years earlier in 2006.

Can anybody explain to me how in world there were SEVEN westbound 79th busses (One went to the garage) in less than a 5 minute span by the Red Line around 9:30 this morning????

thats not TOO unusual lol. with buses every 3-6 minutes and the way 79th jams up you're gonna see them bunch up like that a lot. plus, nearly every main street/route that crosses 79th drops off some of the biggest crowds for 79th causing longer dwell times adding a bit to the bunching.

1234 was on the 3 yesterday (Wednesday).

Spotted artics 4111 and 4112 on the 66 on Columbus headed to Navy Pier this morning.

In addition to what was mentioned about 4111 and 4112 being reassigned to Chicago Garage at the start of the winter pick (77th also gave up half its 4300s to Chicago in that shift of artics to Chicago by the way), FG apparently had gotten the 1230s last week in another one of those 10 for 10 trades between 77th and FG in which 77th picked up NFs from FG in exchange for 6800s from 77th. That particular set of mini trades seems to have stopped though when FG's NF count dropped to about 38 or 39.

In addition to what was mentioned about 4111 and 4112 being reassigned to Chicago Garage at the start of the winter pick (77th also gave up half its 4300s to Chicago in that shift of artics to Chicago by the way), FG apparently had gotten the 1230s last week in another one of those 10 for 10 trades between 77th and FG in which 77th picked up NFs from FG in exchange for 6800s from 77th. That particular set of mini trades seems to have stopped though when FG's NF count dropped to about 38 or 39.

Those 10-for-10 mini-trades have occurred over the past two weekends. Somehow I can't imagine that there would be a third one this time around. But who knows. Last week's trades occurred overnight Friday into Saturday. So I guess we should probably know one way or the other tomorrow.

Those 10-for-10 mini-trades have occurred over the past two weekends. Somehow I can't imagine that there would be a third one this time around. But who knows. Last week's trades occurred overnight Friday into Saturday. So I guess we should probably know one way or the other tomorrow.

Oops I slightly misspoke up there, but it was still enough to change the meaning of what I intended to say. I meant to the last mini trade was last weekend rather than last week.