More Bus Moves

sw4400

One other thing that came to mind as far as the NFs that came to from 74th, is it possible that those moves are temporary so they can rehab those buses? Based on BusHunter's list compiled from our observations of what's been rehabbed, only 1158 was rehabbed. It struck me as odd that they would start among the 1150s at 74th to swap. Plus beyond what I posed above that the 74th might be first for Smart Buses, it also struck me as strange that all of a sudden no matter how temporary they would make a move that results in 74th being three quarters Novas (roughly half of them the oldest junk) if they did make 77th all NF.

One other thing that came to mind as far as the NFs that came to from 74th, is it possible that those moves are temporary so they can rehab those buses? Based on BusHunter's list compiled from our observations of what's been rehabbed, only 1158 was rehabbed. It struck me as odd that they would start among the 1150s at 74th to swap. Plus beyond what I posed above that the 74th might be first for Smart Buses, it also struck me as strange that all of a sudden no matter how temporary they would make a move that results in 74th being three quarters Novas (roughly half of them the oldest junk) if they did make 77th all NF.

#1158 on #87

post-1364-0-08795700-1393714225_thumb.pn

#1158 on #87

That scratches my other thought. The question now is how far will they go in making 74th more Nova and temporarily increasing its average bus age with the oldest junk from 77th? They soon may not be able to park all the Novas at 74th during the owl periods if they tip the scales too far. As it stands right now, they give the Novas a break during owl service down at 74th. Tip the balance beyond a certain point and there is no other choice but to work 74th assigned 6400 series buses harder than they've had to.

That scratches my other thought. The question now is how far will they go in making 74th more Nova and temporarily increasing its average bus age with the oldest junk from 77th?

Something is not adding up why some 74th's New Flyers are infiltrating 77th if Forest Glen is pretty much getting back their 6800s Novas. It has to be another garage involved with this. By the way, #6478 is operating #56 right now and #1155 is on #4. Also #1156 is on #8 and #6400 is on #44 right now.

post-1364-0-61596000-1393714839_thumb.pn

post-1364-0-09919600-1393715040_thumb.pn

post-1364-0-39758900-1393715309_thumb.pn

post-1364-0-10402000-1393715517_thumb.pn

Something is not adding up why some 74th's New Flyers are infiltrating 77th if Forest Glen is pretty much getting back their 6800s Novas. It has to be another garage involved with this. By the way, #6478 is operating #56 right now and #1155 is on #4.

The only reason it struck me as odd that they would start going after 74th's NFs at all is because they had already decreased 77th's Nova count down to a more manageable number for replacement for when the 7900s do start getting delivered. Plus by 74th having the primarily the 6600s among the old Novas, it could have waited longer like Forest Glen before getting any of the 7900s. This move kind of throws a monkey wrench in that now.

The only reason it struck me as odd that they would start going after 74th's NFs at all is because they had already decreased 77th's Nova count down to a more manageable number for replacement for when the 7900s do start getting delivered. Plus by 74th having the primarily the 6600s among the old Novas, it could have waited longer like Forest Glen before getting any of the 7900s. This move kind of throws a monkey wrench in that now.

If you do the math, I think that 77th will have first dibs at the 7900s. #6408 is on #62 and #6403 on #63 right now.

If you do the math, I think that 77th will have first dibs at the 7900s. #6408 is on #62 and #6403 on #63 right now.

That's only if they stop trading out their 6400s. If they trade them off to 74th, then that might fall to 74th. And they also create a possible odd temporary situation where 6400 series are operating side by side for a while with 7900s while 7900s are getting delivered elsewhere.

I think as more of the transfers happen it's getting less likely 77th will be getting new buses. They appear to be getting 74th's #1100's now, maybe all of them in time. Looks like 74th, if they were to pick up #6400's are a strong candidate for new buses, but as fg keeps picking up older buses sw's case is being made that they need to start out there. Fg will now most likely be up to 60 first year novas and it's possible for them to have 80 after the spring pick. Anyway how can they justify 12 year old buses all at one garage. I hate to say this but fg was doing better when they had the optimas.Lol!!

I think as more of the transfers happen it's getting less likely 77th will be getting new buses. They appear to be getting 74th's #1100's now, maybe all of them in time. Looks like 74th, if they were to pick up #6400's are a strong candidate for new buses, but as fg keeps picking up older buses sw's case is being made that they need to start out there. Fg will now most likely be up to 60 first year novas and it's possible for them to have 80 after the spring pick. Anyway how can they justify 12 year old buses all at one garage. I hate to say this but fg was doing better when they had the optimas.Lol!!

LOL and we know that last part of your quote is saying a lot. But they're also starting to put 74th in as bad a situation on the average bus age scale if they take the swapping there as far as you posed. 74th was doing fine with the split it had before this morning and still doing fine so far. Take away all the 1100s there for first gen Novas and they bring 74th to roughly 190 buses at the 12 year or more mark like what's happened to FG. Plus they still have to get FG set up with more buses as you've been pointing out if it's to take on the 76 again for the first time in 20 years. (And I forgot to apologize for misreading your post on how they could get what they need in that respect by the way)

My question is why didn't they wait until Spring Pick which is less then a month away?

This makes me think this is semi rehab moves. I say that because of ex FG busses have been rehabbed. I wonder if they will return to FG after all are done.

Something is not adding up why some 74th's New Flyers are infiltrating 77th if Forest Glen is pretty much getting back their 6800s Novas. It has to be another garage involved with this. By the way, #6478 is operating #56 right now and #1155 is on #4. Also #1156 is on #8 and #6400 is on #44 right now.

I tell you garmon, it's good you put up #6478 as evidence to what your saying, because I haven't seen any evidence of what FG got from 77th. They must be holding those in so far. Plus when you said #6478 was on the #56, #6498 was on the same route and I thought you confused those. But your pictures confirm what your saying. i guess I'm in shock Fg got #6400's LOL!!

Btw, my rosters are updated for what we know so far (page 11 of the cta bus garage rosters)

I can almost assure you that 74th will be the 1st garage to get the new Novas. They did the press there for one but also my opinion is strongly based on the routes 74th has. They have some of the roughest routes in the city and the new shields or as they called them in reports on the news and in articles "barriers" will really be helpful to the operators who have to deal with some of the more aggressive passengers. Those shields will come in handy as an operator. Then I believe FG will get them next considering they have the most Novas of course then Chicago after a while. 77th will probably be the last to get the new buses considering they just got the bulk of the new artics and it seems like they are getting rid of their Novas for New Flyers.

I can almost assure you that 74th will be the 1st garage to get the new Novas. They did the press there for one....

Historically, that hasn't been a sign, but given all the gladhanding by Claypool and the crew with the drivers reflected on the Facebook page, I doubt that was only to say "ha ha, no bus for you."

But basically, given the long routes CTA has, any garage has buses that go through bad areas. I would have thought more K in that regard.

I tell you garmon, it's good you put up #6478 as evidence to what your saying, because I haven't seen any evidence of what FG got from 77th. They must be holding those in so far. Plus when you said #6478 was on the #56, #6498 was on the same route and I thought you confused those. But your pictures confirm what your saying. i guess I'm in shock Fg got #6400's LOL!!

Btw, my rosters are updated for what we know so far (page 11 of the cta bus garage rosters)

This puts more fact to the possibility that FG will be one of the first(if not the first) to get 7900's come late April/early May.

Historically, that hasn't been a sign, but given all the gladhanding by Claypool and the crew with the drivers reflected on the Facebook page, I doubt that was only to say "ha ha, no bus for you."

But basically, given the long routes CTA has, any garage has buses that go through bad areas. I would have thought more K in that regard.

No 74th's routes go through rougher neighborhoods than Kedzie on average.

This puts more fact to the possibility that FG will be one of the first(if not the first) to get 7900's come late April/early May.

Strengthens the possibility is probably a better way of saying it since there's no actual fact to anything until it's actually seen to happen. At any rate, you really can't say that unless we see more evidence of what BusHunter alluded to, namely that perhaps there is going to be some form of split of the oldest Novas between 74th and FG, 74th in a Nova for NF trade and FG as a net increase to get up to what they need to be able to operate the 76 in the coming spring pick since FG has nothing left to trade unless they traded 6500s or 6700s which wouldn't make very much sense outside of positioning FG up the list for 7900s. But you may have something there, since I really can't see them wanting to load 74th with close to 190 buses 12 plus years in age and having no shields for the next two months before 7900s start getting delivered en masse. Imagine the reaction from 74th's operators in that particular scenario. "You guys may be first to get these new buses with the extra number of cameras and tougher operator shields. But the catch is for at least one or two months your garage has to operate with three quarters of the oldest model that have no shields at all."

Not if the 6400s are going to 74th and the 6800s to FG.

Yes but fg is traveling a close second and it's average bus age is older. Right now fg is short buses according to the roster. Most likely they got all the #6470's from 77th which would put them at 70 first year buses. Add 20 to that and they are most likely stuck with 90 first year novas. 74th only has 100 first year novas and worst of all fg doesn't have nf's to fall back on. Currently as it stands they need to go even odd fg and 74th. I would only go exclusively 74th if they indeed lost the #1100's to 77th. Then that would put 74th at 150 first year novas.

I can almost assure you that 74th will be the 1st garage to get the new Novas. They did the press there for one but also my opinion is strongly based on the routes 74th has. They have some of the roughest routes in the city and the new shields or as they called them in reports on the news and in articles "barriers" will really be helpful to the operators who have to deal with some of the more aggressive passengers. Those shields will come in handy as an operator. Then I believe FG will get them next considering they have the most Novas of course then Chicago after a while. 77th will probably be the last to get the new buses considering they just got the bulk of the new artics and it seems like they are getting rid of their Novas for New Flyers.

No 74th's routes go through rougher neighborhoods than Kedzie on average.

No matter how much misconception you both put in towards 74th, all garages have some of the roughest routes in this city. No exceptions!!!

Thanks but I feel that it was a senseless decision to have 77th coming in taking some of 74th's New Flyers in exchange of these crappy (expletive) Novas so they can feel so damn good about getting a lot of New Flyers! What's next on their agenda? Targeting Chicago or Kedzie for some of their New Flyers???

How do you think us nw siders feel. Were six buses away from wondering what a nf looks like!! Lol!! If they are going as far as taking #1090's from fg then it's probably not out of the question to take the #1100's too from 74th. I wonder if they have enough buses would they consider making chicago all nf. They only have 61 buses anyway. Hmm if 74th loses the #1100's would the rest of 74th's new flyers cover chicago garage? Then they would have a true consolidation system.

No matter how much misconception you both put in towards 74th, all garages have some of the roughest routes in this city. No exceptions!!!

Ok time to calm down sir. I think you're taking the whole thing WAAAAYYYYY too seriously there. Nobody said 74th buses were going through the war zone of World War III, but you still have to be real that Englewood is not exactly a worry free paradise.

• Upvote 1

How do you think us nw siders feel. Were six buses away from wondering what a nf looks like!! Lol!! If they are going as far as taking #1090's from fg then it's probably not out of the question to take the #1100's too from 74th. I wonder if they have enough buses would they consider making chicago all nf. They only have 61 buses anyway. Hmm if 74th loses the #1100's would the rest of 74th's new flyers cover chicago garage? Then they would have a true consolidation system.

Oh no. Not the ridiculous considation idea again. It was stupid when Huberman though it up. And it's stupid now. All operators should at least know how to drive each of the system's bus models when possible. And the maintenance crews should be familiar with how to repair each of them.

• Upvote 1

I agree all garages do have rough routes but I'm saying some more than others. Most of 74th are in the englewood neighborhood and trust me it's rough over there and I should know Growing up in englewood there and riding the routes as much as I did as a kid that's all I'm saying. But of course we'll definitely find out once the 7900's start to arrive but I'm sticking with 74th being the 1st to get them.