More Bus Moves

sw4400

How common are artics on the #52? I managed to catch one yesterday afternoon (#4023). I took a picture of it at Kedzie/28th (attached below), but I was in a rush, so the shot came out really crappy. Sorry. :P

There's also a picture of the interior, showing exactly when the photo was taken.

post-1473-0-12738500-1393913139_thumb.jp

post-1473-0-51489800-1393913257_thumb.jp

A weird artic sighting I'm trying to figure out was an artic at Clemente HS on Division today about a half block east of western facing west. Now was that a #49 school run or a #70 school run. Also #4395 was out on North ave last night. I haven't seen an artic before last night on the #72.

I've decided to take some better shots of various busses while it was still daylight and some after sunset.

1. and 3. #6568

4. GM New Look #9701 yet to be scrapped.

5. 6. and 7. 2 stripped New Flyer 5800s.

8. #6531 indicating no brakes on the windshield.

9. Some GM New Looks (1962 and 1972) and a Flxible (1969) in the back #301 #1251 and #3706

10. #6531 with the wheelchair ramp left open (weird).

11. A work bus Flxible (3300s???(1966???)).

12. A damn well lucky shot of various buses on the top of a iced snow hill by the fence (Two Flxibles 6000s (6043 and 6227), a couple of Flxibles 5300s, a lime-green GM New Look, a narrow TMC RTS 4900s, and a couple of New Flyers 1000s). All yet to be scrapped except for the New Flyers.

13. A 77th New Flyer at the cleaning station.

14. #1160 on it's way to the garage while dealing with a flat tire.

15. and 16. Police activity involving the bus driver on #4355 (I don't know why).

Great shots, garmon.... so great it pains me to say what I'm about to, but I have to throw a flag on a photo...

#5,6 & 7... the stripped 5800-Series New Flyers... #5 I can make out as a 5800-Series... #6 looks like a 5800-Series???... but #7 is where the flag has to be thrown down...

I've rode the 5800's for the longest time(#11, #22, even #80 for a brief time when FG had some), and while getting their Detroit Series-50 engines rebuilt and some getting LED destination signs, one thing they never got or had was the blue grooved floors. They always had the black grooved floors like the 4400-Series, 5300-Series and 6000-Series buses had. Perhaps this might be a Nova??? that was retired early... #6832 was the bus that hit the viaduct and killed the operator if memory serves(that pretty much decimated that front end on impact I'm sure), perhaps #7 is this Nova that may still be on property??? I know #6738 was retired early for something pretty big too and it's still there(pic #2).

I like the pictures and the time you spent to get them, and I'm sorry to bring it up... but I don't ever remember the 5800-Series New Flyers having blue grooved floors, and they were part of my daily rides for years out of NP.

post-10-0-67429200-1393918442_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

He probably meant to say stripped 5900s. If they were Novas, the very last left side window would be narrow in width due to the vertical motor assembly that Novas used to have before getting the more traditional arrangement that they now have today like other buses.

Great shots, garmon.... so great it pains me to say what I'm about to, but I have to throw a flag on a photo...

#5,6 & 7... the stripped 5800-Series New Flyers... #5 I can make out as a 5800-Series... #6 looks like a 5800-Series???... but #7 is where the flag has to be thrown down...

I've rode the 5800's for the longest time(#11, #22, even #80 for a brief time when FG had some), and while getting their Detroit Series-50 engines rebuilt and some getting LED destination signs, one thing they never got or had was the blue grooved floors. They always had the black grooved floors like the 4400-Series, 5300-Series and 6000-Series buses had. Perhaps this might be a Nova??? that was retired early... #6832 was the bus that hit the viaduct and killed the operator if memory serves(that pretty much decimated that front end on impact I'm sure), perhaps #7 is this Nova that may still be on property??? I know #6738 was retired early for something pretty big too and it's still there(pic #2).

I like the pictures and the time you spent to get them, and I'm sorry to bring it up... but I don't ever remember the 5800-Series New Flyers having blue grooved floors, and they were part of my daily rides for years out of NP.

He probably meant to say stripped 5900s. If they were Novas, the very last left side window would be narrow in width due to the vertical motor assembly that Novas used to have before getting the more traditional arrangement that they now have today like other buses.

You know what sw, you're absolutely right! It's #5 with a stripped unknown Nova (it's not #6832 because it's still in the yard)!!! Thanks for checking up on that man! jajaun, the 5900s are still in the yard unscrapped. I don't know what in the world are they going to do with them....

You know what sw, you're absolutely right! It's #5 with a stripped unknown Nova (it's not #6832 because it's still in the yard)!!! Thanks for checking up on that man! jajaun, the 5900s are still in the yard unscrapped. I don't know what in the world are they going to do with them....

Minor mystery solved lol. (By the way sw, your constant use of double, triple, or quadruple punctuation as far as your use of question marks and exclamation points are concerned are a form of cyber-shouting similar to someone typing in all caps though not necessarily as strong as the caps.

Minor mystery solved lol. (By the way sw, your constant use of double, triple, or quadruple punctuation as far as your use of question marks and exclamation points are concerned are a form of cyber-shouting similar to someone typing in all caps though not necessarily as strong as the caps.

Everyone learned something new today. Thanks, jajuan! :)

How common are artics on the #52? I managed to catch one yesterday afternoon (#4023). I took a picture of it at Kedzie/28th (attached below), but I was in a rush, so the shot came out really crappy. Sorry. :P

There's also a picture of the interior, showing exactly when the photo was taken.

I've seen a 4300 or two everytime i've been on

kedzie ever since the last one or two picks. Seems pretty common to me lol.

Now I'm going to wonder what bus this is... let's take a look at what's out of service that has blue floors that hasn't been mentioned in your gallery, garmon...

Nova LFS

• 6832(you mention this one in your reply, but I don't see a pic of it in your day or night shots, the latter seem to not be in the thread now)

New Flyer D40LF(1000-Series)

I'm going to include these because there are a few not in service and unless for some reason the CTA wrote a few off, they should return to service after rehabs.

• 1482(this was the one with it's front right section sheared off running into a building, I believe).

It's not an artic rear section based on the fact there are two wheelwells(one near of the front and one in in the back. jajuan says the 6400's have a narrow window in the back based on the engine design, and he's 100% right). I was contemplating maybe this was a dissected NABI 60-LFW, which had blue grooved floors. This is going to be an interesting one to figure out... it has to be one of these ten buses mentioned. But which one? :huh:

Now I'm going to wonder what bus this is... let's take a look at what's out of service that has blue floors that hasn't been mentioned in your gallery, garmon...

Nova LFS

• 6832(you mention this one in your reply, but I don't see a pic of it in your day or night shots, the latter seem to not be in the thread now)

I'm going to include these because there are a few not in service and unless for some reason the CTA wrote a few off, they should return to service after rehabs.

• 1482(this was the one with it's front right section sheared off running into a building, I believe).

It's not an artic rear section based on the fact there are two wheelwells(one near of the front and one in in the back. jajuan says the 6400's have a narrow window in the back based on the engine design, and he's 100% right). I was contemplating maybe this was a dissected NABI 60-LFW, which had blue grooved floors. This is going to be an interesting one to figure out... it has to be one of these ten buses mentioned. But which one? :huh:

Well you know it's not #6420 (not enough damage), #6450 (too new), #6568, #6738, (both pictured) #6832 (accounted for), #6726 (I believe pictured somewhere else) and the design is that of a nova so....

My guess is it's either #6610 or #6522 and #6610 was reported to be a frontal collision.

Well you know it's not #6420 (not enough damage), #6450 (too new), #6568, #6738, (both pictured) #6832 (accounted for), #6726 (I believe pictured somewhere else) and the design is that of a nova so....

My guess is it's either #6610 or #6522 and #6610 was reported to be a frontal collision.

And, of course, 6832 was the one that was impaled on the overpass support, killing the driver. So that definitely was not it.

A weird artic sighting I'm trying to figure out was an artic at Clemente HS on Division today about a half block east of western facing west. Now was that a #49 school run or a #70 school run. Also #4395 was out on North ave last night. I haven't seen an artic before last night on the #72.

I'm guessing it's Chicago throwing the few artics it has outside of what 66 to some of its other crowded routes. Same way 77th does by sending whatever is left after 79th to routes 2, 3, 4, & 8. I see this next artic order being split between Chicago, 77th, 103rd and 74th (if they get upgrades). Kedzie and NP should be done at this point. Maybe keep 70 artics at each of those garages since they hold some pretty heavy routes. That way they could have enough to give better coverage to routes 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 20, 26, 29, 34, 49, 53, 55, 56?, 63, 65?, 72, 74, 77 (maybe Chicago and Kedzie could contribute some runs), 80, 81, 87, 119 and some of what feeds 95th and Dan Ryan. That way most of the busy arterial routes and school runs could relieve some crowds.

Nova LFS

And, of course, 6832 was the one that was impaled on the overpass support, killing the driver. So that definitely was not it.

It may have to be #6610 guys because #6522 and #6832 are still in the yard. #6726 stripes were stripped in the front but not on the sides. #1305 is in between #9701 and BW-57. #1468 is still in the front of the shop facing 79th. I haven't seen #1482 and probably won't. The two New Flyers in my picture: One of them have the "transitchicago.com" decal (It's hard to see that though) and the other one is unknown but they both are probably rehabbed or in the rehabilitation process.

Somewhere they are going to have to address the Ashland BRT storage issue anyway. I would think those would head to 74th, but you never know 77th has lots of room.

Unless you are Streetsblog (and I know you are not), no, but I still contend the 9 and 49 need artics. However, the hoist on which 7900 was posed didn't look like it needed work, and 74th was not on any of the construction reports on the hoist project. So, unless something else is happening, it doesn't look like my contention works out.

Since the original garage shift was because 74th was underutilized, your scenario would basically imply that essentially the rest of the south side would have to be assigned to it.

You'll land a couple every other day, but they aren't rare.

Spotted #4378 on #74 @ Fullerton/Central.

Thats a busy Chicago Garage route thats been getting some of the artics left after all the operators for 66 pull theirs out along with 65, 72. I'm betting more are going to show up on those routes along with the #20 Madison whenever C gets more. Im actually surprised one didnt show up on Madison by now lol.

Thats a busy Chicago Garage route thats been getting some of the artics left after all the operators for 66 pull theirs out along with 65, 72. I'm betting more are going to show up on those routes along with the #20 Madison whenever C gets more. Im actually surprised one didnt show up on Madison by now lol.

That's going to be roughly tough for 77th and 103rd if they both keep on losing artics like that. Before some infiltrated Chicago, Chicago (previously Lawndale) wasn't known for having artics. Now on the other hand, I wouldn't mind see #20 with some during rush hours.

That's going to be roughly tough for 77th and 103rd if they both keep on losing artics like that. Before some infiltrated Chicago, Chicago (previously Lawndale) wasn't known for having artics. Now on the other hand, I wouldn't mind see #20 with some during rush hours.

Well 77th and 103rd haven't lost anymore artics. Once Chicago got its complement for use primarily on the 66, that was pretty much it for those two losing any artics. Although 4340 found its way to Kedzie, if anything it was Kedzie saw any significant loss of artics recently when it lost most of its 4040s to NP to make up for what you reported seeing sitting out of service down at South Shops. If you remember we both commented that if Kedzie had to send any excess artics anywhere maybe 77th would have been a good spot to send the 4040s to make up for losses to Chicago at the start of winter pick, given North Park still would have been artic heavy even without replacement of what's down in the South Shops.

• Upvote 2

Well 77th and 103rd haven't lost anymore artics. Once Chicago got its complement for use primarily on the 66, that was pretty much it for those two losing any artics. Although 4340 found its way to Kedzie, if anything it was Kedzie saw any significant loss of artics recently when it lost most of its 4040s to NP to make up for what you reported seeing sitting out of service down at South Shops. If you remember we both commented that if Kedzie had to send any excess artics anywhere maybe 77th would have been a good spot to send the 4040s to make up for losses to Chicago at the start of winter pick, given North Park still would have been artic heavy even without replacement of what's down in the South Shops.

Well said mate. Kedzie is one of the garages with so many different changes of buses transitioning to other garages but I consider it a well organized garage.

Welcome aboard Blue Line run 130. At 9:30 in the morning really?!?!?! Lol

Not sure what's your point, as the Blue Line has 100s and 200s. Maybe it is early, or maybe it is something other than a block run?

Actually 103rd lost a few 4300's recently. And this next artic order pretty much has no place to go but Chicago, 77th, 103rd and maybe 74th if they do end up getting some upgrades to make them artic capable. If they do end up ordering 100-150 they could bring artic totals at those garages to around 70 (maybe more for 77th) and cover much more of the heavier routes across the grid that could use some.

Actually 103rd lost a few 4300's recently. And this next artic order pretty much has no place to go but Chicago, 77th, 103rd and maybe 74th if they do end up getting some upgrades to make them artic capable. If they do end up ordering 100-150 they could bring artic totals at those garages to around 70 (maybe more for 77th) and cover much more of the heavier routes across the grid that could use some.

When and to which garage? Because the last time I saw 103rd lose any artics was first immediately after the Dan Ryan leg of the Red Line reopened and 103rd gave up 4300s to make the 79 an artic route and again at the start of the winter pick in a net loss to Kedzie after the artic assignments were regrouped yet again to get artics on the 66. Both of those fall in line with my point that the south side has not lost any artics since the start of winter pick with the exception of 4340 making its way to Kedzie from 77th. As for the yet to be announced artic contract, I still say that I don't see the CTA going beyond 50 extra artics unless there is news that Ashland BRT becoming a reality moves into the realm of definitely going to happen from the present stuck in planning for the foreseeable future. Some the crowding issues on any remaining busy routes could easily be solved with what CTA has on hand already. For example North Park is sitting on 120 artics, so there is no reason why some of the NP runs on the can't be run with artics during busier times of that route's service. They want to keep this tendency going of keeping the NP express routes saturated with artics when I would contend at this point those routes are oversaturated given there have been plenty of times when I rode a 136 in the PM rush and spotted several trips of both the 135 and 136 with artics more often than not still barely half full by the time those buses made it to the final stops on Wacker before hitting the Drive. Those are cases where they can alternate artics with 40 foot buses and place those artics on other routes that NP operates or helps operate like the 49. Plus I think CTA management stays in fantasy land too often in the sense that they seem to forget they no longer have eight garages and in some cases struggling just to keep unused 40 footers housed in down time, therefore showing no real grasp that artic buses take up more storage room. Any further artic acquisitions do have to take into account the storage space issue. Plus things are a bit more complicated than oh we have a busy route so lets saturate it with artic buses. When are the times of day that a busy route sees its heaviest crowds? Is it along almost the whole route or just certain stretches?