More Bus Moves

sw4400

I wonder if Rail Operators really give a crap about the safety of their trains. A Loop-bound Brown Line train came into Damen yesterday, and I could smell the familiar odor of a stuck brake or a break smoldering. I tried to alert the operator, but he just was motioning me to enter the train. I didn't simply because he didn't seem to care, why should I board a train that might have to be evacuated if the issue isn't resolved and it escalates to a fire. He just continued south heading towards the Loop. The last time it happened, myself and several other passengers noted the car we were riding in was permeated with a smoky odor. The Rail Operator I told then put the train out of service temporarily with the canned "This Train Is Experiencing An Equipment Problem" announcement while he looked at and solved the smoking brake problem on his train.

Shouldn't these operators care, or do they just want to cause significant or major delays on a line if the Fire Dept. needs to be called in and power needs to be cut?

Why didn't you call 911? Pretty sure the CFD amublances know how to find red line stops.

The concerned citizen tried to get the train to stop, but everyone was overruled by I guess it's the pullout to 95th supervisor or red line control, I don't know. (not to be confused with Howard yard operations) It was a woman making the demands, I heard her over the radio. The next red line pulled straight into track 1 like they were running late. The girl was laying on the priority seating area by the door, she had her legs on the next rear facing seat so she took up four seats. Well anyway this girl at Grand she mumbled a few words looked around and passed out. I thought initially maybe she was on drugs or alcohol, but she had this plastic square like card wallet thing on her chest under her coat. It reminded me of the child in Mercury Rising. I don't know if she had a mental or development disorder and was abandoned or what. But they were probably dealing with her again at 95th because she would have been in the head car coming back to Howard. She clearly did not appear to be aware of her surroundings.

That situation is a total about face from a situation I witnessed one morning in late summer/early fall while on a Purple Line Express riding to Howard. I don't remember if I mentioned the situation before but I think I may have. At any rate, a younger African-American male than myself who was seated a couple of seats behind me had gone into a seizure or an episode that resembled one shortly after the train got past the Sheridan S-curve. Thankfully the riders sitting closest to him, immediately in front and back of him, got to him to help him not injure himself against the seats and railings around him while another alert passenger in the front of the car alerted the rail operator to what was happening. My first thought after the operator was alerted and the other passengers closest to the guy kept him as comfortable as possible was this is another big reason why the slow zones being as bad as it is in the NB side of the Purple Line Express is unacceptable. Anyone who rides the Purple Express knows the northbound trains creep along at a relative snail's pace between Lawrence and Howard. Thankfully the operator was able move the train at a faster speed, at about as fast as the slow zone areas would safely allow for increases beyond the usual snail crawls, and CFD paramedics were ready and waiting on the platform as the train pulled into Howard. The paramedics checked out the guy's vitals and got him loaded on the gurney and into the ambulance with maybe a 10-15 minute delay at most to the train. My only misgiving to the official CTA response in getting this guy help was the platform supervisor rushing the operator back to the train before he could relay to the paramedics his full understanding of what passengers in the car witnessed with the gentleman's episode that called for the medical attention when the train didn't even get the all clear to move again for another five minutes. She also took over communications with CFD and CPD (CPD I'm guessing to look into or rule out possible drug overdose) personnel gathering info on what happened when she couldn't tell what happened from a hill of beans. Granted the operator had to get the train back in motion, but there were other CTA supervisor personnel who had more of a handle on what happened on the train because they were in direct communication with the train operator getting the information from him as communicated by the passenger who hit the call button in the car and alerted him that this young man needed help.

Real question is why crew didn't call 911, or were they afraid that a real "medical emergency" alert would be posted? Or maybe she didn't have yesterday's CTA Tattler app, but I doubt that was the reason.

That's a question I'd like answered, but not one I'm likely to get an answer to. Why you, as bystander who was concerned enough to make note of what was going on, didn't call 911, or at the very least press the operator call button, is a question I might reasonably get an answer to.

• Upvote 1

That's a question I'd like answered, but not one I'm likely to get an answer to. Why you, as bystander who was concerned enough to make note of what was going on, didn't call 911, or at the very least press the operator call button, is a question I might reasonably get an answer to.

If you read above, someone else contacted the operator and got ignored. Your question was answered.

All this confirms is that the "medical emergency" alert is another CTA lie.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Rail Operators really give a crap about the safety of their trains. A Loop-bound Brown Line train came into Damen yesterday, and I could smell the familiar odor of a stuck brake or a break smoldering. I tried to alert the operator, but he just was motioning me to enter the train. I didn't simply because he didn't seem to care, why should I board a train that might have to be evacuated if the issue isn't resolved and it escalates to a fire. He just continued south heading towards the Loop. The last time it happened, myself and several other passengers noted the car we were riding in was permeated with a smoky odor. The Rail Operator I told then put the train out of service temporarily with the canned "This Train Is Experiencing An Equipment Problem" announcement while he looked at and solved the smoking brake problem on his train.

Shouldn't these operators care, or do they just want to cause significant or major delays on a line if the Fire Dept. needs to be called in and power needs to be cut?

Perhaps in the first case he was already aware of the situation and resolved it at Western . That smoldering brake odor does linger sometimes.

I remember as a kid my dad, mom, and I were riding a 6000 series Englewood - Howard train downtown to go to the Trailways station. Around Indiana there was a popping sound that popped a few times along with a burning smell. When we arrived at 35th, my dad yelled to the conductor or motorman " Fire!" We stayed at 35th for a few minutes (I guess someone was checking out the train), then we proceeded downtown without incident.

I don't know if its a switch off between garages but I was pulling in from my morning route on the J14 and I saw bus 1061 pulling out.. then again I guess it is about that time considering the winter pick starts in a few days.

I forgot all about the winter pick but lets hope its good picks left

Perhaps in the first case he was already aware of the situation and resolved it at Western . That smoldering brake odor does linger sometimes.

I remember as a kid my dad, mom, and I were riding a 6000 series Englewood - Howard train downtown to go to the Trailways station. Around Indiana there was a popping sound that popped a few times along with a burning smell. When we arrived at 35th, my dad yelled to the conductor or motorman " Fire!" We stayed at 35th for a few minutes (I guess someone was checking out the train), then we proceeded downtown without incident.

I would say that the Operator did, but the follower train that I did board I told the conductor about the train in front and if he communicate with him via the radio. He said he just radioed in the issue somewhere ahead of him. That would mean he decided not to listen to my alert at Damen, rather keep operating the train unsafely until somewhere further down the line(my guess is the hotshot finally noticed smoke pouring from below and decided "now I'll take care of it."). All I can say is thankfully it didn't turn into a fire, otherwise CFD would've had to been called, power would've had to have been cut and Loop and Kimball-bound trains within the vicinity would've been evacuated most likely as now they have to deal with a dead train that has water sprayed on it to put out the fire. Turn the third rail back on with a watered-down train parked and sparks would be flying for sure. If the Fire Dept. needed to use water, I guess the CTA would have to leave the third rail off until the train and electrified tracks are dry and safe to power.

I would say that the Operator did, but the follower train that I did board I told the conductor about the train in front and if he communicate with him via the radio. He said he just radioed in the issue somewhere ahead of him. That would mean he decided not to listen to my alert at Damen, rather keep operating the train unsafely until somewhere further down the line(my guess is the hotshot finally noticed smoke pouring from below and decided "now I'll take care of it."). All I can say is thankfully it didn't turn into a fire, otherwise CFD would've had to been called, power would've had to have been cut and Loop and Kimball-bound trains within the vicinity would've been evacuated most likely as now they have to deal with a dead train that has water sprayed on it to put out the fire. Turn the third rail back on with a watered-down train parked and sparks would be flying for sure. If the Fire Dept. needed to use water, I guess the CTA would have to leave the third rail off until the train and electrified tracks are dry and safe to power.

Reasonable concern on the surface. But you do realize CTA trains do operate in rainy downpours right? That would suggest they do have built in protections where water is concerned.

this a be a laugh but 512 was on the 71 @ 69th red line a moment ago

Believe it or not, my first ever ride on an Optima was on the 36 Broadway downtown on Dearborn. What made it even more wierd is that I can't recall North Park having any Optimas assigned to them, unless they had a couple for Evanston routes, but I though that those would've come out of FG, not NP.

Reasonable concern on the surface. But you do realize CTA trains do operate in rainy downpours right? That would suggest they do have built in protections where water is concerned.

Unless there is a recurrence of the 2200s that arced in the early 1970s until more shielding was applied around the electrical shoe, one would think that this problem is solved.

Also, it is usually recommended that water not be used on an electrical fire, but some chemical.

Believe it or not, my first ever ride on an Optima was on the 36 Broadway downtown on Dearborn. What made it even more wierd is that I can't recall North Park having any Optimas assigned to them, unless they had a couple for Evanston routes, but I though that those would've come out of FG, not NP.

At that time NP did have them on Evanston routes. Also, at that time, someone posted that a short bus was better than no bus.

I remember my first ride on these was on #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick. They were commonly used on this route on Sundays, probably because of low ridership on these days. I remember seeing a NABI on #11 once and riding it to work(the only time I ever saw an artic on this route).

Understood. I know that they(CTA) usually cut power when CFD is on scene to battle a fire on a rail line. I know it's usually because the firefighters get on the tracks, but if you go back to the Blue Line fire where the train was arcing and exploding because I guess it ran over road debris(a tire, I believe). First, CTA cut power to the tracks then the CTA started dealing with the fire. I remember seeing them taking hose off the truck and then the black smoke started graying up and filling the platform. I could be wrong, but I think they were using water from the truck.

But if there was a smoldering brake or stuck brake causing this smoky odor, and given the info that the following Rail Operator told me, why didn't the lead train operator stop the train at Damen and take care of the issue? If he never corrected it, it could've turned into a fire given time, I'm sure. For those familiar with railcar cabs, does an alert get issued to the Operator if something like a hot or stuck brake is occurring, or is it up to a vigilant passenger like me to bring it up to his/her attention?

Understood. I know that they(CTA) usually cut power when CFD is on scene to battle a fire on a rail line. I know it's usually because the firefighters get on the tracks, but if you go back to the Blue Line fire where the train was arcing and exploding because I guess it ran over road debris(a tire, I believe). First, CTA cut power to the tracks then the CTA started dealing with the fire. I remember seeing them taking hose off the truck and then the black smoke started graying up and filling the platform. I could be wrong, but I think they were using water from the truck.

But if there was a smoldering brake or stuck brake causing this smoky odor, and given the info that the following Rail Operator told me, why didn't the lead train operator stop the train at Damen and take care of the issue? If he never corrected it, it could've turned into a fire given time, I'm sure. For those familiar with railcar cabs, does an alert get issued to the Operator if something like a hot or stuck brake is occurring, or is it up to a vigilant passenger like me to bring it up to his/her attention?

It could be both. In my earlier post, I noted my dad notified CTA personnel of a problem on our train. I also remember riding a Red Line train heading SB toward 35th. All of the sudden we came to a screeching halt. The operator got out and went outside down the tracks for about 5 minutes before returning and proceeding to 35th. Control had him run express at that point.. Either something automatically triggered the emergency braking on the train or some alert came up that caused him to break immediately, even though we were only about 1/4 mile from the station.

Unless there is a recurrence of the 2200s that arced in the early 1970s until more shielding was applied around the electrical shoe, one would think that this problem is solved.

Also, it is usually recommended that water not be used on an electrical fire, but some chemical.

Correct. That thought came to mind when I made the other quick point earlier today. But didn't have time to bring it up since I was still at work.

Speaking of NP, I noticed it had a lot less artics assigned on the 136 today in the PM rush than one usually sees on the route in that part of the day. I decided that route for the ride home, and as I happened to use BusTracker to track departures from Franklin and Jackson to get a feel for how long I'd have to wait upon transferring from the 7 Harrison. BusTracker in addition to some of my own sightings upon getting to Franklin and Jackson confirmed at least 6 or 7 of the PM route 136 trips out of the 17 total PM trips today were operated using 1000 series NFs. That's an unusually high number for 136 given current artic usage by NP these days.

I rode an Optima too on the 36-Broadway from Downtown to Clark/ North Ave, then few weeks after I rode other one on the 28-Stony Island in one evening. I think NP did had couple Optima as a loaner.

... I think NP did had couple Optima as a loaner.

You can think what you want, but about 15 were assigned to NP, primarily for Evanston routes. See the Optima Opus Now In Service topic around here (noting that they were assigned) and here (nothing that they were in Evanston).

There wouldn't have been that many random observations of the on NP routes such as 36 if they were only loaners.

Or you can check the what's left for Optima Opus/in service and retirement dates thread here: http://forum.chicagobus.org/topic/3088-whats-left-for-the-optima-opus-500-544-lifetime-assignments-in-service-dates-retirements/

I have them listed at North Park from the in service date to March 2008. Just check the in service date versus the first charted date.

• Upvote 2

Can't make these up. Man follows woman home from a Paulina station, robs her, goes back to the Paulina station, asks for directions to Western, CA recognizes him and he is arrested at Western. Tribune.

Unless the object was to get a free room at the Graybar Hotel, next time use the map.

#6497's on the #152. Could they finally be starting to retire some Novas? I haven't seen too many lower #6500's/upper #6400's lately

I don't think that'll begin in any large amounts until Nova LFS Series II(the LFS Smart Buses) start rolling in here February, 2014. Prototype should be here soon for a press release.