More Bus Moves

sw4400

#3179 on the blue line had some bad looking graffiti on it tonight. Nothing was done to the outside. The inside though was pretty horrendous. The 3 windows in the center had one big word the size of the windows and they hit the whole motorman's cab door and window area outside from left to right. Somehow they got the motorman's door open and blocked off the path between the cars. One of the exit doors was hit from top to bottom too. I can imagine that car is out of service tonight. Seems like this is the new trend, maybe the guys can't get into the yard (I know Howard yard has barbed wire along it's perimeter) so they hit the train when no one is on it. CTA needs to step it up with the cameras.

Don't know when this was taken, but when visiting this Facebook site, I had to post here... it was just that intriguing...

Photo Copyright to People Of The CTA Facebook Page.

Not familiar with the roster numbers like I used to be, but I guess 1800 would be 103rd, North Park, or Chicago Ave.

My first guess would be 103rd garage. If that is the case, then chances are that pic could've been on the Midway Plaisance

If North Park, I don't know. Western Ave and Blvd comes to mind, but my recollection of that stretch is that the island was pretty flat. Kedzie and Mccormick have a much larger separation, and it doesn't appear to be anywhere in Lincoln Park.

My first guess would be 103rd garage. If that is the case, then chances are that pic could've been on the Midway Plaisance

If North Park, I don't know. Western Ave and Blvd comes to mind, but my recollection of that stretch is that the island was pretty flat. Kedzie and Mccormick have a much larger separation, and it doesn't appear to be anywhere in Lincoln Park.

The mounded median and lack of gothic buildings in the background eliminates Midway Plaisance. No way a bus could be going on 60th that fast, and the park within the plaisance is depressed. Also, odds are that both sides of any road there would be packed with parked cars.

I would have guessed somewhere on south LSD, but with all the construction there in the past 10 years, I don't know if that type of divider holds up there, either. Maybe around 6500 S.

The advertisement is a bit ironic.

Don't know when this was taken, but when visiting this Facebook site, I had to post here... it was just that intriguing...

Photo Copyright to People Of The CTA Facebook Page.

1800 is 103rd's bus as far as I remember. And I agree with Busjack that this couldn't be Midway Plaisance. In addition to the speed factor he points out, from what I can tell in the picture the roadway is actually too wide to be Midway Plaisance. Could this be Stoney Island at its far south end where the median divides the roadway? The median looks to round to be the stretch along 67th to 75th. But could it be further south?

1800 is 103rd's bus as far as I remember. And I agree with Busjack that this couldn't be Midway Plaisance. In addition to the speed factor he points out, from what I can tell in the picture the roadway is actually too wide to be Midway Plaisance. Could this be Stoney Island at its far south end where the median divides the roadway? The median looks to round to be the stretch along 67th to 75th. But could it be further south?

I don't think that the median from 81st to 93rd is that much different. What tips me off is that the street lamps seem a bit informal and there isn't anything in the background. I'm also thinking that the divider is not a median but a berm between the main road and a park road. But admittedly, I'm just guessing.

I don't think that the median from 81st to 93rd is that much different. What tips me off is that the street lamps seem a bit informal and there isn't anything in the background. I'm also thinking that the divider is not a median but a berm between the main road and a park road. But admittedly, I'm just guessing.

I was just guessing myself. Does the Lake Shore Drive extension that now appears on Google maps south of 79th have a median?

I was just guessing myself. Does the Lake Shore Drive extension that now appears on Google maps south of 79th have a median?

Even if it is open (and I haven't heard that it was), 26 and 71 are not routed on it.

Even if it is open (and I haven't heard that it was), 26 and 71 are not routed on it.

I realize that but I posed that question because I was looking at BusTracker on Friday evening and happened to observe 1000 series buses assigned on the 6 use a small portion of what is labeled Lake Shore Drive extension to turn around and prepare for a deahead back into downtown to start additional southbound trips on the 6 after having finished a southbound trip on that route.

I realize that but I posed that question because I was looking at BusTracker on Friday evening and happened to observe 1000 series buses assigned on the 6 use a small portion of what is labeled Lake Shore Drive extension to turn around and prepare for a deahead back into downtown to start additional southbound trips on the 6 after having finished a southbound trip on that route.

That is the usual "Lakefront terminal" of 6 and 79, a block east of South Shore Drive. However, I do see that the Google Map does have pavement for the extension, which is something new (until recently it only showed pavement south of 87th). In the zoomed satellite view, there is an articulated bus sitting westbound east of Brandon, and they are just laying cement on one half of the extension. The zoomed view seems lighter and older than the initial one.

That is the usual "Lakefront terminal" of 6 and 79, a block east of South Shore Drive. However, I do see that the Google Map does have pavement for the extension, which is something new (until recently it only showed pavement south of 87th). In the zoomed satellite view, there is an articulated bus sitting westbound east of Brandon, and they are just laying cement on one half of the extension. The zoomed view seems lighter and older than the initial one.

No you misunderstand me. They turned quite a distance beyond the point where Brandon is while Bustracker showed buses that were going to stay in service northbound did use "the terminal", which is why I though maybe a portion of the extension was opened. But it instead had to have been 79th still if the satellite view is up to date. So at any rate going with the view that the satellite view is current, the pic sw posted from the CTA Facebook page couldn't be the extension since only one side is paved and there is no asphalt laid.

..So at any rate going with the view that the satellite view is current, the pic sw posted from the CTA Facebook page couldn't be the extension since only one side is paved and there is no asphalt laid.

I didn't misunderstand, but you misunderstood that the zoomed satellite view with the paving in progress on one side seems older than the unzoomed view that appears to show both sides paved.

However, essentially we are messing around, as none of us has found the location.

Looking at the pic again, the police car seems to be parked on a service road (with apparently little or no curb. The other street across the mounded grassy island is a major thoroughfare, indicated by the sign of some type of advertising or sponsorship affixed to the lamp post. The white parked car would eliminate Lake Shore Drive as a possible site. The only portion of Stony Island that would come close to this would be around Marquette to 67th, but with the amount of trees in that area, I would guess not. The only other areas in 103rd territory that comes to mind would be near Carver H.S. and along 95th and along King Drive in the vicinity of Chicago State.

The other thing to consider is that the bus is running perpendicular to the two streets, so it has to either be coming to a T intersection or missing a curve of some sort. Even though this pic was taken during the day, I wonder if the event happened at night.

Don't we have a member that's a 103rd based operator that could shine some light on this?

The mounded median and lack of gothic buildings in the background eliminates Midway Plaisance. No way a bus could be going on 60th that fast, and the park within the plaisance is depressed. Also, odds are that both sides of any road there would be packed with parked cars.

I would have guessed somewhere on south LSD, but with all the construction there in the past 10 years, I don't know if that type of divider holds up there, either. Maybe around 6500 S.

The advertisement is a bit ironic.

Not a lot of southwest-side Catholic school graduates on this board. The view is from the Brother Rice high school parking lot facing northwest toward Pulaski and 99th (around 2007-2008). The operator was apparently blocked in the parking lot and was attempting to get to Pulaski which we see over the berm on the left. That grassy area has since been regraded and is no longer that height.

Not a lot of southwest-side Catholic school graduates on this board. ...

You got that right, and I don't think even Ed Farmer could help here.

Maybe what sent us in the wrong direction is that we assumed a north-south route near103rd, not an east-west one.

I didn't misunderstand, but you misunderstood that the zoomed satellite view with the paving in progress on one side seems older than the unzoomed view that appears to show both sides paved.

However, essentially we are messing around, as none of us has found the location.

Either way, the portions laid in either view show the grass and tree filled median outlined by a concrete curbing so it still wouldn't be the extension in any case since the pic sw uploaded shows no concrete curbs surrounded the grass and trees 1800 found itself stuck on. But thanks greenstreet for shedding light on this. It is true that we all were thinking of north-south routes assigned to 103rd instead of east-west ones.

Not a lot of southwest-side Catholic school graduates on this board. The view is from the Brother Rice high school parking lot facing northwest toward Pulaski and 99th (around 2007-2008). The operator was apparently blocked in the parking lot and was attempting to get to Pulaski which we see over the berm on the left. That grassy area has since been regraded and is no longer that height.

I knew that looked familiar. I couldn't piece it together.

John Kass proposed several for his Chumbolone Games™ (a substitute for losing the X Games):

SurvivorRahm

Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the 50 aldermen and all 17 Cook County commissioners wear necklaces with smartphones dangled from them and try to make their way safely across the city and county, using only CTA buses and their feet.

Warriors, Come Out and Play

In this extreme game, based on the cult movie classic "The Warriors," Gov. Pat Quinn and his Democratic primary challenger William Daley lead two teams of gun-control activists. Another two teams of street gang members are encouraged to follow them, each given a "Get Out of Jail Free" card and promises that nothing except murder will be prosecuted. The politicians must crisscross the city on rapid transit lines, Red, Brown, Green, Blue and Pink, beginning at midnight, while holding wads of $20 bills in their hands. Again, no bodyguards.

I wonder if the latter was inspired by the Adham challenge. Probably not.

• Upvote 3

John Kass proposed several for his Chumbolone Games™ (a substitute for losing the X Games):

SurvivorRahm

Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the 50 aldermen and all 17 Cook County commissioners wear necklaces with smartphones dangled from them and try to make their way safely across the city and county, using only CTA buses and their feet.

In this extreme game, based on the cult movie classic "The Warriors," Gov. Pat Quinn and his Democratic primary challenger William Daley lead two teams of gun-control activists. Another two teams of street gang members are encouraged to follow them, each given a "Get Out of Jail Free" card and promises that nothing except murder will be prosecuted. The politicians must crisscross the city on rapid transit lines, Red, Brown, Green, Blue and Pink, beginning at midnight, while holding wads of $20 bills in their hands. Again, no bodyguards.

Who would get Mike Madigan? :lol:

SurvivorRahm

I would watch only if ex-Gov. Froot Loops was on these shows...

"Walk a mile in my shoes..."

"Give me the goods!!!" *points gun at Blago*

"Patti!!!" *start sobbing uncontrollably as he gives up the smartphone, money, etc...

That would make for some good TV right there. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Who would get Mike Madigan? :lol:

I think that goes into the "Hot Subpoena" game.

I would watch only if ex-Gov. Froot Loops was on these shows...,,,

That would make for some good TV right there. :lol:

He was on too many shows of that nature before he went to the can.

I suppose if there were Celebrity Hairdos, Club Fed Edition, he'd be on it. Trump could host that, too.

• Upvote 2

I think that goes into the "Hot Subpoena" game.

He was on too many shows of that nature before he went to the can.

I suppose if there were Celebrity Hairdos, Club Fed Edition, he'd be on it. Trump could host that, too.

Aw, Busjack... you ruin all the fun... ;)

Every show has to have a main star...

The Rock is the main star of WWE Wrestling

The Fonz is the main star of "Happy Days"

The Blag should be the main star of one or both of these shows... think of the ratings and star potential... the Rod Blagojevich is the star of a Chicago-based reality show... :lol:

Aw, Busjack... you ruin all the fun... ;)

Every show has to have a main star...

The Rock is the main star of WWE Wrestling

The Fonz is the main star of "Happy Days"

The Blag should be the main star of one or both of these shows... think of the ratings and star potential... the Rod Blagojevich is the star of a Chicago-based reality show... :lol:

I can argue about the above, such as that Cena or Chicago's C.M. Punk is the star of the WWE, and Happy Days was supposed to be about Richie Cunningham (whose mother, Mrs. C, also seems to be Drew Carey's mother Mrs. C.).

It is bad enough that he was the star of a pistachio commercial, but apparently could be replaced by Kermit the Frog and Psy of Gagnum Style.

Maybe he can replace Wayne Brady impersonating Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal. "You, in the Eastern Indian costume. You are from Oak Brook?" "Want to put up your winnings to see if there is a Senate appointment for a congressman from South Shore behind door 1, 2 or 3?"

• Upvote 1

Maybe he can replace Wayne Brady impersonating Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal. "You, in the Eastern Indian costume. You are from Oak Brook?" "Want to put up your winnings to see if there is a Senate appointment for a congressman from South Shore behind door 1, 2 or 3?"

Don't you mean.

These people all come from the state of Illinois to play Lets Make A Deal.

Heres Illinois biggest Dealer Mike Madigan

:lol: