More Bus Moves

sw4400

The #52's were all screwed up today. I first observed a Sb bus going west on Belmont, and I thought maybe it was just a new operator, then I noticed a NB bus went straight across Belmont, so I'm thinking reroute, they have some construction at Belmont and California maybe some operators can't make the turn. Then a Sb bus goes across Belmont. What a confusing mess. Not a good day for service north of Belmont.

The #52's were all screwed up today. I first observed a Sb bus going west on Belmont, and I thought maybe it was just a new operator, then I noticed a NB bus went straight across Belmont, so I'm thinking reroute, they have some construction at Belmont and California maybe some operators can't make the turn. Then a Sb bus goes across Belmont. What a confusing mess. Not a good day for service north of Belmont.

I have this strange feeling that there was something going on in the portion of the route behind DeVry. Only alert, though, is around the South Branch.

Also, 1269 is on the #11, and 1266 is on the #49B..

That's too much of a coincidence that five buses in numerical order would find themselves on loan at the same garage, and the summer pick just started this past Sunday. So it's looking like these five buses are more than just a loan and may be an actual reassignment.

That's too much of a coincidence that five buses in numerical order would find themselves on loan at the same garage, and the summer pick just started this past Sunday. So it's looking like these five buses are more than just a loan and may be an actual reassignment.

I have speculation only on why 1266-1270 went to NP from FG. Any buses suddenly disappeared from NP recently? Maybe 6 New Flyer D40LF's? This shuffling might mark the beginning of the "gut" rehabs on the 1,030 D40LF's. How the CTA is doing it, I don't know(doesn't look like it's numerically if this is the case)... but it just makes me wonder.

Watch the D40LF rosters at all garages for the next two years for little transfers back and forth, I think this is the beginning of the rehabs.

I have speculation only on why 1266-1270 went to NP from FG. Any buses suddenly disappeared from NP recently? Maybe 6 New Flyer D40LF's? This shuffling might mark the beginning of the "gut" rehabs on the 1,030 D40LF's. How the CTA is doing it, I don't know(doesn't look like it's numerically if this is the case)... but it just makes me wonder.

Watch the D40LF rosters at all garages for the next two years for little transfers back and forth, I think this is the beginning of the rehabs.

Maybe. But with no hard details of when the rehabs are to occur beyond vague mentions that they're coming, it's hard to say past speculation.

Maybe. But with no hard details of when the rehabs are to occur beyond vague mentions that they're coming, it's hard to say past speculation.

Just speculation and coincidence that around six New Flyer D40LF's were transferred to another garage with no real reason as to why... like recently 1092-1099(8 buses) where sent from 74th to Chicago. Maybe it's nothing to do with the gut rehabs, but it just seems odd that these numbers were shifted to these garages.

Just spotted 103rd's 1481 on #73 Armitage.

Even dann noticed another odd shift of 1481 being sent from 103rd to Chicago. This might be more coincidence than anything, since it's just one bus, but if 1483-1487 move over as well, you have to wonder... but if 1482 returns to service, then you know the gut rehabs are in full swing, as this bus has been out of action for several years now.

Just speculation and coincidence that around six New Flyer D40LF's were transferred to another garage with no real reason as to why... like recently 1092-1099(8 buses) where sent from 74th to Chicago. Maybe it's nothing to do with the gut rehabs, but it just seems odd that these numbers were shifted to these garages.

Also, Chicago received two Novas from 74th (6594 and 6595), as well as buses 1476-1481 from 103rd. This might be part of the Summer pick where extra buses are needed on routes serving in and around the Loop. (This might also be the reason why buses 1266-1270 were transferred from FG to NP.)

Also, Chicago received two Novas from 74th (6594 and 6595), as well as buses 1476-1481 from 103rd. This might be part of the Summer pick where extra buses are needed on routes serving in and around the Loop.

See this makes you think it could be just for the Summer Pick.... but 1476-1481 is six buses... :blink: coincidence???

See this makes you think it could be just for the Summer Pick.... but 1476-1481 is six buses... :blink: coincidence???

Coincidence. Also, I forgot to note that 74th also has received 6487 and 6488 from 77th, rendering 6594 and 6595 as transferred to Chicago.

As RJL6000 says it's probably more coincidence than anything, and it's still not enough to say beyond speculation that it has anything to do with the rehabs since if we look back, it's nothing new in shifting this many 1000s around during the change in picks as prior picks saw 1303-1322 go to NP. One of the shifts earlier this year saw 1323-26 also go to NP then after that 1303-1309 got shifted down to 77th. Let's not forget NFs lower than 1273 that were formerly 77th buses have wound up all over the place, primarily at FG. So again my original point of this being shifts that come with the change to a new pick stands and the rehab part of the equation is still speculation for now. Watching what happens among buses 1000-1099 split between 103rd and Chicago, of course starting with the buses at 103rd, gives a better picture of when we can say with confidence the rehabs are in gear.

I notice that the south Lake Shore Express routes' Taste of Chicago detours have gone back to being Michigan, Roosevelt, Columbus, and Lake Shore Drive this year instead of them exiting Lake Shore at the Stevenson or 31st Street and operate up State Street into downtown as had been the case the previous few years. I guess someone at CTA wised up that dumping all that bus traffic onto State Street was not very efficient. As is south side riders are already contending grudgingly with the Dan Ryan project because of their cautious optimism that the project will result in the Dan Ryan leg having faster travel times.

I notice that the south Lake Shore Express routes' Taste of Chicago detours have gone back to being Michigan, Roosevelt, Columbus, and Lake Shore Drive this year instead of them exiting Lake Shore at the Stevenson or 31st Street and operate up State Street into downtown as had been the case the previous few years. I guess someone at CTA wised up that dumping all that bus traffic onto State Street was not very efficient. As is south side riders are already contending grudgingly with the Dan Ryan project because of their cautious optimism that the project will result in the Dan Ryan leg having faster travel times.

I think it all depends on how much LSD traffic they anticipate north of Cermak. LSD can get pretty slow there in the rush. The attendance at the Taste last year wasn't all that good, so maybe they think traffic won't be too bad.

I think it all depends on how much LSD traffic they anticipate north of Cermak. LSD can get pretty slow there in the rush. The attendance at the Taste last year wasn't all that good, so maybe they think traffic won't be too bad.

I've ridden through there and the traffic on the Drive between Roosevelt and Cermak can get heavy but not crazy heavy like you see on the North Drive to really have justified dumping the extra bus traffic onto State Street or South Michigan Avenue. And generic weekday rush hour traffic reports of both ends Lake Shore Drive back me up on that to some degree.

I've ridden through there and the traffic on the Drive between Roosevelt and Cermak can get heavy but not crazy heavy like you see on the North Drive to really have justified dumping the extra bus traffic onto State Street or South Michigan Avenue. And generic weekday rush hour traffic reports of both ends Lake Shore Drive back me up on that to some degree.

And it never has been justified. The worst it usually gets is small jam from around McCormick place to Roosevelt as far as bus delays

And it never has been justified. The worst it usually gets is small jam from around McCormick place to Roosevelt as far as bus delays

My point exactly. While traffic on North Lake Shore Drive gets so ridiculous that if I don't get off work by a certain time in the afternoon I just go ahead and take the 9 and the 22 home since at that point taking a train to grab 136, 147 or 148 wouldn't be saving me time home with a quick stop to grab dinner along the way.

My point exactly. While traffic on North Lake Shore Drive gets so ridiculous that if I don't get off work by a certain time in the afternoon I just go ahead and take the 9 and the 22 home since at that point taking a train to grab 136, 147 or 148 wouldn't be saving me time home with a quick stop to grab dinner along the way.

Most definately. Adding injury to insult is the thick traffic along State and Michigan to even get on Lake Shore that way and the fact that it happens much more often that direction.

Most definately. Adding injury to insult is the thick traffic along State and Michigan to even get on Lake Shore that way and the fact that it happens much more often that direction.

Right. Now in the morning, I might actually save time doing that trip in reverse over taking the 9 and 22 to work. But evening rush, traffic gets hectic enough on the North Drive for me to opt for the 9 and 22 more often than not and just contend with the traffic on Ashland and Clark.