More Bus Moves

sw4400

I did a quick run through of NP routes with the BusTracker and no NOVA's came up. I don't think 6535, 6573 and 6574 were just loaners, however. One bus maybe, two buses, eh, possible... but three??? I speculate that North Park did get some small blocks of NOVA's again, since they gave up some New Flyers recently in a sort of swap for swap trade.

Obviously contradictory conclusions.

I did a quick run through of NP routes with the BusTracker and no NOVA's came up. I don't think 6535, 6573 and 6574 were just loaners, however. One bus maybe, two buses, eh, possible... but three??? I speculate that North Park did get some small blocks of NOVA's again, since they gave up some New Flyers recently in a sort of swap for swap trade.

Three is still not enough to say that they were anything more than loans. When the city was still doing the big July 3rd fireworks show near Grant Park and the Taste was still a ten day event from late June to a day or two after the July 4th holiday, there would be cases of three, four, or even five buses each from several garages showing up on routes at different garages simultaneously leading to speculations of swaps in this very thread, and once the Taste was over those buses would find their way back to their current assigned garages.

Why is #1705 doing an EB Irving Park run? Is Kedzie working Irving Park, too?

Possible that FG was short some buses. As for NP artics being on the 49, I think that's more of what the Tattler was saying was going to happen with the 49 and 82 in seeing a few more artics to help the 40 footers on those two routes. Though they had said CTA informed them that the artics on the 49 would be more in the morning while the 82's would be PM rush. Instead what we've seen is they both have seen artics in the off peak as well with those on the 82 being a more all day thing on weekdays. About 2 or 3 over the course of the whole day with 1 or 2 more in the rush periods.

This brings new meaning to the classic Drifters song, "Up On The Roof". Story

• Too bad there still isn't any overhead wire.
  • Wonder if the new station canopy would have knocked him off.
  • Stuff like this hasn't happened since people piling onto the cable cars for the Columbian Exhibition, although I suppose that someone is going to contradict that.

Or is proof America is becoming a third world country.

Bad analogy guy. Very bad. Even people who live in third world countries have more sense than displayed in that article. Whoever that was is an idiot by anyone's definition of the word.

Some more moves:

103rd sent its 1540s back to 74th.

In addition, bus 6663 is on the #9 Ashland today (though it is not yet clear whether it has been officially transferred to 74th or loaned from 77th).

And 6594 and 6595 might have been transferred to either 74th or Forest Glen at this time (though I will have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest to "confirm" this). UPDATE: 6594 and 6595 are now also at 74th. 6594 is on the #44 Wallace-Racine this morning. Also confirmed is the transfer of 6663 to 74th: Both that bus and 6595 are on the #49 Western this morning.

And 103rd did not send 1540 to 74th; it remains at 103rd. 1541-1545 did get transferred back to 74th.

And due in large part to a significant number of the new 4300-series artics now assigned to both 77th and 103rd Garages, it is no surprise that four of 77th's Novas (6478, 6594, 6595 and 6663) and five of 103rd's 1540s (1541-1545) were transferred to 74th. This is in addition to two of 77th's 1270s (1273 and 1274) that were transferred to Forest Glen.

And should Kedzie get all or most of the 4390s, expect some or all of Kedzie's remaining 1100s and 1200s to be transferred to Forest Glen and/or 74th. But this scenario is currently unlikely.

A couple years ago on Ashland around Pershing. I wonder what bus number that was out of 74th? Here's another http://nbcchicago.com/traffic/transit/cta-bus-crash-168408046.html that just happened Apr 1st. Looks like the bus sustained heavy frontal damage.

Do you know if that's 1059 or 1069 that got smashed in the front? The bike rack blocks the third digit of the fleet number but you can make out just enough of the roundness a "5" or "6" would have in Helvetica font, but the bike rack blocks enough of the fleet number from the angle of the shot that you can't make out which one it is.

• 2 weeks later...

In another one that makes one wonder what the h--- really happened here, a Tribune report that a man supposedly from Addison was found dead on a train of an apparent drug overdose at Ashland-63.

I mean, like how he got there, and how dead he was before the train pulled into the terminal.

In addition, bus 6663 is on the #9 Ashland today (though it is not yet clear whether it has been officially transferred to 74th or loaned from 77th).

And 6594 and 6595 might have been transferred to either 74th or Forest Glen at this time (though I will have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest to "confirm" this). UPDATE: 6594 and 6595 are now also at 74th. 6594 is on the #44 Wallace-Racine this morning. Also confirmed is the transfer of 6663 to 74th: Both that bus and 6595 are on the #49 Western this morning.

And 103rd did not send 1540 to 74th; it remains at 103rd. 1541-1545 did get transferred back to 74th.

And due in large part to a significant number of the new 4300-series artics now assigned to both 77th and 103rd Garages, it is no surprise that four of 77th's Novas (6478, 6594, 6595 and 6663) and five of 103rd's 1540s (1541-1545) were transferred to 74th. This is in addition to two of 77th's 1270s (1273 and 1274) that were transferred to Forest Glen.

And should Kedzie get all or most of the 4390s, expect some or all of Kedzie's remaining 1100s and 1200s to be transferred to Forest Glen and/or 74th. But this scenario is currently unlikely.

The first half of the #4390's are on the south side. I expect the south side to get the rest of them and maybe even get all of Kedzie's #4300's.

Get all of Kedzie's 4300s based on what?

Based on getting the most capacity as possible for the Ryan. In a way it's smart, they get artics from the garage that has the least need for them currently. And the garage that has the most artics will help out with Kedzie. Other garages like FG will help out NP and Kedzie in areas that it is short. It's just like three track if you remember that. FG was running #6000's on the #147, I believe 103rd was doing the #134's. And the Kedzie artics can focus in on the Ryan.