More Bus Moves

sw4400

How stupid are people??? Seriously??? I walked north on Kedzie to catch the Brown Line, and just south of the tracks.... still on the tracks barely, a guy pulls his car over to talk on a cell phone. I knock on the window and inform him he's on the tracks. He pulls off the track and just seconds after, the gates and lights activate as a train was approaching. The back end of his car was on enough that a passing Loop-bound train would've clipped his car, disrupting Brown Line service most likely.

How stupid are people??? Seriously??? I walked north on Kedzie to catch the Brown Line, and just south of the tracks.... still on the tracks barely, a guy pulls his car over to talk on a cell phone. I knock on the window and inform him he's on the tracks. He pulls off the track and just seconds after, the gates and lights activate as a train was approaching. The back end of his car was on enough that a passing Loop-bound train would've clipped his car, disrupting Brown Line service most likely.

The proper way to describe it is stupidity.

.... I knock on the window and inform him he's on the tracks. He pulls off the track...

I'm surprised he was alert enough to hear you knocking.

But if you had left him alone, maybe we would have had another evening news story of another car being thrust into the station platform. :wub: Seems like most of that stuff happens at Kedzie, where, of course, a drunken Mr. Lee electrocuted himself, leaving a nice wrongful death judgment for his heirs, and, of course, the cop who tried to beat the train.

I'm surprised he was alert enough to hear you knocking.

But if you had left him alone, maybe we would have had another evening news story of another car being thrust into the station platform. :wub:

I'm surprised too. Just seconds afterwards, a Loop-bound train activated the gates. If the train did strike the car, it just would've knocked it southbound on Kedzie into northbound waiting traffic, or perhaps the sidewalks, as the train was heading away from the station and the car was facing southbound.

Another winner of the Darwin Award.

But on another serious note... the traffic before all this was backed up onto both sets of tracks northbound and southbound. Can you imagine the pandemonium if those gates activated while traffic sat on those tracks???

The sign at the crossbucks says it all... Do Not Stop On Tracks

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised too. Just seconds afterwards, a Loop-bound train activated the gates. If the train did strike the car, it just would've knocked it southbound on Kedzie into northbound waiting traffic, or perhaps the sidewalks, as the train was heading away from the station and the car was facing southbound.

Another winner of the Darwin Award.

But on another serious note... the traffic before all this was backed up onto both sets of tracks northbound and southbound. Can you imagine the pandemonium if those gates activated while traffic sat on those tracks???

The sign at the crossbucks says it all... Do Not Stop On Tracks

From your descriptions of the directions, I was a bit doubtful about posting yesterday about hitting the station, like happened in several other cases. I'm not sure about the businesses around there, but probably through some storefront.

On your last sentence, he probably was waiting for a tweet to tell him, but besides that, one isn't supposed to use a cell phone while driving. I don't know if a Bluetooth phone would have been any better with regard to being distracted, but then you would have seen him yelling into the ceiling of his car.

From your descriptions of the directions, I was a bit doubtful about posting yesterday about hitting the station, like happened in several other cases. I'm not sure about the businesses around there, but probably through some storefront.

On your last sentence, he probably was waiting for a tweet to tell him, but besides that, one isn't supposed to use a cell phone while driving. I don't know if a Bluetooth phone would have been any better with regard to being distracted, but then you would have seen him yelling into the ceiling of his car.

That's more likely. On the map you linked to, the guy stopped his car where that bike is parked with the trunk end just a little before that bike is closer to the track. The train would've easily clipped his car as it was going past, causing a delay in Brown Line service as I'm sure CPD has to come to the scene as does CFD and CTA Emergency Services to document what happened all because some nut couldn't pull his car up a little more to talk to Mary Jane or whomever he was on the phone with.

He was on the phone, no Bluetooth. One hand on the steering wheel, one holding his smart phone by his ear(although the phone was actually smarter than the driver here).

Here's a screenprint with a tag to show where the brainless buffoon was at.

post-10-0-50977300-1368287278_thumb.jpg

Based on getting the most capacity as possible for the Ryan. In a way it's smart, they get artics from the garage that has the least need for them currently. And the garage that has the most artics will help out with Kedzie. Other garages like FG will help out NP and Kedzie in areas that it is short. It's just like three track if you remember that. FG was running #6000's on the #147, I believe 103rd was doing the #134's. And the Kedzie artics can focus in on the Ryan.

That was a completely different kind of project and by the time of the start of this one I just don't see trying to cram 300 plus artics in three garage assignments. CTA does some moves that sound unrealistic before it does them, but this is one I don't see happening. Sorry. I see all four artic garages assigning some artics for Red Line shuttle work during any given day in the five month span of the project before I see Kedzie giving up all 60something of its artics.

The extra artics were assigned to NP and Kedzie for the Wells Street bridge reconstruction to begin with. So I'd think that NP might lose 25 or 30 of its artics, returning to something close to its pre-Wells-Street allotment of slightly over 100.

I'd guess that the R22 Shuttle might be operated out of Kedzie, but that's only speculation. But as short as that route will be, I'm wondering if 40-footers would be sufficient there. So maybe Kedzie would be able to spare a small number of artics.

Once next weekend's shuffle is finished, he's how the 308 artics might be distributed: NP 105, Kedzie 60, & 103rd 60 (for regular, non-shuttle service). 83 artics would then be available for the shuttles from 103rd & 77th, assuming that they're diverted from Routes 4 & 79. (I didn't account for out-of-service buses, so 76 or 77 shuttle artics might be more realistic). Will that be enough?

The overall fleet sizes at the three South Side barns do seem to have been beefed up following the last pick. So, hopefully enough buses will be available overall to handle the Red Line reconstruction. I guess we'll find out next week.

In a way the Wells street shuttles were a dress rehearsal of the ryan shuttles. Most buses were #4300's, most were out of 77th and 103rd. There were around 20-30 buses in service total. This however was on the weekend. I can see why they would need 100 buses. I agree that the R22 will probably be ran with 40 footers out of Kedzie. Cermak-Chinatown only has 3,500 boardings so they might be able to get away with it. The heaviest core of buses will come out of 95th with 12,000 boardings per weekday, as you travel up the line 5,000 for 87th, 8,000 for 79th, 5,800 for 69th, 3,400 for 63rd. The one spot where it sounds like there will be complaints will be at 63rd inbound as they are running a shuttle from there that stops at all the stations south of there. They might have to give 63rd station it's own bus as many will be overcrowded and unable to serve the inbound 63rd/red line crowd. One thing that interests me is the staging of buses. It should be not too hard to stage all these buses on the south end at there respective stations, but how are they going to stage all these buses at garfield/green line? They are going to have 10-20 artics off 5 routes converging together. The make shift terminal seems too small for that many artics. As far as equipment shuffles, there probably going to add 50 artic buses each to 77th and 103rd. I think 103rd will need most of that for the #R95 alone. Then you have to wonder if they'll beef up the #J14. One thing seems for sure. If there that crazy about running #4300's on the shuttles, I guess we won't be seeing too many #4300's in the loop anymore. Should be interesting.

In a way the Wells street shuttles were a dress rehearsal of the ryan shuttles. Most buses were #4300's, most were out of 77th and 103rd. There were around 20-30 buses in service total. This however was on the weekend. I can see why they would need 100 buses. I agree that the R22 will probably be ran with 40 footers out of Kedzie. Cermak-Chinatown only has 3,500 boardings so they might be able to get away with it. The heaviest core of buses will come out of 95th with 12,000 boardings per weekday, as you travel up the line 5,000 for 87th, 8,000 for 79th, 5,800 for 69th, 3,400 for 63rd. The one spot where it sounds like there will be complaints will be at 63rd inbound as they are running a shuttle from there that stops at all the stations south of there. They might have to give 63rd station it's own bus as many will be overcrowded and unable to serve the inbound 63rd/red line crowd. One thing that interests me is the staging of buses. It should be not too hard to stage all these buses on the south end at there respective stations, but how are they going to stage all these buses at garfield/green line? They are going to have 10-20 artics off 5 routes converging together. The make shift terminal seems too small for that many artics. As far as equipment shuffles, there probably going to add 50 artic buses each to 77th and 103rd. I think 103rd will need most of that for the #R95 alone. Then you have to wonder if they'll beef up the #J14. One thing seems for sure. If there that crazy about running #4300's on the shuttles, I guess we won't be seeing too many #4300's in the loop anymore. Should be interesting.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't look as if there'll be any inbound shuttle service between 63rd and Garfield (except from 1-4AM, the R55). Inbound riders from 63rd Street can board trains directly from any one of four stations along 63rd from Ashland to Cottage. The R63 is intended to serve local riders only between 63rd and 95th. I wouldn't be surprised if 40-footers are sufficient for that route.

So there'll actually be four shuttle routes serving the Garfield station. Still a lotta buses to deal with. I'll bet you're right about the R95 posing the greatest challenge. Likewise the possibility of needing beefed-up service on the J14, as well as the 28-Downtown during rush periods.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't look as if there'll be any inbound shuttle service between 63rd and Garfield (except from 1-4AM, the R55). Inbound riders from 63rd Street can board trains directly from any one of four stations along 63rd from Ashland to Cottage. The R63 is intended to serve local riders only between 63rd and 95th. I wouldn't be surprised if 40-footers are sufficient for that route.

So there'll actually be four shuttle routes serving the Garfield station. Still a lotta buses to deal with. I'll bet you're right about the R95 posing the greatest challenge. Likewise the possibility of needing beefed-up service on the J14, as well as the 28-Downtown during rush periods.

I'm kind of surprised, I don't think their beefing up the #J14. It's going to have the same service as before. This might be a mistake. Anyone with a negative view of the project, (delaying them) will probably just avoid it and on the east side that means the #J14. Of course, if there is any overcrowding there will be tweaks to the service. The first few days will be interesting until they figure out what happened to the crowd, whether they are sticking to the "L" reroute or not.

I don't know if no NB bus for 63rd/Red line is a wise idea either. I guess CTA's thinking is that those riders will take a shuttle bus south to take a shuttle north. :lol: Of course those closer to the 63rd branch stations will use that. But like ChicagoMotorman said, they should have opened a temporary station at Harvard for the 63rd crowd.

Anyone know of any Hybrid 40' New Flyers running 52 Kedzie/California? I was on a EB #152 this afternoon and saw what looked like a 800-Series DE40LF turn from WB Addison onto SB California. It had a big battery pack on the roof. I did a quick check of the #52 on BusTracker when I saw it, but all I got was D40LF's on the route.

Anyone know of any Hybrid 40' New Flyers running 52 Kedzie/California? I was on a EB #152 this afternoon and saw what looked like a 800-Series DE40LF turn from WB Addison onto SB California. It had a big battery pack on the roof. I did a quick check of the #52 on BusTracker when I saw it, but all I got was D40LF's on the route.

It's probably one of today's ghost buses, where the buses are clearly in service because you see them on the street serving the route in question but for some reason or other the buses' radio transmitters are down and don't show them in service. Bus #802 though is in service right now heading back NB and crossing Kedzie and Lake. Since this is about an hour and a half after you put your post in, this is probably the bus you saw.

How will the Red Line shuttles accommodate 35th Street riders heading to/from Comiskey Park for a White Sox game? Will shuttle service be adjusted appropriately pre- and post-game? I am looking to head out there for the late-August series between the White Sox and Texas.

How will the Red Line shuttles accommodate 35th Street riders heading to/from Comiskey Park for a White Sox game? Will shuttle service be adjusted appropriately pre- and post-game? I am looking to head out there for the late-August series between the White Sox and Texas.

Are you implying that service south of Garfield should be beefed up? Just trying to clarify the question.

Sounds like he's wondering if service near 35th Street should be beefed up on Sox game days.

That's why I asked. However, there isn't an R35, and basically walking to the 35-IIT-Bronzeville station is two additional blocks and there are signs at New Comiskey (that's what I'll call it) directing pedestrians to both the Red and Green Lines.

That's why I thought that the question needed clarification.

• Upvote 2

That's why I asked. However, there isn't an R35, and basically walking to the 35-IIT-Bronzeville station is two additional blocks and there are signs at New Comiskey (that's what I'll call it) directing pedestrians to both the Red and Green Lines.

That's why I thought that the question needed clarification.

That was what I had meant. I was referring to possible extra service to/from 35th to accomodate fans going to New Comiskey. From looking at the map, it looks like there's going to be both Red and Green trains stopping at 35-IIT-Bronzeville, but would that be enough to accomodate displaced passengers off the Dan Ryan branch?

That was what I had meant. I was referring to possible extra service to/from 35th to accomodate fans going to New Comiskey. From looking at the map, it looks like there's going to be both Red and Green trains stopping at 35-IIT-Bronzeville, but would that be enough to accomodate displaced passengers off the Dan Ryan branch?

In that theoretically, Red Line trains, other than those shown on the schedule to be short turns in the morning rush hour, will be running through to Ashland 63, it should be sufficient. All that is lost are Green Line 63-Ashland trains.

I wouldn't know if CTA would have put extra service on the Red Line for Sox games in any event, nor if that would be affected by the detour.

In that theoretically, Red Line trains, other than those shown on the schedule to be short turns in the morning rush hour, will be running through to Ashland 63, it should be sufficient. All that is lost are Green Line 63-Ashland trains.

I wouldn't know if CTA would have put extra service on the Red Line for Sox games in any event, nor if that would be affected by the detour.

I don't think they would add any more Red Line service for Sox games in comparison to what they do now. I'm sure there is some increase in service for Sox and Cub games, but I don't think the detour will have a significant effect. For Sox games, it is just a slightly longer walk to the train, and all of the public housing that was once near 35th/State is ancient history.

And this is why you don't go from car to car while the train is in motion unless your safety is threatened. I have no sympathy for this individual. I seen people going from car to car on the Brown Line in the past, I even alerted the Operator for this very reason.

And this is why you don't go from car to car while the train is in motion unless your safety is threatened. I have no sympathy for this individual. I seen people going from car to car on the Brown Line in the past, I even alerted the Operator for this very reason.

I see that John Garcia had it both ways: "Authorities say the victim was moving between cars and ended up on the

track on the Orange Line near the 2500-block of South Archer. It is not known how the victim ended up on the tracks." I would think either gravity or momentum.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't post the chain of CTA traffic reports "medical emergency" "someone on the tracks" and about 1-1/2 hours later "fatality."

On a similar topic (I guess random elsewhere) WGN News had the usual video of a stroller going over the side of a platform in Philadelphia and mommy then jumping over the side to retrieve baby, and then other passengers pulling mommy up. The difference was that they said there was an emergency button which someone (I don't remember if it was those on the platform or a customer assistant) could push to prevent the train from entering the station. Then Tom Skilling commented "don't they have electric rails or something down there?" I guess they don't teach that in meteorology school.

I've seen people go between cars to smoke a cigarette. I remember in the old days, when a conductor would pass between cars to collect fares, they would do so when the train was at full speed on curves. I always wondered how they kept there balance. Another thing, when the #6000's were new the conductors would ride between cars and operate the doors standing on little footrests. I really would've like to see that. That seems impossible to do without falling off now that I think of it.

I've crossed between cars many times with no problems. Yet in this case, there is a curve about 1/4 mile east of the Halsted station that the trains usually take at a high speed. If the man was going between cars whiie the train was going into or through the curve, I suppose he could've lost his footing via a gap that is created when cars are turning. If the cars are turning to the right in the direction of travel, the gap is created on the left between the cars, so if you miss the step while turning...

Earlier this week, an operator chastised a rider because he would change cars at each station. For instance he was in car 6 at Kedzie and got off to get into car 5 at that station. Then at Central Park, he got off of car 5 to go to car 4. She announced on the PA if he tried it again she would leave him on the platform. If a car is completely crowded and the next car over is not nearly as crowded, it is probably easier to go between cars rather than wait to get off at a station and hope you can get on another car and not get left. BTW, I've done this on Metra also, but at least on Metra there is something that will keep you from going onto the tracks.

A quick Saturday scan of Bus Tracker indicates that the following bus moves have recently occurred, setting the table for the Red Line shutdown.

To 77th: 1273-1274 from FG

1309 from NP (just within the past day or two)

1347 from K

To 103rd: 1271-1272 from FG

1592-1597 from K

Also: It looks as if the 4300s at Kedzie were held in Saturday, except for 4347, which could have

been an oversight. Otherwise, all Roosevelt Road and short-turn Sheridan runs were filled

by 4000s. Could the 4300s be migrating southward?

So far, there doesn't seem to have been any movement of artics from NP; 4000s were out

in abundance on Clark Street. None of the 4106-4207s seem to have been disturbed either.

But, there's still Sunday.