More Bus Moves

sw4400

Their going to be getting alot more #1000's after the Ryan project is over.

Why would it be after the project is over? I thought it would be the other way around since buses would be needed for bumped up service outside the shuttle routes. Would it be because of the new Novas are going to start up a few short months after the project? I don't try to guess the deployments among the roster because I manage to guess wrong so I'm honestly just trying to understand your thought sequence on this. :lol:

Why would it be after the project is over? I thought it would be the other way around since buses would be needed for bumped up service outside the shuttle routes. Would it be because of the new Novas are going to start up a few short months after the project? I don't try to guess the deployments among the roster because I manage to guess wrong so I'm honestly just trying to understand your thought sequence on this. :lol:

Because then the Novas are going to start being retired starting at 77th. CTA won't need the extra buses no more. Extra artics most likely will be spread around the system (if they can get 74th and Chicago artic capable with the hoists by then) this will displace #1000's to go most likely to 77th as they have the oldest novas. When the new Novas come in by the winter then the #6400 retirement will continue at the other garages that have #6400's.

Because then the Novas are going to start being retired starting at 77th. CTA won't need the extra buses no more. Extra artics most likely will be spread around the system (if they can get 74th and Chicago artic capable with the hoists by then) this will displace #1000's to go most likely to 77th as they have the oldest novas. When the new Novas come in by the winter then the #6400 retirement will continue at the other garages that have #6400's.

So you're thinking there's a possibility some garage rehabs will be done under a more optimistic some others might give them credit for accomplishing and any extra artics crammed in anywhere would displace 1000s in some spots. That does make sense. Under that scenario I would probably look more for 1000s in that circumstance to come more from Chicago than 74th since they could easily look at the large number of Novas at 74th and either retire some of those since so many Novas got delivered out of sequence for lower number buses in this case not to necessarily mean the bus is older or they get shifted elsewhere so as to retire some Novas somewhere else and Novas still possibly get retired at more than one garage. There's also the factor that North Park especially, at a bit more than 130 artics, and in some ways 103rd are at an excess of artics. I don't mention 77th because your thought of retirements of Novas starting there leaves open some acknowledgment, please correct me if I got this part of your thinking wrong, that 77th would still be inclined to hold on to artics for the 4 and 79 as they're currently using them initially, though it's more rush hour use so far, and possibly 2, 3, 8 and 87.

The block shuffle could also be in preparation for the 1000-Series gut rehabs which will start in the next month or so. I don't know CTA's plan for the rehabs. Are they going to do it numerically or by garage?

Given that it's implied and in some cases openly said that they want to keep the rehabs from being too disruptive to service where the passengers wouldn't likely notice anything until they got on a 1000 that's essentially a new bus, BusHunter's reasoning sounds a bit more likely to me in the way he explained how his hypothesis lines up.

So you're thinking there's a possibility some garage rehabs will be done under a more optimistic some others might give them credit for accomplishing and any extra artics crammed in anywhere would displace 1000s in some spots. That does make sense. Under that scenario I would probably look more for 1000s in that circumstance to come more from Chicago than 74th since they could easily look at the large number of Novas at 74th and either retire some of those since so many Novas got delivered out of sequence for lower number buses in this case not to necessarily mean the bus is older or they get shifted elsewhere so as to retire some Novas somewhere else and Novas still possibly get retired at more than one garage. There's also the factor that North Park especially, at a bit more than 130 artics, and in some ways 103rd are at an excess of artics. I don't mention 77th because your thought of retirements of Novas starting there leaves open some acknowledgment, please correct me if I got this part of your thinking wrong, that 77th would still be inclined to hold on to artics for the 4 and 79 as they're currently using them initially, though it's more rush hour use so far, and possibly 2, 3, 8 and 87.

Well the hoists being replaced at Fg, South Shops and 77th (phase 1) is slated to be done by the end of the month. Phase two should be starting in may and last a few months. Maybe they can get a phase 3 done by Sept. Then most if not all the garages should be either artic capable or have had their hoists replaced.

Well the hoists being replaced at Fg, South Shops and 77th (phase 1) is slated to be done by the end of the month. Phase two should be starting in may and last a few months. Maybe they can get a phase 3 done by Sept. Then most if not all the garages should be either artic capable or have had their hoists replaced.

Ok. CTA5750 has brought up the space issue at FG also being a hindrance to that one getting artics in addition to the matter of hoists that are capable of holding up one today's CTA artics for maintenance. The way that one garage has just its 40 foot buses aligned in addition to the tight squeeze the surrounding residential areas puts on it being able to expand spacewise tends to make me agree with him at least on that one. Plus I just have this feeling that Chicago would be a larger source of 1000s heading south before the other garages would because outside of Kedzie and NP which both don't really need more artics, it's the one garage not on the south side that has an abundance of 1000s. I'm thinking there'll possibly be a shifting of Novas to replace retired ones, especially Novas moving some from 74th if that one sees artics within the next year, to keep in line with Busjack's hypothesis that the Nova garages may end up getting the new model ones that will replace the ones that remain after the 4300s help knock out some after the Dan Ryan project is over.

Not sure if it goes here or there, but the CTA Tattler says that a spokesmodel told that Kevin that articulated buses are going on 49 in the a.m. rush.

Also, more artics on 82 in the p.m. rush.

Two of those artics on the 82 are still in service for the rest of the evening it looks like. One for each direction and both are clean diesels. The other four buses on the route are 1000s. And the way I see the increased use in artics during the a.m. rush on the 49 working is if a good chunk of those 74th runs in the a.m. populated mostly in Novas from that garage were turned over to North Park. From the prior pick from what I saw a large number of the runs were 74th runs in the a.m. And I see the person who responded to your comment on the Tattler didn't quite comprehend what you meant about Hilkevitch and Tracy Swartz misquoting what the 52 change was.

....And I see the person who responded to your comment on the Tattler didn't quite comprehend what you meant about Hilkevitch and Tracy Swartz misquoting what the 52 change was.

If you mean whateva, it took me a minute to figure out what your complaint was. I'll respond there.

I didn't have any complaints. Whoever whateva is had the complaint. I was just mentioning I noticed the response. :lol:

After posting here, I didn't think complaint was the correct word, but describing how you set off my mental process eluded me.

And whateva didn't have a complaint. Her post made sense until the word "inaccurate."

I'm having trouble with the BusTracker display, but it looks like 4107, 4132, and 4170 are on 49 at the moment.

attachicon.gif4132.jpg attachicon.gif4170.jpg

Well, judging by the time, it looks like CTA got the message about the overcrowding of 40' buses on Addison and Western when Lane Tech lets out. It's ridiculous to have that many students pile onto one bus all the way up to the front doors on the wheelchair ramp.

Well, judging by the time, it looks like CTA got the message about the overcrowding of 40' buses on Addison and Western when Lane Tech lets out. It's ridiculous to have that many students pile onto one bus all the way up to the front doors on the wheelchair ramp.

That we can agree on. It makes no sense for North Park to have a little over 130 artics if they're only going to keep them concentrated on 22, 151 and the Lake Shore expresses assigned there and not use them on other routes they have assigned that can use at least some like their part of the 49 during the rush periods. And it looks like they're gone beyond what the Tattler reported and made use not just in morning rush but also the evening rush. And it looks like Kedzie's take on more artics on the 82 during evening rush is to use two clean diesels (their preferred artic on this route it seems from looking at their recent artic deployments on this route) all day and add one more during the p.m rush.

I saw 4355 this afternoon EB on 62 Archer and 4184 at the 35th/Archer Orange Line at about the same time. I'm guessing 4184 was working the 50 Damen (bus had Not In Service) sign on.

That would make sense for 4184 since the 50 is the only route serving 35th/Archer that's assigned to North Park unless it was on loan. A check on BusTracker turns up nothing so maybe it did a SB trip and went out of service.

I saw 4355 this afternoon EB on 62 Archer and 4184 at the 35th/Archer Orange Line at about the same time. I'm guessing 4184 was working the 50 Damen (bus had Not In Service) sign on.

Yesterday there were two artics on Archer. This was around when Curie H.S. was letting out. I first thought they were school runs, one was in front of Curie but the other one was at Archer/Pershing heading SB in service.

Yesterday there were two artics on Archer. This was around when Curie H.S. was letting out. I first thought they were school runs, one was in front of Curie but the other one was at Archer/Pershing heading SB in service.

Does that high school on California and Archer, I think the name of it is Kelly, have a large number of students that possibly use the 62 Archer? If the answer is yes then maybe the second artic you saw was a school run like your first thought.

Does that high school on California and Archer, I think the name of it is Kelly, have a large number of students that possibly use the 62 Archer? If the answer is yes then maybe the second artic you saw was a school run like your first thought.

Yes both Curie and Kelly have a good amount of students who ride the 62 when school lets out. Most of them take it all the way to Chinatown, which is why the school trippers usually end at Clark. I've noticed some of these short-turns head northbound on Clark to downtown to begin a run on the 156 now that Kedzie operates these school runs, but as mentioned, some turn back southbound to serve another school trip.

Today, I've seen the artics #4031 New Flyer bus on #62 Archer route near Kennedy High school near Archer Avenue and Narragansett Avenue. Lots of Kennedy students jammed pack on this bus.

I didn't realize the #62 had all those school runs, but with it being served by Kedzie, they do have an ample supply of artics. I even saw one on the #35 serving as a sox extra yesterday (#4035) It's been awhile since I heard of an artic on the #35. (that may go way back to when Archer had artics, but I don't even remember them running artics then on the #35. (unless they run artics for that new school at 31st/Kostner., but I think they only run #53A school runs out of there.) Maybe in time when 77th gets enough artics maybe they could run artics again on the #53A. They have alot of schools on Pulaski. The 31st/Kostner one, Curie and I believe Bogan down at 79th/Pulaski. No doubt the latter is benefiting off the artics on #79.