More Bus Moves

sw4400

There shouldn't be any reason to doubt 9 Ashland or 49 Western.

If the reasoning is higher loads of people then yeah you may have a point, but you didn't say anything about those two. You said because the X80 is eliminated that's why the 80 Irving Park should have artics. The elimination of the crosstown express routes alone is not a valid enough reason to justify artics, especially when the locals got their levels ramped back up to cover those eliminations. The average number of riders on a given bus of the route is the main determining factor.

Lake View HS got extra trippers on #80 for their dismissal. I don't know if those trips still run or not, but an extra bus or two just to serve a high school dismissal is a fairly standard thing. No need to assign artics just for that. Heck, you could say the #68 needs artics because Taft lets out and crowds those buses down to Jeff Park.

Lake View HS got extra trippers on #80 for their dismissal. I don't know if those trips still run or not, but an extra bus or two just to serve a high school dismissal is a fairly standard thing. No need to assign artics just for that. Heck, you could say the #68 needs artics because Taft lets out and crowds those buses down to Jeff Park.

Taft already gets tripper service from route #91 Austin. That is shown on CTA route maps.

I again agree that route #77 Belmont needs artics, even late in the evenings. Review this forum post with a photograph of the queue for a westbound #77 bus @ Kimball at 24:40.

Well it looks like 4054 has crept from Kedzie up to North Park. It's on the 147. No comment on why they still act like they only have three artic ready garages until after this Brown Line work on the Wells street bridge and the curve just north of Merchandise Mart and that work on the Tower 18 junction gets done over that two week period early next month and again in late April. The recent posting on the CTA site of what service will look like at those times makes me now do a wait and see approach for now.

Well it looks like 4054 has crept from Kedzie up to North Park. It's on the 147. No comment on why they still act like they only have three artic ready garages until after this Brown Line work on the Wells street bridge and the curve just north of Merchandise Mart and that work on the Tower 18 junction gets done over that two week period early next month and again in late April. The recent posting on the CTA site of what service will look like at those times makes me now do a wait and see approach for now.

That occurred about a week ago (as far as the reassignment of the 4050s are concerned). North Park now has 4053-4079 in addition to 4106-4207.

If you rode the #80 when Lakeview lets out or the #152 when Lane Tech lets out, you might disagree. I've posted pics of a crammed NOVA during a time when Lane Tech let out(I've seen almost similar cramming on #80 40' buses when Lakeview lets out). I believe having a 60' bus at least run to Cicero might help ease the overcrowding.

There should be four(P, K, 7, 1), but you got me why none are at 77th. Many say it's because they have no artic-assigned routes anymore. But I've seen artics running on Damen, which is a route normally not assigned artics. I'm sure some routes at 77th could use artics at some point during the day. No other garages can house/repair artics until rehabs are started this spring and completed in 2015.

Lane Tech and the 152 already get artics. I don't know what "almost similar" means, with respect to loads on the #80 (makes the whole statement sound very iffy). A crowded bus in and of itself doesn't justify artics. Until recently, CTA's service standard during peak times for a 40-foot bus was 60+ passengers, and that doesn't necessarily mean that no bus can have more than 60 passengers, but that averaged out over a certain period (usually a half hour), the average loads shouldn't exceed 60.

A single trip that might exceed 60 because of a school (and again, Lake View did get an extra tripper above standard service to serve their dismissal; I don't know if it still runs, but it probably does) does not in and of itself justify putting an artic out there, especially if everything else on the route is doing fine with 40-footers.

Lane Tech and the 152 already get artics. I don't know what "almost similar" means, with respect to loads on the #80 (makes the whole statement sound very iffy). A crowded bus in and of itself doesn't justify artics. Until recently, CTA's service standard during peak times for a 40-foot bus was 60+ passengers, and that doesn't necessarily mean that no bus can have more than 60 passengers, but that averaged out over a certain period (usually a half hour), the average loads shouldn't exceed 60.

A single trip that might exceed 60 because of a school (and again, Lake View did get an extra tripper above standard service to serve their dismissal; I don't know if it still runs, but it probably does) does not in and of itself justify putting an artic out there, especially if everything else on the route is doing fine with 40-footers.

I believe it all depends on the crowd load whether a school gets artics or not. From my days of going to Lane, the total student body was well over 4300. That's one of the biggest crowds in the city. That couldn't be done without artics or you would need 1/3 more buses and also you would majorly delay the regular service. Schurz is a pretty big school also, if you look at the terrain it covers. (probably why they are getting artics even if it's just one or two per street) As far as Lakeview, SW4400 is right service is pretty overcrowded in the afternoons. I have seen three full standing load buses in packs on the #80 myself. Probably CTA needs to take a look at the ridership over there and make a decision. I don't see how an artic or two wouldn't hurt on the #80, especially now with NP so heavily packed with artics.

I believe it all depends on the crowd load whether a school gets artics or not. From my days of going to Lane, the total student body was well over 4300. That's one of the biggest crowds in the city. That couldn't be done without artics or you would need 1/3 more buses and also you would majorly delay the regular service. Schurz is a pretty big school also, if you look at the terrain it covers. (probably why they are getting artics even if it's just one or two per street) As far as Lakeview, SW4400 is right service is pretty overcrowded in the afternoons. I have seen three full standing load buses in packs on the #80 myself. Probably CTA needs to take a look at the ridership over there and make a decision. I don't see how an artic or two wouldn't hurt on the #80, especially now with NP so heavily packed with artics.

I'm not going to disagree with this either, because the 80 in and of itself, is crowded during the rush hours. The school trippers help, but not every student will be on that particular run. It would've been nice to get on an artic when the X80 went kaput in 2010 (I didn't appreciate my commute doubling to the Blue Line and the 78 was unreliable).

I think looking at the policy and looking at trends for the route would justify one or two. It doesn't need to be a 50:50 ratio like most other routes ::coughs:: 77 ::coughs::, but if you want to help with capacity, sometimes multiple 40-footers doesn't necessarily help the cause.

And I'm not sure if it's fair to compare Taft to Lane/Lakeview/Schurz/Steinmetz as it would to Payton/Noble/Orr/Wells where you're in far denser part of town, and needs would justify an artic or two there.

I'm not going to disagree with this either, because the 80 in and of itself, is crowded during the rush hours. The school trippers help, but not every student will be on that particular run. It would've been nice to get on an artic when the X80 went kaput in 2010 (I didn't appreciate my commute doubling to the Blue Line and the 78 was unreliable).

I think looking at the policy and looking at trends for the route would justify one or two. It doesn't need to be a 50:50 ratio like most other routes ::coughs:: 77 ::coughs::, but if you want to help with capacity, sometimes multiple 40-footers doesn't necessarily help the cause.

And I'm not sure if it's fair to compare Taft to Lane/Lakeview/Schurz/Steinmetz as it would to Payton/Noble/Orr/Wells where you're in far denser part of town, and needs would justify an artic or two there.

Probably we'll be seeing more school runs with artics now that there are so many. The trouble with making the #80 or #77 more artic is those would have to come from somewhere else. I highly doubt FG garage will ever see artics.

Probably we'll be seeing more school runs with artics now that there are so many. The trouble with making the #80 or #77 more artic is those would have to come from somewhere else. I highly doubt FG garage will ever see artics.

I think NP could suppliment #80 and #77 artic service until FG becomes artic capable.

Okay a few members have floated the idea of school runs on 77 and 80 being done with artics now that NP has increased its total yet again. But wouldn't that have to wait for the spring pick next month since NP didn't start any coverage of school runs in this current one that started the decrowd plan?

....But wouldn't that have to wait for the spring pick next month since NP didn't start any coverage of school runs in this current one that started the decrowd plan?

There is going to have to be a pick or something to cover the Wells St. replacement service, which starts in a couple of weeks (Mar 1).