More Bus Moves

sw4400

Today before I pulled off to start my 108 halsted route I saw a 900 series NF bus pull in 103rd garage. I'm going to have to find out what's going on, right now I'm guessing it's probably a loaner from Kedzie because of the shuttle routes every garage is pitching in for the Brown Line do hickey.

I just saw 6751 headed NB on Lincoln near Warner. Display said "Not In Service" and its run number began with an "F".

Perhaps this was a westbound route #77 Belmont bus detouring around the construction @ Belmont & Ravenswood?

Perhaps this was a westbound route #77 Belmont bus detouring around the construction @ Belmont & Ravenswood?

It was too far north. I seen #77 Belmont buses turning from Lincoln west onto Addison, south on Western and west on Belmont. This bus was heading north on Lincoln past Irving Park Rd. empty and Not In Service.

Today before I pulled off to start my 108 halsted route I saw a 900 series NF bus pull in 103rd garage. I'm going to have to find out what's going on, right now I'm guessing it's probably a loaner from Kedzie because of the shuttle routes every garage is pitching in for the Brown Line do hickey.

Speaking of the Brown line do hickey, the wells street bridge is now down. They must be close to finished. BTW, speaking of Lincoln I wonder what's going to happen to the JCDecaux shelters. (like at Lincoln and Belmont) Last I looked they were removing the ones on the former #56A (Bryn Mawr/Milwaukee NB)

Speaking of the Brown line do hickey, the wells street bridge is now down. They must be close to finished. BTW, speaking of Lincoln I wonder what's going to happen to the JCDecaux shelters. (like at Lincoln and Belmont) Last I looked they were removing the ones on the former #56A (Bryn Mawr/Milwaukee NB)

Which gets essentially to the point made by the Sun-Times about the route 37 signs. There still is a Pace bus stopping at Milwaukee-Bryn Mawr, but no bus stopping on that portion of Lincoln. However, since an advertising company is paying CDOT to put shelters on its property [note that CTA doesn't really have a role here], maybe it thinks that people walking on Lincoln will still need a seat and see its ads.

• 2 weeks later...

Police: Man punches CTA bus driver in Chatham. I bet his chatham hurts. According to the story, also his face.

Also, according to the story, "the man began causing a disturbance aboard a CTA bus in the 7700 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue" .. "Julian Coats, 22, of the 800 block of East 80th Street..." "The 22-year-old, who lives in the area where the attack occurred." I would guess so.

In the recent powerpoint I posted in the Dan Ryan track forum, they mention a plan to use hybrid buses for the shuttles and other bus service in the area for the shutdown. Maybe this is the start of it.

In the recent powerpoint I posted in the Dan Ryan track forum, they mention a plan to use hybrid buses for the shuttles and other bus service in the area for the shutdown. Maybe this is the start of it.

Well I've been told they want to run artics exclusively for the shuttles, but that they would all be hybrids may not be totally true in the case of #4333-#4399 which are diesels. (maybe the powerpoint goofed) If you add up the extra buses with what's proposed to happen (35-40 artics come south from NP, 103rd has 25 extra artics now, and 77th is projected to receive what's left of the #4300's about 35-40 buses) that would put you pretty close to the 100 extra buses. 77th is not expected to retire Novas yet, except for the 2 going to Olive Harvey. The next pick has FG taking over the #X98, maybe they will share some routes also with NP. I thought maybe the #X98 would need artics as FG will not be receiving any, but maybe they plan on running more buses.

Well I've been told they want to run artics exclusively for the shuttles, but that they would all be hybrids may not be totally true in the case of #4333-#4399 which are diesels. (maybe the powerpoint goofed) If you add up the extra buses with what's proposed to happen (35-40 artics come south from NP, 103rd has 25 extra artics now, and 77th is projected to receive what's left of the #4300's about 35-40 buses) that would put you pretty close to the 100 extra buses. 77th is not expected to retire Novas yet, except for the 2 going to Olive Harvey. The next pick has FG taking over the #X98, maybe they will share some routes also with NP. I thought maybe the #X98 would need artics as FG will not be receiving any, but maybe they plan on running more buses.

Hilkevitch made a reference, in connection to the shuttle plan not going to work about "Each bus, carrying an average of 49 passengers, is expected to leave the 95th Street station at 90-second intervals..." Doesn't sound like articulated buses, unless owl enters into the average.

I suppose that, like the Wells St. shuttles, we'll find out 24 hours before it starts, or maybe that day.

Remember, I said they needed 100 buses, but not necessarily that 100 buses.

Hilkevitch made a reference, in connection to the shuttle plan not going to work about "Each bus, carrying an average of 49 passengers, is expected to leave the 95th Street station at 90-second intervals..." Doesn't sound like articulated buses, unless owl enters into the average.

I suppose that, like the Wells St. shuttles, we'll find out 24 hours before it starts, or maybe that day.

Remember, I said they needed 100 buses, but not necessarily that 100 buses.

The Wells street shuttles were mostly artic, but there were a few 40 footers, 5% I would say, mostly out of Chicago. You might ask why 103rd mostly did the shuttles. because currently they have the extra buses and the other garages don't. (except maybe np) They are going to have buses from all garages do the ryan shuttles, but I expect the vast majority will be from the south side. I don't expect a place with no artics like Chicago or FG to be a major part of it. According to Sam92, they were going to run the shuttles with hybrids. I doubt 20 buses fit the bill. That's the major reason their getting these 100 #4300's. Isn't it a strange coincidence the order will be complete by May.

According to Sam92, they were going to run the shuttles with hybrids. I doubt 20 buses fit the bill. That's the major reason their getting these 100 #4300's. Isn't it a strange coincidence the order will be complete by May.

As I mentioned, it wasn't a coincidence. However, whether it is the same buses also seems to impact on the speculation about hybrids, since 67 are not.

The Wells street shuttles were mostly artic, but there were a few 40 footers, 5% I would say, mostly out of Chicago. You might ask why 103rd mostly did the shuttles. because currently they have the extra buses and the other garages don't. (except maybe np) They are going to have buses from all garages do the ryan shuttles, but I expect the vast majority will be from the south side. I don't expect a place with no artics like Chicago or FG to be a major part of it. According to Sam92, they were going to run the shuttles with hybrids. I doubt 20 buses fit the bill. That's the major reason their getting these 100 #4300's. Isn't it a strange coincidence the order will be complete by May.

Actually that's not entirely correct on the 40 footers that ran on the Brown Line shuttles. 74th operated a sizable number of the 40 foot buses running as shuttles on some of those days. In fact the days I saw 74th buses in operation, I saw few Chicago buses doing shuttle work. As for the 900 series bus on the 77th route, it was quite likely a loan. I doubt they're shifting buses this early for Dan Ryan shuttle work. When the Green line got shut down 19 years ago and the old 69th Garage needed buses for the 38, Kedzie didn't send its 4070s through 4090s among its Americanas there until after that project started.

• 2 weeks later...

In advance of the Spring pick, NP lost 1303 to at least 1308, plus 1964 and 1970, to 77th. Today, 1303 is on the #8 Halsted, 1308 is on the #53A South Pulaski and 1964 is on the #87 87th.

So giving back some of what was getting siphoned away from the south side in recent years As far as 1300 numbered 1000s go. 1970 also is on the #8.

So giving back some of what was getting siphoned away from the south side in recent years As far as 1300 numbered 1000s go. 1970 also is on the #8.

Yeah, sounds like there trying to get as many buses as they can (with longitudinal seating) for the Ryan crowd, although these are probably feeder buses. I wonder will they take any (longitudinal seat) buses away from Chicago?

Yeah, sounds like there trying to get as many buses as they can (with longitudinal seating) for the Ryan crowd, although these are probably feeder buses. I wonder will they take any (longitudinal seat) buses away from Chicago?

Well, 1300's are standard seating so those are probably just to have extra, but if they do plan on using a few with longtitutional seating then Chicago's the main source along with whoever has 1966-1976 evens (77th did an even-odd split with either NP or C keeping the odds but the evens have moved around.) The only thing longtitutional that NP really has left are the 4150's which may be some of the artics they send if thats the plan

Well, 1300's are standard seating so those are probably just to have extra, but if they do plan on using a few with longtitutional seating then Chicago's the main source along with whoever has 1966-1976 evens (77th did an even-odd split with either NP or C keeping the odds but the evens have moved around.) The only thing longtitutional that NP really has left are the 4150's which may be some of the artics they send if thats the plan

According to what RJL stated, only Chicago and 77th should now have the #1931- #2029 buses

Of the buses numbered between 1932 and 1981, buses 1972 and 1974 are the only ones that are not currently at 77th (they are still at Chicago for the time being).

Of the buses numbered between 1932 and 1981, buses 1972 and 1974 are the only ones that are not currently at 77th (they are still at Chicago for the time being).

Ahh... So NP has moved its longtitutional flyers after all. I remember someone referring to them as the land of the longtitutional back when the stimulus artics were being delivered.

Also keep in mind that 77th did have 1303-1308 prior to their assignment to NP which is what I meant by NP giving back some of what was taken from the south side. 77th did have 1309-1322 also up until a couple years ago when the got reassigned to NP but NP still has those for now.

Ahh... So NP has moved its longtitutional flyers after all. I remember someone referring to them as the land of the longtitutional back when the stimulus artics were being delivered.

Only its longitudinal 1000s. Its longitudinal ARTICS, are still there.