More Bus Moves

sw4400

.... (that may go way back to when Archer had artics, but I don't even remember them running artics then on the #35. (unless they run artics for that new school at 31st/Kostner., but I think they only run #53A school runs out of there.) ....

My impression was that the artics at Archer were mostly for the Stevenson express runs (99s, 162, 164 and the like). I'm sure though that someone will have a correction. :rolleyes:

My impression was that the artics at Archer were mostly for the Stevenson express runs (99s, 162, 164 and the like). I'm sure though that someone will have a correction. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I remember Archer running artics on the #53A for Curie back then. Of course they already were running artics on Archer for the #62 express'.

I didn't realize the #62 had all those school runs, but with it being served by Kedzie, they do have an ample supply of artics. I even saw one on the #35 serving as a sox extra yesterday (#4035) It's been awhile since I heard of an artic on the #35. (that may go way back to when Archer had artics, but I don't even remember them running artics then on the #35. (unless they run artics for that new school at 31st/Kostner., but I think they only run #53A school runs out of there.) Maybe in time when 77th gets enough artics maybe they could run artics again on the #53A. They have alot of schools on Pulaski. The 31st/Kostner one, Curie and I believe Bogan down at 79th/Pulaski. No doubt the latter is benefiting off the artics on #79.

I kinda believe the loss of the 145/148 (both routes that heavily used artics from Kedzie) is the main thing contributing to these new sightings cause now it gives a chance to put them where never used before to this degree. not only did it allow 62,35 and 66 to get some artic support, but now the 143 is almost all artic. The addition of 4300's is also a factor but looks like the loss of 145 was more of the factor seeing as these sightings were seen before Kedzie really seen some artics come in.

I'm pretty sure I remember Archer running artics on the #53A for Curie back then. Of course they already were running artics on Archer for the #62 express'.

Oh yeah I remember seeing artics quite a bit on the express form of the 62 when I was a kid and made trips downtown with my mom and grandmother. If you remember artics on the 53A specifically, it's also possible that the 162 had some form of interline with the 53A in those days. Heck. I remember a few rare occasions of artics running on the 94 in the period of the first time Archer had the route before being transferred and assigned to Kedzie for eight years. (Bill V incorrectly lists that period as Lawndale being that route's home garage when indeed it was Kedzie).

I kinda believe the loss of the 145/148 (both routes that heavily used artics from Kedzie) is the main thing contributing to these new sightings cause now it gives a chance to put them where never used before to this degree. not only did it allow 62,35 and 66 to get some artic support, but now the 143 is almost all artic. The addition of 4300's is also a factor but looks like the loss of 145 was more of the factor seeing as these sightings were seen before Kedzie really seen some artics come in.

Well actually 143 is only heavily artic in the PM rush. In the AM it's still run primarily with 1000s. That's a mimic of how North Park covers the 148 on any given normal weekday. As for the 62, it did have artic coverage in the days of Archer garage being assigned artics. A lot of times it was the 62 express that had artics but some of the 62 locals also had artics. But you are right that the elimination the 145 and the revised 148 being assigned solely to North Park leaves Kedzie more opportunities than it had to assign artics elsewhere including facilitating a return of artics to Archer avenue after a couple of decades. Having 4300s helps in that somewhat but it's more the fact of not having 145 and 148.

Looks like 108 is using artics in the early morning. The 95E run I started taking (5 am) has been 4300's for the last few dayys and that run interlines with the 108 once it reaches the Ryan

Sort of debunks the "turn it over to Pace" contention.

Re: Elimination of 145: Only relevant to the portion on Wilson, since the part south of there (including the Grace trips) was folded into 146. Also, during rush hour, not relevant at all, since Wilson was covered by 148, which is still running, but on part of the old 144.

Thus, if rush hour sets the maximum number of buses needed, that isn't the explanation unless a number of artics were running on 144.

Re: Elimination of 145: Only relevant to the portion on Wilson, since the part south of there (including the Grace trips) was folded into 146. Also, during rush hour, not relevant at all, since Wilson was covered by 148, which is still running, but on part of the old 144.

Thus, if rush hour sets the maximum number of buses needed, that isn't the explanation unless a number of artics were running on 144.

Actually his whole response about the elimination of 145 as a whole is relevant because the 146 is assigned completely to North Park while Kedzie operated most of the runs on 145 weekday runs. So he is right that Kedzie has more artics available for use elsewhere since what portions of 145 south of Wilson folded into the 146 schedule is still covered by North Park artics as 146 is a North Park only route, which is the reasoning he was getting at in saying that the loss of 145 and 148 from Kedzie allows them to use artics in spots many aren't used to seeing them. 143 sure as heck doesn't use enough with the 134 even with 143's bumped up schedules after the December 16 change.

• Upvote 1

Actually his whole response about the elimination of 145 as a whole is relevant because the 146 is assigned completely to North Park while Kedzie operated most of the runs on 145 weekday runs....

I forgot that detail. However, it would still be a function of getting more articulated buses, as otherwise NP wouldn't have the {what did someone say} 130 articulated buses to, in effect, take over half of 146 from Kedzie (formerly run as 145/148).

I forgot that detail. However, it would still be a function of getting more articulated buses, as otherwise NP wouldn't have the {what did someone say} 130 articulated buses to, in effect, take over half of 146 from Kedzie (formerly run as 145/148).

But also remember North Park already had the artics to do that anyway given at the time of the decrowd change, its artic count was a little over 100. And it took on those short trips some few months before the total system artic count grew high enough for North Park to take on the 30 some artics total displaced by 4300s at 103rd and Kedzie garages over these last almost four months since the decrowd plan became effective. And even with 130 artics, North Park still isn't always using all artics on 135, 136, 146, 147 and 148. So I still don't think number of artics at North Park holds as much of the weight of 146 doing much of the service of 145 south of Wilson that you're placing. But let's say you're right, that still doesn't change the initial point that 145 being eliminated and 148 being reworked and given completely to North Park left Kedzie with more artics than it needs to do express work and its usual runs on 151 and 156. And to Sam's point the net gain of 8 to 10 artics between the delivery of 4300s and relevant transfers of displaced 4000s helped that statement be even more true.

Since the 4300s' official assignment to 77th, and also due to that garage's pickup of 1303-1308 from North Park, I'm surprised that 77th did not lose any recently acquired Novas (6819-6831 and 6833-6847) back to Forest Glen. Instead, NP gave up at least 1273 and 1274 (and possibly 1275) to Forest Glen.

Since the 4300s' official assignment to 77th, and also due to that garage's pickup of 1303-1308 from North Park, I'm surprised that 77th did not lose any recently acquired Novas (6819-6831 and 6833-6847) back to Forest Glen. Instead, NP gave up at least 1273 and 1274 (and possibly 1275) to Forest Glen.

Did you mean 77th give up those three buses to Forest Glen since NP never had any 1200s unless they were borrowed?

Did you mean 77th give up those three buses to Forest Glen since NP never had any 1200s unless they were borrowed?

Sorry that I wasn't clear. After the arrival of the 4300s, 1303-1308, 1964 and 1970, 77th now had a bit too many buses. Therefore, the sendoff of 1273-1274 (and possibly 1275) to FG was partial compensation for FG's loss of 6819-6831 and 6833-6847 to 77th. 1276 is still at 77th for now. Expect additional transfers of 1270s to FG over the coming weeks.

The acquisition of 1303-1308 from NP was because NP now had too many artics, to the point that they began using them on many of its local routes that normally doesn't run with such buses (at least on weekdays).

Sorry that I wasn't clear. After the arrival of the 4300s, 1303-1308, 1964 and 1970, 77th now had a bit too many buses. Therefore, the sendoff of 1273-1274 (and possibly 1275) to FG was partial compensation for FG's loss of 6819-6831 and 6833-6847 to 77th. 1276 is still at 77th for now. Expect additional transfers of 1270s to FG over the coming weeks.

The acquisition of 1303-1308 from NP was because NP now had too many artics, to the point that they began using them on many of its local routes that normally doesn't run with such buses (at least on weekdays).

As 77th receives more artics, more high #1270's and 80's will move to FG. Not seeing too many Optimas in service lately at FG, I wonder if maybe their just going to retire what FG has left for Optimas. (especially with the changing of the schedules for #54A, #81W, #85A, #88 to up to 35 minute intervals, they now need a bigger bus) As far as 77th, it would appear that if their transferring buses out for artics, then the artics might stay at 77th past the Ryan shutdown. (of course they could always transfer buses back) Then we also need to take into account the North side is going to need more buses for the summer pick coming up for Lincoln PK etc. So there will be alot of transferring this year for CTA.

I overheard an operator from Forest Glen complaining about how bad the Optimas were. He also mentioned that June 1st would be their last day in service. How valid that is- I'm not sure, but I still think there could be a very small use for those buses with cta...just not 45 of them.

I overheard an operator from Forest Glen complaining about how bad the Optimas were. He also mentioned that June 1st would be their last day in service. How valid that is- I'm not sure, but I still think there could be a very small use for those buses with cta...just not 45 of them.

That would make sense if you figure that's when the U of C service quits for the summer. I thought someone (maybe Busjack) said they were not renewing the contract for those #170's/U of C routes past this school year. 103rd has extra #4300 artics now, so they could easily get rid of the 103rd Optimas. If you figure 77th transfers 35 #1000's to FG for 35 new #4300's, then most likely what would happen would be they would retire the 25 optimas at Fg and possibly transfer out some more Fg #6800's to get rid of a few of the worst and oldest novas at 77th.

That would make sense if you figure that's when the U of C service quits for the summer. I thought someone (maybe Busjack) said they were not renewing the contract for those #170's/U of C routes past this school year. 103rd has extra #4300 artics now, so they could easily get rid of the 103rd Optimas. If you figure 77th transfers 35 #1000's to FG for 35 new #4300's, then most likely what would happen would be they would retire the 25 optimas at Fg and possibly transfer out some more Fg #6800's to get rid of a few of the worst and oldest novas at 77th.

Well I personally would love to see some Novas come to 103rd if they were to get rid of the optima buses.

...I thought someone (maybe Busjack) said they were not renewing the contract for those #170's/U of C routes past this school year. ...

The contract is up Aug. 31, 2013, but service is usually scaled down during the summer. See this post.

Don't know if chgofan78's overhearing was just re FG or in its entirety.

Well I personally would love to see some Novas come to 103rd if they were to get rid of the optima buses.

103 is getting rid of the 170 routes, so there isn't a need for replacement buses. As far as getting any of the 2014 Novas, one couldn't tell, but my betting is against it.

Just checked this evening: 1275 is still at 77th for now. It's on the #3 right now.

Did I miss something? I know I haven't rode a NP bus in a while, but when did upper 1200's come over? Last time there were 1200's at NP, they had 1220's and 1230's, but that was a LONG time ago... 2007 to be exact, as I posted here

Did I miss something? I know I haven't rode a NP bus in a while, but when did upper 1200's come over? Last time there were 1200's at NP, they had 1220's and 1230's, but that was a LONG time ago... 2007 to be exact, as I posted here

1273 & 1274, & 1275 were 77th buses. I believe they went to F, and 1305 through 1308 went from P to 77th.. I also saw bus 1980 operating on the 8 Halsted.

I'm a little off topic here but it looks like they started the "gut rehab" on the 1000 series buses. Yesterday on my way home I spotted a 77th garage bus #1283 to be exact doing the 4. It had the blue interior lights inside with what looked like LED interior lights inside.

I'm a little off topic here but it looks like they started the "gut rehab" on the 1000 series buses. Yesterday on my way home I spotted a 77th garage bus #1283 to be exact doing the 4. It had the blue interior lights inside with what looked like LED interior lights inside.

That bus came like that along with 1272, 1275, 1276 except those 3 have lights more like 4149 whole 1283 uses the same as 4150-4207. Made the same mistake myself :lol:

That bus came like that along with 1272, 1275, 1276 except those 3 have lights more like 4149 whole 1283 uses the same as 4150-4207. Made the same mistake myself :lol: