More Bus Moves

sw4400

Don't tell me we have another NABI fiasco on our hands with the 4000's.

Of all the "jump" buses there are, 4097 is the only one that I haven't seen recently, so let's not "jump" to any conclusions. :lol: All those buses that pace2322 mentioned could just be there for preventive maintenance and that they're there at the same time by mere coincidence.

Here's my suggestion on how 103rd can put Artics on the #26, reroute the route by turning on 79th from south shore, left turn on exchange and continue down the normal route

What would be the purpose of thst? The turn at 79th/South Shore is no different than the turn at 83rd/Exhange. Remember South Shore runs on an angle to 79th before straightening out.

OT but the City is extending "Lake Shore Drive" southeast from 79th through the former US Steel property, ending near Harbor Dr and Ewing. Once housing is developed there, I wonder if extending the 6 & rerouting the 26 & 71 becomes an option. The new road is scheduled to be completed this fall. When the housing is completed, it is expected to add 8,000 residents. There was also talk of making South Shore and Exchange one ways north of 79th to handle an expected increase in traffic. This is still a ways off though.

Given that this was from a cell phone camera, I doubt either of them thought about or even knew that they were on camera. (Not one from a phone anyway)

As I said, the bus video should have also been available and the driver should have known that.

And given the prevalence of smart phones, even where they can be stolen, like on the CTA, the two were still dummies.

... This is still a ways off though.

Definitely. Ms. Former Alderwoman didn't get it developed.

However, if it ever gets developed to the extent that it supports transit service, the question will arise that while there has never been a streetcar or bus route named "Commercial Ave.," whether that's what 26 and 71 (based on the former 27 South Deering) were designed to serve? Or does Nonjacksons Shore Drive get its own downtown route?

Of all the "jump" buses there are, 4097 is the only one that I haven't seen recently, so let's not "jump" to any conclusions. :lol: All those buses that pace2322 mentioned could just be there for preventive maintenance and that they're there at the same time by mere coincidence.

Is it possible that they could be installing the bustracker screens there?

As I said, the bus video should have also been available and the driver should have known that.

And given the prevalence of smart phones, even where they can be stolen, like on the CTA, the two were still dummies.

And again I don't think folks walk around thinking about that so obviously it didn't matter to these two. And this discussion is beginning to run in circles so it's probably better to just let it stand at that. Yeah both probably should know better but I stick by most of the stupidity went on the idiot sticking his freaking arms in the door of moving bus.

Of course, I agree it makes no sense to add more artics there, but someone is going to have to add artics, unless you plan on sending 80 artics to 77th. That's the pickle there in not having the other garages artic capable. In time when that happens probably some of the surplus will leave those garages.

And who said anything about adding 80 artics to 77th dude? That comment is irrelevant when at the pace others have been seeing additional 4300s either in service or waiting to be put in service, there probably aren't even 80 artics to place. The point is they're likely quickly approaching the optimal number of 4300s to put at 103rd so it's soon time to consider assigning what's left at 77th, and I'm sure that's going to be a far cry less than 80. If you want to point out a flaw, next time it's probably better to actually have an actual flaw to point to. ;)

What would be the purpose of thst? The turn at 79th/South Shore is no different than the turn at 83rd/Exhange. Remember South Shore runs on an angle to 79th before straightening out.

OT but the City is extending "Lake Shore Drive" southeast from 79th through the former US Steel property, ending near Harbor Dr and Ewing. Once housing is developed there, I wonder if extending the 6 & rerouting the 26 & 71 becomes an option. The new road is scheduled to be completed this fall. When the housing is completed, it is expected to add 8,000 residents. There was also talk of making South Shore and Exchange one ways north of 79th to handle an expected increase in traffic. This is still a ways off though.

And where would you extend the 6 to? And for that matter to what purpose would there be a need to reroute 26 and 71? That's definitely going to be the questions asked by those riders in Hyde Park and along 67th and South Shore Drive who from their perspective will be having their bus routes moved needlessly. As it stands Lake Shore Drive runs to 67th yet the 6 still operates locally south of 47th Street. I think the whole idea behind extending Lake Shore Drive was to speed up the car traffic by having longer portion of highway that moves traffic nonstop with less traffic signals. I doubt they were thinking about the buses when formulating that equation of extending Lake Shore Drive.

And who said anything about adding 80 artics to 77th dude? That comment is irrelevant when at the pace others have been seeing additional 4300s either in service or waiting to be put in service, there probably aren't even 80 artics to place. The point is they're likely quickly approaching the optimal number of 4300s to put at 103rd so it's soon time to consider assigning what's left at 77th, and I'm sure that's going to be a far cry less than 80. If you want to point out a flaw, next time it's probably better to actually have an actual flaw to point to. ;)

I'm just saying there aren't any good choices. One you complain that NP and Kedzie are overstocked. Well then where would you put the extra artics? 77th? We'll the last I looked only 20 #4300's were delivered, that's 80 coming in soon to go somewhere. Most likely 103rd will transfer the #4000's out to somewhere. That's what happens when you order more artics and don't have the facilities yet (lifts at not yet artic capable garages)in place to use them. The only other reasonable option is to stock 103rd with 30 more artics, (keeping what they have left for #4000's, and not using #4300's extensively on the #J14, even though that's where they should be) even though you may end up not needing them or being able to use them for #26, and put 50 artics at 77th. Even that's a stretch as 77th has never had more than 43 or 44 artics and that's when they ran the #6.

And where would you extend the 6 to? And for that matter to what purpose would there be a need to reroute 26 and 71? That's definitely going to be the questions asked by those riders in Hyde Park and along 67th and South Shore Drive who from their perspective will be having their bus routes moved needlessly. As it stands Lake Shore Drive runs to 67th yet the 6 still operates locally south of 47th Street. I think the whole idea behind extending Lake Shore Drive was to speed up the car traffic by having longer portion of highway that moves traffic nonstop with less traffic signals. I doubt they were thinking about the buses when formulating that equation of extending Lake Shore Drive.

There is no highway extension at all. The portion south of 79th that is being built is only getting the Lake Shore Drive name to attract interest. It will be nothing more than an arterial street with two lanes in each direction, hence the idea of.making South Shore Drive one way and Exchange one way north of 79th to better handle a projected increase in traffic. Thus the rerouting I mentioned applies to local traffic only, and only if an increase in population density in that area warrants it. I know the Metra Electric is nearby, but it's a.40 minute ride from 93rd to Randolph currently.

There is no highway extension at all. The portion south of 79th that is being built is only getting the Lake Shore Drive name to attract interest. It will be nothing more than an arterial street with two lanes in each direction, hence the idea of.making South Shore Drive one way and Exchange one way north of 79th to better handle a projected increase in traffic. Thus the rerouting I mentioned applies to local traffic only, and only if an increase in population density in that area warrants it. I know the Metra Electric is nearby, but it's a.40 minute ride from 93rd to Randolph currently.

The impression I got was that it would be more of a parkway type of street, with the main purposes of serving any community that would be built, and, of course, getting rid of all the turns on US 41 when it snaked around the now nonexistent U.S. Steel South Works. See, for example, this Tribune story.

I had even thought about whether it would be named South Shore Drive, in that the existing South Shore Drive goes to 83rd (where, not coincidentally, the old 1 Drexel-Hyde Park bus terminated), and this appears to start at 79th.

I had thought of extending 6, but it seems that that idea has been thoroughly digested by the rest of you, and, again, I am somewhat convinced that we are again dealing in the realm of fiction.

• Upvote 2

I'm just saying there aren't any good choices. One you complain that NP and Kedzie are overstocked. Well then where would you put the extra artics? 77th? We'll the last I looked only 20 #4300's were delivered, that's 80 coming in soon to go somewhere. Most likely 103rd will transfer the #4000's out to somewhere. That's what happens when you order more artics and don't have the facilities yet (lifts at not yet artic capable garages)in place to use them. The only other reasonable option is to stock 103rd with 30 more artics, (keeping what they have left for #4000's, and not using #4300's extensively on the #J14, even though that's where they should be) even though you may end up not needing them or being able to use them for #26, and put 50 artics at 77th. Even that's a stretch as 77th has never had more than 43 or 44 artics and that's when they ran the #6.

20 and counting that at present are still going to 103rd until a certain cutoff point, correct? So explain how and where I'm saying 80 artics go to 77th? If anything they could probably just hold on to some of what remains of the 4000s still at 103rd and also spread some to 77th. And yeah I did make the point that Kedzie and NP are overstocked. Big whoop. When I made that statement, I made it from the standpoint of if NP has to be at close to 130 artics, then leave at that and break up the rest out of the 308 artics we'll have in total after this delivery in an even break between Kedzie, 77th and 103rd considering something has to run the Dan Ryan shuttles this summer and you made the point that 77th would be a good choice in operating them. The 15 to 20 extra 103rd would have in that set up could be used for operating at least one of the shuttle routes with extra spares for the 6 and 14.

Who says NP and Kedzie won't get any #4300's? Now if the #6 went back to 77th, I'd say they may get #4300's. I personally think their getting #4000's. 103rd may be getting #4300's now, but they don't need more than what the #J14 and #6 can handle. I'm told they don't like using artics on the #26 because of some of the turns on the south side. So that puts no more than 50 something for 103rd and that's if they plan on removing wraps they just put on. The only argument that is valid for putting #4300's at 77th is for the Dan Ryan closure. It all depends how badly they feel they need them for that.

If this theory is applied to all artic routes then there should be no artics on #151 or #146 or #152 school trips, because they all have tight turns somewhere along the route especially #151. As Jajuan pointed out #6 has been operating mostly artics all along with no problems so #26 shouldnt have any problems.

If this theory is applied to all artic routes then there should be no artics on #151 or #146 or #152 school trips, because they all have tight turns somewhere along the route especially #151. As Jajuan pointed out #6 has been operating mostly artics all along with no problems so #26 shouldnt have any problems.

Look at this picture and tell me... do you think we can take artics off of #152 for Lane Tech school trips? This is a NOVA LFS during dismissal of school. The bus was packed from back to front onto the wheelchair ramp.

post-10-13582825481883_thumb.jpg

The turning radius is different for #4300's than #4000's. That may be one of the reasons these buses are going to mostly all one place with wide turns. We shall see, if the #26 goes heavily #4300, then that theory is debunked. (But probably after the #J14 gets it's #4300 vehicles that's it for 103rd.)

Look at this picture and tell me... do you think we can take artics off of #152 for Lane Tech school trips? This is a NOVA LFS during dismissal of school. The bus was packed from back to front onto the wheelchair ramp.

Cool your cylinders my friend. If you look at his post closely he wasn't saying that the artics should be removed from the 152 school trips. He was pointing out a perceived flaw with what Bushunter was told about why the 26 uses less artics than the other two express routes at 103rd that uses them. And one thing I can point to that's flawed with the theory Bushunter was told is that the 26 was using more artics for quite an extended period before the decision was made that they'd be using more 1000s on the route. So thinking back on that if the turns were such a problem, they wouldn't have used so many artics on the route for so long. And if we want to speak tight turns, look at 136. It has to make a northbound stop at Irving Park and Marine immediately after that right turn it makes after coming off the Drive. Similar situation for 135 and 146 at Belmont coming northbound. And 147 (as well as 136 and 146) makes that turn at Sheridan and Foster on a daily basis with little problems despite Sheridan narrowing down just before the intersection. The northbound right turn at that intersection is tighter than the southbound turn and each artic manages to make it through.

• Upvote 1

... Now I wonder will they be doing that to the rest of the Novas or perhaps the 1000 series new flyers for their gut rehab. Once again great photo.

The imponderables are:

• There is still the ongoing procurement for 50-150 articulated buses.
  • Artics, whether displaced by this order or in the ongoing procurement, don't appear to be needed on the current routes that have artics.

Hence, because a Nova got overrun with students (sw didn't indicate if this was a regular run or "Additional service may be provided on school days" ) doesn't necessarily mean that that will happen two years down the road.

However, I would watch out for the handless person from the Rock Island Arsenal. B)

The imponderables are:

• There is still the ongoing procurement for 50-150 articulated buses.
  • Artics, whether displaced by this order or in the ongoing procurement, don't appear to be needed on the current routes that have artics.

Hence, because a Nova got overrun with students (sw didn't indicate if this was a regular run or "Additional service may be provided on school days" ) doesn't necessarily mean that that will happen two years down the road.

However, I would watch out for the handless person from the Rock Island Arsenal. B)

I'm sorry I took my last post off the pic I commented on cause I thought that was the nova bus that had the same kind of seats that you see on some of the higher 4000 series artic buses. A few days ago while I was working the 6 I believe I saw a nova bus with those black seats the higher number artics have. I was wondering when did they install those seats on the Novas and will they be doing the same thing once they gut rehab the 1000 series new flyers.

I'm sorry I took my last post off the pic I commented on cause I thought that was the nova bus that had the same kind of seats that you see on some of the higher 4000 series artic buses. A few days ago while I was working the 6 I believe I saw a nova bus with those black seats the higher number artics have. I was wondering when did they install those seats on the Novas and will they be doing the same thing once they gut rehab the 1000 series new flyers.

That seems to go back to CTA indicating that it didn't have any preference between the American Seating InSight and 4One Aries seats. However, the dimensions seem similar, and the only real concern would be whether the new orders have longitudinal seating.

But the only thing that is apparent in that picture is that someone put their luggage on the wheel well cover. No seats are shown.

That seems to go back to CTA indicating that it didn't have any preference between the American Seating InSight and 4One Aries seats. However, the dimensions seem similar, and the only real concern would be whether the new orders have longitudinal seating.

But the only thing that is apparent in that picture is that someone put their luggage on the wheel well cover. No seats are shown.

Maybe the next order will have a few artics with longtitutional seating that'll get sent to NP who in turn will push it's lower numbered ones out