More Bus Moves

sw4400

More than likely, the passenger would yank the steering wheel causing it to go off the embankment.

Anyway, the only buses on the Kennedy Expressway are deadheads. The only "expressway" on which CTA buses operate in service is LSD.

If anything, I would see if the door cherry stopped the bus.

I think you misunderstand the locations in the example... on Montrose and Addison, the street traffic runs over the Kennedy Expressway, unlike say Irving Park where the street traffic runs underneath it.

If there were people on the bus, why didn't they act to stop the bus? Maybe there wasn't enough time, but maybe there was. I know there is a shield the New Flyers use for protection, but it should be easy to unlock and open, then push the operators leg off the accelerator, apply the brakes and steer the bus away from obstacles as best you can until the bus completely stops, then apply the parking brake and put the bus in Neutral. I know it sounds like I'm sounding like being 'Superman" here, but sitting in your seat petrified or screaming won't help steer the bus away from in this case twenty parked cars or awaken the bus driver who is out due to a medical emergency. That's where someone has to be crazy brave and attempt to stop the operator-less bus.

Who knows why no one who may have been on board were able to stop the bus. Being a "Superman" is probably not a good idea when youre getting bounced around inside a bus full of metal! In most cases people tend to panic at a situation and not know what to do.

I think you misunderstand the locations in the example... on Montrose and Addison, the street traffic runs over the Kennedy Expressway, unlike say Irving Park where the street traffic runs underneath it.

If you are recreating the Seattle scenario, it is still kiss you a-- goodbye.

Well Tracy Swartz of the RedEye has continued her riding every bus route of the CTA pledge now that we have new routes and new forms of routes from CTA's crowd reduction plan and it's into its second week.

Yep, but 37 was once there, and that portion isn't any different than the line that was there 2 weeks ago. Next week, 115 might be slightly different.

Yep, but 37 was once there, and that portion isn't any different than the line that was there 2 weeks ago. Next week, 115 might be slightly different.

Right again, but the general consensus on the CTA's part anyway has been to treat that route in particular as if no one in the general public realizes that fact about the 37. And how much attention can we expect a news reporter who admittedly doesn't ride the CTA on a regular basis to make that connection?

Another crazy attacking a Bus Operator, this time on Rt. #78 just a few minutes ago. Thankfully, CPD got him!!!

Montrose is currently NOVA heavy(6733, 6725, 6583, 6798, 6768 and 6800 with the exception being 1242), so my guess is it was a NOVA involved in the crash near Kimball.

Story

Strangely, the current version of the Tribune story says it was bus 6818.

Strangely, the current version of the Tribune story says it was bus 6818.

Well before I linked that story, I looked at bustracker to find a bus on Montrose that was delayed since the incident occured less than 15 minutes ago, but all I saw was the buses listed above, so either 6818's GPS was not working or shut off by the time I checked the tracker.

Good thing a passenger was able to restrain this @$hole so the police until the police got to him and arrested him. Seems the start of a new year is no deterrent to rank stupidity.

Again leads to the debate about whether passengers should intervene.

Again leads to the debate about whether passengers should intervene.

Well, not to sound all Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock-ish, but I think in some situations, passengers should. If that Bus Operator is injured or worse yet killed, you're on a bus out of control that can smash into anything in it's path, causing more destruction and injuring/killing more people on the bus. Wouldn't you at least make an attempt to subdue the attacker and/or get control of the bus if the Operator is unable to? Maybe it wouldn't make a difference, but maybe it would. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

It's basically a judgment call on whether you do or not. I don't recommend that any get all vigilante with any psycho that gets on a bus or train because this could have easily gone the wrong way super fast with an even worse result. But in this case you got a good result in that this bozo is now off the street. A better way I should phrase my last post is that it was a good thing there was someone on board who had the strength and self defense know how to hold this moron down long enough until the police could get to the bus and cart him off to jail.

It's basically a judgment call on whether you do or not. I don't recommend that any get all vigilante with any psycho that gets on a bus or train because this could have easily gone the wrong way super fast with an even worse result. But in this case you got a good result in that this bozo is now off the street. A better way I should phrase my last post is that it was a good thing there was someone on board who had the strength and self defense no how to hold this moron down long enough until the police could get to the bus and cart him off to jail.

I know the police themselves will tell you that it is stupid to interfere in a ongoing skirmish. That a good way to injure yourself or even be killed. You don't know all the tricks that can be played upon you. The police train for surprises, so there split second action is better than the average person. Plus they are armed to handle extreme circumstances. I know there's the temptation to be a hero, but it's best to leave that to the experts. I guess it boils down to "do I want to risk losing my life over this?" As far as the bus CTA does have plenty of insurance for the bus and passengers.