More Bus Moves

sw4400

Plus you didn't make clear what was the issue. The walker blocking the aisle or the belongings on the seat? Were you trying to convey that the belongings on the seat was blocking someone who used a walker from sitting down? As unlikely as it sounds for all anyone else knows, the belongings could have belonged to the walker using passenger as I've been on buses where folks got on with walkers packed with belongings and they're range of motion displayed suggesting that they had no real use of the walker other than transporting all the stuff they brought on the bus.

This is why I stand most of the time and I'm always the usher for the walkers.... well out on Cottage Grove.

Plus you didn't make clear what was the issue. The walker blocking the aisle or the belongings on the seat? Were you trying to convey that the belongings on the seat was blocking someone who used a walker from sitting down? As unlikely as it sounds for all anyone else knows, the belongings could have belonged to the walker using passenger as I've been on buses where folks got on with walkers packed with belongings and they're range of motion displayed suggesting that they had no real use of the walker other than transporting all the stuff they brought on the bus.

I should've, since my photo caught both... the issue I was bringing up was the belongings on the seat. The guy who they belong to was standing over by the wheelwell on the right. When he first boarded, he took the seat right next to these(the two transverse ones I think you call them). After putting his stuff on them for a few minutes, he decides "There just isn't enough room here." So he proceeds to move his belongings to the seats I took a photo of there. Now I bet if some more disabled people boarded, or if a wheelchair did board, he would've kept things as they were, forcing others to have to move.

As for the walker, it should've been folded, I agree. That guy with the walker was already seated, so the other rude passengers' luggage wouldn't have bothered him. But the luggage guy clearly in plain view just put all his stuff up there, basically taking all three seats.

Honestly I can't see Kedzie losing any artics. I would imagine once 103rd is maxed with artics, the remainder of the not yet delivered 4300s will go to 77th, which shoyld also get 1st dibs on any subsequent deliveries of new artics from the next batch of buses.

I'm gonna assume kedzie might lose some artics eventually . But once 103rd maxes out then technically the 77th/South Shops ™ would be left but I have a feeling that either Archer gonna resurface or another garage will build cause were out of space after this delivery of the 4300's

I'm gonna assume kedzie might lose some artics eventually . But once 103rd maxes out then technically the 77th/South Shops ™ would be left but I have a feeling that either Archer gonna resurface or another garage will build cause were out of space after this delivery of the 4300's

CTA was out of space before this, other than limiting 77th to about 250 buses, so 77th is the logical place, for that reason as well as being the closest to the soon to be closed Red Line.

But given that Archer was advertised for sale twice, and no one has announced a garage building program other than the rehabs, I'm not putting money on those two alternatives, although CTA has done reversals before.

I'll also have to say that no one has reported any Novas retired or put on hiatus pending the Red Line project in recent history as of yet.

:mellow:

CTA was out of space before this, other than limiting 77th to about 250 buses, so 77th is the logical place, for that reason as well as being the closest to the soon to be closed Red Line.

But given that Archer was advertised for sale twice, and no one has announced a garage building program other than the rehabs, I'm not putting money on those two alternatives, although CTA has done reversals before.

I'll also have to say that no one has reported any Novas retired or put on hiatus pending the Red Line project in recent history as of yet.

Yeah CTA was out of space before all this mess. And the novas will more than likely remain throught till 2014 well I'm just guessing cause the Red line project and the simple fact that I can't picture them being savageable as work buses.

:mellow:

As for the walker, it should've been folded, I agree. That guy with the walker was already seated, so the other rude passengers' luggage wouldn't have bothered him. But the luggage guy clearly in plain view just put all his stuff up there, basically taking all three seats.

So what would you have liked the bus operator to do?

So what would you have liked the bus operator to do?

It's a gray area when dealing with customers, T8H5307A. I know many of the do's and don't's of handling unabiding customers. At the same time, if someone in need of those seats came on board and said space taker didn't move his stuff upon request, forcing that person to ask you to make him move the stuff, would you? That's where the gray area comes in, as you'd probably have to curb the bus to most likely argue with this guy about taking all those seats, and if you do nothing, maybe nothing comes of it or maybe the person in need becomes irate with you, writes down the bus number, run number and your operator number and calls the CTA on you.

It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario... I've been in a few myself.

I know the CTA is supposed to start having Bus Operators order parents with strollers to fold them up now. That's going to be a headache on your parts as I've seen Clark St. Bus Operators arguing with parents about their unfolded strollers and listening to their parents give the Operator hell about it.

It's a gray area when dealing with customers, T8H5307A. I know many of the do's and don't's of handling unabiding customers. At the same time, if someone in need of those seats came on board and said space taker didn't move his stuff upon request, forcing that person to ask you to make him move the stuff, would you? That's where the gray area comes in, as you'd probably have to curb the bus to most likely argue with this guy about taking all those seats, and if you do nothing, maybe nothing comes of it or maybe the person in need becomes irate with you, writes down the bus number, run number and your operator number and calls the CTA on you.

It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario... I've been in a few myself.

I know the CTA is supposed to start having Bus Operators order parents with strollers to fold them up now. That's going to be a headache on your parts as I've seen Clark St. Bus Operators arguing with parents about their unfolded strollers and listening to their parents give the Operator hell about it.

Interesting that you mentioned strollers as I witnessed a young lady bring one onto bus 542 operating on the 84 Peterson. Yes yet another Optima running on the 84 again in the space of a week. (My first time riding an Optima bus). It was a standard sized stroller, but it took up the whole front end of the bus given we're talking about a 30 footer to begin with. And I have to question the wisdom of an Optima being allowed on a route like the 84 once again. It may have been midday this time around that an Optima found its way on the 84, but with my short ride from Clark to California this bus was still on the verge to being standing room only even before the stroller was brought on board because that model's entirely too small to serve a route of even the 84's ridership.

Honestly I can't see Kedzie losing any artics. I would imagine once 103rd is maxed with artics, the remainder of the not yet delivered 4300s will go to 77th, which shoyld also get 1st dibs on any subsequent deliveries of new artics from the next batch of buses.

77th should get first crack at any new buses coming in, since they currently have the oldest buses around.

Relatively speaking, that would mean FG, Chicago, and 74 (and any strays at NP) would get them to.

Only North Park if you're talking 4000's and 4300's. Until the Garage rehabs are completed(which won't begin until Spring 2013 and end in 2015), Chicago, 74th and Forest Glen are not artic-capable. The only garages are North Park, Kedzie and 103rd(I thought 77th was, but they have no artics according to Kevin's roster page, so I guess they aren't artic-capable either).

Story

Only North Park if you're talking 4000's and 4300's. Until the Garage rehabs are completed(which won't begin until Spring 2013 and end in 2015), Chicago, 74th and Forest Glen are not artic-capable. The only garages are North Park, Kedzie and 103rd(I thought 77th was, but they have no artics according to Kevin's roster page, so I guess they aren't artic-capable either).

They are artic capable, and have had both NABIs and DE60LFs assigned there (in addition to the old artics) over the years.

They lost their artics following the NABI parking, which greatly reduced the artic availability. They got them back once the 4000s were delivered in sufficient numbers, and had them until the 6 moved to 103rd in 2010.

In fact, we already had this discussion a few months ago in the More New Flyers thread.

Also, if you insist on "photographic evidence" you can find a few NABIs on 77th runs here.

• Upvote 3

They are artic capable, and have had both NABIs and DE60LFs assigned there (in addition to the old artics) over the years.

They lost their artics following the NABI parking, which greatly reduced the artic availability. They got them back once the 4000s were delivered in sufficient numbers, and had them until the 6 moved to 103rd in 2010.

In fact, we already had this discussion a few months ago in the More New Flyers thread.

Also, if you insist on "photographic evidence" you can find a few NABIs on 77th runs here.

I speculated they did have artics, but at a quick glance at Kevin's roster page, I only saw Kedzie, North Park and 103rd assigned artics. I'm surprised they haven't got any back with the NABI junk I believe starting to make it's way to 95th/Ewing for scrapping. I mean they're seriously not going to keep that garbage parked at 77th until 2015, which is the 12th year of "service life" for those buses.

I speculated they did have artics, but at a quick glance at Kevin's roster page, I only saw Kedzie, North Park and 103rd assigned artics. I'm surprised they haven't got any back with the NABI junk I believe starting to make it's way to 95th/Ewing for scrapping. I mean they're seriously not going to keep that garbage parked at 77th until 2015, which is the 12th year of "service life" for those buses.

If you look back at that thread, or the 11/14/12 agenda there was an item to approve a contract to scrap them.

You should try to keep up.

NF artic #4059 must've transferred from 103rd to Kedzie because I spotted that artic on #62 Archer on Bus Tracker.

I don't know about 4061 or 4065, but Kedzie has 4000-4060 as of now while NP has ex-103rd buses 4066-4079. 4062-4064 are still at 103rd for the time being.

Nutcase or potential terrorist on the Chicago Avenue bus. (Story)

One can make an inference from the booking photo, although it is still open whether he is legally insane.

If you ask me the bond is to low.

IMO, he isn't going to come up with the $9,000 cash bond (10%). If he is released pending trial, I bet it is with conditions. And if it is terrorism, the feds will get involved. Probably will, anyways.

One can make an inference from the booking photo, although it is still open whether he is legally insane.

IMO, he isn't going to come up with the $9,000 cash bond (10%). If he is released pending trial, I bet it is with conditions. And if it is terrorism, the feds will get involved. Probably will, anyways.

Right. I personally would be surprised if the feds didn't get involved given the nature of what this idiot is charge with in what is a post 9/11 world.