More Bus Moves

sw4400

Yes.

Also, the #39 Pershing route, which was operated frequently with Optimas when it was operated out of 77th, is now also operated out of Kedzie. As a result, 77th gave up all seven of its Optimas to FG (getting all of FG's Novas from 6820 on up in return).

I think 103rd gave up their optimas to FG as well because #518 is on the #54A

I think 103rd gave up their optimas to FG as well because #518 is on the #54A

You may be correct. Lately, the UofC routes that are still being operated (for now), which were originally supposed to be operated using either narrow buses or short buses, have been operated using regular 40-foot NF buses. In return for some of the Optimas, 103rd got NF 1254-1257 from FG.

I was a bit off. 103rd still does have a few Optimas.

Also, I found no evidence of route "sharing" this morning outside of the #49 and the #151. This means that nearly all of the routes appear to each be operated out of one garage (this means that all runs on the #8 are out of 77th). Kedzie still has a couple of the Lake Shore express routes, and they also have the new #37 Sedgwick route.

For those who had been missing the 49 being all Nova during daytime hours, I can tell you that as of yesterday now that 94 is assigned completely to 74th that garage is running the 94 as just about all Novas.

I noticed this on almost all of the other routes that were shared between two or more garages prior to this December pick. For example, prior to the pick the #82 was shared between Kedzie and North Park. Now, all trips on the #82 that are not school-day-only trips are operated out of Kedzie. And 77th now no longer supplements 103rd on the #29, #30 and #71; all three of those routes are now entirely 103rd routes.

The #200-series Evanston routes are now operated by either North Park (#201) or Forest Glen (#205, #206). Previously, the two garages shared operation of all three routes (as they formerly jointly operated the #97 on weekdays). Now, all trips on the #97 are out of North Park.

As for the #151, I discovered that the trips are not necessarily shared between Kedzie and North Park per se: Kedzie got all of the short trips to either Belmont/Halsted or Water Tower while North Park got all of the longer trips to Devon/Clark or (on Sunday mid-to-late evenings) Howard (Red/Purple/Yellow Line) terminal. That makes the #49 as the only route that's truly shared between two garages (74th and North Park) on a regular basis (although all overnight trips on that route are out of 74th).

As for the #151, I discovered that the trips are not necessarily shared between Kedzie and North Park per se: Kedzie got all of the short trips to either Belmont/Halsted or Water Tower while North Park got all of the longer trips to Devon/Clark or (on Sunday mid-to-late evenings) Howard (Red/Purple/Yellow Line) terminal.

That's the way it has been for a long time.

Surprised that Optimas are no longer working at South Side anymore.

Actually, 103rd still has a few Optimas. Just not as many. They had 19 before the December 2012 pick. With the threatened elimination of the UofC routes, 103rd gave up a couple of them to Forest Glen.

77th no longer has any Optimas. The seven they had (519-525, IIRC) were used primarily on the #39 and occasionally on the #43. Now that 77th gave up the #39 to Kedzie, the Optimas were rendered surplus to 77th's needs (especially since they gained Nova buses 6819-6831 and 6833-6847 from Forest Glen), so out they went (to Forest Glen).

#1543 is running 95E 93rd/95th. What did 74th get in return for sending all of those flyers to 103rd?

Well they did have extra from the stand point that in the fall pick Kedzie sent back not only what they had from 74th in the summer pick but also a few extra behind those. Instead of just getting back 1152-1159 they also got the 1100s behind those up to about 1166. But it does look like from your sighting of 1543 on 95E they are back at a slight shortage against what they had at the year's start.

Actually, 103rd still has a few Optimas. Just not as many. They had 19 before the December 2012 pick. With the threatened elimination of the UofC routes, 103rd gave up a couple of them to Forest Glen.

77th no longer has any Optimas. The seven they had (519-525, IIRC) were used primarily on the #39 and occasionally on the #43. Now that 77th gave up the #39 to Kedzie, the Optimas were rendered surplus to 77th's needs (especially since they gained Nova buses 6819-6831 and 6833-6847 from Forest Glen), so out they went (to Forest Glen).

Yes and Forest Glen is pretty much using them for their share of the Evanston routes from yesterday's reports and sightings.

I've also noticed that #4047 and #4028 are operating on the #66

Ok, Thanks. I think we can all say that Kedzie is Sharing responsibility with Chicago Garage. Chicago does'nt have artics! Hopefully Chicago receives some D60LFR. On bustracker i am currently watching 1627, 1187, 1644, 4009. I also took a Screenshot.

post-1356-1355924981675_thumb.jpg

Ok, Thanks. I think we can all say that Kedzie is Sharing responsibility with Chicago Garage. Chicago does'nt have artics! Hopefully Chicago receives some D60LFR. On bustracker i am currently watching 1627, 1187, 1644, 4009. I also took a Screenshot.

Just a tip: You get a better screenshot if you click on the "Route Progress," because that "ruler view" has all the bus numbers at the top, and you can bring one forward by clicking on it. However, I do see the 4009 at Navy Pier.

Chicago does'nt have artics! Hopefully Chicago receives some D60LFR.

As mentioned earlier, the only articulated-capable garages are North Park, Kedzie, 77th and 103rd. Chicago, Forest Glen and 74th are unable to house and/or work on 60' buses until they get a rebuild. IMO, that would probably require more land space to enlarge the buildings(especially indoor garages) as you're talking an additional 20' per articulated bus at a garage. What do you do with the 40' buses? Like cutting routes, I don't think the CTA thought this through... sure you can enlarge the repair bays to accomodate articulated buses, but where do you park them when not in use if you don't have the space? I've mentioned about Forest Glen needing articulateds, and members on here noted that they don't have the room in their lots unless they buy space around them and turn it into additional lots. I'm sure the same can be said for Chicago and 74th as they are in the same boat, space-wise(especially for Kedzie and 74th, which are indoor garages). They might have to knock down a section of their facilities to expand to accomodate 60' buses as well as the 40' buses.

As mentioned earlier, the only articulated-capable garages are North Park, Kedzie, 77th and 103rd. Chicago, Forest Glen and 74th are unable to house and/or work on 60' buses until they get a rebuild. IMO, that would probably require more land space to enlarge the buildings(especially indoor garages) as you're talking an additional 20' per articulated bus at a garage. What do you do with the 40' buses? Like cutting routes, I don't think the CTA thought this through... sure you can enlarge the repair bays to accomodate articulated buses, but where do you park them when not in use if you don't have the space? I've mentioned about Forest Glen needing articulateds, and members on here noted that they don't have the room in their lots unless they buy space around them and turn it into additional lots. I'm sure the same can be said for Chicago and 74th as they are in the same boat, space-wise(especially for Kedzie and 74th, which are indoor garages). They might have to knock down a section of their facilities to expand to accomodate 60' buses as well as the 40' buses.

You basically would get around that in the case of 74th and Chicago maybe through a combination of transferring some 40 footers out to other garages (obvious first step) and maybe lightening the total number of routes assigned if possible while retaining routes where you know you could get away with having more artics out on the street for long stretches of the day. You would also do your lighter load routes the same. If you've got more buses out on the street you get more storage space from not having to park those buses. You basically have storage considerations from runs not being in service.