More Bus Moves

sw4400

This is a hoot!!!... :P:lol:

From CTA's Facebook page

Name left omitted on this forum

Thanks Bus 4462 for practically causing an accident this morning at Lawrence just inside Montrose you went right thru the stop sign causing two of us to slam on our brakes. t says STOP.
Couple of standout notes I get right away...
  • There is no Bus 4462 anymore. The 4400-Series TMC RTS buses were retired in 2008. Even if they were around, 4462 would've been assigned to North Park, not Forest Glen
  • Lawrence just inside Montrose??? That's a big area since Lawrence(4800 N.) and Montrose(4300 N.) parallel each other throughout the city basically. They don't intersect at any point.

Perhaps 1462?

I wouldn't expect a member of the general public to know the CTA roster, depending on surrounding circumstances, this is a very plausible error.

That was my speculation too, but 1462 is out of Chicago Garage. What route could use 1462 that is at Lawrence just inside Montrose as this person posted?

My thoughts on what bus this person could be referring to:

1762(NP)

4062(NP)

4162(NP)

6762(FG)

1262(FG)

The artics I posted are another possiblity, but what route could be using them that would be at Lawrence just inside Montrose?

I'm modifying this post over possibilities of buses because I realized I misread that person's post on CTA's Facebook page. They said the offending bus was spotted at Lawrence just inside of Montrose. They slightly jumbled the words but the only way the post makes sense is that they meant they were driving or walking on some unnamed north-south directed street between Montrose and Lawrence. That would mean they could have encountered a bus on the 78, 81, 81W or any north-south route that crosses either of those. That would include the 53 which is a Chicago route and makes Railwaymodeler's guess a valid one along with all the buses listed by sw. If the person was near the lakefront, then the artics sw listed would come into play because they could have been on operating on the 136, 146 or 148.

Edited by jajuan

With respect to the new CTA advertising policy; who thought it would be a good idea to accept ads from a newish on-line service that calls a taxicab to your specific location? I mean; people are potentially waiting for a bus (your service). But he|she sees a sign on another bus informing his|her about this fancy new mobile phone service which wants to take him|her away from your service. This is, IMO, far worse than accepting an automobile ad (of which I saw one Red Line "L" car's interior bejeweled with ads for the Fiat mini-car).

With respect to the new CTA advertising policy; who thought it would be a good idea to accept ads from a newish on-line service that calls a taxicab to your specific location? I mean; people are potentially waiting for a bus (your service). But he|she sees a sign on another bus informing his|her about this fancy new mobile phone service which wants to take him|her away from your service. This is, IMO, far worse than accepting an automobile ad (of which I saw one Red Line "L" car's interior bejeweled with ads for the Fiat mini-car).

In that CTA works on an accounting system where they lose $1 a boarding, it comes out $1 ahead plus what they get from the advertiser. Even in the real world, CTA decrowds the bus, and if it decrowds it to the extent it isn't needed, they cancel it, so CTA still comes out ahead.

And on the car point, there is a Chicago Card Plus/i-Go, as well as various parking deals under the L tracks.

Just looking at this one photo I took at the Greyhound Station (while burning time waiting for the Dunkin Donuts to open), I notice 1717 has no ads on it, was it recently wrapped for something?

8965254431_6e443443b1_t.jpg
CTA 1717 by TheTransitCamera, on Flickr

(Apologies for the poor quality BTW)

At first I was wondering if it was a rebuild, but the back door still has the typical NFI LF model rusting underneath, which should be removed or at least painted over with any type of rebuild work.

Just looking at this one photo I took at the Greyhound Station (while burning time waiting for the Dunkin Donuts to open), I notice 1717 has no ads on it, was it recently wrapped for something?

At first I was wondering if it was a rebuild, but the back door still has the typical NFI LF model rusting underneath, which should be removed or at least painted over with any type of rebuild work.

Could've just gotten washed or spent time at the repair shop for something. I don't know if they take everything off as far as ads go when they repair buses. I know the New Flyers should have already begun rotating out of service for their gut rehabs. If they haven't, they will very soon, as that is due to start this year. I believe when they are completed, the buses will have a "new" appearance as the CTA says... creating almost-new buses(Link)

I would suspect the following changes:

• Uniform LED Interior Lighting for all 1,029 or 1,030 buses(whether they do/did 1005 or not)
  • Rebuilt Cummins Engines and rebuilt Transmissions(I don't know if they will just rebuild the ISM engines or give them a rebuilt Cummins ISL engine, but that might affect fuel mileage as 1000-1629 are heavier buses as they are steel frames and 1630-2029 are carbon frames).
  • Interiors. All buses will have the same seating design. The lower 1000's will be retrofitted with the seats found on the higher 1000's if they haven't already been. Interiors will be repainted/replaced where necessary.

While the lack of advertisements might not be rare, the lack of ad frames, including on the bike rack is, especially since most buses have The U ads (WCIU TV 26.1) on the bike rack.

But a rehab this high up the fleet number chain isn't likely yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess if the passenger can't get on wherever they're waiting for the bus, they follow the Bus Operator and burn you with hot coffee after a good scolding. Story

To that passenger(who is arrested thankfully)... I hope you get your comeuppance for your insane decision on how to deal with not getting picked up in a non-bus stop area. <_<:angry:

Guess if the passenger can't get on wherever they're waiting for the bus, they follow the Bus Operator and burn you with hot coffee after a good scolding. Story

To that passenger(who is arrested thankfully)... I hope you get your comeuppance for your insane decision on how to deal with not getting picked up in a non-bus stop area. <_<:angry:

So, there are two assaults in 3 days. People really are getting nuts.

This sort of sounds like the radio story a couple of days ago when someone chewed out a clerk at Wendy's over "I said a hamburger, not a cheeseburger and you incompetents always get it wrong [bleep]." Except that at the Wendy's by me, the menu sign says "Dave's -- With Cheese."

Since this was on North Central, maybe this dolt can go over to Milwaukee Ave. and see if the Pace 270 Posted Stops Only bus stops elsewhere than under a 270 sign.

After initially saying there was no word of an arrest, the Tribune now has a pretty quick arrest.

I bet the 82 bus doesn't stop at other than a sign, either.

Well look for folks to be even nuttier tonight, so far only in a good way, with the Blackhawks winning the Stanlely Cup tonight. But anyone who rides the 22 Clark shouldn't expect to get down Clark Street through the Wrigleyville area with all those fans from the sports bars completely blocking the street.

Well look for folks to be even nuttier tonight, so far only in a good way, with the Blackhawks winning the Stanlely Cup tonight. But anyone who rides the 22 Clark shouldn't expect to get down Clark Street through the Wrigleyville area with all those fans from the sports bars completely blocking the street.

Bus 4183 got through (according to Chopper 7), but I bet that was the last one.

Bus 4183 got through (according to Chopper 7), but I bet that was the last one.

If it was between 10 and 10:30 then yeah it was very likely the last one for a few hours since hockey fans practically poured out those Wrigleyville bars near Wrigley Field and very immediately had Clark shut down shortly before 10:30. From what I saw on Skycam 9, Madison near the United Center was no better even though the game was in Boston and not here at home.

If it was between 10 and 10:30 then yeah it was very likely the last one for a few hours since hockey fans practically poured out those Wrigleyville bars near Wrigley Field and very immediately had Clark shut down shortly before 10:30. From what I saw on Skycam 9, Madison near the United Center was no better even though the game was in Boston and not here at home.

Basically, Wrigleyville I don't get. United Center I do.

Supposedly, there was some gunfire on the south side, but I doubt that there are many Hawks fans there.

• Upvote 1

Supposedly, there was some gunfire on the south side, but I doubt that there are many Hawks fans there.

Well just from looking at my circle of friends or coworkers, there is no boundary of where you'll find a Black Hawks fan especially if you're talking about a die hard Chicago sports fan. You'll find a Hawks fan anywhere in the city including the South Side. But I will agree to some extent that any reported gunfire on the south side was unrelated to celebrating a Hawks championship win.

As jajuan said, hockey fans can be found anywhere there was a watering hole during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and Wrigleyville is big on watering holes.